• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime Sterotypes

Sonic_keyblade

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but it seems right to me =)

As most Anime/Manga fans know, Most story's have the usual stereotypes as main characters. I'll give examples on a few from a pretty well known anime, Naruto.

Naruto
Main character: Always has to be somewhat... angsty, if that is a word. Also, kind of stupid. But always has to come out on top. Has a certain goal (To become Hokage, in this case) that most people would think impossible (maybe just for that one person).

Sakura
Main's Love interest: Usually in a love/hate relationship, slowly falling in love. Well, not really in the case of Naruto, but still, it is love/hate. Usually much smarter than the main character.

Sasuke
Main's Rival: Well, Rival says it all. But in most cases, the Rival is cooler, smarter, wiser, sometimes a VERY important part of the story, and pretty much better in nearly every way.

Hinata
The "Shy" girl/guy: In almost every Anime I see, I see one of these. This kind of anime sterotype is my personal favorite, I have no clue why though. This kind of stereotype almost always has a crush on the main character, always starts out shy, and usually becomes a bit braver as the series goes on. They blush alot, and have this pose with their hand in a fist covering their mouth... Which I can't find a picture of.

Etc. Etc. But post your favorite kind of stereotype here =)

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I love characters like Hinata, she's my favorite Naruto character even though I don't watch the anime anymore. X3

Sonic_keyblade

Smash Apprentice
Oh, And I have noticed that the majority of "Shy" characters have purple/blue hair... just and FYI.

And a bump.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Its not really sterotypes more like character archtypes.(think i got the word right) but every story ever character has a character arch. You see this in religon espically its where the first character types were discovered.There are books and studies on this and its the key to any good character development.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
TVtropes.org might interest you.

Leah pretty much had it right: You see these attributes all over media. An anime stereotype might more be along the lines of fighting robots are awesome or something. Which they are, btw.

TRUXOFF

Smash Cadet
Summary to every anime ever:

Boy who may or may not have no parents wants to be strong, REAL STRONG. He is left on his own to fend for himself, he may or may not find a giant robot and makes tons of friends. He has an unatural ability and he becomes a master at whatever it is he wants to be a master at, and his friends help him defeat "bad" guys, also is looked after by an old man who used to be a master. Eventually some one whos really bad comes along he can't beat, so he trains a lot. Usually this includes a ****ton of flashbacks and other useless garbage. Once he gets to be strong enough, he fights them and wins, and everyone loves him, even though he was once an outcast. Maybe he marries someone who is his sister BUT they aren't related by blood, so they aren't siblings but whatever it goes on. Throw in some crappy fan service, awful script, forgetable characters, horrible animation, stupid gimmicks, and the most annoying langauge ever created by human kind (japanese) and you have every anime ever made.

There you have it, every single anime is the exact same.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
^^ Ooooh controversial.

My favourite anime stereotype is the group of girls who will swoon and shriek with delight while magically emitting lovehearts whenever they see something 'cute', eg. a small puppy. Aw..

Bless their cotton socks.:)

Marie_54

Smash Ace

Boy who may or may not have no parents wants to be strong, REAL STRONG. He is left on his own to fend for himself, he may or may not find a giant robot and makes tons of friends. He has an unatural ability and he becomes a master at whatever it is he wants to be a master at, and his friends help him defeat "bad" guys, also is looked after by an old man who used to be a master. Eventually some one whos really bad comes along he can't beat, so he trains a lot. Usually this includes a ****ton of flashbacks and other useless garbage. Once he gets to be strong enough, he fights them and wins, and everyone loves him, even though he was once an outcast. Maybe he marries someone who is his sister BUT they aren't related by blood, so they aren't siblings but whatever it goes on. Throw in some crappy fan service, awful script, forgetable characters, horrible animation, stupid gimmicks, and the most annoying langauge ever created by human kind (japanese) and you have every anime ever made.

EPIC FAIL

Well i'm tired of cliches that is why i love Death Note... If you are sick of goody 2 shoes protagonists and almost everything of what this guy and the thread author said, read Death Note the protagonist is a very intelligent student that starts killing people with a Notebook he finds in which you only need to know the person's name and face.
No sensei, no goody-two shoes crap and theres blood, no flash backs, no shy girls, no friends 'cause the protagonist doesn't need any, no rival just enemies, no one is good, the protagonist is asexual,no training just killing, protagonist is not an outcast he blends in, mind games, NO fanservice i won't say why because i would spoil, read it in english, and none of the last...
plus theres only one VERY short fight in the whole series...

Ignorant ****...

LOLLL I just had to do that... I obviously know there are other exceptions but DN is the best outcast for me so far...

TRUXOFF

Smash Cadet
Sounds like a piece of crap. Completely unoriginal, completely uninteresting, and a waste of time.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
Sounds like a piece of crap. Completely unoriginal, completely uninteresting, and a waste of time.
My only goal was to disprove what you said, i don't give a crap if you are interested or not.

You are just one of more than billions of people and your opinion is not as worthy as piss on my shoes.

I gave you facts not opinions now go and weep, stereotypes are just the stupidest thing ever.

TRUXOFF

Smash Cadet
My only goal was to disprove what you said, i don't give a crap if you are interested or not.

You are just one of more than billions of people and your opinion is not as worthy as piss on my shoes.

I gave you facts not opinions now go and weep, stereotypes are just the stupidest thing ever.
I'm sorry you like watching crappy cartoons with bad writing, some day you will understand.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I'm sorry you like watching crappy cartoons with bad writing, some day you will understand.
You don't even know what the hell i was talking about and notice how i said "read".;)
Your reading and comprehending skills are made of fail greater than tripping in brawl,
your points were *****, just stfu before you keep messing yourself.

Sorry i don't like to speak with trolls especially the ones that aren't funny and generalize things so byes, strange little person. :psycho:

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
I love how the internet can make potentially nice conversations all angry and aggressive. Thank you, unnecessary troll who attacks quirky Japanese cartoons.

TRUXOFF

Smash Cadet
You don't even know what the hell i was talking about and notice how i said "read".;)
Your reading and comprehending skills are made of fail greater than tripping in brawl,
your points were *****, just stfu before you keep messing yourself.

Sorry i don't like to speak with trolls especially the ones that aren't funny and generalize things so byes, strange little person. :psycho:
Your reading and COMPREHENSION skills are non-existent.

I love how the internet can make potentially nice conversations all angry and aggressive. Thank you, unnecessary troll who attacks quirky Japanese cartoons.
I'm no troll, I'm a real boy!

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
main characters always eat enough food to feed a 3rd world country in one meal
and they never gain any weight for some reason

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman

Nope, that ain't Hunter x Hunter. I GUESS HE'S JUST MAKING UP BULL LULZ

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
main characters always eat enough food to feed a 3rd world country in one meal
and they never gain any weight for some reason
Hahaha. I love how that happened in Samurai Champloo, and the girl who did it wasn't recognized because she became really fat temporarily.

Btw, saying you don't like to speak to trolls when YOU ARE RESPONDING TO ONE kind of defeats your own argument :)

Marie_54

Smash Ace
^ I don't like to and i don't is not the same thing. :D and atleast I did stfu after that...

If people didn't do what they don't like few people would work...:laugh:

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Yeah, but obviously not responding to a troll is a lot easier than not working aka not having money for things like food.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't watch much shounen [sp?] anymore so this doesn't apply to the anime I watch. The last action packed anime I watched was Hellsing and it doesn't match the OPs post. I think the OP and TRUX should watch more diverse anime rather than just watching whatever shows on cartoon network.

Izak29

Smash Rookie
I personally don't enjoy the flashy backgrounds that animes tend to use during action sequences. You know the kind, where various streaks of black or white go by with a colored back drop. Hence, Samurai Champloo had extra awesomeness for breaking the trend.

M.K

Level 55
I like Naruto, more because it is better than most of the tween shows out there that suck the general teen population in.
Does anyone else just....start watching some Anime and get into it? It was like...1:30 A.M. and I started watching this one Anime on Adult Swim where this guy in a robot was playing chess and he related it back to the war in which he was guiding these "rebels" to fight an army. It was pretty badass! (Does anyone have a name for this one?)

Sworddancer9034

Smash Apprentice
I like Naruto, more because it is better than most of the tween shows out there that suck the general teen population in.
Does anyone else just....start watching some Anime and get into it? It was like...1:30 A.M. and I started watching this one Anime on Adult Swim where this guy in a robot was playing chess and he related it back to the war in which he was guiding these "rebels" to fight an army. It was pretty badass! (Does anyone have a name for this one?)
Code Geass is what you are thinking of I believe.

Also, another anime sterotype is that, like, every anime has to have a pink haired character in it.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
EMO CLOWNS WITH MANY FANGIRLS!-

I have no idea what it says there...

Joking! except the fangirl part... This thread needs more lol. :)

I should re-size... oww well that'd take too much time...

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Hahaha. Marie, horrors came to mind with each picture you posted(except the top one. I don't know that one). Fangirls ruin everything =(

Marie_54

Smash Ace
Hahaha. Marie, horrors came to mind with each picture you posted(except the top one. I don't know that one). Fangirls ruin everything =(
I hope you can sleep tonight...:laugh:

The first one is from Bleach. Tidbit of info not too big of a spoil->
The girl is supposed to hate him and even slapped him in one episode

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice

You missed out the fact that they devote a series to one fight before the main character finds a solution. This usually happens when they're on one knee on the floor and completely owned by a guy with long hair and talks like a ****.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
You missed out the fact that they devote a series to one fight before the main character finds a solution. This usually happens when they're on one knee on the floor and completely owned by a guy with long hair and talks like a ****.
Oo, oo. Also, for one punch to occur, you need to wait five minutes in between with lots if shots of the characters worn out(and possibly thinking).

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
Oo, oo. Also, for one punch to occur, you need to wait five minutes in between with lots if shots of the characters worn out(and possibly thinking).
Yes, yes. Deep breaths, scratches, three days of trash talking AND flashbacks.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Y'all forgetting the EPIC eyeball/grunting battles that come the episode before.

But to be fair, you don't get as much of that in non-shounen anime.

XZalla

Smash Journeyman
A protagonist who trains for a short amount of time and beats someone that's been really strong for a very long time.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Dear lord, the flashbacks.

My friend had all the Naruto's d/led up to whatever point they were at before the show came out on Cartoon Network. Thank god, because I was able to fast forward through the agonizing flashbacks that ALWAYS HAPPENED. I love Naruto. It's a guilty pleasure, but even I couldn't stand the flashbacks.

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
Dear lord, the flashbacks.

My friend had all the Naruto's d/led up to whatever point they were at before the show came out on Cartoon Network. Thank god, because I was able to fast forward through the agonizing flashbacks that ALWAYS HAPPENED. I love Naruto. It's a guilty pleasure, but even I couldn't stand the flashbacks.
Amen. It's like a Family Guy episode, but ****ing boring and consumes several hundred hours of your life.

Full Metal Alchemist is the only anime I've finished. Got past 100 on both Naruto and Bleach but I didn't make it. Plus there were ****ing vampires on Bleach which was a bit silly.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I only usually watch animes that have an ending. The quality is usually higher. 26 episodes is a nice run. Heh, I don't watch Naruto anymore. I only read the manga online.

Top Bottom