• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Platform Fighter mods you find interesting? (inc. but not limited to any Smash Game, Crusade/CMC+, Rivals, etc.)

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's one thing to do a mockup of a moveset in text or a visual diagram, but it's in mods where the community can really get their hands dirty and make their movesets come to life.

Are there any that you find interesting? It can be but isn't limited to characters or stages.
----
Personally, I've really loved playing as this Darth Vader for Smash CMC+. I'd describe him as pretty much current official Smash Ganondorf with a lot more range.

As for characters already in Smash, there's this Zelda, also for CMC+. She's more or less the same in official Smash (and uses old Smash Flash 2 sprites), but her down-B is a rapier counter, and she's got cool Triforce effects on her attacks that give her officially dull moveset a lot more visual flair.

Quillion

Smash Hero
When it comes to really out-there characters in a knockback-based platform fighter, this is one of the funniest ones IMO.

Yes, they managed to make a whole chess set into a playable character. And the individual pieces are accurate to how they act in a real chess game. The kicker is that they made his AI surprisingly good with what he's given.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Another really out-there character, but this one "conventional" enough that I personally play it sometimes: a literal Mario Coin.

The fact that this madlad made a collectible into something that can fight by spawning coins that damage when "collected" is hilarious.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Alright, no more out-there characters, here's a character that I know Luigi fans want but doubt because of his lack of legs:

Speaking of characters with no legs, a Master Hand who plays by knockback rules:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Ive mainly only messed around with Project M but am interested in exploring others (although not sure i will anytime soon). Mentioned this in the Smash Infinite thread since he was just added but the Sans mod is pretty fun. A little OP, particularly the gaster blaster attack, but honestly now has me wanting Sans in Smash despite not playing Undertale yet.

King Bobs mods seem to get alot of attention too & for good reason with high quality trailers & movesets, specifically for Toad & Waluigi.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
So this one guy is so dedicated to Mario he's made several incarnations of him that are either really faithful to the Mario games or are just plain weird.

On the CMC+ Discord Server, he's even making a live-action movie Mario.

Quillion

Smash Hero
In tribute to the late Akira Toriyama, here are some mods of characters made/designed by him:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Even though I've played a little NASB, I still prefer if SpongeBob had elements of Battle for Bikini Bottom in his moveset, as seen here:

Also, apparently legal issues prevented Timmy Turner from getting into NASB2, but at least the Rivals community picked up the slack (and was later ported to CMC+):

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm impressed that there are some people who make sprites for DC characters despite the lack of a good sprite-based DC fighter. I know they were originally made for MUGEN, but still.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I was surprised a little while back that some Brawl mods are still being made. For PM specifically in this case, but they're some insanely well made mods of Merkava from UnderNight and Nu13 from BlazBlue of all things.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The aforementioned Mario man completed and updated his live-action movie Mario (itself adapted from MUGEN)

On the note of Mario, here's a "poopy" incarnation of Mario (itself adapted from a Rivals Workshop)

Quillion

Smash Hero
I love that, isolated spats of drama aside, there is a good spirit of camaraderie and cooperation between modding communities of sprite-based platform fighters.

The creator of this Rivals mod for example...

...authorized a port to CMC+:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's been a while, but I just want to say that this guy is a master of his craft. Here's a Morgana from Persona 5 that he's been making:

This Magneto (from a different guy) it pretty cool too.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So since someone reminded me that Kamek by all logic should be a fighter in Smash, I searched for if anyone made an attempt to mod him in, and sure enough, one's been made very recently.

That said, I'm surprised the CMC+ community seemingly beat official Smash modding to the punch on this one like they did Kraid. Plus it's unbound by the limitations of the latter, though that means it's more gimmicky.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I always liked the Waluigi Brawl mod where he uses the WAAAAA as an attack. The updated version replacing that with Piranha Plant was lame.
I've come to the hard truth that even among moveset modders, people just have trouble agreeing on how characters not already in Smash should be portrayed. In the emergent Smash CMC+/Crusade community alone, Peppino Spaghetti is infamous for this (Exhibits A, B, C).

Hell, even characters already in Smash suffer from a lot of disagreement on how they should be portrayed in that community, particularly Mega Man, Sonic, Ganondorf, and Bowser.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Top Bottom