• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Analyzing the Nostalgia Effect

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
But Mura, that is like, your opinion.

But seriously, what Teran said =/= Dre.'s post. Teran is saying that you can't assert your opinion as fact, which is in response to Dre. saying games are insignificant objectively, signified by Teran's "I can't believe you of all people would try pushing the subjective into the realm of the objective", reading the post you quoted would show you this. As for your second input of (in my opinion), it doesn't fit because Dre. IS doing that by stating subjective things as if they are plainly objective for all. Note Dre.'s "I used to get worked up over things like this, but now I have more perspective and realise how trivial it is."

To put it more clearly, Teran is not calling out Dre. on stating things as fact, he is calling him out on putting a subjective view as objective, which he is asserting over others. My suggestion is to actually read the entire discussion before trying to belittle anyone, eh? "Life on these boards would be so much easier"

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I feel like laughing after reading Mura's post.

Gotta walk on eggshells when we post now! We can't say "you're being an ***" or "you're a good person" around Mura, it has to follow IN MY OPINION otherwise you're just being a stupid hypocrite.

I mean, in my opinion it makes you a hypocrite. Totally.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Now how silly is that? You accuse Dre of asserting his opinion as fact, yet you do it yourself five times in the exact same post. Life on these boards would be so much easier if we would stop pretending that we are so much better than our fellow posters.

For what my word is worth, I can vouch for Dre being a cool guy, and totally not a person who believes his opinion is fact.
You are... so devoid of English comprehension ability it is profound.

Holder already summed it up pretty much, but let me break down each of your smug pseudo-intellectual IMO insertions.

"
(In my opinion) Just because videogames are are nerd pastime doesn't make them something to sweep under the carpet as insignificant."

This is 100% true. First of all, it is an objective truth that different people value things differently. Ergo, you cannot sweep something under the carpet as insignificant because you see it that way. Let's say an average European is following this train of thought, they'd think "oh why are people even mad that their team lost in the Superbowl? It's just American Football man that **** is totally not even a real sport and is dumb don't even understand".

Yeah okay.

"
The problem is (in my opinion) you seem to be implying that your line of thinking and worldview is the be all end all, and is the Biblical truth that all mankind should abide to."

Note the use of "seem to be" and not "are". That imo insertion would just be redundant and typical internet ***got behaviour for OH I'M SO SMART AND CIVIL BECAUSE I SAID IMO like oh 2 + 2 = 4 IN MY OPINION OMG YOLO.

"You may not be trying to have this effect at all, and might be dismayed that you come off this way, but (in my opinion) you do, so maybe you should put a little more thought into how you word things."

Note that I'm absolving him by saying it could just be him not wording it effectively. The implication (something which generally you seem to struggle with), is that his air TO ME obviously since I'm the one giving him a hard time comes off that way.

"I could have named more but I think you're talking about technical ability, which (in my opinion) isn't really the mark of a great professional wrestler. The best professional wrestler is (in my opinion) the one that draws the most money."

No Mura this is an objective truth. Professional wrestling isn't judged by gold medals because there are none, anybody can be given championship runs because hey it's scripted so that isn't a mark either. The man who draws the money and sells out arenas is the one who's doing a good job. Those who draw the most money become the most valuable commodity, who are then pushed because of this fact. Professional wrestlers are just commodities in a business, the one that makes the organisation the most money is objectively the best. Learn2Economics

All this boils down to IN MY OPINION is the fact that you are accepting the torrent of silliness pouring out of Dre's posts because you think he's a cool guy, and if I remember right you definitely don't like Falcon, and pretty sure you dislike me. When you have bright ideas like "calling me out" you should probably just keep them to yourself. I mean seriously you are so full of wrong that even your opinions are wrong, you broke the ****ing fabric of existence with your wrongness. That is actually a word too! I know these things because I don't open my mouth unless I can be sure I'm right, it's a cheap trick I learned for looking smart and infallible.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

You know Mura, I would have dropped this but you don't seem to have gotten even a little bit better so I'm bringing it up again, and by it I mean this ****ing blog: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292269

Remember that blog? The one where you asserted your opinions in the most asinine way possible while trying to act like you can objectively prove that yours are the best? Yeah now it's like you're trying to do the opposite because of how ****ing hard you failed at doing that. Well, guess what? YOU FAILED AGAIN.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Wow Teran, I had some respect for you. I thought you were a bit humbler than that. Do you even know how opinions work? Here's a definition:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion

a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

Basically anything that you view as true that cannot be objectively proven is an opinion. Anything I can diasgree with without you being able to assert a definitive value is an opinion. Everything in that post that I quoted is an opinion. You cannot assert things that you cannot prove as fact as fact. I'm not going to go through the trouble of quoting everything because I'm not really that interested in this, but basically your statement that "you can't dismiss other people's hobbies" is an opinion because I don't have to agree with it. The fact that people believe different things may have influenced your belief in that opinion, but it is still opinion nonetheless. I, on the other hand, can know it to be true that people like different things and still choose to believe that other people's hobbies can be dismissed, because that's how opinions work. I'll do another for you: Your statement of "who's the best wrestler, is still opinion because I don't have to agree with it. The fact that some wrestlers make more money than others may have influenced your opinion on what makes the best wrestler, but that same value does not have to be what other people base their opinion about how to judge a wrestler. Some one else might judge the best wrestler by hos muscular he is or how flashy his moves are, what you value is not what other people value. You made the same mistake twice. You developed an opinion based on a value that you believe is (or should be) the objective standard, but the truth is a person does not have to value the same things as you and thus does not have to come to the same conclusions about opinions than you. The fact that you asserted this again even after I called you out makes you even more guilty than Dre, because you don't even acknowledge that your opinions are opinions even upon reflection. Shameful.

As for Falcon, you can continue to bring up that thread all you want. Sure, it's a skeleton in my closet, something I regret having done, and if you want to assume that I'm the same person that I was then, then fine.

As for my intentions, don't go thinking that I have some alliance with Dre. We're not exactly friends. Pretty much every thread I've spoken with him in we've been in disagreement. I don't dislike you Teran, I just disagree with you a lot. Thing is, I know how to disagree with people without getting upset with them. Like I said, I haven't been following this thread at all, I have no idea what nonsense either Dre or you have been saying. I posted specifically because I saw you accuse someone of asserting his opinion as fact. I just really hate seeing that accusation made. Asserting opinion as fact is a common mistake that everyone makes, it's so heavily engrained into general discourse that it can be pointed out every couple sentences (as I did with yours). Hopefully you're beginning to realize that your opinions are, in fact, opinions because my goal isn't to make you mad, but to make you aware that simply because something makes sense in your mind does not make it a fact.

And if you're still a little unsure about how opinions work, I'll break it down for you. With every opinion there is always a premise and a conclusion. Premises and conclusions are based on a value. With that in mind, here's the breakdown of how an opinion looks: the best wrestler is the one who has the best reputation, so the best wrestler is The Rock.

The entirety of the red is the premise. Contained in the red in bold is the value. And the yellow is the conclusion. Now, do I have to break your statements down into this form or do you now acknowledge that the things you stated previously are opinions and not fact?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
There's so much smug pretentiousness in that post it makes my ****ing head spin. You aren't even defending Dre, who pretty much continually straw manned me to make himself feel better, you're now TELLING TERAN WHAT AN OPINION IS. So yes, you are absolutely no better than you were back then, and you are still getting ****ed because of it.

Man I wonder why anyone thinks OoT isn't that good, guys. Derp.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
You entirely missed the point, Teran isn't saying "you can't dismiss other people's hobbies" in the sense that he is trying to put that view on everyone, you're taking it out of context. He is saying that Dre. is putting something subjective as objective, which is doing what the bolded says in the context you are using it against Teran. This is something objectively true because it can be proven because we have SEEN it. You basically typed out that post for nothing. It isn't a matter of reading the entire discussion anymore as you say, you aren't even properly looking at a single post within it that you are trying to address.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Wow Teran, I had some respect for you. I thought you were a bit humbler than that. Do you even know how opinions work? Here's a definition:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion

a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

Basically anything that you view as true that cannot be objectively proven is an opinion. Anything I can diasgree with without you being able to assert a definitive value is an opinion. Everything in that post that I quoted is an opinion. You cannot assert things that you cannot prove as fact as fact. I'm not going to go through the trouble of quoting everything because I'm not really that interested in this, but basically your statement that "you can't dismiss other people's hobbies" is an opinion because I don't have to agree with it.
Okay Webster, yes I can. The reason why is that it is an objective truth, as I already stated, that people value things differently. Because of this, you cannot dismiss the importance of something to someone else because you essentially saying their mind works like yours and it is being faulty, which is objectively wrong. You're just proving that your comprehension skills are shockingly lacking.

The fact that people believe different things may have influenced your belief in that opinion, but it is still opinion nonetheless. I, on the other hand, can know it to be true that people like different things and still choose to believe that other people's hobbies can be dismissed, because that's how opinions work.
Yeah opinions do work that way, except objective truths are not based on opinion. That other people think differently is an objective truth, you cannot opinion bs your way out of that.

I'll do another for you: Your statement of "who's the best wrestler, is still opinion because I don't have to agree with it. The fact that some wrestlers make more money than others may have influenced your opinion on what makes the best wrestler, but that same value does not have to be what other people base their opinion about how to judge a wrestler. Some one else might judge the best wrestler by hos muscular he is or how flashy his moves are, what you value is not what other people value.
Again you totally fail to understand what the point is. Wrestling is a BUSINESS and the best wrestler is the one who profits the business the most. All those other definitions of best are stupid things that people want to bring up in a world they think should constantly revolve around OH LIKE IT'S MY OPINION AND IT SHOULD BE RESPECTED. No. Whether they have specific gifts or talents that makes them your favourite is different as to whether they are the best. The best are the ones who made the most money because THAT IS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE of that BUSINESS.

You made the same mistake twice. You developed an opinion based on a value that you believe is (or should be) the objective standard,
No I stated the objective truth about things people like to think are opinion based.

but the truth is a person does not have to value the same things as you and thus does not have to come to the same conclusions about opinions than you.
Absolutely right, but I wasn't stating opinions.

The fact that you asserted this again even after I called you out makes you even more guilty than Dre, because you don't even acknowledge that your opinions are opinions even upon reflection. Shameful.
No.

This is like... painful.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
You entirely missed the point, Teran isn't saying "you can't dismiss other people's hobbies" in the sense that he is trying to put that view on everyone, you're taking it out of context. He is saying that Dre. is putting something subjective as objective, which is doing what the bolded says in the context you are using it against Teran. This is something objectively true because it can be proven because we have SEEN it. You basically typed out that post for nothing. It isn't a matter of reading the entire discussion anymore as you say, you aren't even properly looking at a single post within it that you are trying to address.
First, "you can't dismiss other people's hobbies" =/= "you put something subjective as objective."

Those sentences have completely different meanings. The first is a statement of opinion, and hte second is a statement of fact. It is objectively true that Dre put something subjective as objective, however it is not objectively true that Dre is at fault for doing this. Teran suggests that there is some fault with Dre, which is pure opinion regardless of the objective fact that opinion is based in.

Secondly, you have only addressed only one of the five times where Teran asserted his opinion as fact.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The Dark Age of Opinions.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I'll skip the nonsense and cut directly to the problem.

Yeah opinions do work that way, except objective truths are not based on opinion. That other people think differently is an objective truth, you cannot opinion bs your way out of that.
Yes, your premise, that people think differently is objective fact. However, your conclusion, that people's differing thoughts should be respected is not objective fact. You argue that because people think differently, that all thoughts should be respected. But this argument is not fact. It is not a fact that people's opinions should be respected. It's opinion.

Again you totally fail to understand what the point is. Wrestling is a BUSINESS and the best wrestler is the one who profits the business the most. All those other definitions of best are stupid things that people want to bring up in a world they think should constantly revolve around OH LIKE IT'S MY OPINION AND IT SHOULD BE RESPECTED. No. Whether they have specific gifts or talents that makes them your favourite is different as to whether they are the best. The best are the ones who made the most money because THAT IS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE of that BUSINESS.
If one chooses to judge worth of a wrestler based on how much money they generate, then it is logical to call the best wrestler the one who generates the most money. However, a person has a right to give more worth to another value to discern a judgement. Your premise, "that the best wrestler is determined by how much money they generate", is opinion, not fact. Therefore your conclusion immediately becomes everything but fact.

Hell you even violated your own rule about respecting people's opinions in your post. The part that I bolded directly contradicts what you said earlier about respecting the fact that people think differently and therefore not dismissing their values. I'll quote you.

First of all, it is an objective truth that different people value things differently. Ergo, you cannot sweep something under the carpet as insignificant because you see it that way.
See that? Yet here you are, knowing that people think differently about how to judge the worth of a wrestler, brazenly rejecting, dismissing the worth of, and "sweeping under the carpet as insignificant" the values of other people simply because you see it that way. You are willfully pressing your value of "the best wrestler is the one who brings in the most money" on other people.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Firstly... what? What is the mention of fault? Teran is just saying what he did, I don't find fault with him or anyone, nor is he even talking about that, that isn't even the point. Those statements aren't the same, yeah, but once again, you are taking it out of context, you didn't properly look at my post. The first statement is something that Teran said using the reasoning of the second statement. THAT is how they are related. We've already said this, and it was apparent when Teran originally said it, but there it is again. Teran isn't saying, "Hey now guys let's all be respectful of opinions and stuff." He is saying that subjective views cannot be made trivial objectively by someone else having different subjective views. So again, when he says: "you can't dismiss other people's hobbies", it was to state that.

Secondly, I don't care about the discussion with wrestling, why do I have to address that necessarily? Those are two separate topics dude, and it merely sprung from the original topic.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I think he doesn't get what Teran means when he says best. You know the best salesman makes the most sales/money, that's kinda Teran's ****ing point.

Also I like how this is now an attack on Teran so we can ignore how Dre was being some ****ing champion of intellectual superiority because lol flacon gets buttmad cuz he dum.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'll skip the nonsense and cut directly to the problem.

Yes, your premise, that people think differently is objective fact. However, your conclusion, that people's differing thoughts should be respected is not objective fact. You argue that because people think differently, that all thoughts should be respected. But this argument is not fact. It is not a fact that people's opinions should be respected. It's opinion.
I never said people's thoughts should be respected. I said you can't dismiss a something subjective objectively.

If one chooses to judge worth of a wrestler based on how much money they generate, then it is logical to call the best wrestler the one who generates the most money. However, a person has a right to give more worth to another value to discern a judgement. Your premise, "that the best wrestler is determined by how much money they generate", is opinion, not fact. Therefore your conclusion immediately becomes everything but fact.
No, it is fact because wrestling is a business, and business runs on the objective rule that whatever generates the most profit is the best product. No wonder your country is in such dire financial straits, seriously, what? This is basic economics. Bunch of travel agents, the guy who sells the most plane tickets is the best in the building. Same with wrestling, a combination of multiple talents are used to market yourself as a wrestler and make people give enough of a **** to buy tickets to the show/your merch. If you are the best at that, you are the best PROFESSIONAL wrestler. Amateur wrestling is about actual athleticism, it is not a business, but pro wresting is a business, and thus the objective truth is that the one who makes the most money for the organisation is the best. There are many wrestlers who could have potentially reached that spot and didn't, but life isn't measured in shouldawouldacouldas brother.

Hell you even violated your own rule about respecting people's opinions in your post. The part that I bolded directly contradicts what you said earlier about respecting the fact that people think differently and therefore not dismissing their values
I never said opinions should be respected, I just said you shouldn't expect your opinion to be an objective truth.

See that? Yet here you are, knowing that people think differently about how to judge the worth of a wrestler, brazenly rejecting, dismissing the worth of, and "sweeping under the carpet as insignificant" the values of other people simply because you see it that way. You are willfully pressing your value of "the best wrestler is the one who brings in the most money" on other people.
Yes becase they're trying to make something objective subjective. The opposite of what Dre was doing, but it's equally stupid.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Equally stupid? Come on Teran, I think even Dre had a better stance trying to take the moral high ground stance cuz I'm just so darn angry all the time.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
It seems that no matter how many times I point out that your "facts" are opinions, you'll keep reasserting them as facts. Seeing as how you refuse to acknowledge that people will judge things based on how they feel, not how a company feels, this is probably already a lost cause. I don't have time for a thorough rebuttal right now, so I'll leave you with this:

1. I feel that not dismissing something subjective objectively implies a respect of others' opinions.

2. I feel that the standards of a wrestling company hold the same weight as opinion in discerning the worth of a wrestler.

See you in a couple hours.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
See the problem is you still don't understand that Teran is talking about who is best for business, not who is best ability wise. Why? I think it's because you suck at reading.

get hooked on fonix yo

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Equally stupid? Come on Teran, I think even Dre had a better stance trying to take the moral high ground stance cuz I'm just so darn angry all the time.
You are stupid. rude, and I HATE YOU more than my boyfriend.

It seems that no matter how many times I point out that your "facts" are opinions, you'll keep reasserting them as facts. Seeing as how you refuse to acknowledge that people will judge things based on how they feel, not how a company feels, this is probably already a lost cause. I don't have time for a thorough rebuttal right now, so I'll leave you with this:

1. I feel that not dismissing something subjective objectively implies a respect of others' opinions.
Well THAT's an opinion that we are both basically not on the same wavelength with so whatever. People have opinions on things I'm in the total opposite of and I don't really bother to respect them per se, I just accept them and acknowledge their existence. For example, my boyfriend thinks body hair is attractive, and I don't respect that opinion enough to stop waxing my body hair. I don't go "you're a douchebag for liking body hair". There we go though, different folks, different strokes.

2. I feel that the standards of a wrestling company hold the same weight as opinion in discerning the worth of a wrestler.

A pro wrestling organisation can take multiple approaches and appeal to multiple demographics. Depending on their criteria, the best wrestler is the one who thrives the most within that environment. Ironically, I probably have the same taste in pro wrestling product as Dre, but that I do not encompass the entire revenue for WWE. The best wrestlers are the ones with the most all encompassing appeal within the given environment, because of the business nature of the whole thing. That is what I am saying.

BUT HEY DON'T BE MAD THAT THOSE CRUISERWEIGHTS CAN'T DRAW A DIME BROTHER WHILE THE HULKSTER IS SELLING OUT ARENAS AROUND THE WORLD. HULKAMANIA WILL NEVER DIE MEAN GENE.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

You're wrong on this one, though. Best is an objective term. Favorite is the subjective term. You're battling over a definition of what best defaults to in this case, not that his is an opinion. When the best is not known, you can have your opinion on who is the best. For example, who is the best at Super Smash Bros Melee cannot be defined under that question, and the sentence, "In my opinion, Armada is the best Melee player," is a perfectly fine response because it is assumed that you are talking about skill level and that it is the option you have reached based on what you know. You subjective opinion on the matter can objectively be proven unlikely if I were to go digging up Mango's results, but given the inability to quantify it because you cannot measure the outside factors that affect how one preforms in the game, you can't truly be proven wrong although objectively, there is one player who is better. A tier list, for example, fluctuates as people objectively prove opinions to be either false or highly unlikely despite the characters it is measuring never undergoing any changes (assuming a stable ruleset).

Teran has quantified the "best" wrestler as the one who has made the most money and this interpretation makes sense. Proffessional wrestling, at the end of the day, isn't about making the viewers happy. That's an means to an end. Proffessional wrestling is about making money. Putting ***** in seats and selling product in order to turn a profit. That's the definition of a business, an organization out there attempting to turn a profit. Unless you want to objectively disprove that proffessional wrestling is about making money or change what we are quantifying as "best," then you have no argument.

What you are trying to say is that Teran cannot say that the best wrestler (which he has defined as the one who brings in the most money) is the best, objectively, because "best" is a subjective word that means different things to different people. It's not. Best does not change. The objects you are measuring can change, but the objective fact that "best" means number one, none better, most successful at predetermined criteria remains constant. Best is a defined value, and therefore not an opinion.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
See the problem is you still don't understand that Teran is talking about who is best for business, not who is best ability wise. Why? I think it's because you suck at reading.

get hooked on fonix yo
Who is best ability wise is also not subjective though........

EDIT: In that case, your opinion is better defined as a hypothesis.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Who is best ability wise is also not subjective though........

EDIT: In that case, your opinion is better defined as a hypothesis.
Well it's easy to claim two wrestlers are fairly even in terms of skill but someone might like the other guy's move set more, at which point it does become more of a battle of opinion.

The fact that we are now discussing wrestling instead of continuing to call Dre a fool is proof that this is a Mura Rengan blog, btw. I've been alternating between laughing and going >:[ so much that I'm not even sure what to think about this kind of **** coming back lolololol.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Hey Ryker try not double posting in UB I know there's no post count but yeah.

Edit: Remember let's not flat out insult people directly, can't have that.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yeah, I catch myself doing it outside of DGames because of habit, but editting the second post and saying "double post" doesn't do ****, so I just let it rock.

Well it's easy to claim two wrestlers are fairly even in terms of skill but someone might like the other guy's move set more, at which point it does become more of a battle of opinion.

The fact that we are now discussing wrestling instead of continuing to call Dre a fool is proof that this is a Mura Rengan blog, btw. I've been alternating between laughing and going >:[ so much that I'm not even sure what to think about this kind of **** coming back lolololol.
More of a battle of opinion. Still objective, but more subjective? The term is completely objective. You can be one of two things, you can be right or you can be wrong.

Techinically, there is a possibility that two of the exact same thing could exist, in which case, there would be multiple correct answers, but that's one hell of a semantics argument in the middle of a semantics argument.

Besides, we're defining it as who can bring in the most money, not skill. Skill is irrelevant if I have the pre-requisite amount to be broadcasted and enough showmanship to bring more dollars. That's the reason it's a good example. You can define it with dollar signs.

What you are saying is more akin to my player comparison between Mango and Armada, but still wrong. By putting forward two different answers, we ensure that at least one of us is wrong. It's as simple as that. The fact that it is not possible to quantify it leads people to draw a conclusion based on the limited information available. Your opinion on who is better is a product of the vernacular. It is not truly an opinion, it is an educated guess. Hypothesis is a pain in the *** word that gets people to look at you like some kind of prick though, so the word opinion will stay commonplace.

Look at it this way.

Assume the following is true:

Dre is a homosexual.

You and I see him sitting down with three girls wearing a hot pink polo and some really tight jeans. You see him put a hand on one girl's leg and she doesn't freak out about it.

I tell you that he's gay because he fits the stereotype.
You tell me that he's straight because you think he's going out with the girl mentioned in the final sentence of the above paragraph.

Saying "In my opinion, Dre is a heterosexual," does not make it subjective. You are wrong. I am right. That sentence simply means that you acknowledge that you could be wrong. We obviously aren't talking with him or seeing him elsewhere, so we probably never recieve confirmation that one of us is correct and the other is wrong, but that does not change the fact that there is a defined value for what you are setting forward with your statement.

Judging who is the "best" at something is the same deal. There is only one, but you can put forward objective statements that are incorrect that may or may not be possible to prove incorrect.

Common creation arguments such as "My God started the Big Bang" vs. "No he didn't." Someone is right, but neither side can prove it.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Mura- Thanks for sticking up for me, homies4lyf. It's funny that I orinigally came in here to stick up for Luco, and now someone is sticking up for me.

Everybody else- If you think that I have some sense of intellectual superiority, or am guilty of turning subjective opinion into objective fact moreso than anybody else here then you couldn't be more wrong. My whole point is that intellectual superiority is worthless. I used to be one of these people that thought that listening to classical was better than listening to house, or that reading Odyssey was better than reading Twilight because it was more sophisticated, but now I realise that they're just subbjective values that humans ascribe to things arbitrarily. Intellectual superiority is thinking that it's better to read Oddyssey instead of Twilight, but I'm the complete opposite of that now.

Teran if you read my posts you'd realise that my comments on video game discussions have nothing to do with it being nerdy. I think it's just as trivial to get worked up other things such as sport and other things favoured by society.

I don't see how I'm more guilty than anyone else when it comes to turning subjective opinion into fact. This whole debate started because Falcon come in and basically said Luco was stupid for thinking what he thought. What he said couldn't be objectively proven either, so it seems like you guys are setting are double-standard. At least I wasn't rude to people and didn't insult them because they diagreed with me.

Also, you have beern incredibly hypocritical with your comments about wrestling. How you define good in a wrestler is subjective. What you're talking about is really the marketability perspective of the industry. That side is more subjective than in-ring ability. For example, what is marketable in America isn't as marketable in Mexico. WWE wrestlers are just big guys with mic skills but a very limited move pallet, but that is successfull in America. In Mexico, to be successfull you actually have to do things that normal wrestlers can't, and as a result many of them fit the luchadore mould because bigger wrestlers normally aren't capable of more diverse move-pallets.

To put it into perspective, I think it would be controversial to call Twilight a good book simply because it sold a lot. The book was trashed by every literature critic and basically anyone with a sophisticated taste in literature. By your logic, because it made money, it's objectively a good book. I don't think it's that clear. It depends on what you define as good, making money or artistic quality. You could say from a commercial perspective it was a good book, but from an artistic perspective it was poor.

What you're doing with wrestling is taking a specific component (in this case the marketability) and claiming it's the objective definition of good in the wrestling industry.

I personally find that people confuse talent with marketability. Many of the top cards in the WWF-WWE were simply competent wrestlers that basically had an angle or mic skills that made them marketable enough to get a push. Austin is a classic example. Austin was low-mid card in WCW, then went to WWF and adopted the Stone Cold gimmick and is now considered one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. It was basically his angle that pushed him into stardom.

Or take Taka and Funaki and those other Japanese guys. They were top cards in Japan, and were basically the DX over there. They come to WWE and were made low-card jokes.

What you define is a good wrestler is incredibly subjective. What I define as good is in-ring ability, which I think is more objective. So to me, that's things like ability to sell moves, botch rate, what moves you can do etc.

I personally think Mexican wrestling is leagues ahead of the WWE because Mexican wrestlers can do everything WWE wrestlers can plus so much more. They execute moves just as well, sell moves a lot better, and can do moves that WWE guys couldn't ever dream of doing. If you stripped wrestlers of their fame and their angles and threw them into the ring, I think wrestlers like luchadores would definiely be considered way more talented than WWE guys.

I mean, many mid-low cards said top cards controlled everything in their respective companies, and stopped lower card talent from getting pushed. Many top-cards also came out and shot on other top-cards saying that they had no talent.

Judging by what you consider good wresters, we clearly value different things. To me, most of those guys are just competent wrestlers, but not many of them can do anything that other wrestlers can't in the ring once you remove their fame and angles. In fact, most of those aren't particularly good at basic things like selling moves.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I feel like it's already been stated that Teran is speaking purely from a business perspective. You know we both hate Cena, but admit he's one of the biggest if not the biggest money maker WWE has right now, right?

Right?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I feel like it's already been stated that Teran is speaking purely from a business perspective. You know we both hate Cena, but admit he's one of the biggest if not the biggest money maker WWE has right now, right?

Right?
So then would you say that sophisticated literature isn't good if it doesn't sell?

It is good, but in a different sense. Wrestling has just as much room to be an art as it does a business. It's just that the dominant company is so blatantly focused on marketability
rather than talent that it's easy to forget.

Also, most people think the Austins and the HHH are actually talented as well as marketable. To me, HHH and the like aren't much different to Cena. It's just that the former had angles aimed at an older target market.

:phone:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It depends on the criteria. From business if your book doesn't sell, it is inherently bad if money is your main goal.

However if artistic praise is what you're looking for and you get it, then indeed, it is good. Thing is though art is truly subjective, and I mean as long as the book isn't written so poorly in the sense that it cannot actually be comprehended, then it could be good in somebody's eyes who appreciates it from that point.

But mixing the world of art and business is a very dicey affair, since their objectives couldn't be more different. The come together a lot, but yeah to mix then successfully is what the big corporations try their hardest with all their research etc (and often seem to fail).

Edit: Oh and I'll think you'll find that even if HHH was never amazing, (although Lance storm called him a 9 who people think is a 7 and is booked like a 10), Stone Cold was hired by WWE because of his ring ability. He was fantastic technically. His original Ringmaster gimmick was chosen because of that, Vince didn't even want him to talk, he wanted him to talk as little as possible cos he thought Stone Cold had no charisma, and instead wanted him to just focus purely on his technical skills.

So yeah, I'll give you HHH in that department for sure, but Austin?

LOL

Like I said before he broke his damn neck he was great.

Not to mention, I never even said HHH was a technical wizard LOL

Reika Kitami

Smash Cadet
I feel the same way sometimes, but it's important to remember some times that just because something is first does not make it better.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
So then would you say that sophisticated literature isn't good if it doesn't sell?
I literally said speaking purely from a business perspective. Thanks for the straw man. I feel like we've been over this repeatedly, when it comes to skill and who we like, me and Teran do not think Cena is the best. Market wise though? God tier.

I mean here is the exact ****ing line:

I feel like it's already been stated that Teran is speaking purely from a business perspective.
I'm saying Teran is talking about which wrestlers are the best FOR BUSINESS. NOTHING ELSE. Which was blatantly obvious, but you made that little remark anyway for no ****ing reason, then went on to say "it's good but in a different sense". Wow, good for you, arguing a point that we never made. Ever. Literally never ever forever did we say BEST OF EVERYTHING EVER. SELL TICKETS OR WE HATE YOU. You know I like Tyson Kidd more than Cena right? Oh wait can't do that, he doesn't sell out seats, stupid me, failing at my own logic that Dre has made up so he can address Teran and me on a point we never ****ing made.

Admit your reading comprehension just ****ed you in the *** right there or I'm going to stop responding to you outside of making snide remarks towards your weak attempts at debating.

Mickey. Mouse. ****.

EDIT-inb4 "lol flacon y u so mad bout wrestlin bro is not starving african babies."

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
No, what I originally commented on was people who thought the Austins were genuinely talented and different from the Cenas.

Teran gave me the impression that he believes in that distinction. My point was that Austin and the like are like Cena, just marketing and not exceptional talent.

Teran- I prefer Austin over HHH because Austin is energetic and actually sells move decently. However, I don't think he's particularly technical. He's technical by the American standard, but he's got nothing on Mexican wrestlers. Again, you have to ask himself what can he do that other wrestlers can't.

I don't want to meatride Mexican wrestling too much but they are way more technical in that they can do things that require a level of precision that most American wrestlers can't achieve.

'Technical' in America is more of an angle than an actual skill trait. In America you're considered technical if you use like 3 different suplexes, which any competent wrestler can do.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
>Mexican wrestling
>Technical
>Not just circus flippy ****

Okay, we're done here.

And no, you're considered technical based on your mat grappling.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Lol what, you mean that pointless grappling crap they do at the start of the match that has no outcome on the result and takes up like 5% of the match?

Any wrestler can do grappling stuff when the opponent is letting you do it. I'd like to see 90% of the WWE roster do the 'circus flippy ****' the Mexicans do.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Lol what, you mean that pointless grappling crap they do at the start of the match that has no outcome on the result and takes up like 5% of the match?

Any wrestler can do grappling stuff when the opponent is letting you do it. I'd like to see 90% of the WWE roster do the 'circus flippy ****' the Mexicans do.

Muy bueni

Oh look I botched my native tongue LOL

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So it is that crap at the start.

I think it's funny how they do that stuff to try have some resemblance to actual wrestling.

Edit- I'm over this debate now so I'm not going to continue arguing. I understand it's unfair to just end discussion after you've had your say, so you or Falcon can have one last crack at me if you feel like it.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Nostalgia is like a ****ing drug...but the idea of only regarding games they played when they were younger as the very best is something I've opposed. I had never played Zelda as a child, my friend turned me onto Wind Waker and I didn't get past the third temple without getting bored of it. Then in 2006 I decided to try out OoT for the first time and I didn't even get past the web in the Deku tree before quitting. I felt like it was overrated so I didn't bother trying to get past that but something clicked and I decied to try it out again...Zelda is my favorite series right now. OoT turned into an instant classic and I went back to Wind Waker and now I've beaten TP, SS, MM and MC as well not to mention I'm looking to buy LttP. I love Zelda, like crazy in love and people have told me it's all nostalgia and I only like it because I played it as a child but I just bring up the fact that I played OoT for the first time in 2006 and I love it more than most people who bought it back when it came out.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
So it is that crap at the start.

I think it's funny how they do that stuff to try have some resemblance to actual wrestling.

Edit- I'm over this debate now so I'm not going to continue arguing. I understand it's unfair to just end discussion after you've had your say, so you or Falcon can have one last crack at me if you feel like it.

No it's fine, there's no need to drag this out I think the one thing we can agree on here is that this has gone on long enough.

Well, I'm speaking for myself, I'm not Falcon so it's up to him whether he wants to continue.

Top Bottom