• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti Captain Falcon

Insomniac487

Smash Cadet
Anybody knows who beats Captain Falcon ? someone that can counter him really good? preferbably someone with a lot of anti-air moves? The reason why I ask is because I use link as my main character. i have a really good link in my opinion and i beat alll these people except this one person that uses Captain Falcon. :confused: . basically whatever i do, i end up getting my butt kicked :confused:

1. link throws - WAYY too long of a recovery time, if i miss it leaves a LONG window period for them to punish me. so i try not to use this that much. seems the only safe time to use it, and have it grab guranteed is when they get hit by a upclose boomerang. not sure if there are any other safe times to use this move?

2. UP+A - gets outbeaten by captain falcon's downkick 90%. whats up with this? I thought links up sword, beats out a LOT of things?

3. DOWN+A, if missed... the recovery time is ridiculous. it leaves plenty of time for falcon to punish me

Imagine a falcon that jumps a *LOT* and comes down with his downkick move. someone who does that allll day long. Also, he juggles with UP+A a lot and theres pretty no way to get out of it. if I can recover in time, ill use link's Down+A, but most of the time i don't recover fast enough and i get KO'ed. So I ask...anybody know how I can better my link, to beating Captain Falcon? Cause ****, its getting to the point where im losing a lot and i REALLY shouldn't be. it pisses me off beyond words. Anybody in that same situtation? Thats how it feels... so link experts, what wise advise can you give me? ;)

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
The up a-do you mean on the ground or in the air? An UP-A in the air is called aua or ua, while an up-a on the ground is called an up-tilt.
For that problem I think it's more of timing.

As for the Down A (I'm assuming you mean an aerial down a, called a dair or ada) then if you z-cancel there should be no lag time at all. Read the stickied faq for an explanation.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
You talk about jumping Falcons as if this was something new ¬.¬
The Falcon you're talking about sounds like a jump --> Dair kind of guy...which is probably one of Falcon's worse approaches.
If by downkick you mean Falcon Kick then I think there is no hope for you :lick:
Just projectible spam a bunch and...like cam said...learn to Z-cancel. When Z-canceling just stick to the air and spam aerials and projectiles all day.

hambread

Smash Apprentice
bombs and boomerang will do it.
get out bomb. smash boomerang. throw bomb. and rush him. preferably with a well timed Fair.

and yes. timing.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Pikachu & Kirby, GG.[/QUOT]

i geuss this is correct for non-competitive players but pikachu really doesnt stack well agesnt falcon in higher lvls of play, once pika is grabed by falcon its bye bye =.=

Kirby has ebnough priority to be a ***** though, just tell your friend to stop jumping nicly, if he doesnt show him what a Fsmash is with kirby, then you can bargine with him xD <--joke

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Pikachu & Kirby, GG.[/QUOT]

i geuss this is correct for non-competitive players but pikachu really doesnt stack well agesnt falcon in higher lvls of play, once pika is grabed by falcon its bye bye =.=

Kirby has ebnough priority to be a ***** though, just tell your friend to stop jumping nicly, if he doesnt show him what a Fsmash is with kirby, then you can bargine with him xD <--joke
Well, on dreamland, pika grabbing falcon is also byebye. I'd say it's about even if you're a competent gimper.

AlanCiTuAndPope20

Smash Journeyman
Without thinking about it, and doing the instant you read this sentence, run through the closest wall, that’s impossible

i know this is off topic but "nothing is impossibul" is a smartass's dream xD

Lol,I just tried to say any char can beat the others. Link -- Kirby .... Link -- Pikachu.
It depends on how good u r .

Kami

Smash Cadet
Search youtube for isai link 64 or something like that, then learn to z-cancel, then stop using your grab when it can be avoided =P.

Insomniac487

Smash Cadet
thanks for the advice guys. I noticed with Z-canceling, canceling the lag on the Dair is awesome. if i don't do the Z-cancel, theres a yellow ring around him for a split second which = lag. The goal is not to see that yellow ring :) that extra second makes ALL the difference...... it could save me from being thrown ...Yeah, i *just* got back into playing SSB64 so i was lacking some advance techniques :laugh:

Ive also come up with bomb/boomerang patterns thats sure to trick people and play mind games ;) Isai has a really good link.. i would say i play almost exactly like him but i use wayyy more bombs & boomerangs

one thing i have trouble with is edge-hogging. so lets say the opponent gets hit far away and tries to make it back on stage. how exactly do i "hold on the to the edge" ? i tried standing at the very end of it, and pressing left/right (depending on where i am), and thought i would fall and hold on but nothing happens. I also tried jumping and grabbing on the edge but it doesn't work. i can only do it when im hit far away, coming back. Anybody know how to do it? thanks

Thino

Smash Master
u must be facing toward the ledge to successfully edgehog , so you must turn backwards before jumping to the ledge

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
thanks for the advice guys. I noticed with Z-canceling, canceling the lag on the Dair is awesome. if i don't do the Z-cancel, theres a yellow ring around him for a split second which = lag. The goal is not to see that yellow ring :) that extra second makes ALL the difference...... it could save me from being thrown ...Yeah, i *just* got back into playing SSB64 so i was lacking some advance techniques :laugh:

Ive also come up with bomb/boomerang patterns thats sure to trick people and play mind games ;) Isai has a really good link.. i would say i play almost exactly like him but i use wayyy more bombs & boomerangs

one thing i have trouble with is edge-hogging. so lets say the opponent gets hit far away and tries to make it back on stage. how exactly do i "hold on the to the edge" ? i tried standing at the very end of it, and pressing left/right (depending on where i am), and thought i would fall and hold on but nothing happens. I also tried jumping and grabbing on the edge but it doesn't work. i can only do it when im hit far away, coming back. Anybody know how to do it? thanks
"i would say i play almost exactly like him "

i would be very interested in seeing this...

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I was pretty amused at the "way more bombs and boomerangs"...Isai's projectile spam is pretty amazing as it is.

Insomniac487

Smash Cadet
I was pretty amused at the "way more bombs and boomerangs"...Isai's projectile spam is pretty amazing as it is.
well let me rephrase this. Sorta like isai, in terms of rushing down and always on their tail. but in a different sense, also VERY differently because i can also play very defensively with constant bombs/boomerangs. i should record and upload my matches on youtube or something huh? give me a week, ill see if i can figure this recording process out ;)

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
well let me rephrase this. Sorta like isai, in terms of rushing down and always on their tail. but in a different sense, also VERY differently because i can also play very defensively with constant bombs/boomerangs. i should record and upload my matches on youtube or something huh? give me a week, ill see if i can figure this recording process out ;)
lots of contridictions here but ok O_O

and every competitive link HAS to use boomerangs and boms, Link is the master of projectiles xD, as for rushing from the vids i seen Isai seems to play a good balance between defence and offence with link (which would be like 80% offence 20% defence) imo (i love imo :)

_kSo_

Smash Master
so in other words, you played the character like he is supposed to be played???

omgz

Top Bottom