• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone dissapointed that Lucas ran away like a.... in SSE?

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I wasn't particularly pissed, but my friend was flipping out, lol.

My theory though is that if you saw someone get turned into a trophy right in front of you, I'm pretty sure you would run, too.

Plus he IS just a kid.

David Mathis

Smash Cadet
yeah, they were just portraying the fact that hes a scarred little kid. ness was the main character of the mother series, so hes the tough guy that saves everyone. and lucas clearly isnt lawllwa.

great greeat greatttt games though, i beat mother.. 2 i think... but i didnt beat it :( i couldnt beat the last boss :( and i gave up..

but yeeah

D00D64

Smash Cadet
great greeat greatttt games though, i beat mother.. 2 i think... but i didnt beat it :( i couldnt beat the last boss :( and i gave up..
Let me guess... You just attacked him repeadedly. THEY DO NOTHING. When pokey yaps about calling for help, make Paula use pray every turn.

Anyway, I say it suites them perfectly. Also, if someone has a gun to INSTANTLY transform into a trophy, I would pull back. Lucas should have used PK Thunder to bust it from a safe distance though.

SMS028

Smash Rookie
I was extremly pissed. Ness just protected you and you just run. I feel like a real friend would stay and fight.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Lucas is a reluctant hero, he didn't set out to save anyone, he's just a little kid....But the BEST part about Lucas, is even though he's scared, and everything sucks for him he comes through in the end.

And remember this, he isn't even friends with Ness, he dosn't know who he is.

Ness is a Hero, no questions asked. He will save the day.

There are diffrent kinds of heros, you should be glad they aren't the same, contrast is what makes things better!

japtar10101

Smash Apprentice
Lucas lives thousands and thousands of year after Ness in Mother 3. :|

He was so ashamed of himself when he was saved by a caveman, he ran away sobbing. In the end, he Sepukku-ed because his honor was violated.

Back to reality: I was actually impressed that the cinematic portrayed Lucas accurately during the age he was 9 or 10. Then again, because he looks as tall as Ness in the cinematic, he looked like he was 12 to 13, where it's clear in Mother 3 he's starting to act up like a man. If Lucas was 12/13 in the cinematic (I can't tell because of their super-simple design), then those reels totally ruined Lucas' true awesomeness.

I vaguely remember nearly swelling with the last lines of Mother 3 before the ending scenes: "Will you put your life and all the lives of the people who believe in you on the line and remove the needle?" (translation taken from spookychee from Gamefaqs. All rights goes to him/her/...it?)

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Someone already stated this, but there's a definite contrast in the 2 characters in the Mother series. Ness does very little growing up from the get-go; he's a good kid, and within the first 2 hours of the game you've calmed the local gangsters down, killed a titanic ant, and corrected a corrupt police department. By yourself. He has to fight some inner demons later on, but that's only to unlock his hidden potential.

Lucas' story is much deeper, in the sense that you watch him grow up over time. In the end, he's heroism is comparable to that of Ness', but he had a much rougher and slower start than his counterpart. His brother always overshadowed him.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I thought it revealed character. I like playing him as a timid underdog. Makes me want to help him become strong by getting really good at playing with him.

Nope. I actually thought it was kinda cute :O
Seconded.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
This is kinda random but just occurred to me that Lucas and Luigi are alot alike they're both the younger twin they're both rather afraid alot they're both in the they're older brothers shadow.

As for him running in SSE have you seen Wario he can be pretty creepy I'd run too especially if just turn the dude next to you in to a trophy. Who knows what Wario was going to do to him. He reminds me of a petafile (sp?) I would have ran too.

KoopaTroopa

Smash Journeyman
It didn't bother me too much, maybe at first... But since Ness had such a small part in SSE, I can totally understand Lucas taking a back seat at that part. Plus Lucas was one of the few they actually had a tiny bit of character development for(him being scared then wanting to help/fight).

@Sheer Cold: Lucas and Ness have no relation to eachother. o-o;

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
It didn't bother me too much, maybe at first... But since Ness had such a small part in SSE, I can totally understand Lucas taking a back seat at that part. Plus Lucas was one of the few they actually had a tiny bit of character development for(him being scared then wanting to help/fight).

@Sheer Cold: Lucas and Ness have no relation to eachother. o-o;
I know i never said they were i was referring to his Twin brother Claus.

japtar10101

Smash Apprentice
Ness does very little growing up from the get-go; he's a good kid, and within the first 2 hours of the game you've calmed the local gangsters down, killed a titanic ant, and corrected a corrupt police department. By yourself.
I agree that there's a significant difference between Ness' beginning personality, and Lucas'. Indeed, Ness begins confident, adventurous, even procrastinating against normal life, whereas Lucas begins shy, unconfident, scared, and weak.

But Ness does go through a significant development. One of the part I hated the most was somewhere between Threed and Fourside, Ness will get homesick nearly ever four battles. Frustrating, but it's clear that at some point, Ness starts regretting he went off from home, and wishes he hasn't procrastinated and went off in an adventure. He emotionally weakens the farther he gets away from home, alone.

Of course, like Lucas, he pulls it through (and even fights his own demons!). Perhaps because he made bizarre friends....

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
It was rather cowardly of Lucas to just leave Ness there, but one must remember: he was completely frightened out of his wits. Out of nowhere he's ambushed by bizzare creatures that want him to die, then a massive statue chases him, and finally some weird spider-mech with a corpse in it tries to get him. Then some flying kid appears and kicks pure ***, and then that kid also saves him and gets turned into a statue in the process.

Anybody would just want to run away from all that, even if they had kickass psychic powers, and Lucas, true to his Mother 3 character, is very timid and easily frightened. Notice how when Lucas journeys with Ash (Pokemon Trainer...goddammit, Nintendo...) to save Ness, multiple times he starts to get cold feet but is subsequently motivated by Ash's courage and kindness to keep going.

jimitree

Smash Rookie
Ness is a kid too :p

I didn't expect that to happen, but Lucas does seem frightened most of the time. Ness did seem oddly courageous in Mother 2, now that I think about it.
Ness is actually 13.(but he sounds about 3.)

and anyway, later on, lucas bucked up to wario and stuff.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Lucas lives thousands and thousands of year after Ness in Mother 3. :|

He was so ashamed of himself when he was saved by a caveman, he ran away sobbing. In the end, he Sepukku-ed because his honor was violated.

Back to reality: I was actually impressed that the cinematic portrayed Lucas accurately during the age he was 9 or 10. Then again, because he looks as tall as Ness in the cinematic, he looked like he was 12 to 13, where it's clear in Mother 3 he's starting to act up like a man. If Lucas was 12/13 in the cinematic (I can't tell because of their super-simple design), then those reels totally ruined Lucas' true awesomeness.

I vaguely remember nearly swelling with the last lines of Mother 3 before the ending scenes: "Will you put your life and all the lives of the people who believe in you on the line and remove the needle?" (translation taken from spookychee from Gamefaqs. All rights goes to him/her/...it?)

Sepukkuing is like cutting your stomach open, right? I thought Claus did that! LUCAS DID THAT!? Wow.

japtar10101

Smash Apprentice
Sepukkuing is like cutting your stomach open, right? I thought Claus did that! LUCAS DID THAT!? Wow.
You're suggesting Claus killed himself after he saw a cute, cuddly
, mechanized, corrupted
dinosaur? Hmm...Makes me re-think of the whole game story...honor being introduced
in a peaceful town like Nowhere Isle
, instead of saddness. I always thought that
the mechanical, corrupt dinosaur killed Claus, making
Lucas look good.

Also, Seppuku is the way to an honorable death! You bravely stab yourself in the stomach, and endure the pain. Then you die in the end, but seriously, how else can you be more honorable in suiciding??

Do not underestimate Mitsurugi's stomach-stab move (Soul Calibur 2)!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When I saw how scared Lucas was, I was curious as to why he's such a coward. Eventually, I did the secret taunt with Solid Snake and learned why Lucas is a coward.

Doval

Smash Lord
Notice how when Lucas journeys with Ash (Pokemon Trainer...goddammit, Nintendo...) to save Ness, multiple times he starts to get cold feet but is subsequently motivated by Ash's courage and kindness to keep going.
Off-topic, but it needs to be said. Ash =/= Pokemon Trainer. They're not the same person (because the god-awful anime has deviated incredibly from the games, and because they have visibly different character designs.) Ash is such a nitwit it's downright disrespectful to compare Pokemon Trainer to him.

Pokemon Trainer was pulled directly from Leaf Green/Fire Red (and I say LG/FR as opposed to Red/Blue because the characters got minor redesigns in the remakes). His generic name is an allusion to the fact that the game tried to make the player the main character of the story by having a silent main character you name yourself. It's similar to the tradition of allowing you to name Link in every Zelda game.

Pokemon Trainer's official name is Red. The Rival's official name was Green in Japan, Blue in the US. (In Japan, Red and Green were the originals. Blue was released later with enhanced graphics which were used for the US versions of Red and Blue. The real Blue Version introduced a female character called Blue, whose hat Jigglypuff uses when changed to her blue color swap.)

On topic: I agree with what the others have said, Lucas's running away was in-character, it's a good to have a different kind of hero every now and then, etc.

Top Bottom