• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any use for skullbash in a 1 vs 1 situation?

K 2

Smash Lord
Is there any use for skullbash in a 1 vs 1 situation? I've use it in team matches and scored some pretty nice KO's, but I haven't found a use for it in a 1 vs 1 match. Whenever I use it to recover, I get spiked, when ever I use it on the stage (which I never do, but...) I get smashed due to the horrendous end lag. I've landed a few uncharged skull bashes before and did 7% or so, but pika has better options for knockback and damage. I've never seen any of the pros use skullbash either. How do you guys use skullbash?

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
I'm a skullbash maniac~ Well, I basically just use it on occasion: for tech chases, recovering, skull bash from a grab, skull bash someone off of the stage, mind games, etc. Don't use it too often since it can leave you wide open to get punished, and there are usually better attacks to use.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Absolutely. It is rather underrated.
I use skull bash in these situations:

1. When I am somewhat close to my opponent and they are charging a smash attack.
2. Coming down from the air near my opponent at such a distance that I can't effectively f-air them.
3. Short-hopping towards my opponent and short-hopping back a slight distance then using it.
4. Quick-attacking quickly one horizontal direction then the other direction and then using it at them.
5. When I am hanging on the edge of the stage with my opponent right next to me and thunderjolting doesn't seem like a good idea.
6. As my opponent is trying to recover at a moderate (not too low or too high) altitude, it works well for edgeguarding and if it misses it will never be punished.
7. After throwing the opponent backwards when they are at a low to moderate %, using it towards them is pretty effective as a combo.

Well, that's all the scenarios I can think of.
Sometimes it can be used in place of a dashing grab. And obviously it is great for recovering. When I use it I am confident it will hit. So be careful with it because in most situations if it fails it can be punished rather brutally.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
It is actually the worst move of pikas moveset imo. in the lower levels it can ****, but at high levels, it is punished nearly everytime. i highly recommend not using it that often. it really is a horrible move. there may be some mindgames with it, but i just have never found it that useful.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
I only use it for recovery purposes. It really isn't a good move. In terms of offense, there is almost always a better option than using skull bash.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You'd be surprised how well it can catch opponent's off-guard. I like to switch up my attacks and it actually comes in handy. Of course, I don't use it too often.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
It doesn't ever really come in handy. I good opponent pays attention. More often than not, you will put yourself in a bad position by using skull bash for anything other than recovery.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Our playstyles are not the same. I incorporate it uniquely into my matches and make it work somehow. My instincts just kick in and tell me the opponent would never see it coming. And my instincts rarely fail me in battle.
It's a situational move for sure, and likely the least useful of Pikachu's entire moveset. But don't underestimate any of the yellow rodent's abilities or you may never unlock his true potential. Same goes for any character, really.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I would love for you to prove me wrong. i would like to incorporate it in. if you ever find some sure fire stuff play me and show me. and not all moves need to be used. I will say this though- all skullbashes i have ever encountered generally hit because of lag or they get punished badly. untill i see different (and note i am talking about skull bash use irl, NOT online) i will constantly say skull bash is nearly useless as an offensive move. and believe me i have looked at it.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Maybe it is because of lag, not sure. I am positive I've played matches that were lagless other than for very minor button delay and I made skull bash work several times. But it can get punished badly. It's risky but certainly has its uses.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
It is very risky. Actually, I wouldn't even call it risky because risky implies that it has some sort of pay off. Even if you catch someone with it once, you probably will never do it again. A decent player won't get staged spiked by it, and a decent player won't get hit by a charged/semi charged one. That really only leaves an uncharged skull bash. Even in the instance of using an uncharged skull bash, there is almost always (if not always) a better offensive option than using skull bash.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
It does sometimes work in place of a dashing grab when they expect you to come running at them. I've f-throwed opponent's to the edge before then used an uncharged skull bash to knock them off-stage, which didn't KO but still was useful.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I actually incorporate it well because as I am studying psychology - some of it's in my guide lol - I can often tell when an opponent least expects it. You'd be surprised how many people get hit by it because they aren't expecting it. I've actually used it to score free damage on Stealth sometimes, but maybe it was just the lag. It's just a situational move at best.

K 2

Smash Lord
I would love for you to prove me wrong. i would like to incorporate it in. if you ever find some sure fire stuff play me and show me. and not all moves need to be used. I will say this though- all skullbashes i have ever encountered generally hit because of lag or they get punished badly. untill i see different (and note i am talking about skull bash use irl, NOT online) i will constantly say skull bash is nearly useless as an offensive move. and believe me i have looked at it.
i always thought Skull Bash was useless too other than recovering ( or being fancy and going under final destination). i just wanted to confirm that with a "pro". I have found one rather hilarious use for it though. This is very situational, but fun to pull off. I was playing my friend, Ike, the other day and I accidently started to use skull bash. He charged a fsmash and waited for my SB to end, but his fsmash released before my SB did, and he got a full charged SB in his FACE! Hahaha!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Mister E, the one and ONLY reason the skull bashes work, some of the time, is because of the lag. In an offline match, it will be power shielded EVERY time.

Top Bottom