• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any cool GameCube controller modifications?

9bit_alt

Banned via Warnings
Quick question: to what extent are physical modifications to the controller legal in tournament?

For instance, can you file down the plastic around the control stick so that you have 16 "notches" where the stick stops vs the 8 that are there by default?

Also, can you attach things to L and R to make them taller or shaped differently?

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
Every controller mod is fine unless it uses programmed sequences to perform things easier. This includes Turbo, Macros, Buttons for button combinations, etc. Physical changes are usually allowed unless you come in with a keyboard/arcade stick I guess, or they make a large amount of sound with no purpose (the exception would be physical disability, which I'm sorta confused about).

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Is putting the nunchuk stick in easy? I was wondering because I had the rubber come off the controller I use, and I was interested in using a nunchuk stick I have lying around.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
its extremely easy to swap sticks. just open the controller with a triwing and then open the nunchuck and swap the sticks. its that simple.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
I am currently in the process of spray painting one of my WaveBirds Red. I had just recently got it, and it was in terrible condition. Used a third party controller to replace parts, now it works great, just getting ready to paint. :)

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I am currently in the process of spray painting one of my WaveBirds Red. I had just recently got it, and it was in terrible condition. Used a third party controller to replace parts, now it works great, just getting ready to paint. :)
Don't do it

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Lol that too, but generally I've seen a lot of people get upset that the spray paint comes off their controllers they had painted or whatever. So generally you have to "coat" it a lot or something with coating, and even then it won't last extraneous/sweaty use.

9bit_alt

Banned via Warnings
There must be some kind of clear coating substance you can spray on after your colored paint has dried. I should look into that, I want to spray paint my Wavebird(s) too.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Guys I have an officially licensed purple Wavebird. Logo and everything.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Lol that too, but generally I've seen a lot of people get upset that the spray paint comes off their controllers they had painted or whatever. So generally you have to "coat" it a lot or something with coating, and even then it won't last extraneous/sweaty use.
Yes I agree, spray paint does not hold up against sweat and god knows what all over your hands, it usually starts coming off after like a month. But the controller that I described that was spray painted blue still looks in mint condition, with no signs of the paint coming off. Maybe my friend used a different type of spray paint or something.

B.W.

Smash Champion
You can also swap the GC stick with a PS2/PS3 stick. The PS2/3 stick will fit right onto the GC stick spot, but the GC stick will not fit onto the PS2/3 one.

You can also swap the C-stick with the Nun-chuck stick, which makes it taller and bigger. It's kind of weird at first but I'll bet someone prefers it. You can't put the PS2/3 stick on the C-stick part though.

You can also put another C-Stick in place of the Left-Stick. It's kinda funny, but it might give you more precision? I feel that the Nun-Chuck stick does this better though because the Nun-Chuck stick's base is smaller so it actually has more travel time from the center to one of the directions. C-Stick is shorter though so if you prefer it shorter rather than taller you might like it.

I'm starting to take a liking to the Classic Controller Pro these days though. Buttons are placed better and allow you to do a lot of technical things easier.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I wanna see someone just wrecking shop in Smash with this. And then arcade sticks become standard. lol

B.W.

Smash Champion
I had some ideas in mind for a Smash arcade stick. Problem is arcade stick inputs are digital. You wouldn't be able to f-tilt with that controller, or u-tilt unless you turn tap jump off.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
would use that, If i could find it

To add something useful here, been considering painting my controller to personalize it a bit, but the last one i tried ended up crap :/ (luckily it was an almost broken 3rd party one anyway)

B.W.

Smash Champion
Are you asking if can you replace the right stick on a Classic Controller Pro with a C-stick? If so, then yes. The C-Stick can go on either side of the CCP.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I remember seeing 4 classic original GC controllers at my local Half Price Books Store for 4.99.

Thought about buying one just in case my original 2002 controller ever flopped.

BTW, cool pics in this thread yo

EDIT: The very sight of my friend's white Wavebird disgusts me.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I remember seeing 4 classic original GC controllers at my local Half Price Books Store for 4.99..
Um.. buy me one too and I'll pay for it +shipping please =). Make sure they're true originals though

Ninjamo

Smash Cadet
The controller that came with my Gamecube in 01' finally crapped out on me last week :c . The face buttons were so squishy that you could rest your thumb on them and they would register.

Sucks because all I can find are 3rd party knockoffs or disgustingly overpriced 1st party ones, most of which aren't even "new".

CORY

wut
BRoomer
about painting your case:

i've had nailpolish on mine for well over 10 years and it hasn't chipped or rubbed off or anything at all. people say it feels different to them when they use it, but personally, going back and forth between mine and someone else's, i don't notice it.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nail polish. That's interesting. I might give it a try.

And I have an update on my own controller: this isn't much but I made is so my L and R buttons are pushed all the way out like normal, but they only go down into a click position. Straight digital. It's essentially like removing the springs, but I put some spacers in there so that they stick out all the way instead of being depressed all the time. I love it so far.

That explanation may have been terrible.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I have a question for anyone willing to answer.
I am currently working on a pokeball themed controller and I plan on adding a pokeball over the spot that says Nintendo, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna make a poke ball look good in that small space and I'm not sure what tool to use when painting it.

And holy **** people I thought this thread died like months ago!

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
Third party gamecube controllers are always terrible. They do not last as long as official controllers. Their sticks and buttons can be good or bad but break down very fast compared to an official controller. Trust me, the official controller is worth the cost if you are going to be playing this game a lot.
Not always, Currently I'm using a Madcats Micro controller and it's outlasted 2 of my official GameCube controllers (and only has rubber wear on the C stick). It has a much more satisfying click to the face buttons and the joystick is much easier to use, but I guess we all have our preferences.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
just out of curiosity, does anyone have the old madcatz controllers? I guess they're good.
http://www.gamechronicles.com/gear/ngc/mccubicon/cubicon.htm
Yep! I said so in the post above, they are good! It's one of my favorite controllers, simply because the joystick and A button are so much more satisfying than the 1st party controllers (since the joystick has a twisted hexagon around it, improving directional feedback, and the A button is so clicky and satisfying). Only problem is that if you're a C stick user, don't bother. The rubber rips off too quickly and is too small for any real practical use (besides camera work in other games). The D pad and X/Y are a tad mushy too, but nothing too cumbersome, especially since the L/R and A button are just so wonderful to use.

Also, for durability, I've had this controller for 8 years, and the only problem is the C stick rubber ripping off, it's in perfect condition otherwise.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
just out of curiosity, does anyone have the old madcatz controllers? I guess they're good.
http://www.gamechronicles.com/gear/ngc/mccubicon/cubicon.htm
My cousin had a beat up one of those in his collection, and I'm pretty sure it was lame. I love the original Nintendo GCCs and believe the author of that article is a noob. He doesn't know what implementing tech skill into a game like Melee requires.

That controller could still say be the best out of any third party one, and that'd still be good to know if they had them on Amazon or something.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
Oh I thought you were referring to the newer ****ty cheap plastic ones they have. Well I do spam the c stick and I doesn't appear that I can find those anywhere so I'll just stick with my ccp
Probably for the better if you're a C Stick fanatic in smash, I for one never use it so I have no problems with this controller. Although I will say the button placement is far better for smaller hands (Again, I use the microcon version of this controller, so this may differ from the default sized madcat controller).

This is the controller I use often, Although mine has semi-black plastic and an orange motherboard. I wonder if I could use it in a tourney (if I could ever get in one).

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I use a Madcatz, and I don't have any problem with the C Stick at all, other than the rubber cap ripping off. I spam C Stick with no difficulty.I do dislike the L/R Buttons, but I find them annoying on the GCC, so it doesn't really matter. I prefer it to a GCC.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
omg hey CORY ;)
sup, doh! next time you're in dfdubs, let us know!

and about nailpolish: ferreals. i've had this controller almost since i started playing smash. i just swap the case out for new innards every now and again. the nail polish has never come off. someone i saw at ltc had half of his painted bright red with nailpolish, too. ****'s legit.

emiguelsv

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpaceMS
And I have an update on my own controller: this isn't much but I made is so my L and R buttons are pushed all the way out like normal, but they only go down into a click position. Straight digital. It's essentially like removing the springs, but I put some spacers in there so that they stick out all the way instead of being depressed all the time. I love it so far.

That explanation may have been terrible.
Can you expand further? I'm not a native english speaker and couldn't find what a spacer is. I would like to do the same you did since I removed the spring from my R button, without doing anything to the L button, but want them to be at the same height and not just have the R button depressed all the time.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can you expand further? I'm not a native english speaker and couldn't find what a spacer is. I would like to do the same you did since I removed the spring from my R button, without doing anything to the L button, but want them to be at the same height and not just have the R button depressed all the time.
I just used "spacer" as a generic term for something I made myself that made the R button the same height as the L.

I can try to explain what I did -- it isn't that complicated in reality but might be hard to describe.

I took a knockoff controller, non-Nintendo brand, that I wasn't really using and took out the L and R buttons. I cut away at the "shell" of the button until all that was left was the rod in the middle:

Then I cut that rod up into 1/4 inch sections (about 5.5mm) each.

So now all you have to do is put this little rod inside the black thing (or whatever color yours might be is) :

Then put in the R or L button, then carefully put it back in the controller. This can be hard because if you squeeze the trigger button too hard it will all pop out.

And that's all there is to it! The hardest part certainly is cutting the rod into small chunks of the right size. I heated up a knife so it melted the plastic as I cut.

Top Bottom