• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any advice on Diddy?

False Soundz

Smash Apprentice
I hate diddy >.>

Every time I play a diddy I play pretty good, until the banana's come out. That's about 10 seconds into the match.

I can't control the banana's because of ridiculous speed after the throw. I get either grabbed or dash attacked before I can get up, and if I do get up it's everything all over.

So any advice? Don't say transform into Zelda.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
With Sheik you're in a losing battle against Diddy since Diddy can glidetoss, while Sheik cannot. The thing about Sheik is that she requires a lot of ground in order to perform really well with her little tricks and whatnot. Diddy eliminates that option with Bananas, so that means no DACUS for you. Sheik then can only really safely traverse in the air, but Diddy will beat out Sheik's Aerials since Sheik lacks many withstanding hitboxes and disjointed ones to counter Diddy's.

My tips, play defensively. use Needles to disturb DiddyKong's glide toss, since he's not invincible when doing it. Bait his moves, since he has little lag, you only have a ery small window to punish him.

It'll be hard to gimp him since he can suicide with you at your attempt, and once again his aerials are better.

My biggest tip, I know you don't like it, but...

Change to Zelda.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
NANER COMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHHb_JRmmTk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snO7LZPrlZs There... there's your advice.

Um.. rather than that I would have to say:

Don't roll dodge or step dodge to much.

Try and keep off of the ground and away from Naners.

Use the Naners against him. Make him dread that he threw out that Naner.

I almost never have trouble with Bananas. I usally grab them with Dash Attack and use them against the Diddy. After a while he will stop throwing out so many Naners and rely on Melee combat.

Hope this helps!

stealth3654

Smash Lord
When he glide tosses a banana at you, try and jump or shield it then jump. I say this because diddy will get really close to you and either grab you or smash you. If you jump, he has to end his glide toss, then jump in the air if he still wants to follow you.

Just play extremely campy and defensive, and be wary when gimping is recovery. You don't want to get diddy humped XD

Tristan_win

Not dead.
"Diddy strength is his bananas and on levels with very few platforms they give him a huge advantage, however a good way to counter this is wait it out or to guard his banana supply.

Diddy bananas have a short life span when not being carried and throwing them out fresh ones leave Diddy quite open. I recommend if you think Diddy defense are too strong is to jump off the side of the stage and do a low tether. The only way he can reach you is if he either jump off after you or throw a banana down at you. Both of theses options are not very effect and are very easy to dodge and read.

Once his bananas start to blink begin your attack and keep the pressures on the monkey so he wont be able to throw out some more without getting punished.

Another good idea is after you kill Diddy is to immediately pick up any left over bananas and hold onto them as long as you can since Diddy can only have 2 bananas out of the field at once.

A painful thing your realize is that Diddy can make you trip on a banana even while shielding and that letting go of your shield does change your stance so at times you will be force to act.

A common Diddy strategy I’ve been facing is when Diddy fsmash, downsmash, or even ftilt my shield and because of the momentum of being hit I will slide into his bananas, which then proceeds to tech chase.

Hmm, Personally I think Diddy ^B is easier to counter with the bair then the nair. I’m not really sure why yet since I don’t fight many good Diddy often but recent matches showed that it’s harder for the money to out prioritized with his ^B.

The best advise I can really give you though is learn to catch his bananas, constantly."
By Tristan_Win 06-04-2008

Since then all I really have to add is that camping near the ledge is a good idea because it force diddy to either lose an banana each time he misses or make them start to be less careless with them so you are given more options.

Learn diddy striking distance with his glide toss and make adjustments for it in combat

To **** diddy recovery I use bairs to beat his up B, chain, and if possible needles. To beat his side B I predict he's going to use it and start a chain camp on top of the ledge which more or less removes all options to recovery without getting punished although the up B is harsh to stop for some reason.

If you have both bananas on the ground right next to you and are given enough time whip out the chain over them (IE the diddy manage to **** up greatly) instead of going for them. Without his banana Diddy has zero options against a chain camping sheik but they most likely don't know that also even if they do and just wait for their banana to go away you can just pull it back. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

Learn to pick up Bannas just as you land with a aerial or air dodge greatly remove a lot of diddy easy start up combos.

Last but not less realize that the diddy player knows what they are capable of with the banana and that although not always the case they will pursue them if given the chance. Use this predictable action to your advantage and let it help you read them.

....I guess that's all I got to say about that.

Edit: One more thing. Diddy is good no he's great but because he depends on a item to win matches he is engrave with weakness right of to bat. Although Diddy might have the control of the match for most of the battle it doesn't change the fact Diddy is very weak at killing and easily beatable if you play smart enough.

The more Diddy experiences you have the more you will rock them no matter how much more skilled they might be to you.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Throw his bananas away, unless he's in kill percentages and you feel like the banana you're holding will help you to get the kill.
Be aggressive as long as there are no bananas. Watch out for his grabs since 1 grab = 2 bananas for Diddy.
Be defensive when he has his bananas on the field.
Read Tristan's post.

D1RE

Smash Cadet
Former Sheik, now diddy main. Maybe I can help a bit here.

First of all, Diddy can perform well without bananas. It does not mean he's not better off with, but don't underestimate him without the bananas. If oyu get hold of a banana, throw it into the air. While it's in the air it won't vanish and you got control of it. Catch banans with airdodge, that will help you a lot. SHADING when approaching is not a bad idea since you might get lucky and get a banana.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
learn to control the bannanas.

you wont beat diddy until you learn to control em.

he has some nasty air priority too but you should be able to outspace him.

his bair comes out fast and hurts

fair is slow and if he misses with it close to the ground he lands on his back.

dont be afraid to jump around and dodge alot.

or to stand back, shielding bananas and just spamming needles. if diddy wants to play spammy games you can too =p

stealth3654

Smash Lord
If you get control over a banana, throw it somewhere that is hard for diddy to reach it or have to get past you to reach it. For example: The rock stage on pokemon stadium 1 can be used to hide diddy's bananas by throwing them on the ledge of the left side with the cliff. Then, in order for diddy to get that banana, he has to get past you, or wait for it to vanish so he can re spawn some more. If he chooses the second option, then you get to fight the diddy while he only has one banana.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Hm, well jump over the bananas, camp alot with needles, don't try running up on Diddy too much, let him come to you.
When the opportunity strikes, make use of her frame traps most.
The best way to keep Diddy from drawing bananas is to stay in his face, most Diddy's need space to draw bananas so they'll do it when you're far away. If you stay as close to them, it'll keep them from drawing bananas as much. If you want to take it to the skies, neutral air and back air are your best options.

Considering Diddy's approaches, compared to Sheik's, it's a large case of wear-n-tear.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Show me a video of a good Diddy losing to a Zelda and then I might consider it because right now I still think Zelda gets pressured ***** by diddy even with her reflector

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Just switch to zelda and use her lightning kick^falcon punch combo. best 0 death combo in game
LOL Falcon Punch FTW
Anyways, being a Diddy main, I can tell you what good Diddys will do so that you can counter them.
First of all, I wouldnt approach Diddy. They have too many options (dribbleing back, shielding to banana throw, sheildgrabbing etc.) Its better to force them to approach with your projectiles.

Second of all, its better to hold his bananas than to throw them away (at least I think so) When my opponent does this, it disrupts my game a lot and it puts pressure on me knowing that my opponent is holding a banana. You drop them when hit sometimes causing them to slip and you can momentum cancel by throwing. Very situational but any little thing helps.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Dang. I saw this thread too late. Everyone is giving good advice, so I will just draw attention to my most important suggestion:

[size=+3]STEAL DIDDY'S BANANAS![/size]

Sheik is very agile. Don't give Diddy too much space. If he pulls out a banana, go snatch it!

Top Bottom