• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else modding their Wii JUST FOR THIS GAME?

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
Er,
We don't know if the modded Wii's are going to brick when Brawl comes out do we?
Whats the odds of it happening? (considering the fact that Brawl has to go online to play over wifi)

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I was wondering, are there stores that could mod Wiis? I fear doing it myself because I would likely ruin it lol! I found a site where I can buy SSBX, and I'm willing to pay te money, I just need to know if their are stores that mod your Wii!

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys get it modded at a place near you? Its illegal right...? And I really wanna mod it (European fan) but dunno what to do or how to do it :S

Card

Smash Lord
Er,
We don't know if the modded Wii's are going to brick when Brawl comes out do we?
Whats the odds of it happening? (considering the fact that Brawl has to go online to play over wifi)
I actually heard something about that.

I was going to get myself a modded wii for my import version of Smash, but after hearing something one of my friends told me, I decided not to and opted to just borrow his modded Wii instead. He told me that there is word going around of a new forced patch on all games released after February 1st, and if the modders don't pay attention their Wii may get bricked... I don't really know the fine details since I'm not in-tune to the whole modding scene, but it sounded very risky to begin with, and will probably be very troublesome for people with modded wiis down the line.

I'll just make a public service announcement to all people who are considering modding their Wii's; You are in for the long haul. Mod chips are not "easily" removed, since they are soldered onto the Wii's chip set. Nintendo will continue to release forced patches, for years to come (I can't stress that enough), in order to detect all Mod chips and Brick Wii's which have them. You will have to download upgrade patches for your Mod Chips, burn them to a DVD (if you don't have a DVD player, you're already in trouble there), and run them in your Wii in order to update your ModChip so it wont be detected by Nintendo's patch.

All this hassle to play 1 game a month earlier, in my humble opinion, is not worth it. (Unless you are a dirty pirate... then I don't want to speak to you :ohwell:)

It's the reason I decided NOT to go through with it.

So just think about it.

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
how can i sit and watch everyone in japan and america playing this game...while im in the house all alone.. :(

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Lol, not modding my Wii now! If only I had the disposable funds to buy a *** Wii and SSBX :(

Kingkiron

Smash Rookie
Had my wii modded today, some guy near me was selling the wiikey and installing it for $70, Fully modded now, I don't care if my wii breaks as long as I get to play Brawl for a month. The only reason I bought a wii was brawl. Plus if my wii breaks I'll just buy another one, college student with lots of disposable income ftw.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
I have a job and would be able to fork out the money to buy both the Japanese wii and SSBB, but my patience far exceeds my love for blowing money that isn't exactly wise to blow. I don't want to mod my wii either, so there goes that.

I've waited more than 6 years for a new smash, another few months won't kill me, or force me to spend over 300$ at least.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
No but I am getting an american Wii+Brawl when it comes out.

I means seriously, if I was american I could wait a month, but we euros dont even HAVE a release date, this constant "lol europe" thing in gaming is really pissing me off, but thats something for another topic.

So no, no modding, but buying another Wii.

Am I crazy? yeah, but I really dont want to wait until like July or whatever >.>

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Woaw, Nintendo is going through all that hassle? More proof that they are dumb. Honestly though, they sure as hell better give us a demo in Febuary, because Febuary will be the least hyped month for Brawl since it was announced at E3 2005, seriously.

Seriously though, demo or no hype. Let us hope for the demo, especially since I think the demo channel comes out in Febuary. >_<

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Ah.. I'm done with modding. Too much money on the line now so I just stick to what I can do easiest.

-Onyx

ro0kie42

Smash Apprentice
i bought my modchip literally the day after the delay. i was thinking about it for awhile. the delay just tipped the scales.

ZMoney

Smash Rookie
I'm about to mod my wii in the next week. I'm going to use yaosm 2.0. I have found the site with everything I need:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/yaosm/6...gamecube-audiofix-everything-fits-12f629.html

I haven't done all the research yet but would like to know more about:
1. possible bricking due to Nintendo updates (previously discussed but I want more details)
2. how to update to newer versions of yaosm (can you just burn a dvd and flash it or do you have to remove the chip and reprogram it)

Anyone have any knowledge on these subjects?

AdeptLoki

Smash Rookie
I was thinking about it but I don't think I would go as far as mod my Wii just to play the game.

Kurosagi

Smash Apprentice
I'll just make a public service announcement to all people who are considering modding their Wii's; You are in for the long haul. Mod chips are not "easily" removed, since they are soldered onto the Wii's chip set. Nintendo will continue to release forced patches, for years to come (I can't stress that enough), in order to detect all Mod chips and Brick Wii's which have them. You will have to download upgrade patches for your Mod Chips, burn them to a DVD (if you don't have a DVD player, you're already in trouble there), and run them in your Wii in order to update your ModChip so it wont be detected by Nintendo's patch.

There's an option just to turn off the modchip all together, in which case, there will be no problem.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
There's an option just to turn off the modchip all together, in which case, there will be no problem.
He meant that the chip will then become part of the wii itself and that to play future games you will have to update the Mod chip peridoically or else your just in trouble, its not as easy as it seems.

ZMoney

Smash Rookie
That's what I thought. When it comes time for an update you just switch the mod chip off, update, and then turn it back on.

Sparkchu

Smash Apprentice
As much as I love to mod, I don't want to risk damaging a system I stood up all night in the cold for...
I'd really want a demo though, most likely to play at the Wii kiosk at the mall...

Card

Smash Lord
That's what I thought. When it comes time for an update you just switch the mod chip off, update, and then turn it back on.
From my understanding, that's not how it works...

You still need to periodically upgrade your modchip before every update.

Picture this, You have Modchip version 1.3 (took a number at random) and Nintendo's current patch cannot detect it. Nintendo then releases a forced patch update, which is used to detect all Modchips which are version 1.3. If you TURN OFF your Mod Chip, take the Update, then TURN ON the modchip, what do you think happens? The Patch says to the ModChip "Oh my, hello where did you come from...? BRICK"

Also I am assuming that all the current Wii Modchips are Internal, so its not like you can toggle a switch at the back of the console to turn it off.

Lecto2007 understood what I meant; My point has nothing to do with Turning off your Modchip, it has to do with UPDATING your Modchip periodically. It's not an easy task. What happens if you install a Modchip purely to play an Import version of Smash... then like 4 years down the line you the New Zelda game comes out (or whatever...) You cannot play it because you need to patch your Modchip with the proper files to bypass the security that Nintendo would be enforcing. So then you gotta search around on the internet, downloading "potentially" risky files, burning them to a DVD, running them in your Wii, downloading the new patch to your Modchip, etc..... etc..... etc.....

I'm just saying, know your information before you get your head in too deep.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Okay, okay. If I want to do this, could I send my Wii to any of you to do it for me? I will pay S&H and the chip.

How are you supposed to get the game tho?

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
From my understanding, that's not how it works...

You still need to periodically upgrade your modchip before every update.

Picture this, You have Modchip version 1.3 (took a number at random) and Nintendo's current patch cannot detect it. Nintendo then releases a forced patch update, which is used to detect all Modchips which are version 1.3. If you TURN OFF your Mod Chip, take the Update, then TURN ON the modchip, what do you think happens? The Patch says to the ModChip "Oh my, hello where did you come from...? BRICK"

Actually, most of the chips now (including mine) are "stealthed", which means they auto-turn off when updating your Wii. But I don't think you can use the chip after updating your Wii and before updating your chip. I never tried.

Also I am assuming that all the current Wii Modchips are Internal, so its not like you can toggle a switch at the back of the console to turn it off.
You are correct, but some people are not trusting on their chip furtivity, or they do not have a stealthed chip so they add a switch at the back of the console, exactly what you said. :)

Lecto2007 understood what I meant; My point has nothing to do with Turning off your Modchip, it has to do with UPDATING your Modchip periodically. It's not an easy task. What happens if you install a Modchip purely to play an Import version of Smash... then like 4 years down the line you the New Zelda game comes out (or whatever...) You cannot play it because you need to patch your Modchip with the proper files to bypass the security that Nintendo would be enforcing. So then you gotta search around on the internet, downloading "potentially" risky files, burning them to a DVD, running them in your Wii, downloading the new patch to your Modchip, etc..... etc..... etc.....
With stealthed chips, some Wii updates only disactivate the chip (not all updates, i only had to update the chip once, but I have it since 2 monthes only). You must then download a new version of the chip to make it compatible with the new patch. In the exemple you gave, you could just not download that update and leave the chip "dead" to play that Zelda.

Kingkiron

Smash Rookie
Mod chips only change the signal from the dvd drive to the motherboard, it is impossible for nintendo do detect them, the only way to brick your Wii is to install a firmware update from another region, so when using games from another region use a simple program called BrickBlocker to patch the file to never download, simple as that.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
What you are saying is only partially right. Yes, Nintendo cannot detect a modchip, but it can detect if the dvd read is an original or not. See Super Mario Galaxy. (chips were updated in less than a day)
But they didnt brick anything so you're right.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
yes.

thought about it for a while, but the extra delay tipped the scales (im in PAL region anyway).

plus, it's not illegal in Australia to own or install a modchip. It is, of course, illegal to download games and play them.

I don't know why i didn't do this before. Games in america are half the price of Australian games; i could save a lot of money and waiting time just getting a mod chip and importing all of my games.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
yes.

thought about it for a while, but the extra delay tipped the scales (im in PAL region anyway).

plus, it's not illegal in Australia to own or install a modchip. It is, of course, illegal to download games and play them.

I don't know why i didn't do this before. Games in america are half the price of Australian games; i could save a lot of money and waiting time just getting a mod chip and importing all of my games.
and thus the best reason for European Wii players to get mod chips.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Ah all this Modchip business. You are likely gonna set yourselves back $100 US just to get ity all set up. If you just want to play American Imports, get an American Wii. It comes with an extra Wii remote for your already exisiting Wii, and youll never have to worry about updates or screwing it up. Plus you could easily sell it off if you find you have no use for it. Just my take on the matter.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
I have a few questions that people in this thread might be able to answer.

my friend just got back from china, and today i find out he got a japanese wii, modded, while over there. as well as 20 games, 10 of which work (not really relevant)
anyway, so i hit me with in about 3 secs that he can play brawl on it years before aus gets it, and i plan to pretty much live at his house for a while.

1.) he only has 2 motes, but he has a brother, and his gamecube controllers dont work in it, would i be able to sync my AUSwiimotes onto his JAPwii?
2.) if we were to DL a pirate version of it, would we just have to burn it onto a duel layer disc
3.) while i think i know the answer, and i'm not sure you are allowed to tell me anyway, where would be a trust worthy source to DL brawl from (i don't feel guilty about doing this, as i intend to buy the real one when they release it here, and i don't want to wait a year to play, after everything is spoiled by you guys)

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Actually, most of the chips now (including mine) are "stealthed", which means they auto-turn off when updating your Wii. But I don't think you can use the chip after updating your Wii and before updating your chip. I never tried.

You are correct, but some people are not trusting on their chip furtivity, or they do not have a stealthed chip so they add a switch at the back of the console, exactly what you said. :)

With stealthed chips, some Wii updates only disactivate the chip (not all updates, i only had to update the chip once, but I have it since 2 monthes only). You must then download a new version of the chip to make it compatible with the new patch. In the exemple you gave, you could just not download that update and leave the chip "dead" to play that Zelda.

What kind of Modchip to you have...because my friend is putting a Wii Key in his console for the JPN version and we'll play that till the US version comes out and i'm afraid when it auto updates for the US his Wii will be bricked...

and to answer lethmite's question.
i don't think Wii's take duel layered discs. most likely the dvd will be 4.7gbs probably maxed

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I'm gonna be a noob and ask a few things about modding:

1) If your console is online, is it a bad idea to mod?
2) What will modding your console affect? (downsides)
3) How easy/cheap is it to mod?

I'm an EU gamer D: if I could get a Freeloader I'd import it in a heartbeat... but no freeloaders on 7th gen consoles :-/

EDIT: I'd be getting the US version of course, unless the EU version is only released a month after.

Top Bottom