• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Anyone curious about how hard it'll be to play Smash on a 3DS,

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
The reason some people get cramps is mostly because they cramp their own hands, not becase the system in question is uncomfortable.

I'm sure I'll have no problems playing this game on 3DS.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
If you take a 5-10 min break after one hour of playing, cramp will be no problem at all

I don't see them messing up the control sheme at all either

I'm pretty confident in this game, to be honest

SuperSah

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSah
3DS FC
4425-2273-6142
I own an OG model and viewed the Direct on the eShop.

With the fake 3DS border and zoomed out scenes, I could still easily see everything, so imagining it on the full screen without te bogus border should be fine.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I own an OG model and viewed the Direct on the eShop.

With the fake 3DS border and zoomed out scenes, I could still easily see everything, so imagining it on the full screen without te bogus border should be fine.
Not to mention 3D (for those using it) to help pop the characters out even more.

As far as controls go, the scheme is sort of the least of the worries, since I'm certain we'll have total control over it just like in past games.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
It should be okay. I mean, KI:U and MH require similarly quick responses on the circle pad and mine has held out over the years both of those have been out.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I think the 3DS circle pad is the most durable for handhelds right behind the PSVita analogs (Even when the PSVita hangs in my pocket) so I say you shouldn't have to worry for a long time. That and you could re-calibrate the circle pad which helps in some situations.

Last edited:

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
Im just worried about breaking the circle pad.

Bazzeltroff

Smash Rookie
To the people saying that the 2DS is the best for this game, I disagree. The L&R buttons are pretty far up compared to the rest of the buttons. Don't get me wrong, the face of the 2DS is outstanding, and definitely outclasses the others, but because of how stretched out it is... Idk,,,

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
The XL is probably the best also it has 3d so the characters can stand out and has a bigger screen.

Khao

Smash Lord
Controls?

Street Fighter 4 worked pretty well for me, the circle pad is more than precise enough for me and I don't see why anyone would have much problems with it. Kid Icarus is also a good sign, since it used the whole Tap vs Tilt deal with running and dodging.

Screen size?

Just for the heck of it, I decided to try out Brawl in Dolphin on a 400x240 window, same resolution as a 3DS, and there's not much of a size difference when physically putting my 3DS's screen right next to it, so I'll say it's accurate enough.

Even in New Pork City, the games very playable, characters are hard to see, but I guess the outlines are there for a reason.

In smaller stages like Battlefield, you get used to it very quickly, don't think it'll be a problem.

Edit:
Eh, just went through a couple of 5-stock matches on Hyrule Temple, you end up forgetting you're playing on such a small window at some point.

Last edited:
The controls shouldn't be a problem. As much of a loser as it makes me sound, I actually took out my standard 3DS and input a few "smash moves" to a blank screen. Felt just fine. I'll probably use the d-pad primarily, though, since I'm worried about my circle pad even when it comes to non-action games like Pokémon Y.

I did well with the Wiimote+Nunchuk in Brawl, and even with the lone Wiimote on its side, despite the discomfort. The 3DS should be a piece of cake.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'll admit I was worried about this myself for a while but I'm usually really good at adapting to odd controllers for fighting games, like for games like UMVC3 or Street Fighter 4 I actually prefer a PS3 controller over an arcade stick so when I thought of that I got a little less worried and if they give you the option to use the D-pad to move then I'm pretty much golden cause the 3DS' button layout is very similar to the PC controller that I use to play Super Smash Flash 2 and that game got me comfortable with double tapping to dash. If not then I'll get used to the anolog stick, I won't even need a circle pad pro since I don't use the C stick for smash attacks.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Yeah, I have concerns about this as well. Mainly on how comfortable the controls are and the wear the circle pad will get over the years of playing Smash.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I still have the original 3DS model that I got to start out 2012 with. All that I'm hoping for now is that we're given the option to use the directional pad for character movement.
If it's like Brawl at all, I'm sure it will, solo Wiimote used the directional pad and delegated taunts to another button

Xauric

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xauric
I think a good measure of how it'll play on the 3DS will be in the multiplayer for Kirby Triple Deluxe, since it seems very Smash-esque.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think a good measure of how it'll play on the 3DS will be in the multiplayer for Kirby Triple Deluxe, since it seems very Smash-esque.
I was also thinking about picking up that Cartoon Network carbon-copy of Smash; I thought better of it, but I feel as though that would give me a good idea on how it would potentially play.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I was also thinking about picking up that Cartoon Network carbon-copy of Smash; I thought better of it, but I feel as though that would give me a good idea on how it would potentially play.
You're better off ignoring that game bro, it controls like ass unless you're playing as Samurai Jack and the Power Puff Girls and it's very easy to tell that the game was rushed cause it was unpolished, I owned both the Wii version and the handheld version and both versions are jam packed with glitches, even to the point where it crashed my Wii after I experienced a very game breaking anti gravity glitch.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I for one enjoy CNPTE a lot (both 3DS & Wii versions). Sure, it's not as polished/deep as Smash, but plays way more than enough like Smash to keep me coming back.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I for one enjoy CNPTE a lot (both 3DS & Wii versions). Sure, it's not as polished/deep as Smash, but plays way more than enough like Smash to keep me coming back.
Hey man if you enjoy it kudos to you, I can't put up with the controls and the glitches for the life of me

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I forgot all about the multiplayer for that. I was already planning to get that next Friday. Looking forward to it.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
control scheme

B = standard attacks
Y = special attacks
X = jump
A = jump

Circle pad = movement

R= grab
L = guard

L and R can both be grab if wanted but i feel a programmed shortcut will be nice.

I feel this will be the most comfortable control scheme since I tried to make it as close to the GC controller as i could.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
control scheme

B = standard attacks
Y = special attacks
X = jump
A = jump

Circle pad = movement

R= grab
L = guard

L and R can both be grab if wanted but i feel a programmed shortcut will be nice.

I feel this will be the most comfortable control scheme since I tried to make it as close to the GC controller as i could.
This, is something I wanted to say but never really got to. :p

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
control scheme

B = standard attacks
Y = special attacks
X = jump
A = jump

Circle pad = movement

R= grab
L = guard

Actually, X and Y have ALWAYS been the jump buttons, whereas A and B have always been the normal and special attacks; in fact, the A and B button positions are both practically the same in direction on the 3DS compared to Wii U. But to be honest, here's my control scheme:

A: Normal Attacks (Grab if the shield is activated)
B: Special Attacks
X, Y: Jump
L, R: Shield/Air Dodge
Circle Pad: Movement
D-Pad (Up, Left and Right): Taunt
D-Pad Down: Grab

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Actually, X and Y have ALWAYS been the jump buttons, whereas A and B have always been the normal and special attacks; in fact, the A and B button positions are both practically the same in direction on the 3DS compared to Wii U. But to be honest, here's my control scheme:

A: Normal Attacks (Grab if the shield is activated)
B: Special Attacks
X, Y: Jump
L, R: Shield/Air Dodge
Circle Pad: Movement
D-Pad (Up, Left and Right): Taunt
D-Pad Down: Grab
When i made this i was not talking about the letter corisponding to the actually GC controller i made then in coralation to layout

the 3ds lay out is like this

*** X
Y ***** A
*** B

b and y resemble GC more and the A and X are located more where the x and y jump buttons are

if you ever used a wii classic controller you will under stand that your layout is less like the GC

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I own a 3DS XL and find it very comfortable. I have no doubt Smash will be okay on it. Great, even.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
control scheme

B = standard attacks
Y = special attacks
X = jump
A = jump

Circle pad = movement

R= grab
L = guard

And if there's a D-pad movement option you'd double tap to dash.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
i guess its just easier for taunting i guess.
Even then they can just give you the option to have one taunt on the Select button, granted we'll likely get three taunts like in Brawl but at the same time if you used the Wii remote on it's side you still had one taunt on the A button.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Even then they can just give you the option to have one taunt on the Select button, granted we'll likely get three taunts like in Brawl but at the same time if you used the Wii remote on it's side you still had one taunt on the A button.
there's always the option no worries.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
It won't be that hard for me. I would imagine the controls would be similar to the Wii U's, since the button format for Wii U and 3DS is kinda similar.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Here's my control scheme.

A: Standard attack
B: Special attack
X/Y: Jump
L/R: Block
L/R+A: Grab
D-pad:Taunts
And of course, I'm sure we will be able to customize te button layout any way we like when the game comes out.

Top Bottom