• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Tips vs Projectile Characters?

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
I've had this game since the 3rd and I am in love with DK. DK just feels like such a good character in this game and other Smash games, however; with the roster expanding more and more with every game, it's just obvious that new characters will most likely get a projectile. And as much as I try I can't stop a projectile based character such as Samus, Megaman, or Link. I cant get in and when I do I get jabbed away or shield grabbed. Getting in is hard enough as it is. Anybody have any tips on what I can do?

enderilluminatus

Smash Rookie
NNID
C.ender
3DS FC
1993-8278-9760
Ness is making me seriously consider dropping DK. It is too frustrating.

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123
Try to keep them in the air as much as possible once you get in. I suggest dashshielding. Then either grabbing or trying to get a read with Down B

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I think a lot of the time, the problem is psychological in nature. You spend a lot of time and effort getting in, they just swat you away, and maybe after a few iterations of this you start feeling frustrated and go on tilt. Mostly what you need to do is take a step back and do something like the process below.

1) What am I doing wrong?
2) What are my best options?
3) How did they react when I did get in?

You can also sort of break it down into a move + countermove dynamic. He rolls, I Down B. He Dsmashes, I block. He holds shield, I grab him. He spams something I don't know how to counter, avoid situations that allow them to spam it.

When you think on smaller terms like this it can be a lot more doable in the heat of the moment. It also helps to know that in general, like 2 successful hits from you = 3-4 for most other characters.

In terms of actual gameplay tips, I would say try to stay within Down B range, but outside their range (you outrange probably every dedicated projectile user's normals). That is probably your most effective range and a lot of habits become very noticeable once you see what they do once you are there.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
^solid advice.

Fighting against projectile heavy characters is a weakness that almost every DK has come across and had to think about. Browse through the metagame discussion thread, and the social thread and you will most likely come across a good amount of advice and opinions on the subject.

I think a big problem people have (I have it as well) is going on auto pilot.
You have to change the way you play a projectile based character and you have to rethink what works and what doesn't.

Also have a solid defense game and make sure your punishes are on point.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
^solid advice.

I think a big problem people have (I have it as well) is going on auto pilot.
Yeah, I am guilty of this as well. I feel like that is a big problem in general and perhaps what keeps most good players from becoming great players.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
lately ive been having a lot of people immediately charge at me when i get ~2 characters away from them and i just shieldblocked. Once i get that close i stop approaching, and either keep the shield into a shieldgrab, downb, upb, or dodge. Seems to work for me alot, as normally Toon Link spammers are a nightmare for me and lately ive been beating them this way.

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
Some good advice, thanks for the tips guys, and I'll definitely implement this into my ape game from now on.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Some good advice, thanks for the tips guys, and I'll definitely implement this into my ape game from now on.
You can either read their projectile patterns and learn to ps them.
Or keep the pressure on the player, not letting them breathe.

Or you just run up, up b and super armour through the projectile as they toss it out.

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
You can either read their projectile patterns and learn to ps them.
Or keep the pressure on the player, not letting them breathe.

Or you just run up, up b and super armour through the projectile as they toss it out.
I've been doing this a lot lately, @first advice, and before I didn't like this approach because I would powershield through the projectiles and when I got up close I would end up getting swatted away with fast jabs i.e. Link; but what I love doing now is power shielding up to them and just when I'm out of they're jab range but still close, I'll down b because they're scared of my approach so they won't do a laggy startup, and if they jab or try to swat at me, I'll be perfectly out of their range.

Using Up b was an approach I used to use but it stopped working because the only real projectile fight I used to have was against Megaman, whose second jab always hits me out of super armor, or clanks. But now that you mention it I'll definitely get into the habit of doing this more often, thank you for the input.

Roager

Smash Ace
You can play this one on defense, to a point. It seems counter-intuitive, but most projectile spammers are pretty well telegraphed, and often predictable. Watch the animations closely, and time your shields and tilts to block the shots as you slowly close the distance. Tilts and even jabs clash with a surprising number of projectiles, and almost laglessly return to neutral/idle.

Pivot shorthops (I hope thats the right term) can also be good, you can sometimes land a b-air punish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom