• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animal Crossing's Friendly Merchant: The Tom Nook Thread [CHANCES UP BY 100%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Personally I think a stage was just right for Animal Crossing. Although I love the image of Tom Nook beating the living **** out of everyone with his massive bags of bells :troll:.

His Final Smash would be called "Crippling Debt".

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I've seen that movesets for Tom Nook and the AC Villager tend to be quite similar. (Notably the fishing rod for a grab.)

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Veggi, that OP was fantastic. My favourite I've seen on smashboards, seriously. Hilarious, and a great moveset.
Funnily enough I'd considered him a non-runner til about two days ago, when I actually though about how he could work, and strangely the moveset i imagined is literally almost exactly like yours. Not just the general actions, but the moves you applied them to. It's weirding me out. Didn't think of that up-special though, that was genius.
Even the Timmy and Tommy final smash - though I had two other FS ideas as well:

Impossible mortgage! - Everyone's percent slowly, slowly climbs. Doesn't stop til they die.
Price drop! - Like how the OP'd integrated the furniture into the moveset. Tom throws loads of leafs/makes them appear in the air. They proceed to turn into furniture and drop. Fairly dodgeable, but furniture has pretty heavy knockback. Basically, it rains furniture. cuz, price drop, geddit?

I think a stage isn't near enough rep for animal crossing, it's sold almost as much as metroid as a series, and - certainly where I'm from - is much more generally well known than possibly everyone bar the big 3.

capitanfalcon

Smash Rookie
Tom Nook's only shot is if:
a) He really did say he used to be in a fight club in Wild World.
I'm currently trying to verify this by doing a text dump of Animal Crossing: Wild World. Progress is going slowly because I know nothing about NDS game hacking, but I have an idea of what I have to do.

I can say this: it does not appear that in-game, Nook himself mentions he was in a fight club. You can verify this by looking at Liqeufy's Episode FAQ, which features "special" events in-game. Nook mostly talks about his past with Sable and leaving for the big city.

This does not mean the fabled "fight club" text is fake. I have seen many references to it, and even saw some people argue over whether or not he was serious while mentioning it. There are other possibilities: the text could be something he says that is not mentioned in an episode or the text is mentioned by someone else in relation to Nook but not said by Nook himself. Hopefully I'll be able to verify this with the text dump. Not that it changes anything for Nook, of course, but we've been arguing about this "fight club" for so long that I really want to settle the matter of when and where he said it and in what context.

b) Sakurai still doesn't see the Village Boy fitting, but is fine with Nook for what is mentioned in "a)" and because he's seen as a questionable character in-game with a checkered past.
c) Sakurai doesn't decide to go with the rage-filled Mr. Resetti instead.
The customizable nature of the Villager (or Animal Crosser; I'm not sure which is the preferred name) seems to be a possible issue. For example, why pick the Village Boy as opposed to the girl? Surely Animal Crossing is popular among women as well as men? Which facial features will you use? Which clothes? If the Villager is picked, the horned hat seems to be an obvious choice (being easily recognizable). I'm not sure if that hat is gender exclusive, though, which goes back to the question of "Village Boy or Village Girl?"

This, of course, is just one issue I have with the Villager. I personally believe that while the Villager could definitely be a good choice, I would prefer Tom Nook partly because he is a character who has a personality (as opposed to the mute villager) and he is an icon for the series (the Bell icon is associated with him, partially because it's a currency and he's viewed as a money grubber and partially because he just uses it as a symbol everywhere). He'd be the Pikachu to the Villager's PKMN Trainer, let's say.

I don't have high hopes for any of the assist trophies becoming playable characters (the Little Mac supporters are gonna hate me for it). Perhaps because I see them as being analogous to Pokeballs and only one Pokeball Pokemon has become playable (Charizard). Mr. Resetti doesn't feel as "iconic" for Animal Crossing as either the Villager or Tom Nook would be.

And that's not even considering Sakurai simply not going with an AC character at all.
An unfortunately likely predicament. Nothing we can do about it except continue to fantasize.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai used male pronouns when referring to a Villager in Famitsu. That is why it would be "Village Boy" (the name of the file of the Animal Crossing Boy trophy).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's easy to implement both the male and female villager. They're as different as Classic and WarioWare Wario.

capitanfalcon

Smash Rookie
Sakurai used male pronouns when referring to a Villager in Famitsu. That is why it would be "Village Boy" (the name of the file of the Animal Crossing Boy trophy).
Eh, I guess it makes sense since if he's played AC most likely he'll have chosen a male character. My line of thought was as follows: people have been wanting female characters and the Animal Crosser would be a great way to do that without scraping the bottom of the barrel and feeling like they're pandering. Even an alt a la Nana would still relegate what could have been a good female character to being a costume. The only series whose protagonist is a female currently represented in Smash is Metroid with Samus. Animal Crossing could be the second series to do that instead of digging for supporting female characters. Honestly, if male Villager were added, I wouldn't complain and I'd probably use him a lot, but I would wonder why pick him when you could kill two birds with one stone (the people who want the ladies and the people who want Animal Crossing).

To add some questions to this topic: people have been saying that Nook and the Villager would likely have similar movesets. Do you agree with this proposition or do you think they'd be more different than expected?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Nook would probably have a moveset similar to the Villager's. That being said, he'd obviously use the tools he sells to the Villager. This is also considering how limited AC is when it comes to potential combat abilities.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The idea of Nook or a villager as a playable character has grown on me. I wouldn't mind seeing it. As long as Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo and Shulk get in past them :troll:

D

Deleted member

Pretty much, I would agree that a Villager and Nook would likely have a similar moveset concept.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Mr. Resetti>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nook/Villager
Resetti is a potential serial killer and he has a crap ton of anger issues.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I like to keep him as an Assist Trophy, I like him talking to me for a long period of time.
Tom Nook is the icon of Animal Crossing, but then again, I find it appealing if Resetti was playable, I wanna see his tiny little feet.

D

Deleted member

As discussed in the Main Roster thread before it got shut down, we realized that Nook is not "the" icon/mascot/whatever of the series.
There really IS none.
Nook is just highly recognized, but so is Resetti, K.K. Slider, Rover, Rosie, Kapp'n, Tortimer, etc.

D

Deleted member

It might be something like "New Smashville". :troll:
And if we get a Villager, their moniker would be "Mayor of Smashville" due to New Leaf. :awesome:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm guessing that the new AC stage will be called "Smashville: New Leaf" :troll:

capitanfalcon

Smash Rookie
As discussed in the Main Roster thread before it got shut down, we realized that Nook is not "the" icon/mascot/whatever of the series.
There really IS none.
Nook is just highly recognized, but so is Resetti, K.K. Slider, Rover, Rosie, Kapp'n, Tortimer, etc.
I agree with you that there is no one icon, but rather a group of highly recognizable characters. I would say that Nook, K.K. Slider, and Resetti are the most recognizable to those who do not play Animal Crossing. Nook has somehow amassed a reputation for being a loan shark, mafiosi, and/or a money launderer (and this is the impression plenty of people have of him), K.K. Slider is known to for Totaka's song, and Resetti is a humorous character whose spiel is pretty well-known. Other than those three, I doubt the average non-AC player would know who Rosie, Tortimer, Kapp'n, etc. are. That doesn't mean it's impossible for them to know them; my mom knows Jigglypuff, Poliwhirl, and Bellosom, but the Pokemon most people are most likely to be acquainted with is Pikachu (maybe Meowth as well due to his prominence in the anime).

As such, I would say that those three plus the villager are really the only viable choices for an Animal Crossing Character. Resetti has the AT slot occupied while K.K. Slider has his Saturday night show. I wouldn't count them "out," but I would say they're less likely than Nook and the Villager. Between those two, it's really a toss-up depending on what Sakurai and his team think. I honestly don't think there's really any evidence pointing in any direction right now. The only hope we have is that Sakurai appeared to renege on his statement that AC characters can't fight and/or the series is too peaceful. There are also supposed comments from the co-creater of the AC series (though much like Nook's supposed fight club, I have yet to find a reliable source for this) which could hold back any AC character even if Sakurai were to have changed his mind.

Ultimately, this is a guessing game. The situation has changed a bit since Brawl; Animal Crossing is a huge franchise that even people who aren't gamers enjoy playing. We know Sakurai wants to encourage beginners and advanced players to play together. What better way than a character from a familiar series? Of course, you could argue Mario takes that role, but it's one thing to play as the mascot of a series you don't really interact with often and another thing to play as a character you've "talked" to, interacted with, grown plants with, etc. Animal Crossing's laid back and non-combative nature, which proved to be its death knell during Brawl, can actually be reinterpreted to provide a sort of friendly beginner character to those who've never played the Smash series before. Put a bit of the cartooniness back in Smash, let's say.

Once again, pure speculation! I have no evidence to back these ideas up.

memememe

Smash Apprentice
Trailer tomorrow:

"NEWCOMER: AN ENTIRE ANIMAL CROSSING VILLAGE"

(cue simultaneous jaw dropping)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
IMPORTANT INFO!
Tom Nook seemed to be interested in the smash invitation during the new trailer.

Does this mean anything? maybe. maybe not.
it's possible to get 2 animal crossing reps. we got two fire emblem reps in melee, why not 2 AC reps now?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
IMPORTANT INFO!
Tom Nook seemed to be interested in the smash invitation during the new trailer.

Does this mean anything? maybe. maybe not.
it's possible to get 2 animal crossing reps. we got two fire emblem reps in melee, why not 2 AC reps now?

Or maybe he just saw the villager littering on the ground and he is planning to make him pay for it when he comes back. :troll:

Who knows I guess...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
IMPORTANT INFO!
He's just jealous that he wasn't invited along with the Villager. :troll:

On a serious note, he might be promoted to Assist trophy status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom