• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Anyone curious about how hard it'll be to play Smash on a 3DS,

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I love my gold Zelda XL edition 3DS. I love playing on it because it's cool to look at, too. I'm only worried that I will abuse the heck out of it with Smash. I don't want to do that to my precious. I was already hesitant of even playing ALBW on it when I got it, but ah well.

However, I'm sure I will make do with getting comfortable playing on it. It's not a game that I'll be playing while laying back and holding the 3DS above me, so sitting proper and relaxing the hands will help I'm sure.

The 2DS thickness sure looks comfy, though. As long as you aren't glued and stretch your hands/fingers out, all should be well.

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin
Here's the thing, a certain percentage of 3DSes (especially XLs) are prone to their L/R buttons malfunctioning or getting stuck in place because of strenuous use. They just weren't built for so much clicking.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Here's the thing, a certain percentage of 3DSes (especially XLs) are prone to their L/R buttons malfunctioning or getting stuck in place because of strenuous use. They just weren't built for so much clicking.
Well at least we have the temporary blow in the L and R solution.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well at least we have the temporary blow in the L and R solution.
Yet mine completely ****ed up and never worked again once I did that, LOL. Good thing I got a spare 3DS.

You know, I think we should have one jump button this time; make X the jump button and Y the grab button (if L/R+A isn't used).

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yet mine completely ****ed up and never worked again once I did that, LOL. Good thing I got a spare 3DS.

You know, I think we should have one jump button this time; make X the jump button and Y the grab button (if L/R+A isn't used).
You can always just change it that way; the default controllers are just that, default.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Stuff like that is something I'd like; more customizable controls + controller attachment options (like making the right analog stick attachment usable for smash attacks).

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm just gonna go with this.

B = Attack
Y = Special
X/A = jump
L = Grab
R = Block
Select = Taunt
D-pad = movement with double tap to dash.
I won't worry about the circle pad since I don't use the C stick for smash attacks anyway.

I know I'll feel right at home with that cause it'd be identical to my control setup on my PC controller for Super Smash Flash 2.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I was thinking about this since I can't use a CCP(2ds)

A=Attack
B=Special
X/Y=jump
L=Grab
R=Shield
Select = Taunt
D-pad = movement with double tap to dash.
Control Stick=C-stick

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

for the people with broken L and R buttons 1 jump button would be preferable leave Y or A to guard.( so u can still grab manually.)

igloo

Smash Rookie
Maybe the directional pad would be for normal movement and the analog stick would be the c-stick?
Since idk if a wii u is in my near future I'm completely relying on the hope that the 3ds version will be great.

Morbi

Scavenger
Maybe the directional pad would be for normal movement and the analog stick would be the c-stick?
Since idk if a wii u is in my near future I'm completely relying on the hope that the 3ds version will be great.
I hope that we can use the directional pad for movement; I don't want to wear out the stick.

igloo

Smash Rookie
I hope that we can use the directional pad for movement; I don't want to wear out the stick.
I didn't even think of that, damn .-.

I'm gonna really hope that this doesn't become an actual problem when the game comes out. D:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I didn't even think of that, damn .-.

I'm gonna really hope that this doesn't become an actual problem when the game comes out. D:
You see that's how Sakurai is going to advertise the inevitable 3DS XL bundle "Be sure to get the Nintendo 3DS XL bundle with it's own custome circle pad specifically for Super Smash Bros. 3DS if you don't want to cripple your normal circle pad."

igloo

Smash Rookie
You see that's how Sakurai is going to advertise the inevitable 3DS XL bundle "Be sure to get the Nintendo 3DS XL bundle with it's own custome circle pad specifically for Super Smash Bros. 3DS if you don't want to cripple your normal circle pad."
LOL, I just imagined Sakurai already planning out how hes gonna get all of the 3ds players in advance.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
Just photoshopped this (actually pixlr and yea it sucks.) If ninty makes this... ill luv em 4ever though i betcha they wont

Last edited:

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I have no issue with the 3DS's controls. They're just fine for me.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I think Smash3DS won't have big stages and will have those short-medium ones like Great Bay, Fountain of Dreams and WarioWare so there won't be a problem in how the camera fixes.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
At first I thought playing smash on the 3ds wouldnt be hard without CPP, but now im starting to think it will be hard even with CPP

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Even if I don't get used to the 3DS controls like I feel I will I'm still going to do my best to adapt, I'm the kind of gamer who won't let awkward control schemes stop me from playing a game I like enough even if it's a case like Kid Icarus Uprising where I have to re-adjust everytime I come back to it after a while.

Morbi

Scavenger
Even if I don't get used to the 3DS controls like I feel I will I'm still going to do my best to adapt, I'm the kind of gamer who won't let awkward control schemes stop me from playing a game I like enough even if it's a case like Kid Icarus Uprising where I have to re-adjust everytime I come back to it after a while.
Honestly; the 3DS version is just a glorified demo for the Wii U version in my case. I don't really care if I ultimately suck at the 3DS version, I am just going to play for fun, I will get more serious and adapt when the Wii U version launches.

proxibomb

Smash Clown

I hope they add the feature to customize controls. I need to set controls up so that I don't use L/R little to no times at any point. I would be deeply afraid to damage by L/R buttons. The only problem to this "solution" is to how I will be able to use the shield and/or roll around like I would when I play on any console games.

So many problems for a handheld and one game. I might even decide on getting a 2DS just so I can play Smash comfortably. I mean, the 2DS looks pretty comfortable for Smash. The L/R buttons look like they can handle pretty tough situations pretty easily.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Honestly; the 3DS version is just a glorified demo for the Wii U version in my case. I don't really care if I ultimately suck at the 3DS version, I am just going to play for fun, I will get more serious and adapt when the Wii U version launches.
While I agree with you in a way, I'll still be legitimately practicing on the 3DS version because at this point it's just instinct for me to learn as much as I can about the fighting game I'm playing.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I think it'll be just fine. Maybe it'll be a bit small on a normal 3DS, but on an XL it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
A bit. I've been stress testing my 3dsXL recently with MK7 and I'll prob throw in SFIV too. Not too worried.

I'll probably be looking for a good grip soon, maybe. Looking for one that specifically extends the L/R buttons but haven't seen one that for sure does that. I'll probably just wait til the game releases and see if my hand cramps enough to need a grip.

Moczan

Smash Rookie
As long as it supports circle pad pro it should be comfortable enough. If not, a good grip will be required.

Top Bottom