• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone dissapointed by Sonic's moveset?

ummyyeeaahh

Smash Cadet
Well I'm really only dissapointed in his B moves. His Up B, the bumper jump, is cool and original and should be left untouched, as should his Down B, the spin dash, but they really screwed up his B, the Homing attack, and his Over B, another slightly different spindash.

His homeing attack is just so useless the way it is now. It's slow, weak, and easy to dodge. It should be an almost instant attack that you have to be in the air to use and you have to be close to the enemy to make it home in on them.

His Over B isn't exactly bad the way it is, it's just that fact that it is almost exactly the same as another move of his that makes me hate it. I think it should be his light dash from the newer games (yeah, most of them suck but they should still be represented) where he quickly dashes across a path of rings. The move would make a line of coins appear in front of him then make him dash quickly across them damaging anyone in the way.

What do you think, are you satisfied with his moves or not. Also, do you like my ideas for moves?

Penguyen

Smash Journeyman
I reckon his down b and side b are too similar. I would've settled for a generic ranged attack like 'ring toss' as long as it was different. But i'm fine with it now.

Yellow Legend

Smash Rookie
Over B and down b are too similar but I like them both. One's original and the other seems like a good combo/recovery move.

His homing attack doesn't look good at all, maybe if it was faster or stronger.

Hopefully Sonic will be good enough to make up for it

MarkSmashMan

Smash Rookie
the homing attack could be used for combo or to stop someone from returning to the field

i hate how his side B is similar to his down B

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
The skies above and the shelter (dorm) at Indiana
Actually, I like Sonic's Over B and his Down B. With Over B, you can set up some quick combos and cover a lot of distance without any charge, and with Down B, you've got a powerful knockout attack (I use that attack with Jigglypuff and Rollout). Now, could there be something better? Yeah, probably. But it works for me, and I'm also a future Sonic main.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I love his moveset. Spindash mindgames! Obviously certain moves aren't going to be used as much compared to others. They'll all have their uses though.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Down B should have been the bounce attack, like he does in Sonic Adventure 2 for example.
The way it is now, I'm not impressed, at all.
The others I'm fine with though.

courte

Smash Lord
yes

after the length sega went to making sonic fighting games and attacks in the recent ones to take cues from, such as the slide attack and the air spin as well as bounce AND Sonic Battle... drop of ball

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I was! For the same reason as courte and i hate that there's 2 spin dashes and a crappy homing attack...

I wish he had other things like light dash,ring throw,Sonic Wind, Chaos Control(he does use it alot when you fight him as Shadow in SA2) skid, that move that i forgot its name in SA2 where you press a direction and jump during a somersault and he kind of hovers and in the gba games where you tap a direction twice when he is jumping and he spins and accelerates... I think it was called jump dash... Hopefully you can jump dash out of spin dashes in brawl... The figure 8 move/peel out is just a taunt... Thats a shame.

There were MANY things they could have done, there was no need for 2 spin dashes...

mattram08

Smash Apprentice
I like Sonic's moves the way they are. They represent his retro roots on the sega genesis. Sonic really doesn't have many options for special moves since he is really based on speed and if he had his light dash people would complain of the similarity to fox. I think Sakurai did this because he didn't really want anyone to have a similar move to another and make everyone unique.

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...
I like Sonic's moves the way they are. They represent his retro roots on the sega genesis. Sonic really doesn't have many options for special moves since he is really based on speed and if he had his light dash people would complain of the similarity to fox. I think Sakurai did this because he didn't really want anyone to have a similar move to another and make everyone unique.
Fails!!
Proof:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
It doesn't matter. The point is that Sakurai wanted Sonic's moveset to be a throwback to his old games. Sonic's moveset is fine stop complaining about it. Especially when you haven't even played the game to know if they're good or not.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Charizard is well known for using fire attacks so what can you expect. Bowser on the other hand T_T

Seriusly I was thinking his VB would be bounce or spindash
His >B I have no clue. Maybe sonic wind.
^B lightning shield jump or the spring
B definitely homing attack.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What he did with Sonic's moveset is alright, when you think about it.. All of his special moves can be used in almost every Sonic game (Except Homing attack, which is a trademark of the New Gen Console Sonic).

I honestly didn't feel comfortable when people sugested "Lightspeed dash" as his side B... along with Sonic Wind, they've each been in just one game.

Homing Attack has been in... 7 as far as I remember. And the rest of moves are seen in every Sonic game.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Not saying that either but considering Charizard is a fire typepokemon people are goingto go, WHERE IS TEH FLAME THROWER!?

Oh and the lightspeed dash has been in nearly every single new gen sonic game.
SA1, SA2, can't remember the others.
And Sakurai is representing the old Sonic games. What's your point?

AtomicBucket

Smash Rookie
I like Sonic's move set. A lot. I grew up with the Sonic Genesis games. They're what got me in to gaming in the first place!

I love how Down-B is spin dash! Side be could have been more original, but I still enjoy the option to do it without charging.

Now all I need is a song from Sonic 2.

courte

Smash Lord
i'd normally say doom Shadow to nothing more than an AT at best but a color for sonic... but looking at this i see potential to pick up where sonic dropped the ball

put him in the sequel and incorporate sonic's current moves within his own unique moves... i don't know what those are i couldn't play sonic battle for over 3 minutes without becoming confused due to lack of a booklet and tutorial

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
And Sakurai is representing the old Sonic games. What's your point?

Beforehand we didn't know what kind of Sonic was aiming for, the fact that he has the homing attack shows he could have had something like the light speed dash.
he isn't straight up old school sonic he has a mix of the new generation as well.
mainly the way he attacks from Sonic Fighters i.e. Windmill punch his >A smash

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
I suggest waiting for the game to come out as some of this is subject to change. I'd imagine most of you haven't even used Sonic yet in the demo either.

domriver

Smash Lord
Sonic is fine the way he is. He is no magician nor a character that can throw projectiles. All his moves are based on basic fighting and his spin attacks.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
I for one, am not dissapointed. (maybe because I'm just an old school fan.) but it's better to go with the classic spindash then with the new "sonic tornado" crap or something like that.

Ryusuke

Smash Cadet
Sonic is fine the way he is. He is no magician nor a character that can throw projectiles. All his moves are based on basic fighting and his spin attacks.
No, but he can do fancy stuff with his anatomy (which SEGA is too lazy to think of now-a-days). Sonic, is after all, the fastest thing alive. Not just the fastest runner. His entire body can go at the speed of sound. Heck, had SEGA gone all out with Sonic, he'd make Meta Knight look silly. Yes, being able to run fast, he's capable of disappearing and punching multiple times. But, I digress.

They based it on the old school Sonic, so, I'm OK with it. Though, Spin Dash would of been appropriate in standard B. They could of done all those functions with just one button. Ah, well.

J18

Smash Journeyman
i think they went a little overboard with the spindashes and such. i think the over B could have been similar to fox's over B, maybe with a sonic boom or something. well either way, i still wanna play him

xXKilla BGXx

Smash Rookie
It doesn't matter. The point is that Sakurai wanted Sonic's moveset to be a throwback to his old games. Sonic's moveset is fine stop complaining about it. Especially when you haven't even played the game to know if they're good or not.
A throwback to his old games? If that was the case, then Sonic wouldn't be capable of performing the Homing Attack.

I agree with the topic creator. I was just about to make a similar topic.

I feel that his standard special (b) move is too slow and it seems that it can only hit one character at a time. I would be highly appreciated if it's much faster and has the ability to hit x amount of opponents at a fast pace just like in his games, in the final version.:)

SomeguyDom

Smash Cadet
Well I'm really only dissapointed in his B moves. His Up B, the bumper jump, is cool and original and should be left untouched, as should his Down B, the spin dash, but they really screwed up his B, the Homing attack, and his Over B, another slightly different spindash.

His homeing attack is just so useless the way it is now. It's slow, weak, and easy to dodge. It should be an almost instant attack that you have to be in the air to use and you have to be close to the enemy to make it home in on them.

His Over B isn't exactly bad the way it is, it's just that fact that it is almost exactly the same as another move of his that makes me hate it. I think it should be his light dash from the newer games (yeah, most of them suck but they should still be represented) where he quickly dashes across a path of rings. The move would make a line of coins appear in front of him then make him dash quickly across them damaging anyone in the way.

What do you think, are you satisfied with his moves or not. Also, do you like my ideas for moves?
The moveset seems fine to me..

Smash-Master9009

Smash Journeyman
i was hoping sonice would have some teleportation move that would take him away from where the most danger is, for like fleeing if you have high damage, or if everyones in a huge group you can quickly get out and attack from the outside.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
The only reason his B is the Homing Attack is because otherwise he'd have to use another variation of spindash because its of total importance that Sonic's lack of variety in moves is like the haxx in the classic Sonic games.

Screw classic. If we'd get an exact emulation of the classic Sonic, with the horrible acceleration(making him more like the slowest character in Brawl), low jumps, and only spindash and spring moves, we'd have a fail character extra in Brawl. Remember that it doesn't matter if a character comes from a great or crap game. Its about the character's potential as a character. Thats exactly why Olimar and Ice Climbers suck so much. Great games, horrid characters.

If you had to choose which character would fit Brawl best, would you take the Sonic from Sonic 2 or the one from Next gen. Naturally, you guys will go for the best game instead of the best character, and you will choose the Sonic from Sonic 2, because that game rocked and because Sonic didn't have an attitude back then. Way to go. Now we have all of his attacks being spring and spindash moves, he'll look ugly, and we have one of the slowest characters in Brawl since the Sonic 2 Sonic is even slower than Mario, can only go fast by spindashing or by running of a hill, and slows down in the air Luigi style.

Now think again? Sonic 2 or Sonic next gen?

LuCKy

Smash Master
a ring toss would have been cool so i could ring camp>_> but oh well.i do love the idea of light dash but i think the flame shield should have been in there somewhere or the magnet shield..hmmm maybe even the magic gloves from sonic adventure battle 2...somehow but i would have loved a fire shield attack

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
I think they should have made his down b a bounce attack so that he doesn't have two spin dashes. If he had bounce attack it could like put opponents in the ground when he lands on them or something, or be used as a meteor smash maybe. They should keep the side b spin dash rather than the down b because it opens up for air combos since it can jump and be canceled. The rest of his moves seem fine to me.

Top Bottom