• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Analysing the power of Pika psychology - Updated 17 Nov 2008 - Read top. Loading...

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Well, it IS the moderator's choice to sticky a topic or not you know, and I don't think they take requests. I would love it if this were stickied as then I wouldn't have to bump it every once in a while, but who am I to order moderators?
With the updates secion idea, well I guess maybe when I fell up to it. By the way, do ya like my new videos?

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
they aren't really new videos lol based on their added date, but yeah definitely helpful to get a clear idea of what pikachu can do

and you can always PM a mod and ask for a sticky, or put like STICKY REQUESTED or something in the title, idk, it was just an idea to prevent you from spamming you're own thread that's all

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Wow my thunder invincibility video from so long ago is here :0 the only reason I discovered it is cause I wanted to make a cool pic of Ike and Pikachu together.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Well Ussi, it was a very interesting video so I decided to add it.
I guess I misled you with my topic title then. By "new" videos I meant newly added to this topic not newly made or added to youtube.

EDIT: Yay, sticky!
And come on guys, contribute and further Pika's game!

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
The part about Pikachu having invincibility frames with Thunder is definitely true/confirmed. To see for yourself, go into training mode, spawn a buttload of Blast Boxes, then use Thunder twice on the nearest one.

I frequently use it on Wi-Fi to detonate Blast Boxes that spawn in items matches (if there are no fire-users around) and to detonate stage explosives (such as bomb blocks in Green Greens)

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
you should have something about the QAL or footstool combos here, those are handy, videos anyway

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys thanks for the contributions.

Muhznit - Thank you, I will now update that as true

Stealth - That would be great, I was hoping you would make the thunder videos as I have seen you use them very well. Also, after watching a few videos of yourself, I think there should be a section on grabs only, not just pivot grabs, but I'm not sure.

Piman and ESAM - I will need to investigate the mental effect of those mooves first, but if I can't add it to the guide, I will add the video as an extra and thanks for the help.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
grabs are very important. and for the vids, do you want one vid with everything on it, or seperate vids for each one? do you want vids of them being used against opponents or just demonstrations?

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
I think one vid with everything in it would be great, as long as you can add a label to each move so we know what you are demonstrating. And you can show them being used against opponents or demonstrations, I don't mind. i would prefer opponents if you could though.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
All right. I'll add your vid now. It's very nice. Especially since I saw it before :p
And good luck getting an opponent to "accidentally" get knocked into it and "mindgame them successfully.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I wonder when 5ive will be done with his pikachu tutorial, it would be one of the best videos you could put up.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
I really wonder what's happened with 5ive's tutorial, actually. I PMed him a little while ago and still no response.
Anyway, I'm wondering which section to write at the end of this wekk as I'm quite busy right now.

EDIT: To avoid double posting I will say that we are now finishing up a term, so work on this guide can recommence! Yay! So 5ive's video has been unheard of for a while, and Stealth's video, unless he is at it right now, is also unknown.

neji32

Smash Lord
do i have to provide a video of when skull bash is better than QAC? cause i cant
But the only time i can think of when skull bashing is good is when the opponent has low priority on the feild but is close to youi. Or you QAC towards them and skullbash, QAC back and forth to mindgame them then skull bash and then QAL to skull bash(though thunder is better) but i dont have time to go in detail of it

krehz

Smash Ace
skull bash is good if you jump high skull bash away, then skullbash towards them, just dont over do it.....

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Stealth, I don't mind you doing that at all. But have you got any estimations on when you could perhaps get it done? I just want to know, but I'm keeping the title like that.
Neji, you don't have to provide a video of that, any video that has something special about it (such as Stealth's Thunder+Nair combo or a 0-death combo perhaps will happily be taken and added.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
A video where someone uses tjolt and then QACs in front of the tjolt, hits the enemy once then lets the tjolt hit the enemy.
Wish granted. Skip to about 1:11 to see me do it.

I pull off a few other crazy things in there, (I KO'd with the skull bash; I wanted them to think I was going to sweet-spot the ledge. I Pikaslid into an F-Smash, and accidently performed a completely useless trick with Thunder)

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
I think that there needs to be a section in for the Pikaslide, Quadruple Thunder (small mention), and Reverse Thunder :)

Oh, and maybe a section for trying to get up from the ledge, since Pika has various ways of getting up

1) Press up while hanging to the ledge and Thunder
2) QA through the opponent from the ledge
3) Jump + Thunderjolt
4) Press over (towards the stage) while on the ledge for a quick recovery...etc.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I think that there needs to be a section in for the Pikaslide, Quadruple Thunder (small mention), and Reverse Thunder :)

Oh, and maybe a section for trying to get up from the ledge, since Pika has various ways of getting up

1) Press up while hanging to the ledge and Thunder
2) QA through the opponent from the ledge
3) Jump + Thunderjolt
4) Press over (towards the stage) while on the ledge for a quick recovery...etc.
The d-tilt slide isn't a significant enough tactic to need its own section. Reverse thunder and quadruple thunder (even though that's nearly impossible) can go in the thunder section. Ledge-options are basic knowledge, especially #4.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Muhznit, I'll update my first post soon and add your video and you as part of the credits section.

Spark, I understand that you feel there is mindgaming involved in getting up from the ledge, but it is just one of those things that has to be known by all . Ex: you always ledge attack. Your adaptive opponent then shield grabs you every time you do it. You get grabbed a few times, then learn to switch tactics. I'm sorry, but it will take more of a strong argument to get me to put that in.
About the Pikasliding tactics, I'll have to think about them because while it is useful, this tactic is really very small, won't be used much and is easy to see coming. Pending further judgement.

brightnocturn

Smash Rookie
i like this thread :) really helps me to annoy the hell out of my friends : D that quick attack lock is pretty hard to keep up though >.< oh and i've yet to try the down taunt dodging, but i seriously need to try it :D

brightnocturn

Smash Rookie
Yay finally a post here! The down taunt dodge is more of a joke :) don';t do it in a tourney. Or die!
Anyway, thanks for the compliment
hehe, i think i have enough sense not to do it in a tourney, key-word on annoying my friends :)

still... imagine the the effect on an opponent's mind if someone DID manage to do it in a tourney :D

krehz

Smash Ace
lol down taunt dodging is fun, if u are playing a fox or falco, then u could do it when they shoot thier guns lol

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to contribute a few sections on how to vary Pikachu's approach.

Now, Anther is the king of varied approaches, and all of this is stuff that he does regularly, so none of the credit really goes to me.

Pikachu, IMO, has the best, most versatile approach in the game.

One thing that makes it so good is that he doesn't feel floaty. Play Luigi, G&W, or even MK and you'll notice that Pikachu's short hop is actually short and his fast fall is actually fast. This is one of the major keys to Pikachu's approach - being so very fast.

The second thing about his approach that its many, many times more useful than anyone else's approach. This is because they lead into Pika-combos (they aren't real combos, but they're pretty close). Fast falled fair to (grab, usmash, utilt, etc) is a good example, but often a dsmash leads to a thunder, an upair leads to a fair (which leads to an uptilt...) etc. Don't even mention how much damage a grab can mean. How many other characters can string together attacks as easily?

Now, to the approaches themselves. Lets start with the standard approach:

--- full hop fast falled fair ---
This is a great approach because pika's fast fall is fast enough that it becomes hard(er) to time the shield grab, and the full hop allows you to space it correctly so that you land behind the opponent. This is also a great approach because it leads to grabs or combos and has so many variants that can really screw with an opponent's head. I'll list a few below:
---full hop fast fall dsmash---
This is a great counter to the shield grab. The opponent is expecting you to ffair and wants to grab you - throw this in. You can replace dsmash with grab, uptilt, upsmash, a spaced fsmash, a spaced thunderjolt, a neutral air, etc for even more variety. Dsmash and grab are most effective though because the opponent is most likely shielding.
---full hop fast fall airdodge---
if the opponent likes to attack you while you're coming down, or if you want added safety, throw this in. Its great because right after you fast fall and airdodge, you become invincible at about the range of a short hop. After you land you can do anything above. Watch out for pesky MKs or Robs who like to sit in their shields and punish everything with a dsmash.
---full hop fast fall full hop---
this is from the melee days, and it still works wonders. I don't have much to say here except try it out if you've never done it before.
---full hop QAC reset ---
full hopped into a bad position? QAC to reset it! throw in a thunderjolt afterwards for kicks.

Now that's for the full hop. I know lots of Pika players still live on the short hop - its alright, I have mindgames for you too. The short hop has 2 very great properties - the fast fall is VERY fast, and autocancelling works. I don't recommend autocancelling because it slows down your approach and makes you more predictable to be punished, but mindgames make up for it.

---sh ffair---
Ah, the short hop. Once a staple in the smash community, now it is too slow to be spammed thoughtlessly. Everyone and their swords have forward smashes which just eat through these approaches, and grabs are too easy to time. Its not dead yet, though. sh ffair is still a very effective approach if combined with the following mindgames below:
---sh fast fall dash --- *circle dashing*
The best use of this is to space it so that you sh, fast fall (just out of grab reach), and dash grab them. This is very fun to do.
---sh fast fall dsmash---
again, this shouldn't go to waste.
---sh airdodge---
This is somewhat slow, so I wouldn't recommend pulling it out unless your opponent has a tendency to attack through your approach in stead of shield it. Master the timing of this so that you can dsmash or dash grab as soon as you hit the ground.
---sh QAC---
At the peak of your sh, your horizontal QAC should still go through most taller opponents. This is a great way to poke at the enemy or just fly around his head until he gets pissed off and starts smashing randomly in different directions.

Finally, we have the ground approach. The best ground approach is a dash grab, but because of the properties of the shield, we can abuse it to pull out more mindgames. The ground approach can also be mixed up with the short hop or full hop approaches at any time.

--- dash grab---
You'd be surprised how effective this sometimes is. Just run in and grab them. Easy, right?
--- dash shield---
You'd sometimes see this in high level melee play back in the day. Dash until you're right outside grab reach and put up your shield. You can then do several things:
a) dash grab
The shield drop timing is short, so abuse it. Drop your shield, and dash grab.
b) sh hop ffair
If you think he's going to whiff a grab, this is a perfect counter.
c) fsmash
if you're in range, it is also a good counter to a whiffed grab. If you're slightly farther away, its a good counter to opponents who try to dash (or mortar slide) into you.
d) full hop thunder jolt
This is actually deserves its own section as an approach because it is awesome.

---full hop thunder jolt---
This is a great tool against aggressive opponents. The minute they move in on you, throw this in their face. If you haven't been spamming it all game, it really messes up their rhythm.
Thunderjolt works best when you're about a platform length or 2 away from your opponent. At this distance, both you and your opponent are sitting around wondering who's going to approach first. Try full hop thunderjolting. Chances are your opponent has just decided to move in to attack you and receives a face full of awesome projectile. Feel free to follow up with a dsmash or grab.

That's about all of my approach variation mindgames. Pikachu has the best approach in the game and should be abused readily. One more thing I'd like to add -

---Don't QAC nair for a standard approach!---
QAC nair is NOT a good approach because it is defeated by shield camping. All of the approaches above actually do well against shields - this one doesn't. QACing works well well if you 'poke' them continually while staying beyond their reach, but it shouldn't be used as an approach as much. Throw it in every once in a while if your opponent doesn't shield very well - it looks good on combo videos. :p

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
ANNOUNCEMENT:
Just dropping in to leave a quick message guys - you may have noticed that I used to update about once a week yet I have not updated for a long time nor been on these forums. This is because I have a few hefty exams to study for, but I will soon be able to come back and be active.

Zylar

Smash Ace
Only twice I have won the match because of purely mindgame reasons.

Thunder Invincibilty frames vs Snake, and crouching vs Pit.
Vs snake, my invincibility saved me from a suicidal snake, many explosions at high percentages.
Vs pit, I'd accidentally crouch before Pit's SideB because I was trying to DI down left/right once hit. But then once I started doing that, whenever he used SideB I was allways crouching just a hair away from his attack. (It blew his mind , mine too, put I won!!!)

I don't think they really count tho. The first isn't that useful and the second can be seen/punished fairly easily.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
This is an amazing guide, ill be referring to it for the use of the QaC videos.

Top Bottom