• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti Presents : The Gauntlet Tournament Videos

ANTi_

Smash Hero
This was a tournament taken place Friday , March 27th. The following were matches of my olimar in action. Meta Knight (my main) was banned at this tournament lets start off now.

-Winners Finals-
Anti :olimar: vs Rookie :fox:

-Round 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMZTmPQrKLU&feature=channel_page
-Round 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS0nO2Qwnuw&feature=channel_page
-Round 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx3r9kJ8q7A&feature=channel_page

~Rookie is slated to be one of the best Fox players in New York~

Next is a big one. (no homo)

-Grand Finals-
Anti :olimar: Vs Bum :dk:
-Round 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmTsPXY8tlk&feature=channel_page
-Round 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9qQIeCb3qw&feature=channel_page
-Round 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg82fgpS-3g&feature=channel_page

~Bum is slated to be the #1 ranked player in New York~

Here is a bracket match of Me vs Bum

-Bracket Match-
Anti :olimar: vs Bum :dk:
-Round 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQyF2kjwIfE&feature=channel_page
-Round 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOcDyJGBNi8&feature=channel_page
-Round 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g41h-3wT_ns&feature=channel_page

Please critique on what i need to work on etc. keep in mind that i am a MK main not Olimar but i plan on using his as a secondary.

~For those who watched and commented the videos thank you~

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
i have little DK experience (and definitely not any as good as bum haha) so i wont try to give much advice for your games against him because i wont know what i'm talking about :x

when you grab fox at 0%, regrab, regrab (after a short dash), usmash, and uair/fair if possible, rather than just a downthrow to usmash.

in the frigate match against fox, when he was respawning you threw away a white. dont do that xD
i could understand throwing away whites when you're oponent's at high percents and you're looking for a kill, but not when you're main priority is building up damage.

when you have a lack of breathing room, dont start spamming smashes/sidesteps. It doesnt work that well. focus more on getting the **** away from the opponent. get your spacing back how it should be.

dont diminish your throws when you dont have to. Purple backthrow is only 2 less damage than purple uthrow. However, it's best to use the UThrow for the damage, as blue pikmin are easier to grab with when going for kill throws, while USmash should be your main move for vertical kills. Learn which throws you'd use for each color when building up damage in different situations, so that killing throws wont be too difficult to pull off.

but you definitely have a solid olimar. And I lol'd at the stage selection xD
thought only we in the midwest used janky stages like circuit :laugh:

oh yeah, whistle guard more ;D

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Thanks for that Hilt i seriously forgotten why i thrown the pikmin away lol.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Before I watch these, are you the dude that upset Azen at CoT4? :p

edit:
Good matches. You're a little impatient at times and you're more aggressive than you should be IMO, but I guess that comes with maining MK. It's stupid to ban him at any tournament yet. Any reason in particular they banned him?

I've got a lot of experience versus a great Fox player. You don't have to be very aggressive in the matchup. Sit at about mid range (not long range, or he'll outcamp you) and just chuck your pikmin. When you do this, make sure that if you short hop your pikmin throws, he doesn't run up under you. He did this a lot to yah.

Stay grounded when he gets close and pivotgrab to make some room. You can grab all of his ground approaches and shieldgrab or pivotgrab all of his aerial approaches so don't run at him! If he's jumping in the air all over the place like they tend to do, don't run after him. That's what he wants you to do because it gives him some approaching options. Just sit back and throw pikmin at his landing and just focus on walling off his approaches.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
On the second match, you got cleverly edgehogged by Rookie on the second stock. When you're getting edgeguarded, don't try to defend yourself by throwing Pikmin, it's not going to stop them. Instead, use your whistle, or one of Olimar's aerials.

fishyz0911

Smash Rookie
Great matches.

Noticed you didn't pivot grab all that much, wondering if that's just your play style or there is a reason for it.

Also when your hit upwards is it better to do an up air or down air for DI?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
thrw moar pikmanz n grb lots

Hilt covered most of the critique. In the first match of grand finals, you had a lot of opportunity to camp more. Watch when you have whites coming. While they can be good for comboing, dthrow->white throw is probably a better choice than dthrow->white usmash. Camp more when you two are on opposite sides of the road. When he approached at the very beginning, he went from above. When he's above you like that, go in for uair, it has amazing priority and is good for comboing at low percents.

Speakin of that first match, I've never really played circuit much...but it looks like an amazing oli stage. The way the road arcs is perfect for tossin pikmin, and walkoffs are always friendly to oli.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Bracket Match 1:
1:02 - When you have one Pikmin and you're looking to recover, ALWAYS toss it and go for a Pikminless recover. Your chances are much better for recovering because it actually has the same distance as 2 or 3 Pikmin. Afterward you can probably pluck and immediately follow up with an attack using that Pikmin.

Entire video - Don't use DAir so much because there is too much lag on it. Only use it if it's with a Yellow Pikmin and for a spike.

Bracket Match 2:

1:00 - If you can get a pummel in using White Pikmin, do it. It racks up 4% per pummel and you can often grab release into FSmash afterward. The grab release isn't a sure thing so make sure that your opponent isn't expecting it.

2:08 - Watch your usage of tether. Don't get so nervous or quick to pull away that you accidentally miss possible hits. A little practice and you'll have that down.

Entire Video - Olimar's forward and backward rolls aren't too good, Spot Dodge is usually the perfered option to use. It's also a good idea to use DSmash afterward. I also want you to realize that when your opponent isn't in killing percentages, Up Tilt is a really good move to stop characters like Donkey Kong. It reaches almost as high, comes out after and can be combo'd into itself, then USmash for more damage than Up Smash alone.

Bracket Match 3:

Entire Video - During matches where someone tries to use aerials against Olimar, that you successfully shield. You can usually catch them with DSmash to knock them away and get some pressure off yourself. This isn't the same for every match-up, anything that's faster than the time it takes you to drop your shield and DSmash will get past you.

Grand Finals:

Round 1 - One thing I didn't see you doing is ordering your Pikmin before DK respawns. It's a good idea to make sure that your line is prepared to deal with whatever comes your way next. For example, if your looking to press more damage to keep up a lead you want to order your White Pikmin in first so that as soon as DK's invincibility wears off, you can knock some damage into him. If you're within certain KO range, you may want to prepare Purples to knock opponents away or Blues to throw them away.

Round 2 - It looked like you were trying, but on Jungle Japes always keep on the largest platform because if you fall in the water, you're screwed. On that stage I like to wall of pain and pivot grab anything that comes my way. FSmash, FAir, USmash are all your friends here. If something comes from forward or above, you've got an answer. If all else fails, Pivot Grab. That stage is so conjested you're likely to grab them. If they escape you, they probably used the platform which puts them in a bad position.

Round 3 - Not too much to say here, just go on what was said the first time you came here.

Winner's Finals:

Round 1 - 0:00 The first thing you need to do with Fox is DThrow chain him. DThrow chain against Fox works from 0 ~ 20% (21% being the point where another grab is impossible to land without fail) , then Up Smash, followed by an aerial attack of some sort. It's a great combo that takes off a nice chunk of each of his stocks.

Entire Video - Stop rolling so much, Olimar's rolls are bad, like I said. When Fox uses DAir, it's a really good idea to Pivot Grab them. If there isn't enough space, Up Air them and even Up Tilt may work (I'm not positive on UTilt).

1:26 ~ 1:27 - There is no point in being afraid of Fox or Falco's Side B recoveries, especially not on a slopped stage where you're down the slope. You always want to try and catch them with Up Smash or FSmash. An FSmash wall almost always works against either attack, but because of the situation, you may have opted for Up Smash.

Ending - Nice double Up Air finish. xD

Round 2 - 0:00 ~ 0:47 - It may just be Fox players who don't realize it but most Fox's tend to use rising FAir then back away and use Side B to recover once they believe it's safe. I think FSmash would definitely take care that. You're also trying to hit Fox with Pikmin as he's using Blast, not too good an idea but not too bad either. When they're hoping around using projectiles, they're usually trying to lure you into a SH Double Side B so that they can catch you right as you use the second one with some sort of attack. To stop that I'd try SH a single Pikmin as Fox lands or don't SH and just throw from a closer range on the ground. Nothing Fox does can get through your FSmash, so you should be pretty safe.

Pivot grab a lot more.

Round 3 - Not bad at all. Just know that with Yellow Pikmin, you can actually spike someone without leaving the stage or moving from above it. If you use Yellow Pikmin and spike on the edge of the stage (sort of how G&W mains do it) you can still get the spike.

KBM

Smash Ace
Try not to roll... like, ever. it's awful XD

I only watched the Norfair match against Bum, but when you're falling back down to the stage, you were trying to air dodge past his attacks, but you should fast fall nairs; it ***** through almost everything. or whistle :S

you also tried to fair him through the platforms, and Uair is deeeeefinitely the way to go through platforms, unless its like a guaranteed punish

oh, and don't use dair unless you're actually spiking... this goes along with the dont-air-dodge into the stage thing, just fast fall nairs, it combos right into an up tilt or upsmash

Top Bottom