• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else seriously dissapointed that Rosalina is a lightweight in this game?

godogod

Smash Ace
She's tall as Waluigi in this game, and she's been heavy in the MK games. I don't get why she's getting the Mewtwo treatment. Is the dev team worried about girl's self esteem issues with weight or something? Do we really need another lightweight princess/? We already have Peach, Zelda, Sheik, Jigglypuff, and Zero Suit Samus. WTF is likely lightweight. Samus with suit is heavy, which makes sense.. But I'd really like a diverse line up of female characters from a wide range of weight class. Another heavy and medium would be great. Rosalina and Platuna would have fit the mold perfectly for medium/heavy.

Hell this worries me that Mewtwo will be light again(assuming Mewtwo comes back).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be fair, 100 is the average weight value, and Mario's weight is actually below average. How a fighter is considered to be lightweight tends to be an odd dilemma, but one can probably guess that if the fighter's weight value is below 100, he/she is in the lightweight category.

Now, Rosalina has always been heavier than Peach, so having Rosalina's weight range between 91 and 99 seems tolerable. And if Rosalina is heavier than Mario, that would really deliver some irony with Sakurai's statement.

It's also important to keep in mind that a floaty character does not necessarily equal a lightweight, since Samus is very heavy for a floaty fighter. Likewise, Fox falls very fast for a lightweight fighter.

godogod

Smash Ace
I never equated floatiness with heaviness or their fall speed.

Samus's floaty jumps is already represented in the metroid games, especially in the metroid prime series.

I think it would be interesting if Mewtwo's heaviness depended on if he was in ground or air. When he's on the ground, he clearly isn't levitating(other than walk/running). Ground could be heavy weight, and mid air could make him lighter/easier to KO. Would be an interesting metagame feature for him to justify the levigation excuse that Sakurai made in Melee. They could do the same with Rosalina. I dunno.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Her being very light is to balance her out. Imagine if rosalina was heavy she'd never die lol

Being super tall and very light is a nice balance so she won't become broken or anything like that.

I would say I can imagine her being around brawl Falcos weight.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Falco is lighter than Peach though, so it would seem very odd for Rosalina to be that light. But seeing as Yoshi is unusually heavy in Smash Bros., anything could happen.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Falco is lighter than Peach though, so it would seem very odd for Rosalina to be that light. But seeing as Yoshi is unusually heavy in Smash Bros., anything could happen.
Fun fact in brawl Falco, Fox, Zamus and Marth are all lighter then Peach.

In smash sakurai doesn't follow canon weight. He made snake heavier then samus, charizard and ganondorf.

Rosalina being lighter then peach would probably be for balancing reasons. I'm okay with it. We wouldn't want another mk in smash 4 lol

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina will never be like Meta Knight at all (he's as short as Kirby, and the top five lightweights are never taller than the Mario Bros.), so it wouldn't really matter much if she does end up outweighing Mario.

All that really matters is that her floaty attributes can give us the lightweight vibe, but it could also deceive us at the same time. No matter how heavy a fighter is, if he/she is floaty, then he/she is Star KO vulnerable.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Honestly it makes sense to me that the space princess would be light and floaty.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Honestly it makes sense to me that the space princess would be light and floaty.
Well, she's always been heavy (like in Mario Kart games) because her control over Gravity keeps her rooted better, if I'm not mistaken.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Well, she's always been heavy (like in Mario Kart games) because her control over Gravity keeps her rooted better, if I'm not mistaken.
While that is true in Mario Kart Wii's case I kinda disagreed with the idea there as well though at the same time it did kinda make sense because her model was larger than the medium and small racers, that and it'd be a little weird for Rosalina to be driving the little kiddie vehicles so the devs kinda put themselves in a corner with that when they decided to add Rosalina.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
While that is true in Mario Kart Wii's case I kinda disagreed with the idea there as well though at the same time it did kinda make sense because her model was larger than the medium and small racers, that and it'd be a little weird for Rosalina to be driving the little kiddie vehicles so the devs kinda put themselves in a corner with that when they decided to add Rosalina.
That's where baby Rosalina comes in.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's also rather interesting how Yoshi is heavy in Smash Bros., but is either light or medium everywhere else.

Anyway, Diddy was classified to be a lightweight in Brawl, but he was actually heavier than Peach there. Therefore, Rosalina could follow the same page as Diddy in that her floaty attributes make her seem lightweight, but in reality, she's actually heavier than the Mario Bros..

Remember, floaty does not equal light, as Samus has shown us, much like how being a fast faller does not equal heavy, as Fox has shown us.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Sakurai straight up said she is lightweight. Being tall and lightweight is gonna be what balnaces her out which is important in a fighting game. Making rosalina heavy would be asking to make her broken.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Sakurai straight up said she is lightweight. Being tall and lightweight is gonna be what balnaces her out which is important in a fighting game. Making rosalina heavy would be asking to make her broken.
Yeah and she'll be lethal either way anyway because despite the fact that she'd be easy to juggle and knock out if you manage to get to her, pro Rosalina players will not only learn to work combos between her and Luma, but they'll eventually grow comfortable with the character that they can use Rosalina and Luma indivisually especially when they get put in situations where Luma has been eliminated and the opponent is putting so much pressure on Rosalina that she's not given a chance to summon another Luma and I think we can all guarantee that's going to happen a lot.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We still don't have any idea on if the Luma can be summoned manually, nor do we know how quickly it'll get summoned. That could play a factor on how Rosalina can regroup.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
We still don't have any idea on if the Luma can be summoned manually, nor do we know how quickly it'll get summoned. That could play a factor on how Rosalina can regroup.
We've seen her summon the Luma in the direct and her animation while doing it gives enough time for a nearby opponent to interrupt her.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We've seen her summon the Luma in the direct and her animation while doing it gives enough time for a nearby opponent to interrupt her.
I hate to break it to you, but that pose is more taunt material, if anything. There's obviously something that we're missing about the Luma Shot special, but I guess that should be brought up at another location.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I hate to break it to you, but that pose is more taunt material, if anything. There's obviously something that we're missing about the Luma Shot special, but I guess that should be brought up at another location.
I remember the Luma appearing after that specific animation, I don't think it's a taunt.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I remember the Luma appearing after that specific animation, I don't think it's a taunt.
The same pose was used again, but no Luma was summoned out of it. There's also the Smash Bros. Direct to take note as well, as the pose that Rosalina used to call back the Luma may also summon a new one. And of course, there's also the scenario where the player could summon a new Luma, no matter what Rosalina is doing.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
The same pose was used again, but no Luma was summoned out of it. There's also the Smash Bros. Direct to take note as well, as the pose that Rosalina used to call back the Luma may also summon a new one. And of course, there's also the scenario where the player could summon a new Luma, no matter what Rosalina is doing.
Alright I just went back and watched both Rosalina's trailer and her demonstration in the direct again and from what I gathered, the animation I thought I remembered was actually in her trailer, so that's probably her summon animation while she has a much faster animation when she does the Luma shot, that said I don't think ahe'll be able to summon Luma during ANY situation, just under normal circumstances but since the Luma is AI controlled, if you have a Luma out you can still control Luma's attacks if Rosalina gets grabbed or something.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Until E3 2014, nothing is certain. We'll probably get our answers for Rosalina at that point, especially with her weight and Luma mechanics.

_KArMa_

Smash Rookie
I that summoning deal was more of here entrance as they showed how mega man would have entered.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I that summoning deal was more of here entrance as they showed how mega man would have entered.
I don't think so because a character's intro usually has them coming onto the battlefield in some way, Rosalina only summoning a Luma for her intro without showing how she got onto the battlefield doesn't make much sense to me, plus we've seen that the Luma could be killed which likely means there HAS to be a way to summon another one andthe scenein her trailer where she summons the Luma, that looks like a summoning ability, or it could be both her summon AND her intr as Olimar flies into the battlefield in his ship and when he gets out he plucks out three Pikmin to start the match off.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
It's gonna be like Olimar; W/O Luma St. Special summons the Luma, then St.Spec again while synced is Luma Shot, and then while desynced St. Spec one last time is to pull the Luma back manually if the auto marching is too slow for our tastes. It's like if you had to press B again in between Olimar Kirby plucking the Pikmin in order to toss it.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Rosalina has been confirmed to be a flat out lightweight. Also, the lightest light weight is under 87 (Zelda has a value of 85, the middleweight borderline is Marth, who has a weight value of 87). Rosalina will probably be 85.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Diddy was confirmed to be lightweight in Brawl, but his weight (93) actually exceeds Peach's weight (90). Rosalina has always been portrayed to be heavier than Peach in the Mario spin-offs, so it's possible that her weight value could range between 91 and 99; 100 is average.

Besides, even if Rosalina turns out to be heavier than Mario, she may be sent flying more easily than him, because of her floaty attributes.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
When was he confirmed to be a light weight? Source?

I think if Rosalina weighed anything more than 95, she'd be broken. It would make sense for her to be lighter than Peach, to balance her attribute of having the Luma fight for her (and this is assuming Lumas have high health). Also, that Luma Summon amimation from Rosalina's trailer is likely her summoning animation. While she does do it again, a Luma is likely out already, AND in Brawl, when Olimar does his Pikmin Pluck, the animation still plays through, even when he already has 6 pikmin.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Rosalina is heavy in Mario Kart cause she isn't constantly doing the anti-gravity floaty thing

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I mainly play heavy (and sometimes slow) characters in fighting games, so naturally I would prefer Rosalina to be heavier. Am I disappointed? Not yet. I need to try her first and see how she plays. MAYBE being a light weight will have its advantages in the end. One thing is for sure: Given how tall she is, she shouldn't be a lightweight character. It just feels... wrong.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I mainly play heavy (and sometimes slow) characters in fighting games, so naturally I would prefer Rosalina to be heavier. Am I disappointed? Not yet. I need to try her first and see how she plays. MAYBE being a light weight will have its advantages in the end. One thing is for sure: Given how tall she is, she shouldn't be a lightweight character. It just feels... wrong.
In Melee, :mewtwomelee::roymelee:
In Brawl :zelda::zerosuitsamus:

Rosalina has a significantly stronger moveset than any of these characters. So she having the Mewtwo complex balances her out. Plus, Rosalina tbh shouldn't be fighting. Isn't her whole gimmick havign the Luma fight for her? That would be like saying oh Marth has a sword so his damage hitboxes should all be equalized no matter where he lands his (for example) forward smash. No, Marth's gimmick is tippers. His flaw is if he fails to land them. Rosalina's flaw is when Luma goes bye bye. If Luma is dead, Rosalina's should not be able to fight back (and still be good) and never die because of her heaviness. I feel that if a character has a gimmick that makes them good, then if they can't use the gimmick they should be bad. Rosalina should be a light weight tbh. Only way that balances her out.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina can fight without the Luma though, so it's not like her situation is the same as Olimar's. And remember, heavier characters can be easier to send flying than lighter characters if they're floaty; reference Samus and Fox if you need to, as Fox is harder to Star KO than Samus, despite of his light weight.

Of course, we already know that Rosalina's weight will be below average, but for her large height, it just seems rather absurd for her weight value to be lower than 90.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
She's a capable fighter. And logic doesn't apply in Smash. Mewtwo bottom tier. Kirby being able to beat up Ganondorf. Snakes's tilt hiboxes. Zero Suit Samus being 6'3 and having a weight value of 79 in Brawl. Rosalina could be around 85. I can see it. I doubt it tbh.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Last I've checked, no one with a weight value lower than 80 is taller than Fox. Also, Zero Suit Samus's weight value is 81 in Brawl.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I bet Rosalina is being made light purely because the Luma will make her such a difficult character to approach and land a hit on. It's a pure balance move to keep Rosalina from being an overtly difficult character to kill, with a hand wave explanation to give it sense from a non-gameplay standpoint. A character absurdly difficult to approach like Brawl Olimar that was also heavy would be an incredibly frustrating character to fight, that would likely bring balance issues (speaking of Olimar, he's another character that should be lighter; the gimmick, the character source, and his size, has no business meriting a weight of 82 and outweighing several characters, when he should weigh around 75 and be one of the lightest in the game).

While normally I think the "make tall/big characters light" is really dumb and harms such characters significantly (Mewtwo being so light when he should have been one of the heaviest was a travesty), I think it was a great design decision in the case of Rosalina for the reasons explained. A character with her abilities should be really easy to hit and kill when you get in on her.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I bet Rosalina is being made light purely because the Luma will make her such a difficult character to approach and land a hit on. It's a pure balance move to keep Rosalina from being an overtly difficult character to kill, with a hand wave explanation to give it sense from a non-gameplay standpoint. A character absurdly difficult to approach like Brawl Olimar that was also heavy would be an incredibly frustrating character to fight, that would likely bring balance issues (speaking of Olimar, he's another character that should be lighter; the gimmick, the character source, and his size, has no business meriting a weight of 82 and outweighing several characters, when he should weigh around 75 and be one of the lightest in the game).

While normally I think the "make tall/big characters light" is really dumb and harms such characters significantly (Mewtwo being so light when he should have been one of the heaviest was a travesty), I think it was a great design decision in the case of Rosalina for the reasons explained. A character with her abilities should be really easy to hit and kill when you get in on her.
I have been saying this for a while. Hopefully they listen to you, because you have actual status here as a lab worker.

Top Bottom