• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any martial artists here?

neous

Smash Journeyman
Kal, you’re right about Royce: he was chosen to be the poster-boy of BJJ,
because he was considered the most technically and mentally A55 out of all the Gracies,
and they wanted to show the effectiveness of BJJ against the more popular arts .
They figured sending someone so “weak” and winning over elite guys would help validate their system.

I hope I’m on topic:

The reign of Ken’s Marth is kind of similar to bjj’s sudden dominance in the world martial arts scene.
Eventually people figure things out [like strikers figuring out grapplers, assimilating their own techs and learning to sprawl,
how to counter certain takedowns with spacing + strikes],
and then certain things aren’t OP anymore ^^

Marth’s tip is still so annoying coming from a Ganon, m2, roy player :[

[I also think a lot of styles have bad and good matchups vs others Just like fightin gaymes.]

I hate when modern martial arts oriented people fight with traditional dudes and when grapplers argue with strikers.
It's nice to see a civil discussion on the boards.
Personally I like both traditional and modern, and both striking and grappling from an enthusiast/ spectator points of view.

Here are some reasons why:

1The teck skill!
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfFNlyx0Vw8
- [Bagua]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h-gev8goEI

2THE MINDGAMES OMG
[Genki sudo]:
- grappling: http://youtu.be/aIUWH-tuGGk
- I suggest watching the entire documentary
striking: http://youtu.be/0E1sK42pV40?t=1m55s watch the whole last sequence lol
- i suggest watching all of Genki Sudo vs. Ole Laursen

Whenever I search Bjj or judo vs [insert traditional striking] all I find is tkd, karate, and kungfu guys getting 4 stocked lol.
All the videos are literally: boring posturing for a bit, take down, 1 sided scramble, submission.

---

some tangents:

grappling oriented systems tend to: have standing, clinch, and ground phases
striking: just standing :O, maybe some clinch
Because of this, their skillset isn't balanced enough.
Their victory depends on imposing their will, and if they can get that ‘puncher’s chance’ before getting taken to a world they don't know how to fight in,
where they get utterly destroyed.

If you argue about: biting: + ball stomping,
just remember, the guy that grapples can do the same, just from a better position

About bans:
They ban stuff like hair pulling, biting, small joint manips, +pressure points I think?
That ruleset I guess hurts striker defense vs grapplers
But they also ban certain techs and submissions like crucifix or w/e,
so in a way, the disadvantages and advantages balance out
all while maintaining a level of safety.
Still, it's best to learn a bit ofeverything.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The art I practice is Kajukenbo (Karate, Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Chinese Kempo (the Sijo of which employed most all forms of), and Boxing).
Guys, I love ARMA (Association for Renaissance Martial Arts).
And the Book of Five Rings.
Oh, and. . . I know it's like saying 'lol I can beat you because I have a gun and you're using your fists', but I love swordplay, and weapons trash both grapplers and strikers. . . because they're weapons. . . in most cases. . . =) of course this carries almost no weight, because you know, weapons and stuff.
And Martial Arts oh, Martial Arts, I love it, it means discipline.

D

Deleted member

Wow... this thread got a lot more activity than I was aware of... What gives? Old forum never told me there were new posts in here.

Anyway, am I the only one who feels like MMA has kinda taken away a lot of important things from Traditional Martial Arts? I dunno, the few UFC fights I've bothered to watch seemed to lack the spirit you see in other MA tournaments. It's much more beastly and savage.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Man there is some interesting **** in here. I've been looking for a hobby for quite a while besides games(don't even really play anymore) and sitting on my twig ***. Maybe I'll take up some MA or at least something physical. Probably need to put some weight on first though.

Any beginner tips would be appreciated...although maybe I should just google it...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wow, lots of interesting stuff here. I think I should put my little bit of association with Martial Arts here.

[collapse="Rant"]When I was in my 4th grade, our school decided to get an MA teacher as a replacement for our Games & PT teacher, who had left. The MA teacher was a very strict and angry man. Corporal punishment wasn't (and still isn't) banned in India), so we were naturally afraid of him. He taught us TKD for a little over 1.5 years (when I was in my 6th grade) before being fired for punishing students too violently. :urg:

Under his guidance, I did get a Yellow Belt. (To be honest, I barely passed the exam... my opponent beat me soundly.)

But the unpleasant memories of him still make me want to avoid any formal MA training.[/collapse]

My cousin brother is a black belt in Judo. He's five years younger than me, which kinda embarrasses me though.

D

Deleted member

Man there is some interesting **** in here. I've been looking for a hobby for quite a while besides games(don't even really play anymore) and sitting on my twig ***. Maybe I'll take up some MA or at least something physical. Probably need to put some weight on first though.

Any beginner tips would be appreciated...although maybe I should just google it...
Well, there are youtube channels of people who will give you pointers and tips. Though MA is not something that you can really learn solo, you need a good teacher.

However, you CAN begin by going to the gym, lifting heavy things and putting them back down to get into shape. THAT you can do alone.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like how you explained to him that you put the heavy things back down after you lift them.

D

Deleted member

Hahaha, it's a /fit/ meme

For the record, Planet Fitness is ****ing dumb... I'm sorta using the statement ironically, because it's what the stand against.

Urielhelix

Smash Cadet
AWESOME!!! I am just know getting of work so I will go back and read all this tomorrow!

I started Taekwondo when I was 13 to 15. then I started doing Akido for a year then moved on to Pilipino stick fighting till I was 18. moved on to eropean broad sword. till I was 21. then from there I did shinkendo for a year. 22 I moved to Chinese styles Yiliquan. inside yili I started with baixing for a year then moved to Xingyi for another 1 1/2 year. Yili was also very bagua influence. I also got some southern mantis and wingchun influence. I am studding Wudang Taiji at the moment. I am now 25.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Rather pleased this got bumped.

How did you find Xingyiquan? There's a guy I know that has been doing it for a long time.

Oh, since this has been bumped, I might as well update. I left the kung fu studio I had been going to back in May due to my college graduation. At the time, I was very sad about leaving the place. I knew the day was going to occur when I started all that, but I was depressed about it ending. If I ever move back to that city, I'm definitely going back. Since then, I've practiced my techniques when I can, and I've taken a more cat-like approach to my Monkey style. I still read and watch videos about other styles from time to time. I still have my monkey staff as a momento.

Urielhelix

Smash Cadet
I got realy lucky!!! Yiliquan was a style that had baixing xingyi taiji and bagua. learned in that order so when i started taiji the teacher moved to china sadly. I learned so much from thoughs guys, It was like i was learning 7 styles all at once. XD

I also agree with Manlyspirit. get a teacher and if you don't have one then train and condition yourself, so when you find a teacher you have a good base.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sounds like you missed out on learning Airbending. My shifu specialized in that and I contemplated learning that after I finished Monkey. If I were still there, I might've learned Bajiquan or perhaps Leopard.

On the teacher thing, I agree with this, but I think there's a point where you have to teach yourself, especially to see what suits you more or less.

Urielhelix

Smash Cadet
I know!! I miss my sifu, its hard finding taiji teacher who do the martial aspect. and in Nebraska the kung fu schools are very limited. There is a southern mantis teacher down here but I am hesitant to start, just cause after all the years of perfecting my coiling, mantis gets power out of wiping. I just really want to just keep perfecting my coiling.

Bajiquan sounds fun! (just wiki it XD) That style of Fajin is what im used to!! haha

I also agree with the point were you have to teach yourself.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
In Louisiana, there is the one in Baton Rouge where I learned it, and another one in New Orleans. The one in New Orleans is actually closer, but I read their curriculum and I didn't like what I saw. A belt system and a predefined list of forms to learn along with it costing 120 a month whereas the BR one was 80 dollars a month for two lessons a week (which is actually pretty decent). I felt that takes away that sense of personal development I came to enjoy when I was in Baton Rouge learning it.

What do any of you think of forms? Essential? Useless?

I'm in the opinion that they are are frequently misunderstood by most people for their importance. The forms teach the groundwork and theory of the style - at least in Chinese martial arts. Breaking down the individual parts will let you find things like counters, combo strings, throw escapes, parries, evasive maneuvers, etc. That being said, there are some well designed forms and poorly designed forms. The forms I vaguely remember from my TKD days pale in comparison to the Kung Fu forms I'd see and do in college.

I think the key thing, though, is that if you're going to learn martial arts, you need to learn to not have tunnel vision. There's more than straight punches to the faces, but hooks, low hitting strikes, elbows and knees at close range, and more.

Urielhelix

Smash Cadet
Forms are the books that the teacher wrote. you can have good writers or very bad ones :crying:. If you don't how to read then the book its useless, and a writer can also see the words between the lines. When you practice your forms there are always a strike, a throw a block. and something hidden. taiji for example. the form is very hidden. you practice it but it has very subtle tweaking you do to make it affective. like if you strike and bring your foot up next to it. some styles it just means you are really close to the person. or placement of the hands may indicate a spot to strike. they didn't want some one watching them and taking all there skills.

Top Bottom