• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animal Crossing's Friendly Merchant: The Tom Nook Thread [CHANCES UP BY 100%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
That man speaks the truth.

:phone:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I have a final smash suggestion fo nook:

a house pops of from the ground next to a player close to tom nook (player is frozen during the attack), tom nook will state the bill in a text bubble, the character has a shocked expression and is launched off the stage.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
The villager may be the main character of the series, but Tom Nook is the face of the series. It's the same as the Red and Pikachu scenario - when the original Smash Bros was released Red was the main character of the series (by default since the gen. 1 games were the only ones out), but of course Pikachu got into the game instead. Why? Because Pikachu was and is the face of the series.

Tom Nook is a much more iconic and memorable character than the villager (as are K.K. Slider, Resetti and a few others). Surely even Sakurai realises that Nook is the most recognisable character in the series, and surely he'd put him in over the generic villager (if he doesn't give some bull excuse again for not making an Animal Crossing character playable :mad:)?

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
His excuse for not including an AC rep did make a lot of sense.
It was basically "There can't be an AC rep in Brawl because the characters don't fight and it'd ruin the cuddly cutesy image of the series", right? Or did he say something else as well?

Other people have already gone over this earlier in the thread and said pretty much the exact same things I'm about to say, but those really are poor excuses. Neither Captain Falcon or Zelda were seen engaging in combat before their appearances in Smash, so what's the difference between them and Nook? Then there's R.O.B. who went from a children's toy that moved coloured blocks around to a what we saw in Brawl. As the for cutesy image thing, I could understand if it was Mortal Kombat we were talking about and we risked seeing Tom Nook's head torn off, but it's Super Smash Bros, you can't get much more family friendly and light-hearted when it comes to a fighting game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It was basically "There can't be an AC rep in Brawl because the characters don't fight and it'd ruin the cuddly cutesy image of the series", right? Or did he say something else as well?

Other people have already gone over this earlier in the thread and said pretty much the exact same things I'm about to say, but those really are poor excuses. Neither Captain Falcon or Zelda were seen engaging in combat before their appearances in Smash, so what's the difference between them and Nook? Then there's R.O.B. who went from a children's toy that moved coloured blocks around to a what we saw in Brawl. As the for cutesy image thing, I could understand if it was Mortal Kombat we were talking about and we risked seeing Tom Nook's head torn off, but it's Super Smash Bros, you can't get much more family friendly and light-hearted when it comes to a fighting game.
Thing is, he backtracked that statement saying that it was possible for AC Villager to fight using bug spray.

We really don't know his views on an AC character anymore.

D

Deleted member

Just because Falcon and Zelda weren't seen engaging in combat doesn't mean they were never in combat.
Falcon is a bounty hunter; he beats down criminals for a living (and the comic that came with the original game shows this). OoT Zelda was fighting off Ganondorf's hordes off-screen while under her Sheik disguise (with official artwork showing her and Link standing back to back against a horde with a knife drawn).

In comparison, none of the characters from Animal Crossing have any indication of combat experience, aside from some boisterous claims by Resetti to throw some "mole elbows" (even in Smash Bros., where he goes as far as complaining he's only an item and would be beating everyone if he could join the fighting).
For Nook himself, supposedly he has claimed to have been in a fight club and never lost a match in Wild World, though no one has been able to confirm this so far. (Aside from this, even if it is true, it would been said after Sakurai already decided the roster in July 2005, as Wild World came out in Japan in November 2005).

That being said, things could change for the next Smash, considering Sakurai mentioned that while the Village Boy (his idea for a character) didn't really fit Smash's image, he could've been made to fight using a bug net and a shovel (probably due to the 2006 film showing the shovel used in a violent (though accidental) way).

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Thing is, he backtracked that statement saying that it was possible for AC Villager to fight using bug spray.

We really don't know his views on an AC character anymore.
his views could be good or bad. im hoping he wold want an animal crossing character now, especially tom nook.

D

Deleted member

Tom Nook's only shot is if:
a) He really did say he used to be in a fight club in Wild World.
b) Sakurai still doesn't see the Village Boy fitting, but is fine with Nook for what is mentioned in "a)" and because he's seen as a questionable character in-game with a checkered past.
c) Sakurai doesn't decide to go with the rage-filled Mr. Resetti instead.

And that's not even considering Sakurai simply not going with an AC character at all.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Tom Nook's only shot is if:
a) He really did say he used to be in a fight club in Wild World.
b) Sakurai still doesn't see the Village Boy fitting, but is fine with Nook for what is mentioned in "a)" and because he's seen as a questionable character in-game with a checkered past.
c) Sakurai doesn't decide to go with the rage-filled Mr. Resetti instead.

And that's not even considering Sakurai simply not going with an AC character at all.
a) and b) are alright but I don't get c). i never even thought of resetti being a character until you pointed it out.

D

Deleted member

Think of it like this:

-Sakurai mentioned how characters like the Village Boy do not make sense as fighters because they don't fit Smash's violent image. Resetti, being as raging and threatening as he is, would certainly fit the violent image. (You could easily envision him hitting someone with his pick, for example)
-Of all the characters he could have made into an Assist, he made it Resetti, who not only threatens the other characters and claims he'd beat everyone else if he could join in the fight, but will literally explode with anger if you hit him enough. (That's right, you can hit him.)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Zelda helps you fight Ganon in some games. She even prepared to fight enemies during a cutscene in Twilight Princess. Captain Falcon is a bounty hunter. The only thing i MIGHT give you is ROB.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Nook is my non-K. Rool main man! I'd totally be all over his inclusion!

I love the idea that he could throw furniture leaves that turn into random furniture as they fly towards opponents. So awesome.

Vaati

Smash Rookie
Tom Nook should seriously be in the next game... altough he should not kick or punch, that should be stupid... like you already mentiined, he needs to use traps and a lot of gimmicks, you know, a little bit like Snake, but even more. If they make him physical he will probably be really stupid.

I support this.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Considering how nice he looks in a green sweater, that 3DS outfit should be his alternate costume.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Legendofrob is close, but let me go a step further. His Final Smash brings his shop where he is at and also should involve summoning a small starter house where every opponent is. Tom Nook explains that each opponent now owes him 19,800 bells for the house. The rest of the game will then consist of the opponents digging up fossils, fishing, catching bugs, and buying from Tom Nook's shop. When the players successfully pay off their debt, Tom Nook then upgrades their houses and informs them that they now owe him more bells, the amount increasing with each upgrade. This continues until all of his opponents die trying to pay back their debt.

Also I'd like to have an AC rep because that'd be so amusing and because it is a pretty formidable Nintendo series. Be it a villager or Tom Nook.

capitanfalcon

Smash Rookie
Considering how nice he looks in a green sweater, that 3DS outfit should be his alternate costume.

I agree completely with this. The different levels of his shop costume (apron, shirt, longer apron, suit) as well as the sweater should be his costumes.

Now that Olimar's in, Nook is actually my number one. Unfortunately, Sakurai's comments about AC characters, even if it sounded like they were referring to the villager as opposed to any of the other characters, are disheartening. Nook also doesn't seem to have a heavy amount of support like K. Rool and Ridley do - he seems moderately popular, like he'd always be at the bottom of a "most wanted" list. I feel like his only hope of getting in would be the feeling that he'd best represent the Animal Crossing series, better than the villager or any other character. He's definitely very recognizable (even outside fans of the series), a prominent character in the series, and he doesn't have the issue of having to deal with customization.

In other words, let's say they decide AC needs a rep (going back on their comments about AC). Tom Nook could be the Pikachu to this series, just like how Red (or PKMN Trainer) was the protagonist for Pokemon RBY but Pikachu is the "face" of the series. I think that's the most likely scenario that he gets in. I'm really hoping for it, but it seems unlikely... Brawl would have been an excellent opportunity to put him in but they didn't put any AC character and they definitely did it on purpose.

If he did get in, I feel like his moveset should be different. What do I mean by that? I am liking the idea of his moveset being less "physical" and contact-based and more by proxy. A variation on the idea pioneered by Snake, let's say. It could be a compromise between wanting an AC rep and not wanting to sully the series' reputation - he himself won't really fight (or at least that won't be the most optimal tactic), but he won't be against setting things up to inconvenience the opponent and possibly lead them to their doom. I could see him being passive aggressive that way. He's a shrewd businessman, after all.

As you can tell, I definitely want him to get in! I feel he'd be the best choice for an AC rep, and it'd just be so much fun to play as him. Cartoony tanuki businessman~. Unfortunately, I am aware that he's not exactly a shoo-in (then again, what newcomers are when it comes to Smash?). Still, I have hope that Sakurai will rethink his position on AC characters and hopefully he'll pick Mr. Nook for the job.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
yeah well i doubt you'll get a playable rep. take that
OHHHH SNAP!!!!

Thing is, Sakurai already deemed the series to peaceful. Unless he changes his mind, we won't see an AC character.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why do certain circumstances matter to be in Smash? Some people actually want Tom Nook in Smash regardless of the peaceful circumstances.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that Sakurai views them as unfit for fighting. But, you know, beggars can't be choosers....

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
but... I'm that age. you don't see me saying stuff like that.
Twas a joke.:p

Besides, age doesn't really matter. What matters is maturity.

And you're much more mature than he is.

D

Deleted member

He thinks I'm autistic? :laugh:

Now I don't know whether to feel angry or pitiful towards him.
So what have learned about this guy so far? That he doesn't know
a) the definition of overrated
b) the difference between joking and being an ass
c) what autism is

capitanfalcon

Smash Rookie
It was a joke you idiot. 21 year olds can't joke? If you start coming at me for no reason in random threads I'll start making fun of you for being autistic
As someone with an ASD, I do not appreciate this. Let's get back to Nook, the one and only.

Supposedly Samurai reneged on his position about AC characters, saying the character (probably the villager) could fight with bug spray. As such, his current position is unknown. It could go either way. Obviously I hope Sakurai goes with Nook, if any at all, but he's not an obvious choice. Possible (more than Geno for sure), but not very much so.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
He thinks I'm autistic? :laugh:

Now I don't know whether to feel angry or pitiful towards him.
So what have learned about this guy so far? That he doesn't know
a) the definition of overrated
b) the difference between joking and being an ***
c) what autism is
Guess the internet must mean a lot to you if I have the power to upset you so much :)

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
really, just this site. do it all you want on youtube or facebook, but a lot of the people here won't tolerate this behavior.
My behavior has been fine. Some guy said AC won't get a playable rep and I said "yeah well i doubt you'll get a playable rep. take that". Just take a minute to realize what you're upset about.

If you take any hint of an insult from that, then you have serious issues. The guy I said it to doesn't seem to care about it, its all the same 3 people who get upset in every thread.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
really, just this site. do it all you want on youtube or facebook, but a lot of the people here won't tolerate this behavior.
Pretty much this.

As someone with an ASD, I do not appreciate this. Let's get back to Nook, the one and only.

Supposedly Samurai reneged on his position about AC characters, saying the character (probably the villager) could fight with bug spray. As such, his current position is unknown. It could go either way. Obviously I hope Sakurai goes with Nook, if any at all, but he's not an obvious choice. Possible (more than Geno for sure), but not very much so.
I honestly feel like they'd go with the Villager if we were to get an AC rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom