• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Annoying, but still always existing things in video games.

finalark

SNORLAX
You know what I hate? Hyping up a game and then find out its **** because of a drastic change of gameplay.

Oh... I play sonic games btw. Last time I got hyped was for a game on the Wii U. I got sonic boom and lost world. I hated all the changes from what they had going. Lost world was okay but still...

Why?....why...?
You must be new to Sonic.

Welcome the to problem the community has had with the series since 1999.

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97

Bruh... im 20, and i've been playing sonic games since I was like, 7. I wasnt there for the genesis, but I have played all of them, and I share the dissapointment to the fullest.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Microtransaction, why do every game today have to have them! I paid $60 for your game why do you need to put them in, keep it in the free to play games please.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Annoying spider bosses. Y' know, the big ones that send little spiders that try to gang up on you. Just about every damn spider boss I've ever fought has done the same thing. (But I think the one in Vectorman 2 just projectile-vomited bombs of puke.) It's a shame, because I actually think spiders are pretty interesting and deserve better.

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
Annoying spider bosses. Y' know, the big ones that send little spiders that try to gang up on you. Just about every damn spider boss I've ever fought has done the same thing. (But I think the one in Vectorman 2 just projectile-vomited bombs of puke.) It's a shame, because I actually think spiders are pretty interesting and deserve better.

Metroid fusion would like to have a word with you. :p

The spider boss in that game is annoying but very different from the typical ones.

Last edited:

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
No New Game +

I was kind of disappointed when I found out that XBCX didn't have it when the first game did.

Haze.

not a nice guy
Unskippable tutorials make me want to scream. I know how to catch a Pokemon, I don't need to watch some NPC catch a bidoof (not to mention how painfully slow it takes) and it's worse because whenever I want to replay the game, I'm forced to watch it again. Often all they need to do is actually ask the player if they would like to see a tutorial but nah that'd make too much sense

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I don't think that's entirely true, adventure 1, 2, heroes, shadow and 06 were all fairly similar (Maybe Heroes not so much) but then secret rings and black knight came along with their gimmicks, unleashed changed the formula for the main games completely and then lost world did the same thing and although I don't really count Rise of Lyric that happened again.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Unskippable tutorials make me want to scream. I know how to catch a Pokemon, I don't need to watch some NPC catch a bidoof (not to mention how painfully slow it takes) and it's worse because whenever I want to replay the game, I'm forced to watch it again. Often all they need to do is actually ask the player if they would like to see a tutorial but nah that'd make too much sense
Honestly, I hate tutorials period. Nothing is more boring then having to sit through walls of text before you're allowed to play the game. Maybe it's because I'm a learn by doing kind of guy, but I'd rather the game just let me figure out things for myself.

The least game devs could do is save the tutorials for the more complex stuff in the games and assume that I'm smart enough to figure out the basic controls.

Haze.

not a nice guy
Honestly, I hate tutorials period. Nothing is more boring then having to sit through walls of text before you're allowed to play the game. Maybe it's because I'm a learn by doing kind of guy, but I'd rather the game just let me figure out things for myself.

The least game devs could do is save the tutorials for the more complex stuff in the games and assume that I'm smart enough to figure out the basic controls.
I agree but there are definitely people who need tutorials, even if it's just the game teaching you how to do things as you go.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't think that's entirely true, adventure 1, 2, heroes, shadow and 06 were all fairly similar (Maybe Heroes not so much) but then secret rings and black knight came along with their gimmicks, unleashed changed the formula for the main games completely and then lost world did the same thing and although I don't really count Rise of Lyric that happened again.
Adventure 1 was pretty well revived back in the day, but there was (and is) a significant percent of the fanbase that thought that SA1's multiple play styles was gimmicky and that it was too much of a departure from the Genesis games.

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
Adventure 1 was pretty well revived back in the day, but there was (and is) a significant percent of the fanbase that thought that SA1's multiple play styles was gimmicky and that it was too much of a departure from the Genesis games.
Sega just struggles to keep its own formula. You dont see mario fans complain and change the entire gameplay style from game to game as much as sega.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Sega just struggles to keep its own formula. You dont see mario fans complain and change the entire gameplay style from game to game as much as sega.
This is why the Sonic fanbase can't agree on anything. Is Sonic a momentum-oriented platformer like the Genesis series? Or is it about having a wide verity of play styles like the early 3D games? Or is it about boosting through the level at breakneck speeds like the newer 3D games? There's so many different versions of Sonic that nobody knows what the core appeal of Sonic even is anymore.

Besides, Sega's not exactly the king of good decisions. Not localizing PSO2 even though the demand was there, the sheer goldmine of IPs that they refuse to let anyone do anything with, the plummet in quality control in their post-Dreamcast years. Hell, I'm willing to say that the death of Sega consoles was more by their own hands than it was anyone else's.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
This is why the Sonic fanbase can't agree on anything. Is Sonic a momentum-oriented platformer like the Genesis series? Or is it about having a wide verity of play styles like the early 3D games? Or is it about boosting through the level at breakneck speeds like the newer 3D games? There's so many different versions of Sonic that nobody knows what the core appeal of Sonic even is anymore.

Besides, Sega's not exactly the king of good decisions. Not localizing PSO2 even though the demand was there, the sheer goldmine of IPs that they refuse to let anyone do anything with, the plummet in quality control in their post-Dreamcast years. Hell, I'm willing to say that the death of Sega consoles was more by their own hands than it was anyone else's.
I've always just seen Sonic as high-speed platforming regardless of the form it takes. Like how Mario is a platformer whether it's 2D, 3D, Collectathon or whatever.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I think any kind of artificial difficulty is unnaceptable. Trying and error/memorization is one thing, but having to do something over and over just because teh devs didn't know how to make something difficult so they just did something cheap ain't fun.
Sounds like the raid bosses of Borderlands 2, with their stupid novas and gimmicky properties. A tough enemy shouldn't be doing something stupid or limiting you somehow just to be tough. I can't say I've dealt with this so frequently, but there are dumb moments like this.

Anyway....

There are moments when you have to do something completely out of the blue to progress in certain ways. LoZ: PH is one such example. Who the hell would've thought to close and reopen the DS? At least offer me a sense of direction or something, dammit. I know puzzles are supposed to be challenging, but that was just stupid design.

I'm also not a fan of stages with constant instakill hazards which limit your pace. MMX6 was one of the worst offenders, especially in a stage like the Recycle Lab. I don't like having to crouch every 5 seconds and potentially getting hit which causes me to lose a life and have to start that nonsense all over again.

Nintendo seems to have this issue of locking players into one control style in many of their games. Maybe I don't want to have to use the A button to jump in your many platformers, I'd prefer to use the B button(like many of the 3rd party platformers did, at least in the DS era). Where are the control options Nintendo?

Last edited:

Racer07

Smash Cadet
NNID
MisterSeven
3DS FC
3797-7378-1855
One thing that annoys me is when there is a lack of challenge. I've played F-ZERO GP Legend, and I can say that you can steamroll that game without effort, even on the hardest difficulty. Not to mention that the game has versions of courses that barely differ from the original, and really don't present anything new. It really felt like I wasn't playing any unique track or anything.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Nintendo seems to have this issue of locking players into one control style in many of their games. Maybe I don't want to have to use the A button to jump in your many platformers, I'd prefer to use the B button(like many of the 3rd party platformers did, at least in the DS era). Where are the control options Nintendo?
Every NSMB game has given you at least two control styles, and most have B jump by default.

Most Nintendo games nowadays simply map actions to more buttons so there's no control scheme switching. For example, in MK7 onwards both A and Y are gas, and both the automatic and manual drifting styles from MKW are active at the same.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Still, I won't deny that Nintendo has an odd style of control schemes.
Either it's a small pool where you have maybe two or three styles to pick from, or it's some unconventional method: Like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Smash 3DS' (where it's less "pick" and more "shuffle about 'till you find your preference").

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
I think any kind of artificial difficulty is unnaceptable. Trying and error/memorization is one thing, but having to do something over and over just because teh devs didn't know how to make something difficult so they just did something cheap ain't fun.
That reminds me a TON of halo 2 legendary difficulty as a kid. This one time I was playing this one level (idk what it was) for the grunt birthday party skull when I was like 6, I had to perfect every single portion of the level. I died at least 1000 times. I would pretty much slowly progress through the level, dying until I discovered and perfected a tactic that would not get me killed. It ended up taking me like 4 hours to get to the skull. Bad thing about it though was that after I got the skull my brother wanted to play, but when he was done playing he turned off the xbox unknowingly deleting all of my progress. Rest in pepperino 6 year old tata.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Every NSMB game has given you at least two control styles, and most have B jump by default.
Hmm, I must've forgotten that detail. It's been a while since I last played them, actually.

Most Nintendo games nowadays simply map actions to more buttons so there's no control scheme switching. For example, in MK7 onwards both A and Y are gas, and both the automatic and manual drifting styles from MKW are active at the same.
I'm aware of the MK controls since 7, I've been using the Y button to accelerate. Don't care much for Automatic drifting though, I've always preferred Manual. Well, not that it really ever hindered me in any way.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
...Or it's some unconventional method: Like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Smash 3DS' (where it's less "pick" and more "shuffle about 'till you find your preference").
I think it's a system power thing, bizarrely. I think we all remember how KIU supports the CPP but only one analogue stick, and then how SSB3D sucks out every ounce of power from the older models.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Games with an unfair challenge and really annoying enemies. It can get really annoying very quickly. If the challenge is mostly filled with cheap moments at least...

...Castlevania...

Last edited:

Eryx

Smash Cadet
Games with an unfair challenge and really annoying enemies. It can get really annoying very quickly. If the challenge is mostly filled with cheap moments at least...

...Castlevania...
Bats. Its always the bats in every game. There must be a mountain of bats some place in the world.

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF
Lots of Lags during Battle especially in the heat moments of the battle, Water Temple from Legend of Zelda Ocarina time, That Tunnel Riding on something From Donkey Kong Country Saga, Barrel from Donkey Kong, Castle Puzzle From Super Mario Bros 1 and Video Games without Continue when you almost finish the game suddenly something happen I have to begin all again from Scratch.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
When Normal difficulty is too easy but Hard is too hard

COUGH FIRE EMBLEM FATES COUGH

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
When Normal difficulty is too easy but Hard is too hard

COUGH FIRE EMBLEM FATES COUGH
Meanwhile, in Fire Emblem Awakening:
Normal: Everyone is Superman, has incredible killing power and all of them have the potential to steamroll entire armies on their own.
Hard: Everyone is Rambo, but occasionally the enemy gets a janky critical hit on you.
Lunatic: Everyone is made of wet, expired sugar, their weapons tickle your enemies, all of your units should probably be wearing glasses because of how often they miss and the enemies get lots of crits on you.

I guess they have no idea how to balance difficulty.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Bosses that have a minute of invincibility but only a few seconds of vulnerability. Bonus points go to those that soak up damage like a sponge. Because nothing is more fun than playing the arbitrary waiting game.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
No New Game +

I was kind of disappointed when I found out that XBCX didn't have it when the first game did.
Majora's Mask 3D pissed me off in this regard. Ocarina of Time 3D had Master Quest. MM3D took four years to come out after OoT3D (twice as long as it took for the original to come out after the original OoT). No Hero Mode either, nothing. What the hell were they thinking? (Although it's still less lazy than Twilight Princess HD lol)

As for a problem I have, I say the inability to change control layouts. Even basic games like New Super Mario Bros let you mildly change controls (i.e. swapping between having Y/X be run and B/A as jump or Y/B as run and X/A as jump), but why don't any of the 3DS Zeldas allow this? I would've been a far happier camper to be allowed to make Y the sword button, B as the action button, and X/A as the item buttons.

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Majora's Mask 3D pissed me off in this regard. Ocarina of Time 3D had Master Quest. MM3D took four years to come out after OoT3D (twice as long as it took for the original to come out after the original OoT). No Hero Mode either, nothing. What the hell were they thinking? (Although it's still less lazy than Twilight Princess HD lol)

As for a problem I have, I say the inability to change control layouts. Even basic games like New Super Mario Bros let you mildly change controls (i.e. swapping between having Y/X be run and B/A as jump or Y/B as run and X/A as jump), but why don't any of the 3DS Zeldas allow this? I would've been a far happier camper to be allowed to make Y the sword button, B as the action button, and X/A as the item buttons.
Allowing dynamic changing of control sticks would have probably allowed many more ways to exploit the game using glitches such as Action Swap, and 1 frame buffers while changing controls. I can already see it, and it isn't pretty. Its janky and efficient lol. But ehh, with the newer consoles multiple controls should almost always be a option.

Last edited:

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Allowing dynamic changing of control sticks would have probably allowed many more ways to exploit the game using glitches such as Action Swap, and 1 frame buffers while changing controls. I can already see it, and it isn't pretty. Its janky and efficient lol. But ehh, with the newer consoles multiple controls should almost always be a option.
Well, while I'm dreaming here I'd also hope that the games would be well programmed enough to not sacrifice the possibility of a basic expectation of 21st century gaming (plus I don't see how just a mild button config like in New Super Mario Bros would make these glitches any more or less terrible).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
A complete and udder lack of gameplay balance. Say what you will about Smash, but when you have games as unbalanced as Sticker Star, Golden Sun and Fire Emblem Awakening it sucks all the fun out of the game.

Do note there's a difference between being poorly balanced and games being balanced around self-imposed challenges. Twilight Princess for example gives you the Zora Tunic with a weakness to fire and ice, and yet there's not fire or ice anywhere near where you'd need the tunic. Or how the game lets you use the otherwise completely worthless Ordon sword and skip heart containers. Or games like Kingdom Hearts (2) and the Mario and Luigi series. Since you can avoid all damage by simply playing well you can beat the games at the lowest levels possible. There's nothing stopping you from grinding to level 99 and practically one-shoting bosses but at no point is it necessary.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Wasn't Master Quest in the gamecube version to begin with though?

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
RNGesus:
  1. RNG is why you either got the Sword of Kings on your first try or one millionth
  2. RNG is why you had to spend 15+ dollars to get the one royal hairstyle/face you wanted out of 6 in MapleStory
  3. RNG is why X character had horrible stat growth this run
  4. RNG is always against you (looking at you, post-game Pokemon)

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Loading Screens.

I understand loading new parts of the game is necessary, but you can mask them. Pretty sure Jak 2 did that, usually in the elevator sections. Watching something load midway through a game completely removes my immersion.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Loading Screens.

I understand loading new parts of the game is necessary, but you can mask them. Pretty sure Jak 2 did that, usually in the elevator sections. Watching something load midway through a game completely removes my immersion.
I don't mind them unless they are ridiculously long and/or way too frequent

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Old gen GTAV's loading times are cringeworthy. It's a minute of loading minimum everytime you wanna load a save, and it's atleast 20 seconds of loading everytime you die.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
RNGesus:
  1. RNG is why you either got the Sword of Kings on your first try or one millionth
The Sword of Kings baffles me. For how late and rare it is in the game, it's totally not worth it unless you're doing a low-level run or are a completionist. In my 5 times playing through EB, I've never once gotten the damn thing but my farming for it has always leveled my characters to the mid/high 80s. I always stop at a certain point to make sure Ness doesn't suffer from the stat-rollover glitch after fighting his Nightmare.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Funny, I've played Earthbound once and got the SoK two battles after making a joke about grinding for it.

Some RNG is fine but the ultra rare drops really aren't. For all the jokes people make about KH being grindy everything sure seems to come fast... Probably because there's almost no ultra rare drops. The "rare" drops are like 5% on enemies that spawn in groups, and that's before the luck boosters. After and you'll probably get a few per sweep.

If something that is RNG could function just as well without RNG, then it probably shouldn't be RNG. Compare Pokemon breeding to Kid Icarus's weapon fusion. Pokemon breeding is 100% RNG, where with Kid Icarus the same two "parents" always produce the same "child" no matter what. Obviously that'd be a little broke in Pokemon without some sort of limitation, but still.

Another thing I can't stand is time wasters. Pokemon egg hatching is probably the most literal waste of time conceived. I understand the want for it to feel like you put effort into making something, but that's the worst way of going about it. EV grinding is enough.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I would say, obscure unlockables.

I don't mind when games reward you for thinking on your feet. I do mind, however, when games drop absolutely no hints about certain things, then expect you to do something ridiculous or counter-intuitive in the hopes that it might lead to some kind of reward.

For example, imagine you're partway through a game and you meet an NPC who says, "Oh, if only Otto hadn't gone to Ironforge, he wouldn't have fallen in the river. Why did such a fine blacksmith have to die so young?" And you think to yourself, "Didn't I meet a blacksmith named Otto before? Yeah! And he said something about his trip into town, and there was that other guy who said the bridge was shaky..." So, on your next playthrough, you make sure to sabotage Otto's wagon before he leaves. Then, when you're passing though Ravendale later on, "Look, it's Otto!" Apparently while he was repairing his wagon, the bridge to Ironforge fell through. Boy, he sure is lucky his wagon broke, or he might have fallen in the river! And then you check out the items he's selling and, "Wow! A really awesome item that you can't get anywhere else!" Drop some hints, let them figure it out, reward.

Now, imagine if Otto never hinted that he was going into town, and that the bridge was never brought up in conversation, and that nobody mentions anything about him after the fact. Suddenly, if you want that "really awesome item you can't get anywhere else", you have to; sabotage some random guy's wagon for absolutely no reason, go along on your merry way, notice said random guy somewhere down the road, listen as he regales you with some out-of-the-blue story about his mysterious good fortune, and THEN you understand why your random act of cruelty somehow led to a reward. And why did you do all this in the first place? Because you looked up a guide, and it told you to.
THIS. It happened to me when I played EarthBound. Absolutely no one told me that there's literally only one way to kill Giygas, and it's using Paula's Pray command, something you just don't use over the course of the entire game. How the hell was I supposed to know that?! Oh yeah, now I know because I looked it up in a ****ing guide in frustration after damaging Giygas for over an hour and a half to no avail. That's some real bad game design there. Fortunately, it's the only bad things about EarthBound.

To the OP, have you played Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door? The sewer level in that game is awesome, and the music is just beautiful!

Top Bottom