• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Angel Ring-good or bad?

Zolo16

Smash Rookie
Does anyone think that Pit's angel ring is a good move? Personally, I think its terrible. Post your opinions here.

NekoBoy085

Smash Apprentice
It's great for giving damage and flinch while reflecting projectiles, can really save your *** in FFA and help a fellow ranged fighter in Team Battles. So no it's far from useless since it comes out fast. Just using it as another means of damage seems useless to me since his AALoop combo both gives better damage and covers Pit's *** while attacking.

Zolo16

Smash Rookie
well i just think it commits him too much and then someone can hit you from the back, but maybe ill try using it more

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Fall on top of someone while preforming this move. It works wonders. Plus it's good for escapes and many other things.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I like it to approach with against spammers. It's hard to shield grab, reflects, and deals constant damage that pushes them away. It's a solid move.

People like to use it a lot thinking it is an "all purpose move," but it's not. Hitting someone adds cool-down time. If they break out earlier than expected, you could have problems! If you use it more than 5 times in a match though, you are probably spamming it when you could be doing some other 500 moves.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I got a metaknight up to like 70 percent with this move. Its bad though IMO. Great noob killer though cuz they dont DI. Or DI wrong i should say.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Angel Ring has many good uses. When used properly you can really rack up the damage.

* Use it like an aerial grab! Normally people will shield when they see you shorthop, because they know you can't grab them. But if you short hop this, yeah, it still gets them.

* Push people off the ledge. Normally once you're caught in the attack, you can only roll backwards to get away (they can't roll behind you). If they're near the ledge when they start blocking this, they have no choice but to get hit, and be pushed of the edge.

* Ledge Recovery. People like to lay in wait with their shield to get you when you come up. Use this off the ledge and land on stage to break that strategy.

* Simultaneously reflect projectiles and attack! This is very good against character's that use their projectiles in a shorthop approach, such as Mario or Wolf.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
1. the opponents i play will fireball me when i shorthop, not shield. Theres better options to punish a shield imo, but it works

2. I like using this one, but its hard to set up (i got a 0-death on fox using this XD)

3. I use this one ^_^

4. will not work. Too much ending lag time and your gonna get your face smashed in. Especially vs mario...

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
1. the opponents i play will fireball me when i shorthop, not shield. Theres better options to punish a shield imo, but it works
It's not about punishing shields, it's about having more options and mindgames.

2. I like using this one, but its hard to set up (i got a 0-death on fox using this XD)
Hard to set up? I think you might be confusing what I said with meaning you do Side-B off the ledge and carry them with you (which is a bad tactic). I'm talking about using the side-B so that it ends on the ground, but you don't leave your opponent enough room to roll away. I get to use the side-B in this way all the time.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
ohh yeah i see what you mean. But also I guess if you catch them in the ring and just barely fall off the ledge and catch them. Then you can get a ko pretty easy with another hit or two. Very risky but kinda flashy and cool XD

Oh and is it just my computer freaking out or does every post saying T I M E keep appearing as Coin..?

Edit: nevermind april fools i get it...

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
it's not a staple pit move but it's definitely a move to keep in mind. it can sometime greatly shift stage positioning and i like the little wind it gives off at the end =P it saved my *** a few times.

so.. yes it is good.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
It's not that great, but it works. Try dashing away from the opponent, using side-b, and pressing the opposite direction AS it starts. You will start the side b towards your dash, and turn around.

Use it on someone's shield (NOT MARTH). Most characters can't do anything out of it. They can do nothing if they don't powershield. Still not sure what happens if they powershield. With Pit's sucky *** grab range, it helps. Don't do it against Marth unless you want an up-b to the face.

kown

Smash Lord
ok another technique for this move is when someones on the edge and you use the angel ring. it pushes them straight down while they are on the edge. just throwing it out there.

sprodj

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, it is most useful as a surprise move, or just in 4 player matches. Using it too much, though, will make people just wait for it. (like what happens to Marth counter- spammers)

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
it's a mediocre move at best. I use it once maybe twice a game to mix things up but really the only time I see it being my best option is punishing other pits for using their up b to recover.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Angel Ring has many good uses. When used properly you can really rack up the damage.

* Use it like an aerial grab! Normally people will shield when they see you shorthop, because they know you can't grab them. But if you short hop this, yeah, it still gets them.

* Push people off the ledge. Normally once you're caught in the attack, you can only roll backwards to get away (they can't roll behind you). If they're near the ledge when they start blocking this, they have no choice but to get hit, and be pushed of the edge.

* Ledge Recovery. People like to lay in wait with their shield to get you when you come up. Use this off the ledge and land on stage to break that strategy.

* Simultaneously reflect projectiles and attack! This is very good against character's that use their projectiles in a shorthop approach, such as Mario or Wolf.
Ditto, I was going to write this as well. It is and excellent move against Ice Climbers especially close to the edge. Even when they are expecting it (Ice Climbers) it still works great as a damage giver and shield reducer. This is a great move.

sprodj

Smash Rookie
it's a mediocre move at best. I use it once maybe twice a game to mix things up but really the only time I see it being my best option is punishing other pits for using their up b to recover.
The point of using Angel Ring is not to spam it, but rather to use it, like you said, only a few times a game; because when it is used right, it is devastating. Just because its not used a lot doesn't mean it isn't good. Think of Marth's Dair. You only use it occasionally, but a spike with it usually kills.

sprodj

Smash Rookie
What exactly happens in this move? What does Pit do?

Can someone please make a pit guide.
Pit spins his swords/bow out in front of himself, dealing little damage per hit but can hit 5+ times if done right. It also reflects projectiles. (not explosives though)

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
This move is great when used towards the beginning of the match to rack up some damage; some of Pit's tilts, and sometimes even a smash on low percentage, keep the opponent in close neough range to pop you back quickly. Generally speaking, I find that if I am able to pressure a shield or even hit somebody with this, it'll add 5-15% (rarely more) damage and be safe enough from harm. Then proceed as necessary!

kupo15

Smash Hero
There is a cool trick you can also do that will surprise your opponent. Usually if you initiate a move in the air and on the ground you gain no distance. But with the angel ring you can initiate in the air and when you land, you slide forward the same amount as if you were to start it on the ground. I don't know how to do this although I have done so a couple of times by accident.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Possibly, but the shield gives power armor frames, stops melee attacks, reflects, and can turn enemies around. IMO, it is better suited for defense than the Ring.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Here is another good use for angel that I just realized. If you surprise your opponent and land a lot of hits on his shield or on him, this single move reduces the damage decay on your other moves giving you an easier chance to kill.

Top Bottom