• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone bugged by the name?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Probably because Pikmin will be a huge part of how he fights, mention it says without Pikmin he cant do any smash attacks.

I think it's just fine.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Pikmin is the name of the series, and since they play such a key part in his fighting style, they deserve the partial title. You gotta give it to the little flower guys ... they do the dirty work well. :) You wouldn't call the Ice Climbers just "Popo" would you? XD

Anyway, I'm still just going to call him Captain Olimar. He's first Captain announced for Brawl! XD

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Pikmin is the name of the series, and since they play such a key part in his fighting style, they deserve the partial title. You gotta give it to the little flower guys ... they do the dirty work well. :) You wouldn't call the Ice Climbers just "Popo" would you? XD

Anyway, I'm still just going to call him Captain Olimar. He's first Captain announced for Brawl! XD
And possibly the only?

OMG CAPTAIN FALCON DECONFIRMED!!!!!!! Lol, I kid.

Drgnfiv

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I guess I would have preferred just Captain Olimar, but it's true that the Pikmin will be important for his fighting. So, I guess I'm not that bothered by it.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman

Samus is from the game Metroid, and you don't see her name being changed. :p

While I agree that the Pikmin are important and all, the character utilizing them is Olimar, so as far as I'm concerned, he's the character and not them.

So yeah, like most of you, I'm sticking with Captain Olimar as well. :p

Stado

Smash Apprentice
It irked me the wrong way when I first read it after my initial heart attack of seeing the challenger approaching banner, as I'd prefer if it just said Captain Olimar, but it's really not a big deal.

Urser

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure in-game the announcer will actually just say Olimar or Captain Olimar.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
It's a little jarring, yeah. I think it'll be worse when the announcer man says it in Brawl. Oh well.
Ooh ... you've got a point there. =/ Ah, well. There are worse things in the world than seeing a long-awaited character updated on the site and having the fabulous chance to play with him. Why should we complain? :)

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Eh, just say P&O. Not that I mind just saying Olimar, but it's almost kinda cool to have an unexpected, or weird name.

Like with all names, we'll probably just adopt what the announcer says.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
It might make even more sense after we see all of his moves. The Pikmin may be nearly half the fighting force, not just some kind of weapon. Forget about the names, and think of them like this; Ice climbers are accepted, because they are deemed to be two equals fighting together, as in two humans. They even look almost identical. Now think about Pikmin and Olimar. Olimar too, has a teammate, well many I guess. Only, in a way it looks like they could play an even more crucial role than Nana plays. Perhaps its just equal, or just different, but you see what I'm getting at. Just because the Pikmin look like lesser beings, doesn't mean there not an equal part of this team. (As I stated in my earlier post, I'm not opposed to just calling him Olimar, but the name definitely makes sense, and I'll probably just use his official name, P&O, depending on what the announcer says.)

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
It does seem like a weird name. The Pikmin seem more like his weapons, Olimar is the actual character.

Maybe the Pikmin do more than just get swung at opponents by Olimar. Maybe it's like Ice Climbers with 5 helpers instead of 1.

Stado

Smash Apprentice
I imagine the announcer and/or crowd will say "Olimar". Not even Captain Olimar, just Olimar.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
It does seem like a weird name. The Pikmin seem more like his weapons, Olimar is the actual character.

Maybe the Pikmin do more than just get swung at opponents by Olimar. Maybe it's like Ice Climbers with 5 helpers instead of 1.
Ah, someone who sees my point, and probably didn't even read my post.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
would prefer Captain Olimar and Red over Pikmin & Olimar and Pokemon Trainer.
I suppose it's safe to assume that his moveset relies so much on the Pikmin he is not a full character without them, and thus that is how he was revealed. That is a character that I assume will have a different name in the game than on the Dojo. He will probably just be "Olimar" in game, I can't imagine the Brawl Announcer saying "Pikmin and Olimar!" "This games winner is Pikmin and Olimar!"

But anyway, in response to Pokemon Trainer, I think the reason his name is not Red is because he isn't Red. He's a metaphoric trainer meant to symbolize all of the games in the series, not just the originals (obvious by his design). Heck, I never understood why "Red" was more popular than "Blue," both have the same origins.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
im a little annoyed by it. not by the inclusion of the word pikmin, which makes sense how important they are, but because it should be Olimar and Pikmin. When naming things like that it sounds proper to put them in alphabetical order. and olimar is clearly the more important part.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Yeah, it really should just be C.Olimar to tell the turth, by adding Pimin, it doesnt sound too original. sound too original since he can pull pikmin out without the name. lol idk..

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I hope that hte announcer will only say "Captain Olimar!!". Pikmin & Olimar would sound weird.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I'm looking for the character around here, I keep on looking for "Captain Olimar" and I can never find him. :laugh:

The name does bug me, yeah, but whatever. I'll just call him Captain Olimar, just like everyone else.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
It bugs me that they don't even call him "captain", but I suppose that I'll get over it.

I for one was a little puzzled with the official name. The Pikmin may be an integral part of his character in Brawl (as they were in the Pikmin series), but it's still Olimar you are controlling. And he should have come first in the title anyway. They even left out the Captain. Captain Jack Sparrow... I mean, Olimar.

In short, it was like naming King Dedede "Waddle Dees & Dedede" for those three reasons. But him being in Brawl alone makes me very happy so I'm not going to complain much until.

Deku Boy

Smash Cadet
Pikmin & Olimar? Why not just Captain Olimar?
I'd imagine it has something to do with representing "the entire character". Olimar isn't the only one fighting here. He's formed a team with his Pikmin. It's different from the case of Pokémon Trainer(who also had a similarly odd name choice), because Olimar fights with his Pikmin, while Pokémon Trainer, Red, uses his Pokémon as a means to fight. It's sort of like how you call them Ice Climbers since there's two of them. You have to refer to the entirety of the character.

Regardless, the announcer and select screen will probably refer to him as just "Olimar" or "Captain Olimar".

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...
I think its bad with Pikmin & olimar, not only because it makes 4(+) characters start with P, and that fact that he is controlling everything, pikmin is there only for doing the dirty work... And he got the name pikmin & olimar,why not call the pokemon trainer: pokemon & trainer -.-

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
I think as long as a playable character involves having more than one person/ living thing ready & helping in the fight, the name should somehow reflect that.

"Ice Climbers" refers to both of them because they are both present during battle.

Even though PokeTrainer never actually fights himself, "Pokemon Trainer" is called as such because, in theory, when we play as PT, we don't control his pokemon directly. Instead, we as the players control PT himself, who then issues commands to the pokemon. Also, we have to try to be realistic- can you honestly imagine the select character screen having "Pokemon Trainer with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard?"

King Dedede shouldn't be called "Waddle Dees & dedede" because that is but one of his special moves, and he also doesn't always throw out one constant thing. Sometimes its Wddl. Doos and Gordos.

Zelda is called "Zelda" mainly, because thats her real name. "Sheik" is an alter-ego, so although she dons her alias while under disguise, she is still Zelda under the costume.

I personally think it should have been "Olimar & Pikmin," but its not a big deal. If the the Pikmin do all the work, then it probably makes more sense that way.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think it's fine, but I would prefer the announcer in Brawl say "Captain Olimar" it just sounds better when you think about Brawl's announcer's voice.

nintenfreak92

Smash Rookie
I understand them using pikmin but I don't know how they will fit it under his name in the character selection or when the anouncer announces his name when you pick the character.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
One thing I just thought of was the simple fact that the game is titled "Pikmin." This idea is completely isolated to this incidence, so don't go throwing other games in my face like, "Why don't we call Captain Falcon F-Zero?" No, the creators of Pikmin clearly didn't care so much about C Olimar, as they did the concept of the Pikmin characters. That's why, even though you control Olimar, the Pikmin are still part of the title. They represent the game as much or more than Olimar himself. Just think of what the franchise is all about, and what kind of perspective the creators have on the subject.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Captain Olimar would sound better, but it sounds fine. The announcer could possibly say Captain Olimar... I don't care, at least he's in ;)!

Zek

Smash Ace
I think Pikmin should be in the name since technically they're independent characters following him around. But it should have been Olimar & Pikmin. I wonder if they did it the other way around just to sound better?

mattram08

Smash Apprentice
I think that the Pikmin are the real characters here. You may be controlling Olimar, but the pikmin really do all the fighting. The game was called Pikmin, not Captain Olimar goes to Pikmin Land or something. It'll be fine. A little lengthy for the announcer dude to say, but fine.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I was little bit confused about the name at the beginning, mainly angry that Olimar's name didn't appear BEFORE Pikmin. But I'll just be calling him Olimar so it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom