• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animal Trio: Rick & Kine & Coo for DLC

LYD

Smash Rookie
Rick & Kine & Coo
Who are they?
Rick & Kine & Coo, also called the Animal Trio, are three allies that help Kirby in his journeys. They first appeared in Kirby’s Dream Land 2, but also appeared in Kirby’s Dream Land 3 alongside other animal friends and were recently added to Kirby Star Allies as DLC Dream Friends. They make camoes in a plethora of other Kirby games though.

Why should they be added?
Kirby’s representation in the Smash series is honestly quite lackluster, and while most (myself included) would prefer to see Bandana Dee before the trio, they’re still very deserving of a spot as arguably one of the most important Kirby characters. Here’s their current list of supporters, if you’d like to join please reply to this thread saying you’d like to be added!
  1. LYD LYD
  2. Syprone Syprone
  3. Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma
  4. Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr
  5. KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
  6. Flyboy Flyboy

How would they play?
They could play in a similar fashion to Pokémon Trainer. Three characters in one with moves that allow them to switch mid-battle. I’m working on a moveset for them, but it’s not ready yet, so stay tuned!
work in progress...

So this is the thread for the Animal Trio. Feel free to leave any ideas below and discuss about these three and their chances :)

Last edited:

Syprone

Smash Cadet
I am not opposed to any new Kirby characters. I will support them.
Kine’s neutral special can be Kirby’s spark ability with Kine underwater from Dreamland 3.

I forgot to mention that I would like to be added to the supporter list.

Last edited:

Syprone

Smash Cadet
A universal down special can be walking into a door to change characters while having a slow wind box go out in a circle with it colored black to look like a loading screen from Kirby games. The door is a reference to where you can fin different partners in the games.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Hey, who doesn't want more Kirby characters? Count me in the supporters list!

They could probably function the way they do in Star Allies but it's possible they could work Pokemon Trainer style.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I suport, more Shimomura content is always cool!

Making a moveset for them can be tricky though...
I think it's possible but very hard. Kine should be used for grabs: he eats the opponent and:
up throw: bounces it on a parasol, then throws it with a final hit by closing and re-opening the parasol
side throw: spits the opponent out like a cannon
down throw: spits the opponent on the ground doing a small jump, then hits with a stone attack

Rick should be the main of the trio anyway, and I would spawn the Dream Land 3 animals in some moves (such as, Rick should be able to play golf with Pitch as the ball for a special; or, during the rickroll move, Nago walks on stone Rick).

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I suport, more Shimomura content is always cool!

Making a moveset for them can be tricky though...
I think it's possible but very hard. Kine should be used for grabs: he eats the opponent and:
up throw: bounces it on a parasol, then throws it with a final hit by closing and re-opening the parasol
side throw: spits the opponent out like a cannon
down throw: spits the opponent on the ground doing a small jump, then hits with a stone attack

Rick should be the main of the trio anyway, and I would spawn the Dream Land 3 animals in some moves (such as, Rick should be able to play golf with Pitch as the ball for a special; or, during the rickroll move, Nago walks on stone Rick).
Neutral B: Rick spits fire
Side B: RICK ROLL, GET IT?
Down B: A counter move involving Kine. That was my only idea, I know, it's lame. I bet there are more creative options.
Up B: Coo flies upwards. Has a multi hit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While I'm not expecting them this time, I support! Though it does help that they're playable again in Star Allies (unlike the KDL3 friends, who are exclusive to the Broom ability).

In terms of switching in and out, where would the other two friends end up, in the background?

Oh, and having the bag they come in as the entrance is a must.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
While I'm not expecting them this time, I support! Though it does help that they're playable again in Star Allies (unlike the KDL3 friends, who are exclusive to the Broom ability).

In terms of switching in and out, where would the other two friends end up, in the background?

Oh, and having the bag they come in as the entrance is a must.
I'm guessing the bag works. Or maybe they'll just appear and disappear like the mage sisters in Star Allies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
KDL2 is one of my favorite Kirby games and they're also some of my favorite Dream Friends in Star Allies. I absolutely support!

Syprone

Smash Cadet
I think that neutral special or side special should be Kine’s spark attack in Dreamland 3.
So any thoughts on their Final Smash? I'm blanking.
I think something like PKMN Trainer’s triple finish, a a normal “great ether” from Coo, or mabey putting a bubble of water around Kine so he can move extremely fast and is very powerful, but that lay one seems like a probable no considering the game’s policy of no controllable final smashes (Giga Bowser, Wario Man, Yoshi, etc.).

LYD

Smash Rookie
Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma when i said à la pkmn trainer in the op it was more in the sense of three characters in one. and i actually had a very similar idea to yours. my main idea is that side special would be the rock rick roll, up special coo’s umbrella thing, and down special i also thought of a counter with koo. these would be the moves that let them switch and i also think they could switch just like you said about the mage sisters. but my idea for the neutral special would be for it to vary from animal to animal. rick would spit fire, coo would release some feathers like in star allies and kine could have that ice breath attack.

i also think friend train would be a hilariously awesome final smash. i hadn’t actually thought of a final smash for my moveset so i’ll steal that idea hahah.

i just don’t really know how i could work a grab into their moveset honestly. my idea would be to probably them making the enemy ride them and that would act as the grab, almost like donkey kong’s karry kong? still not sure though.

anyway i’m happy to see all this support for rick & kine & coo, thanks for starting discussion on the thread and being supportive :] i’ll add everyone to the op in a minute!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So any thoughts on their Final Smash? I'm blanking.
I have a cool idea for that:
The move would be called: Super Star Stacker!
As you start the Final Smash, Gryll appears and does a magic trick; the animals temporarily disappear from the stage, and a rain of star blocks starts to fall from the sky. Occasionally, Rick, Coo and Kine blocks will fall as well, and they do way more damage than the regular star blocks.

Anyway, my idea for a moveset does not involve switching the characters like Pokèmon Trainer or the Three Mage Sisters, I prefer them to switch automatically depending on the moves.

My idea for the specials:

-B neutral: Rick spits fire (similar to Bowser and Charizard)
-Side B: Rick Roll (stone Rick, with Nago walking on the rock instead of Kirby/Gooey) (also never gonna give you up)
-Down B: Pitch Golf from KDL3's Pitch+Parasol (Rick plays instead of Kirby); The direct hit does more damage and goes through the opponents: it can bounce a couple of times before disappearing; hits after the bounces still deal damage, but way less than the direct hit, and with minimal knockback.
-Up B: Coo grabs Rick and does the parasol tornado thing while moving up. After the animation is finished, you can press the attack button to launch feathers while you are slowly gliding to land (you can't freefall unless someone hits you); this is similar to how Bowser Jr can attack with the hammer after his B+up.

Coo would also grab Rick during the multiple jumps

By the way, Rick, Coo and Kine are all on the stage at the same time: only Rick is solid and playable, the other animals follow Rick like the Pikmins follow Olimar: they can be hit but they don't have knockback and a fraction of the damage they get is added to Rick's damage. Pitch, Nago and Chuchu only appear during some specific moves, they usually aren't visible (Chuchu+Cutter is used for the air neutral attack).
Kine is used for grabs and swimming, Coo is used for aerial movements, Rick is the default animal.

The fact that the other animals can be hit and only a fraction of the damage is added to you, means that you can use them as a barrier against some projectiles (mostly the energy-based ones); it's less useful than Link's shield that blocks projectiles completely, though they are way bigger so it's easier to be covered by them. On the other hand, it's easier to get damage because of them, since as you move, you always have a trail of animals following you with a lag, so you can dodge a hit but the other animals still get it.

anyway i’m happy to see all this support for rick & kine & coo, thanks for starting discussion on the thread and being supportive :] i’ll add everyone to the op in a minute!
I support more representation of the Dark Matter trilogy in Smash, offcourse.
Dark Matter Blade, Gooey, the animals, and obviously Adeleine.
Modern Kirby needs representation too, but I think that we can't forget about Shinichi Shimomura's games, they are part of the classics.
The animals are the most iconic characters of the Dark Matter trilogy, they were very important at the time; the only thing that works against them is the fact that they are hard to make a solid moveset from, they would be a lot easier to implement as assist trophies (kinda like what they did in Kirby Fighters).
But I'm not opposed to them as playable if the developers manage to build a cool moveset for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom