• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any smash series symbols/icons you wish could have been better?

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
One of my favorite details in the Smash series is the symbols that are used to represent the series' universe.
As somebody who's studying graphic design, I really do enjoy seeing them and how much they can represent the series, though there are some I believe could have been better, my biggest examples are the ones for Mega Man and Final Fantasy series symbols.
Mega Man's one for me isn't awful, but it doesn't scream Mega Man in my opinion, just a piece of gear for me isn't enough. Personally, I would have gotten for Mega Man's helmet, since for me that represents the franchise as a whole.
Final Fantasy's is one I just find really poorly done and overall feels like not much thought was put into it. I don't know much of the Final Fantasy series, but just have the series initials seems lazy to me. I can make an exception with Street Fighter's, since it actually provides an great use in its typography, though I would have prefer something more unique, it's fine. Final Fantasy's however, is just two F's, it felt like no creativity was put into it. It could have been something like the head a moogle or something, it just feels, well, lazy.
Any other symbols you felt could have been improved?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Castlevania's represents the series theme around spooky castles but its design is kind of a bit too much imo. It's lacking in the simplicity a lot of the other symbols have. I don't really know enough about the series to suggest a better one though.
Final Fantasy's is one I just find really poorly done and overall feels like not much thought was put into it. I don't know much of the Final Fantasy series, but just have the series initials seems lazy to me. I can make an exception with Street Fighter's, since it actually provides an great use in its typography, though I would have prefer something more unique, it's fine. Final Fantasy's however, is just two F's, it felt like no creativity was put into it. It could have been something like the head a moogle or something, it just feels, well, lazy.
I believe I've once heard that Final Fantasy was intentionally named that was just because the creator wanted the initials to be "FF". I guess in that context it would make sense.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I do wish that Sonic's icon was just a little more like the silhouette in Sonic Team's logo and included the eyes. Though hey he's like the only character with visible eyes in the stock icons at least on that front.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Since Final Fantasy is primarily FF7 based, it should've been the meteor.
Castlevania should've been the logo's "Lunar C" in its logo
Bayonetta's should've been the Umbran Witch symbol
Street Fighter should've been the Ryu doing the Shoryuken
Fire Emblem should've been the Shield of Seals aka "The Fire Emblem"
Xenoblade Chronicles should've been the Zohar shape

And I believe that's where my gripes end.

Honestly, while I don't like the Megaman symbol, I don't really have any other symbol that is popular enough to represent it. The closest things would be the Mega-helmet, but Megaman's stock icon kinda needs it and the golden X, but that really only represents Megaman X.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Fire Emblem should have been the actual Fire Emblem instead of Falchion
Castlevania should have been less complicated
Street Fighter and Final Fantasy should have been anything but two letters stacked next to each other

Top Bottom