• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else seriously dissapointed that Rosalina is a lightweight in this game?

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
1- Weight in Mario Kart comes from size. Bigger Karts for bigger people. Rosalina is big, thin, but big. She owuldn't fit comfortably in a Peach-sized kart.

Please use Mario Kart 8 to see what this is all about.

2- balancing. A puppeteer character like her shouldn't have good defenses outside of her puppet

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Thank you! Most people don't realize that the different weight classes in Mario Kart are actually for the karts themselves with characters going by their sizes. If Mario Kart actually did class characters by weight, Rosalina would be middleweight, and King Boo would be the lightest lightweight in the game. But since King Boo is a big ball of ghost-ishness and Rosalina's damn near 8 feet tall, they're both in the heavyweight class.

Skyle

Smash Rookie
I think her floatiness sort of contributes to the fact that she's from space, a galactic princess, it also suits her moveset well.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina isn't actually light weight, she's just floaty.

For example, Samus is heavy, but floaty.

Rosalina seems a little above average weight, but floaty. It's going to be easier to knock her off the side or the bottom of the stage as opposed to the top.

However, she seemingly has momentum cancelling abilities (not coming to a dead stop, but greatly reducing her launch distance). I've seen her survive launches at very high percents, and that's how she was seemingly doing it.

Sakurai's Miiverse post was just worded poorly, he meant she was floaty due to her anti gravity effect (plus, she was also floaty like Luigi in 3D World).

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest

Rosalina seems a little above average weight, but floaty. It's going to be easier to knock her off the side or the bottom of the stage as opposed to the top.

However, she seemingly has momentum cancelling abilities (not coming to a dead stop, but greatly reducing her launch distance). I've seen her survive launches at very high percents, and that's how she was seemingly doing it.
This seems to be the case.

We can see Rosalina survive launches that would completely betray a lightweight character. I say she sits somewhere between Mario and Captain Falcon in terms of her actual weight, but she is just really floaty.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950

Sakurai's Miiverse post was just worded poorly, he meant she was floaty due to her anti gravity effect (plus, she was also floaty like Luigi in 3D World).
Wrong. She'll never die from horizontal KOs, not even tipper forward smashes from Marth. Vertically? Fox up smash at 80-85, EASY. When was the last time you saw Samus die off the sides? Remember, fast fallers=resist vertical KOs. Floaty=resist horizontal KOs.

Plus she's really thin. I don't see her matching weight with Mario. I mean even if you compare her to PM Mewtwo, at least Mewtwo had a canon weight of 269 lbs. Rosalina has no canon weight (and no. MK is not canon).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
When was the last time you saw Samus die off the sides?
Last time I played a Smash game? It happens sometimes.

Though I never said Samus was easy to KO off the sides, just that she's an example of a character that is floaty but heavy.

Rosalina would easily be average weight. She'll be quite a bit heavier than Peach anyway, that's for sure.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Last time I played a Smash game? It happens sometimes.

Though I never said Samus was easy to KO off the sides, just that she's an example of a character that is floaty but heavy.

Rosalina would easily be average weight. She'll be quite a bit heavier than Peach anyway, that's for sure.
With her straw bodd, I'd beg to differ lol.

Either way, its fair to say that she'l be one of the lighter middle weights (like Peach is) in the game. I mean when her Luma is gone, she shouldn't be living to 200%.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Either way, its fair to say that she'l be one of the lighter middle weights (like Peach is) in the game. I mean when her Luma is gone, she shouldn't be living to 200%.
It's not exactly a "straw bodd" at all. It kinda can't be BECAUSE she's so tall:

Her thighs are pretty thick, she's got some nice fat around the waist, she has broad shoulders, and she's got a big bobble head. She could certainly be heavier than Mario.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But she's nowhere near as tall as Rosalina. Rosalina simply has a lot more mass than ZSS, she'd have to be noticeably heavier.

and whatchoo talking bout rosalina's thickness is legit yo

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

It does depend on the attacks that she's taking though. If the attacks don't have much knockback, then reaching 200% damage is quite possible for Rosalina.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Remember, fast fallers=resist vertical KOs. Floaty=resist horizontal KOs.
This is incorrect, floatyness does not lessen horizontal blows; falling speed does not have any effect on horizontal blows whatsoever (other then slightly influencing the exact trajectory). The reason why some fast fallers like Fox die earlier horizontally than lighter floatier characters is because they have a high gravity value, which then causes them to actually sustain more knockback than some lighter characters (more gravity = more knockback). This gravity also causes them to die vertically sooner than they should with their weight and falling speed since they're sustaining more actual knockback, which is why Fox's vertical endurance is on the low end in Brawl despite still having his insane falling speed, unlike in Melee where it was among the high end (as gravity didn't effect knockback in Melee).

For gravity, it correlates with falling speed (all the space animals have high gravity values, and all the super floaties have low gravity values), though they're not completely dependent on each other, as you have the likes of Squirtle and Bowser with among the highest gravity values despite their more floaty falling speeds, while Dedede and Snake have middling gravity values despite falling as fast as the space animals (which is why those two also take horizontal hits ridiculously long despite falling much faster than the other super heavies).

Now meteor smashes and other downward hitting moves will be directly worse on fast fallers, while not being as effective on floaties.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
This is incorrect, floatyness does not lessen horizontal blows; falling speed does not have any effect on horizontal blows whatsoever (other then slightly influencing the exact trajectory). The reason why some fast fallers like Fox die earlier horizontally than lighter floatier characters is because they have a high gravity value, which then causes them to actually sustain more knockback than some lighter characters (more gravity = more knockback). This gravity also causes them to die vertically sooner than they should with their weight and falling speed since they're sustaining more actual knockback, which is why Fox's vertical endurance is on the low end in Brawl despite still having his insane falling speed, unlike in Melee where it was among the high end (as gravity didn't effect knockback in Melee).

For gravity, it correlates with falling speed (all the space animals have high gravity values, and all the super floaties have low gravity values), though they're not completely dependent on each other, as you have the likes of Squirtle and Bowser with among the highest gravity values despite their more floaty falling speeds, while Dedede and Snake have middling gravity values despite falling as fast as the space animals (which is why those two also take horizontal hits ridiculously long despite falling much faster than the other super heavies).

Now meteor smashes and other downward hitting moves will be directly worse on fast fallers, while not being as effective on floaties.
I stand corrected. My bad guys.

Top Bottom