• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anger Management

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
When we pick up falco, we tend to focus on comboing. We pillar alot, fsmash alot, apply tons of shield pressure, and then get ***** by gimping, chain grabbing, and ledge guarding.

What Ive realized is that aggression is the key to losing. If you wanna play a top level falco, sure you have to know how to combo and pillar and do all the basic stuff.
But the true key is in the right approach, not the standard one.

Now this may be obvious to some people, but this may be new to others, so dont be a douchebag. Im not saying camp necessarily. Im saying know when to attack. The best falco is a falco that capitalizes on his opponents mistakes. The reason Mango and old school PCs falcos are so good is because they were/are "Counter Strikers". The key to victory is not to laser forward until you can pillar them and apply shield pressure. The key is to laser move around and wait for them to get off balance, to miss a grab or a hit or a tech, and then apply the pressure. Thats when you can combo them.

Falco has great priority and aerials, but against most other high tier characters, he doesnt have the damage, the speed, or the range to win head on without opening himself up for cheap combos by marth, shiek, and even falcon. It is much harder for falco to gimp and 0TD than it is for any other high tier.

We focus alot on players like shiz, lambchops, even forward without noticing that even the most technical players also know when to attack. And its only when they get a bit too reliant on the combos and the speed that they slip up and let players like m2k etc. wait for them to make mistakes and gimp them.

Am I Right or Wrong? Discuss.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
The key is to laser move around and wait for them to get off balance, to miss a grab or a hit or a tech, and then apply the pressure. Thats when you can combo them."
though this is obviously a very good tactic, it can't be said that its the tactic ALWAYS used as a falco. that would basically mean you're play a defensive falco. though playing the counter-strike side of it, applying pressure and being very offensive and knowing what your doing can also be very useful, like spacing your aerials while being offensive and mixing up your pillaring game with shinegrabs and jcshines and alot of other things.

and even falcon
i dunno about that either, falco destroys falcon easily in most cases, it's pretty much up to the cfalc to have bomb mindgames/techchasing/pressure, where all the falco needs is laser pressure and pillar combos, especially with that ****ty grab range of falcs

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
naw GTX is right.

Every character should be played semi-defensively at a high level. You can see it clearly in chop's style. Its more subtle in shiz's style but its definitely there.

Knowing when to attack is the precursor for knowing why to attack. Once you know why to attack, you can start playing at a top level. Before that, even if you combo well or w/e, you're still not playing remotely smart enough to be a top level player. You're just a kid pressing buttons.

Overload

Smash Lord
This is one of my biggest problems with Falco. I tend to be over-aggressive and just blindly approach.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
yup
cuz if u are too aggressive, den your opponent will play it safe and wait for a moment to shield grab or capitalize on a bad mistake

instead of hoping for the best in a 100% rushdown, play more defensively and you can analyze your opponent and predict his movements, slowly turning you into control of the stock or match

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
If you play too aggresive. you start to think about what you should do rather than looking for a chance to get in on ur opponent. Playing defensively is one of the better options because it gives you a chance to look for an opening rather than going in head first.

Sion

Island of Horizon
This is one of my biggest problems with Falco. I tend to be over-aggressive and just blindly approach.
Blind aggression, haha. I play a lot of blind aggression, but I see what OP is trying to say. I'll start figuring out when and how to attack instead of being stupid.

Top Bottom