• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime North May 25-27 2007 Toronto, ON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Chef Hyrule

Smash Rookie
I'll be heading the Anime North Smash Bros. Melee tournament that Encubed ran last year.
Here’s last year’s thread. Anime North is running May 25-27. Sign up will be mostly Friday evening, a few spots left for Saturday morning and the tournament running Saturday 11:00am – 5:00pm like last year.

Sorry for the short notice, I delayed announcing it here because I wanted to confirm I could get the staff, systems and other equipment needed. We’ve got most of the same people who helped last year, including myself. Anime North gaming this year didn't have anyone in charge until a month ago, so I've only been able to start organizing this 2 weeks ago.

The disclaimer from last year is still the same, keep in mind this is mostly an anime convention, so you'll get the usual anime fans all over the place. Although gaming gets bigger every year, we’re in our own hotel this year so our area will mostly only have gaming fans. Check Anime North’s website for more info on the convention. The only entry fee to the tourney will be the entry fee to the whole convention (Saturday one-day entry fee is $35, weekend admission (Fri-Sun is $50). Prizes will be provided by the con as well, but will likely pale in comparison to a cash prize you'd have at other big tournaments. Please keep in mind that this tourney is meant for both casual players and serious players alike.

Last year some people who only came for Saturday had trouble getting from the Convention registration to the SSBM tournament sign up in time, but I can't do much about this since we have time constraints. This is the biggest video game tournament of the convention, but we have to keep in mind that some players are also here for other parts of the convention.

Last year we planned on having 64 entries, but after getting over a hundred people at the first sign up session, we realized we had to double it to 128 and modified the rules to still finish on time. We still had about 30 people in the overflow line hoping for people to not show up and take their place. I'm organizing the tournament to hold 128 people, but since gaming is in it's own hotel and this year it's short planning, I don't think it will be quite as big as last year, but I could easily be wrong.

Aside from the tournament, the video game area turned into a 31 hour Smash Bros. marathon (around Friday 4:00pm-11:00pm, Saturday 10:00am until Sunday 10am) with attendance between 60-110 during the day and 20-100 during all-night gaming. The tournament had around 200 people including participants and spectators. Most of the time we had 2-4 TVs playing SSMB constantly (5 for the tournament). There were of course other games, but it was clear what dominated.

Here are the tentative rules, it’s mostly the same as last year except instead of a seeding round I’ll be taking people’s skill ranking and using that for seeding.:

Time: Saturday May 26th 11am - 5pm
Place: Anime North 2007, Toronto ON, check website for details, probably in the Renaissance hotel.
Players 1-50: Friday May 25 at 5pm
Players 51 - 80: Friday Friday May 25 at 9pm
Players 81-128: Saturday Friday May 26 10:00am

General Tourney Rules and Regulations

1. The maximum number of players in this tournament will be 128. Pre-registration will start on Friday at 5pm where up to 50 players can sign up. A second Friday sign up session will be at 10pm when another 30 may sign up. The remaining spots will be given to people who arrive Saturday morning at 10:00am.
2. If a player who pre-registered for the tourney is not present 15 minutes before the start of the event, his spot will be given up to someone who is present. This will be determined by a role call at the beginning of the event.
3. During the tournament sign up, all players will be given an ID number tag. This number is used to form brackets and keep track of how the tournament is going, so please remember it and keep the tag with you.
4. You may not give your ID number tag to any other player to use.
5. During the tournament sign up, all players will submit a rating of their skill level; this skill level will be used for seeding the tournament brackets.
6. If a player doesn't show up on time for their match, it goes down as a forfeit.
7. In the case of a Gamecube/television malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
8. A staff member will record each game's results. Please confirm the winner of each match with the staff member overseeing that match.
9. All decisions made by tournament officials are final.
10. Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion.
11. Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing. Breaking this rule will result in a warning. A second violation will result in ejection of the spectator and depending on the circumstances, forfeit of the game.
12. Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the rankings/brackets will result in ejection of all parties involved from the tournament.
13. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game and ejection from the tournament.

Controllers

1. You are advised to bring your own controller. Otherwise, first-party Nintendo controllers will be available, but please don't complain if you find their quality unsatisfactory.
2. Controller modifications of ANY kind except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different coloured plastic) are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

General Game Rules

1. Items will be turned off.
2. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
3. The stage for the first match of each round is always selected by random.
4. Random select stages limited to: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
5. Stages banned: Fourside, Great Bay, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom and Yoshi's Island 64
6. After the first match of each round, stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
7. No stage may be used twice in a single match, unless a Random stage is chosen.
8. After each game of a match, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
9. For the first game of a match, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means each player must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.

Tourney Structure

1. During the tournament sign up, all players will submit a rating of their skill level; this skill level will be used for seeding the tournament brackets.
2. Matches will be 1 on 1
3. The tournament will use single elimination brackets
4. Matches until Top 4: Best 2 games of 3, 2 stock 4 minutes.
5. Semi-Final Matches: Best 2 games of 3, 3 stock 7 minutes.
6. Final Match: Best 3 games of 5, 3 stock no time limit.

Other Rules & Special Issues

1. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

If anyone has any suggestions, especially from people who were there last year I'm more than willing to consider them. Although please keep in mind I do have time restrictions and this is for both casual and serious players.

edit: added city to the title

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, most of the people where kinda not into that Anime Scene and a little disappointed last year and will probably not come, but there are some people I know that are going to for the Anime scene, and will probably participate in the Smash Tournament (myself Included).

The rules seem pretty solid, but I hope the seeding gets done this year.

Some of the better players from SWF played the FFA seeding match and won, however they still ended up playing eachother somehow (usually not supposed to happen D:), and were kinda disappointed about that because it was kinda unfair on being knocked out, and these other worse people advancing to the finals.

If you need any help let me know, if you are using any tournament directing programs, they are a great help. I have the registered version Tourney Master 2 which I feel is pretty good, so yeah.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
w0000t I came out to like Top 16 :000 I was teh n00b.

OMG OMG OMG

alklashladgk;hlghilkehiaelkhglkhaskhlahklgHYPEalgaglhalhkdghkladhkglhakldhilaghkladlkhgildgiagiyhdglahklgDOWNSMASH

I already set up guys to come for this tournament :0.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Yessirs.
It is what it is.

LOL What a laughable tourny, high entry cost, low payout, rediculous rules.
I mean.. who's idea was it to use abnormal stock and a horrible seeding system?
HAHAHAHA.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I'm going to AN this year, so I might sign up, however I'm going with friends so I don't want to spend the whole day there.

Iron Chef Hyrule

Smash Rookie
It's good to see some people here will show up. Anime North isn't worth coming to only for this tournament or if you don't like anime or other gaming. This thread is more for people already planning on going to Anime North to know there's the tournament.

For tournament software, I'll be using tio which is going to help a huge amount, mainly with seeding.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
It's good to see some people here will show up. Anime North isn't worth coming to only for this tournament or if you don't like anime or other gaming. This thread is more for people already planning on going to Anime North to know there's the tournament.

For tournament software, I'll be using tio which is going to help a huge amount, mainly with seeding.
Oh yahh, I happen to know a bit of my anime, just don't have the time to watch like I used to. But would I be able to help out with the tournament and pparticipate? Also I might know people that would help. haha I'm bringing like 4-5 guys to come.

JeffMan

Smash Apprentice
Do we really HAVE to buy an AN ticket just to get in to the SSBM tournament? I'm just interested in the tournament... and trying to get a ticket last year was complete chaos because the 5-mile-long lineup was an hour behind in starting so I couldn't even get a ticket. And now that the price is so much more (I remember them being $20 last year)... bleh. :( I'd really like to participate in this, but I can't justify spending $35 on a ticket for a tournament that I probably won't even get a spot in if the lineup is as big as last year.

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
that 2 stock and 3 stock single elimination worries me. But i'll go there for hte convention, i've never been. I'll have myself a gay old time chum. A gay old time.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Sounds cool. I like anime, though I don't have much time to watch much of it or read manga. Never been to Anime North, any anime convention, or a Smash tournament, but I'm looking forward to making this my first.

Maybe...

Btw, I'll probably get my *** whooped, seeing as how I've rarely ever played a serious Smasher.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Okay, I was at Anime North last year and the people had A LOT of smash matches. Maybe I could hold a tournament during the All-Night gaming with a pot, if I get TVs. beh it's worth a shot and I know people want moneyz involved.

Iron Chef Hyrule

Smash Rookie
Sorry for forgetting about my own thread.
Full time work + part time extra university courses + house + wedding planning + Anime North planning + level 19 procrastination = little time.

Since the tournament is part of Anime North, and they're supplying the venue (a hotel banquet hall!), TVs, one of the cubes and other equipment people have to be paid con attendees. This goes for any of the Anime North activities including free gaming, we have to check for con badges.

Any volunteers who are helping with the tournament can definitely still be in the tournament. Anyone who wants to be a volunteer should check the Anime North website and message board on how to be a volunteer.
I'm Omnilink on that message board, and everywhere else on the Internet since 1998. Some people on this board took the names omnilink and omni link but never posted. I lurked here and never posted before now because I could never have my proper user name.

I have to wait until a meeting on the April 22nd before I can confirm if I can schedule 4 or 5 TVs and systems for this. For now I have to use a conservative estimate of how many matches I have time for, which is the reason for the 2 out of 3, 2 stock 3 minute elimination matches. Saturday afternoon is when the best stuff of the convention takes place, so I can't have it run too long for that reason as well. This is already the longest running single event of the convention.

TyrantWolf, I can guess the people in charge of the convention will be against running a tournament with a pot. The convention is full of kids and they'll probably see that as some sort of gambling, even at night. All it takes is one parent complaining that is it, then all of gaming will get shut down, or the entire convention.

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
SEED!!!!! YOU'RE ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

*squeals*

I thought you like exploded after your smashfest or quit smash or died!!!

BUT YOU'RE ALIVE!!!!! YAY!!!!!!
haha, i Just haven't been onb the obards much ;). But I'm still alive and doing well-- even better in fact, I'll make it to the quarter's at least in te next big tourney, and this one, I'm looking to win.

Dragon_hawk, which guy are you? I'm just waiting till I have some free time, I barely have taht these days with work and all. Especially work.

Since when were tournaments for cash prizes seen as gambling? Unless your spekaing of the MM's. We'll just keep that stuff under wraps, they were ableto keep it underwraps in a church. =P

Iron Chef Hyrule

Smash Rookie
Since when were tournaments for cash prizes seen as gambling? Unless your spekaing of the MM's. We'll just keep that stuff under wraps, they were ableto keep it underwraps in a church. =P
It's a problem for Anime North since this tournament is just an event of the convention, so everything should be available for everyone who already paid for a convention pass.
That's why I said the prizes won't compare to a cash prize for a tournament that took entry fees. This is just meant to be a really big tournament with a bunch of other games and everything else the convention has to offer at the same time.

I had to give in the gaming schedule to the convention on the weekend and I've confirmed at least 4 TVs and should be getting at least 2 projectors.

Random Nobody

Smash Rookie
For the sake of the tournament, please don't change the rules half an hour before the tournament begins like last year. Suddenly finding out that the tournament is single elim instead of double or that all matches are random select instead of being able to counter pick really sucked last year.

The FFA matches for seeding sucked as well. In all tournaments where I've participated, I've never found them to be any better than a random seeding and it still took a hell of a long time last year getting through those matches.

Being the first person eliminated not by DQ also sucked.

I'll possibly participate, but I haven't really played the game in a long time, and the fact that it's held in a separate hotel is a bit of a disincentive.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I'm the Kirby guy. I'll probably be the only guy playing a serious Kirby at this. :lick:
i sees u hav no fiath in ics.

XD

I hate all this hate on that FFA part. I think it was great, they only used it so that they'd figure out who faced who by small seedings. Like, it's not like you could get eliminated from it. It also made their jobs a lot easier. But the Double elim part did suck but I wasn't complaining.

Random Nobody

Smash Rookie
I hate all this hate on that FFA part. I think it was great, they only used it so that they'd figure out who faced who by small seedings. Like, it's not like you could get eliminated from it. It also made their jobs a lot easier. But the Double elim part did suck but I wasn't complaining.
It's really more that, sure, it was fun, but if you wanted to play 4 man FFA, basically all the Cubes were being used for that outside of tournament time anyways, so there was plenty of time to play 4 player FFA.

As for being used for seeding, it didn't seem to work out so well and it took a lot of time. I don't think the seeding would have been any worse if they had just randomly filled the bracket and saved the time of running those 32 matches. Determining who fought in what matches was purely based on when you signed up as well, so if you and your friends signed up as players 1-4, guess what, you played your friends first match and if you and your friends are a really good crew, it still meant that good players received 3 and 4 rankings and did not eliminate the possibility of playing them again first elimination match.

Steffa

Smash Rookie
the fact that it's held in a separate hotel is a bit of a disincentive.
Being in a separate hotel wasn't really our choice. We are trying to make the best of it though.

Even if you haven't played in a while you should still come out.

We are trying some different methods for this year to make everything more organized, we'll see how it goes. Some things are just out of our control. I guess that is what happens when you aren't in charge enough to make decisions but are in charge enough to be responsible, haha.

G U R U

Smash Lord
I won't be arriving until Sat morning so hopefully its not as crowded and badly organized as last time. Cus I saw the crowd of people and the seeding matches and I was just loling and was glad I came for anime and not for the SSBM tourney.

But I do think you should AT LEAST make the finals regular 4 stock best out of 5. It would be better. Also I'm staying at the renisance(sp?) so I'll probably be playing at the tvs all night if anyone wants to play (possibly for money). I'll be wearing a brown Megaman shirt.

Xelyst

-_-
Man, I really wish I could come to this =(

I'm seriously missing out on a good weekend but I dont have a descent amount of doh to come =/ ...

Random Nobody

Smash Rookie
Being in a separate hotel wasn't really our choice. We are trying to make the best of it though.

Even if you haven't played in a while you should still come out.

We are trying some different methods for this year to make everything more organized, we'll see how it goes. Some things are just out of our control. I guess that is what happens when you aren't in charge enough to make decisions but are in charge enough to be responsible, haha.
In all fairness to the con, I will mainly be going for the anime. I also haven't decided whether I'll be there for the entire con, or just Saturday (if only Saturday, the odds of me going for gaming is significantly reduced). Now, if AN could get around to actually releasing a full schedule, then I could more easily schedule my time.

I understand that location probably wasn't your choice, but it does mean walking from where most of the anime stuff is happening to where the gaming is happening, and it seems like quite a bit further than going across the street from the Doubletree to the TCC. I'm not blaming the organizers or anything like that, but I'd rather be close to where most of the main anime-related events are happening.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
hype hype hype!

Only a handful days left before everyone gets butt ****'d :000.

Except Andy, Jamal would ruin me if I tried. Probably >_>.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
Yayyyyyyy Anime North was good...
I SHOULD be entering, considering the fact that I make it there on time, since coming from Guelph isn't the fastest thing there is...
What annoyed me last year was alll of the over crowded noobs there were last year.. not to be offensive, but it's hard to have a competitive time with those who are serious...
I also remember some really serious players losing to noobs by accident and having no chance to make it back.. since it was a one round thingg...
Oh well, I can't complain since it's an open tourney, but watch out for me =D

Lano, I'm pretty sure it was you I played at the Clash of the Sauga free plays?
I was the Fox that was holding its own before I fell into a stupid rest >____<... and got owned by your samus.. but then countered and won with Marth lool... I tiiiiiiink it was you =D sry if I'm wrong XD

Anyways, see you all at AN this Sat.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lano, I'm pretty sure it was you I played at the Clash of the Sauga free plays?
I was the Fox that was holding its own before I fell into a stupid rest >____<... and got owned by your samus.. but then countered and won with Marth lool... I tiiiiiiink it was you =D sry if I'm wrong XD

Anyways, see you all at AN this Sat.
lol, I can't remember that far, TyrantWolf hosted the tournament

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I'm coming to AN, but I probably wont go to the tournament.

I'll just cheer TyrantWolf and Lanowen on.

C 3

Smash Ace
Sounds interesting........ may not be the best tourny, but hey, it's a chance to play against other ppl. Count C 3 in.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
I went to the tournament last year and made it past the prelims, but ended up dropping out because I unfortunately had other places to be. I likely won't enter the tournament again, but boy, am I ever looking forward to the free play rooms. It's been 5 months since I last played Smash so hopefully I won't get my *** kicked too horribly. Still looking forward to seeing you guys though.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom