• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti-Link Tactics

BladesOfBrothers

Smash Rookie
How do I counter a Link? Some of my friends just tell me to camp and use Neutral A to deflect his projectiles, but that doesn't seem like enough. Any tips? Thanks ^_^

Ma Moi

Smash Cadet
How do I counter a Link? Some of my friends just tell me to camp and use Neutral A to deflect his projectiles, but that doesn't seem like enough. Any tips? Thanks ^_^
Well, what's help me is to simply get right up to Link because his melee isn't as good as Marth's. Just try not to stay too far away from Link since he'll start throwing his projectiles at you. Hmm... grabbing's always good in my opinion. It has always worked for me.

Robin60062

Smash Apprentice
I hate approaching a projectile-spamming Link looking for a grab cuz Link's grab range is farther. I suggest reading when your opponent likes to throw a projectile and run at him like mad whenever he does it; ma moi said it but Link's melee attacks are better than Link's.

AS Money

Smash Lord
ma moi said it but Link's melee attacks are better than Link's.
1.???
2. use fair to kill projectiles
3.marth destroys link in speed and being better and haveing a longer sword

also try the fair its way better than the nair for deflecting spam

also just dont get grabbed and mindgame them into missed grabs cuz its like a free tipper it takes so long to get his chain back

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I'm a Link main, so I guess I can tell you guys what my friend does.

Be as aggressive as possible. If Link can't get his projectiles out, he loses a LOT of his anti-Marth game. Don't get grabbed either, Link's grab is like a free 40% on you, which is NEVER good. But the big one is watch out for the sex kick. If you attack a shielding Link, he's probably gonna jump out of the shield and sex kick you, or retreating sex kick. Space your attacks just right so that if he DOES jump out of the shield, you won't get hit and you can counterattack quickly.

Ma Moi

Smash Cadet

Be as aggressive as possible. If Link can't get his projectiles out, he loses a LOT of his anti-Marth game. Don't get grabbed either, Link's grab is like a free 40% on you, which is NEVER good. But the big one is watch out for the sex kick. If you attack a shielding Link, he's probably gonna jump out of the shield and sex kick you, or retreating sex kick. Space your attacks just right so that if he DOES jump out of the shield, you won't get hit and you can counterattack quickly.
I agree. You have to rush Link since before he starts throwing projectiles. If he does do a grab and miss, there's you're chance. Link is generally a slower character than Marth and is a lot of times left wide open. yeah, he can do a "sex kick" after shielding OR do a spin attack. Countering a spin attack can also be useful.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Said as it is Blade of Apollo. I know cause I'm the friend he's talking about. I still have trouble with link myself but Marth is meant to be a close combat fighter. The funny thing is, the most important part of close combat is not getting hit (easier for Marth due to his sword being ginourmous). They both combo each other very well (as seen in Aniki's and Ken's videos) so it's a matter of who makes an oppenig.

marthbeatsroy

Smash Cadet
well, I occasionally use link against my brother, who plays at roy. what my brother tends to do is going on the air to get close. the only projectile that can get you on the air is a bomb, and it takes a darn long time to get that out. Use marth's speed to your advantage, and try to send him airborne. Marth is one of the best juggling character ( based on my gameplay). You can also attempt to counter all of link's projectiles. The projectiles are annoying, but the good thing about it is that they take a long while to be performed, and speed is your essence

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
well, I say you should just approach hin like anyone else and do NOT let him use projectiles. There's also always the lucky chance where his grab misses by an inch, that's the perfect chance to tipper FSmash right where you are. It's happened to me before :)

The_Marth_Madness

Smash Journeyman
When you come in with an arial, L-cancel and side dodge when they try to shield grab. Remember, there is start up lag for Link to pull out his projectiles.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Be marth and don't stay far away from him or he'll fire arrows or his boomerange at you, don't give him any breathing room and jump and avoid his projectiles and hit him. Also use your counter alot its very effective.

technomancer

Smash Champion
If you time your dash attack correctly you'll be able to beat out the boomerang throw every time. Dash attack is huge in comboing link, because it's faster and has better range than all of your other attacks, and pops Link up for mad ez juggles.

Zomg but dash attack sux u guyz! I'm not saying Dash attack a Link that's just chillin there, but apply some pressure and throw them in occasionally (esp if you sense a boomerang)

Also, don't rely on your Fair to deflect rangs; use your spotdodge and shield VERY liberally. Just don't take damage from him and he'll eventually have to attempt to approach, where you can pwnz him.

Also, IMO blitzing link is going to get you grabbed. Hookshot > fair, so stick to SH double fairs or SH fair uair -> grab to try to beat it out.

DuKe™

Smash Journeyman
sometimes link becomes to high percent and it get gay trying to kill so i would corner him and when he dodgeroll to you other side d smash so it can get him from underneath and kill him upwards

AverageScalp

Smash Cadet
Well, in general Marth isn't the best character for Link, but once you've memorized Link's movements, you should be able to sidestep/dodge practically anything. I find being just withing their grabbing range and dodging their grab to be very effective, unless of course you're fighting a pro; then it might not work so well. Also, if you press A while air dodging a bomb, you'll still grab it, giving you a nice little edge.

hilaxial

Smash Cadet
about edgeguarding link:
can a ledgehopped dair spike link? I've been trying it, with no results. it's hard to edge guard him too in general - when he uses the grapple and times the spin recovery so he barely makes the edge, i can't hit him with my fsmash and usually get hit by one of the spin swipes. any help?

what's your opinion: is it better to approach link with shffld aerials or ground game (dash attack, grabs, WD smashes)
when i come in with aerials i just get projectiled in the face, WDing in gets me hookshot grabbed, DD grabs and dash attacks seem to work the best...

AS Money

Smash Lord
^the dtilt is your friend in edge gaurding link cuz it can crouch cansel the two weaker hits of the up B then poke him before the last one hits. ofcourse if they do it right which most do the third may be the only thing to hit so be careful

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
The dtilt is your friend. It applies a LOT of pressure and makes then have to learn how to tech.

And a hint for approaching Link. As soon as the screen says "GO!" attack him. You can probably get pretty close in the amount of time it takes to pull out a projectile. That and use your post-death invinsibility frames wisely.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Drop off the edge and grab it again to refresh your invincibility frames as he gets close so you can roll and edgehog him if you see him up B. If he goes for the hookshot instead drop, from the ledge and bair him. You have to make sure you drop below where the hookshot will hit and need to use your second jump to hit him with the bair without losing to much height.

Another usefull edgeguard would be a shffl'd dair because it hits below the edge and the short hop should help you avoid getting hit by his up B.

One of the coolest ideas I got for edgeguarding ,(I haven't actually tried it but it seems like a solid idea) is to hang on the ledge then drop off and counter his up B or even the hook shot. You'll have to make sure you're closer to the stage so that the counter pushes him away from the stage, but it should work. It probably won't be effective at low percents, but it's pretty easy and should kill him around 60 or so.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
Lots of good advice here. My two cents:

Never let up. The moment you let Link get away from you, he has his bombs, boomerang, and bow at his disposal. Sure you can swat projectiles, but if they're good enough with the timing, they will get them in. If he's grab-happy, dash to spot-dodge, wavedash back to fmash tipper (that should work I think). You've got time to spare if he misses that grab. When recovering, sweet spot the ledge or Link's Up+B will own you hardcore. If he keeps whacking you with the nair boot, maybe try tossing in one to three Counters to make him hesitate when using aerials and such. Last thing most people don't expect is using your Counter against an Up+B.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
I also play against a friend who is very good with link. Be carefull with SH Double Fair, they can Spinattack in counter. Rely on your grabs and combos. Don't Smash attack him too much, cause he has the hookshot. When he is coming back you can spike him with the Rear part of the Dair (not ledgehopping, simply doing a high jump and fastfalling).
Nair is your friend too n_n.

Top Bottom