• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Analysing the power of Pika psychology - Updated 17 Nov 2008 - Read top. Loading...

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Latest News:
Okay this update is just gonna be on top because I'm only dropping in for a little while. As I said in a post a little while ago, I have and will be busy due to some piano exams along with end of year exams. They finish Friday next week. It's Monday 9:14 PM as I write this, so do the math.
I have a lot to do as soon as I get back, including possibly implementing an idea I had a little while ago, which was "Where are we now - Analysing Pika metagame tactics". This would be a biweekly to monthly article focusing on a part of Pikachu's metagame, how to use it, when to use, and upcoming tests for it. Eventually I would finish, but that is of no consequence. Anyone is welcome to jump on board and help out with things such as testing new ideas and gathering facts and posting them to me. (Hint: First issue will be about QAC *nudge*) Oh, and if anyone decides to take this idea while I'm busy for the next two weeks and use it, shoot them. Or I will do it. Personally. Plagiarism isn't cool, okay?
I am also posting another topic today, so watch out for it. Especially the newer users on this board. If that wasn't a hint I don't know what is. If you have any comments or ideas feel free to post them in this topic too.
Peregrinus Falconidae,
Signing off

So the most recent update was a small picture revamp and the addition of a very amusing third part to the section on taunting. I advise you to check it out for a bit of fun and humour if you have the time. Who knows, maybe the technique might be employed at a tourney someday, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. In other recent news:

So Stealth's video is STILL in the works, but I have some interesting new content for you.
First up is a video of a new Quick Attack technique which has only recently been discovered, and already just scratching the surface we can immediately see that it has a lot of mindgaming potential. Basically you can use QA to go through a certain section of FD. The Video is HERE.
Expect a section on it in the next 72 hours as of this update.
Secondly we now have a new video which features a mindgaming technique mentioned later in the guide, Thunderjolt and then QAC in front of it. Go to 1:11 of This Video and continue watching for a few seconds.
Both videos will be added to their respective section, but I'm leaving them here so they are easier to find.
On another note, I updated my Introduction with some work I have been examining lately. Tell me what you think of it!

By the way, I've noticed many people stating that they are having difficulty employing some of the techniques or ideas in this guide. If that is the case, you can post in this guide and I or the many people who frequent these boards would be happy to help.

Imagine how Snake must feel about Pika rolling on the floor laughing at his feeble attempt to use a Nikita

Introduction
"One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War (Chapter 1 Paragraph 18)​

In this guide, we will, as summarised so succinctly by Sun Tzu, analyse the power of mindgames and how they can affect the outcome of a battle, or even, "seizing the enemy without fighting", in using mindgames to help win a battle with minimal conflict and in relative safety.
This is not strictly limited to Pikachu, but any techniques that really only affect Pikachu and a few others will also be put here, and that is the only reason that this guide will be here rather than the tactical discussion.

Contents
- Changing up your Pika game
- The mindgames of Thunder
- The effects of QAC on an opponent's mind
- Thunder Jolt's confusing stratagems
- Skullbash instead of Quick Attack?
- Grabbing to corrupt an opponent's game
- The power of Down Smash on the tempo of a match
- The taunting mindset
- Establishing control over your opponent

- Videos

Changing up your Pika game
Is your playstyle with Pikachu getting boring? Same old approach every time? Using Dsmash or aerials too much? NOT using aerials enough?
Try playing a different character with strengths similar to Pikachu but different approaches, for example, because when you go back to Pikachu you will find that you are using different methods of getting to your opponent and hitting them, and so forth. Why is this so effective? Because most good Pikas will have learned their generic approaches and moves, but with other character's techniques you are then confusing your opponent because they simply cannot comprehend your different style.
There are two ways I have thought of as of yet to use this. The first is to mix up your game with these new techniques from the word go, hammering at your opponent in a blitzing flurry of blows that raises their percentage exponetially, leading to the kill. The other, and probably more psychologically shocking, is to switch your playstyle midway through a game. This can be effective if used at the right time, surprising them long enough to net you at least a stock. The key to this technique then is learning when to apply it and learning good times to use this.

The mindgames of Thunder
Pikachu's Thunder is a very good attack. It is a long lasting projectile which comes down from the sky, making it very useful for star KOs and Edgeguarding. It can also be used as a mindgame tool. My next few uses of thunder will be numbered.
1. You use thunder jolt and the opponent jumps over that, and you get them with an aerial as they jump, they may try to jump higher next time. In this case, you get under them as they jump to approach, then use thunder. They may then take the hit if they didn't expect it, but most other players will airdodge. Timing this properly you can draw out their airdodge and then send them straight back into the air with another attack such as utilt. They may then decide to shield your next thunder jolts, but if you can qac over to them or get to them in time you get a free grab. In this way you are using thunder to zone out aerial assaults.
2. When edgeguarding you can do a number of things to most recovering characters. You can thunder them, double thunder them or even triple thunder them. If the opponent doesn't know what to expect how can they time a safe recovery? For example, midway through a match you jump out and thunder as you have before. You have used both the double thunder and the triple thunder to edgeguard before, and so you're opponent doesn't know what to expect. Do they wait after you do your second thunder, expecting a third one, don't get it then realise they are too low? Do they try to recover after your second thunder hoping that you don't thunder again and risk getting KOd? This can lead to indecision in many, and indecision wastes time. With time passing they may have fallen too low to recover anyway. This technique obviously only works on certain characters' recoveries.
3. Sometimes when jumping into the air, you can use Thunder to stop your fall for a moment. This is often used to intercept and enemy coming for you, but can also be used instead of an airdodge to throw off an opponent's timing as they wait for you to come down. If you can fastfall after getting hit by your own Thunder, your opponents often misjudge you and whiff their attacks, letting you get in an easy Dair or Thunder on them. This, combined with a normal airdodge fall and falling normally can really confuse your opponents when they try to intercept your aerials and juggling you, and this confusion can often be the reason why you survive a juggle or get free damage on your opponent from the air after applying this technique.

The effects of QAC on an opponent's mind
When you QAC, you use your float from the Quick Attack hitting the ground to let off an attack. QAC has a few mindgaming uses too, and these can be applied with the other techniques to catch an opponent.
1. The most common use for the QAC is to get close to an opponent, attack them, and get away. This means that though Pika may have an average sized hitting range, it will feel like the range of Quick Attack because you use quick attack to get there and strike. This makes the opponent feel very unsafe and defensive within this range, which can be exploited. For example, when you get within Quick Attack range your opponent may get very jumpy and react to every tiny little thing by defending or running away. You can then walk over to them or QAC there, but you can always QAC even when walking and so the opponent will be under a lot of mental pressure as they try to not get caught by shielding, rolling or running. This can lead to easy grabs or powerful hits if you time your approach well enough.
2. Using QAC in one place can be used as a pseudo taunt; it annoys them and you can also attack out of it. The thing is, though, seeing you do this can really make your opponent want to hurt you, making them more aggressive and easier to punish if you are attentive. The reason why this is so effective is because it is safe. With a QAC, you can attack if need be or QAC to safety. Therefore there is no reason not to use this at least a few times a match.

Thunder Jolt's confusing stratagems
Thunder Jolt is a very useful projectile which can be used for both stage control and mindgames.
1. When using thunder jolt, you are using a projectile with an annoying movement pattern and an opponent’s only options are to jump over it or shield it if they are approaching. If you can predict what they are going to do and punish with an aerial or grab you have then zoned them out of that tactic, and they likely won’t be using it again, meaning you have effectively closed off one option and so have easy punishing of the other option for a little whaile until they realise that they have been tricked into playing to your advantage and mix it up. The key then is to abuse yoiur opponent’s fear of using one of their tactics to avoid thunder jolt while it lasts to rack up damage because no one, no matter how good, is unaffected by this property, and the only difference between a master and an average player is how long they are caught in the defensive lethargy.
2. Thunder jolt can be used as a projectile for edgeguarding very well too. When you use it after jumping it will fly in a straight trajectory diagonally downward and can often hit recovering enemies who are out of range of thunder. You should then follow this up with thunder. While it may not affect the recovery of your opponents very much, it is essentially free damage and free damage over the edge makes the opponent rush to come back onto the stage to avoid it, often resulting in free Thunder kills.
3. When you use Thunder jolt on the ground, it is possible to QAC in front or behind it just a little with correct timing. If you QAC behind it the opponent will have to avoid the Jolt or take damage, and you can use this to your advantage every once in a while to set up combos or free damage. If you QAC in front of it you can attack the opponent or stun them long enough to get hit by the Jolt, which gives you ample time to net yourself some free damage, combos, or even set up easy KOs. This is definitely a tactic to be used at least a few times every match in conjunction with switching up your game, as it is a very powerful and useful technique on an opponent. See credits section.

Skullbash instead of Quick Attack?
Coming soon.

Grabbing to corrupt an opponent's game
Coming soon.

The power of Down Smash on the tempo of a match

I was writing this and almost finished it, but then Kitamerby beat me to the punch and wrote his own version, which is perfectly concise and adequate for this guide.
Enjoy, and I may add my own version underneath, but only maybe.
At first glance, Pikachu's Dsmash seems to be an extremely effective move. It's a multi-hit move that can rack up lots of damage really fast, and has high knockback at the end to boot! However, on closer inspection, it can be DI'd out of extremely easily, thus negating most of the damage and all of the knockback. This makes it seem like one of the most worthless moves in Pikachu's arsenal, from an efficiency standpoint.

So what do you think about it? Do you use it?

Personally, I love using it as a mindgame. I used to fight scrub Pikachus all the time on WiFi. Whenever they Dsmashed, they expected me to hold still and get hit like they do, but instead I DI'd out of it, laughing at their stupidity. However, they kept doing Dsmash, and I kept DI'ing out of it, and eventually I got sick of constantly changing my flow to rapidly mash up on the control stick to frantically get out of that move. It got really old really fast, and it became EXTREMELY annoying.

In other words, it became a true Pikachu move. Yanno those people who franticallly try to break out whenever grabbed, and they usually end up screwing themselves over when they end up DI'ing wrong because of their button mashing and end up losing their groove at the same time? Dsmash does the same thing to their psychological state. By forcing them to instantly switch from attacking to frantically mashing their way out of a move, you throw off their mental "groove" and they have to regain it all over again. I found out that by throwing someone off their groove, you eventually begin to start annoying the crap out of them. As Pikachu mains, you all know what happens once someone starts playing when they're annoyed, right? It's a free win!

I dsmash all the time now whenever I feel as if there isn't enough time to set up a move that can be actually followed up. It resets the playing field while at the same time annoying the crap out of them, and has thus become a key move in my arsenal of annoying tactics. :D
The taunting mindset
1. During a serious match with a human player a sadistic or unbelievably annoying taunt ("Pika Pikaaa!"; "You're too slooow!"; etc.) followed by (on wifi) an irritating or mocking comment after landing some good hits can usually lead the other player into wanting to hurt you, if only to taunt back at you. They become more aggressive then, and an attentive player can then punish careless mistakes easier.
2. When you taunt, you are vulnerable for a little, and this can lead the opponent into rushing at you hoping for a free hit. Some taunts, however, are quick and let you retaliate easily, and so taunting can be used to bait the other player into landing a punishable attack every so often in a match, which can be quite useful, but not very practical if used more than, say, 2-3 times.
3. This is VERY situational, hard to pull off and DANGEROUS, but kudos to you if you can pull it off - this will really mess with an opponent, and should be attempted with caution. There are a handful of moves out there which can be avoided with a simple crawl from Pika. With VERY careful spacing, a rather more dangerous technique can be used: one can use Pika's down taunt, which has him rolling on his back on the floor with very good timing (see first picture in guide. Obviously this wouldn't work in real life against a Snake as they could drop the Nikita on you, but the picture shows the basic concept). If done properly, you will avoid the attack and get back up before the opponent has the chance to retaliate. Now, you can imagine the thoughts rolling through one's head after this has happened to them:
- Wtf how? He didn't even dodge!
- OMG! Did he just TAUNT and DODGE my attack at the same time?
- WHAAAAAT? I'm gonna get him for THAT!
From those simple examples, you can already picture how much this would enrage your opponent, as they are unable to believe your mocking of them. Many will go into an aggressive frenzy, throwing attacks left and right without heed, and that is your cue to punish. A small minority will simply attempt to shrug it off, but the simple fact that you had the nerve to do such a thing will make them lose much confidence and play very defensively - also your cue to punish. So we can see that this is a technique that is really very dangerous, situational, hard to pull off and very impractical as you will probably not be able to pull it off, but one of those days when you're just trying to have some fun, I dare you to pull it out. The look on your opponent''s face and the smug satisfaction you get will be more than enough of a reward.

Establishing control over your opponent
The opening sequence of a match is often the most important in the game. Often it is said that a match is won at the beginning of it by how two adversaries gain a mindset and view of each other. If one fears the other they are already on the back foot because they will play defensively, limiting their attacks and causing them to let opportunities pass. If, however, you are the one who dictates the match, you have already won half the match. The other half is keeping control of it.
1. If, for example you begin a battle with a flurry of accurate blows, you immediately shock the opponent and cause them to focus on getting out of this storm of attacks coming at them. Then, they are on the back foot playing defensive until you let off, but the effect will last for a little on every opponent, the only difference is how long it lasts for. On a strong-willed, charismatic individual it can wear away quite quickly while a self-doubting opponent will often be dogged by his feeling of fear for a while. The point is, however, that the essence of shock will always last on an opponent and during this leeway your goal should be to punish their mistakes and rack up damage fast for the kill.
2. If you open with a few powerful blows you are communicating to your opponent that you want to get rid of them quickly. This often leads to them trying to play cat and mouse with you, coming in and trying to rack up damage quickly, because they automatically assume you have little experience, otherwise you would attack them normally, right? But no. with the proper technique, this can be used to your advantage. When you suddenly switch from boring, powerful and unimaginitive moves into a series of combos, you surprise them, much like in the first method. the key then is to rack up damage for a kill just like in point one, but to remember to go back into normal play when they begin to rally and fight back.

Videos - Some of these videos are not strictly related to this idea of mindgaming but show how to perform the moves and/or are interesting in general.

Quick Attack Cancel Tactics - A video showing how you can use the Quick Attack Cancel in a battle to get the edge over your opponent in speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sySJK0B_VZU&feature=related

Pikachu Footstool and Quick Attack Lock Combo - A video showing how to footstool an opponent into the ground and then Quick attack lock him to a high percentage and finish him off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2PPUh5if2U

Pikachu's Thunder Invincibility - A video showing that when timed right Pikachu is invincible after using Thunder, hitting through the Ike's SAF and taking no damage from Eruption. Verified as true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU_qnFJDU-E

Pikachu's QA through Final Destination - A video showing a new technique which was only recently discovered where Pikachu uses QA through FD. Very interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Tx8qyJaBw

An interesting Thunder-nair kill - A nice video to watch, but the end is most important, as the Thunder hits more than once and keeps the opponent in place for a nair kill. Not strictly psychological, but helpful for thunder tactics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cY3TzCgRmY

Pikachu Target Smash level 5! - Seems like an odd video to include, but it really shows combining moves like Quick Attack and Skullbash with Thunder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvo_MNWXQyI

Ideas checklist and errors to fix
A list for me to store your ideas and corrections until I edit my work:
1. Add section on grabbing mindgames
2. Add skullbash section

Credits
To give recognition to those who contributed to this topic.
Galax1117 - Excellent help with my ideas, and offering of the Tjolt + QAC mindgame
Rollerking540 - For Offering an idea on using Thunder as an unpredictable falling tactic.
Stealth Raptor - Inspiration for the grabs and thunder sections, and hopefully for contributing a thunder video soon? Hm?
Kitamerby - Writing a perfect, concise explanation on the power of down smash before I finished mine, so I quoted him.
ESAM - Excellent suggestions, and the contribution of the Pikachu footstool and QAL video.
Ussi - Interesting discovery and video of Pikachu's Thunder invincibility frames.
bowz - Interesting discovery of Pika's ability to QA through FD and video.

Contribute - Please Help!
Okay, I would like a few people yo make a few concise videos detailing what I mean. they can be done in training mode on a stationary CPU, as long as the move is done well. I'm only requesting this because I can't make the videos myself. Please post the links here when you're done, and don't direct me to a long video as I need concise ones. I need:
1. A video showing using thunder to edgeguard, needs to show single thunder, double thunder and triple thunder. NOTE: MOST IMPORTANT VIDEO! CONTRIBUTION NECESSARY!
2. A video where someone uses tjolt and then QACs in front of the tjolt, hits the enemy once then lets the tjolt hit the enemy.
3. A video showing qacing in one place then qacing to safety and qacing into an attack.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
nice start you should def. add more, or maybe get together with 5ive and do something with his tutorial video, that would be sweet!

gallax

Smash Hero
if you want i can make a link to this guide when its done in my matchup guide. which btw i have been a little busy lately so sorry guys for making you wait for next weeks character. i still have to finish ROB and snake and G&W matchups. its gonns take me about 3 hours a piece but im gonna take this weekend to try and finish most of it.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
First update guys: "The mindgames of Thunder" added, and numerous grammatical errors fixed.

Thanks for the positive response guys, and any suggestions on what else to include will be appreciated.

Galax, it would be great if you could add this link to your topic as this guide probably won't be stickied.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
Good ideas - I like how this strategy guide tries to capture mindsets instead of methodology.

A couple of things to add-

for the taunt section.
QACing into the ground in place repeatedly is a very good taunt, as it is moveable, cancellable, and hella annoying.

Thunder - QAC into thunder is the best to do it if you're good at spacing the QAC. This is because the opponent can react to your running, but can't react to your hovering in the air (not as well, and not as fast). You can also QAC multiple times or in multiple directions to get into a good position/mindgame it.

gallax

Smash Hero
oh im gonna read it and definately put a link to it. but thats because you've helped with the matchup threads. keep up the good work!!!!

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Thanks galax. I'll be helping with your matchup threads soon.
By the way if you get into discussions concernning my secondaries, hit me up and I'll be glad to contribute.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
instead of putting the updates here in the thread, you should make like a "under construction" section where you put your ideas for future sections and cross them off as you go, or something like that just my 2 cents

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
wow this is worth reading. I'll be reading it again soon ;D Pikachu has the ability to annoy with his jolt/voice/QAC. Leading to aggrivaton.

Roller

Smash Legend
I use thunder a lot by jumping or double jumping, then use it to bring me to a stop in the air. This allows me to come out in one of several ways,

Fast falling fair into a U/Dsmash if they are close. (In all the times I have used this, the opponents almost NEVER get the timing right to use an upsmash when you are falling, gets them everytime, if you feel they are starting to adjust though you could always throw them off with a dair.)

aerial jolt while drifting down towards/away from them if they are far.

QuACing either into them or into an attack right in front of them.

Simply landing while doing nothing (a bluff) to throw them off.

It is one of the important elements to my style of play and think it may be worth mentioning.

Just my $0.02

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
I use thunder a lot by jumping or double jumping, then use it to bring me to a stop in the air. This allows me to come out in one of several ways,

Fast falling fair into a U/Dsmash if they are close. (In all the times I have used this, the opponents almost NEVER get the timing right to use an upsmash when you are falling, gets them everytime, if you feel they are starting to adjust though you could always throw them off with a dair.)

It is one of the important elements to my style of play and think it may be worth mentioning.

Just my $0.02
Good idea, I do this sometimes too but usually unintentionally lol, but I was thinking another use out of this would be an air dodge to counter any attack they would have prepared for you...this works well if you time it so you get a lagless landing, and avoid an attack too :)

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE: "Establishing control over your opponent" added! I will possibly add a new section in the nxt few hours, please check!

rollerking, I will add your idea soon and add your name to my credits page, and thank you for contributing to this guide.
Piman, the reason I do this is it serves as pseudo-advertising, garnering interest and bringing this topic back to the top. But I thank you for yours and rollerking's two cents. I now have $0.04!

reimeii

Smash Apprentice

Just my $0.02
i tend to do that quite a bit myself....but not the bluffff. i dont think anyone has fallin for the bluff against me

but about quick attack.....
on wifi ive noticed that if you QA through the opponent then back to your original position, the opponent tends to attack in the wrong direction (almost like the effect of marios cape) often this give me an opportunity to run behind them with a usmash (human player not cpu......they wont fall for it)

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot for that galax, and I'd like to mention that I have recently found inspiration for two new sections to this guide: One on Thunder Jolt and the other on Down Smash. I'm working on them now.

gallax

Smash Hero
sweet. i can add a few things about tjolt if you like. a few threads down(maybe on second page) go to an interesting aproach made by me and read it. something kool to put in.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I call the thunder edgegaurds xD. need a victim with which to record this with. How do you want me to record it? in snippets? upload it onto youtube and give you the link?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Um...5ive is making a pika video, and all that stuff is included in it. So you could just put his video in there once it is made.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Stealth, yeah, do it in snippets, but upload it as one short video. If you can't find a victim I'll gladly be one later.
Guys, the reason I'm asking for these videos is that you won't have to watch a long video to see them, making them more compact and efficient, and also more user friendly.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Well then. Stealth, are you going to make your videos?
And does anyone want to make the videos before bear gets his computer? Otherwise I'll leave bear to it.
Just a little contribution guys!
Also, idea for new section on skullash mindgames.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yo PF, 5ive's video should be sufficient to what you want.
Edit: It is impossible to QA in front of your T-jolt, i tried it. It will get there BARELY before you do, but before nontheless. 5ive's video will be long, but most of it is pika specific, with only some basics. It would be a great addition...

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Well galax has done it with qacing...
Anyway, I will add 5ive's video here, but I'm still looking for these short videos in case someone doesn't want to watch a long video just to see a few techniques.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
I'm tellin ya, you should really add an updates section to the first post, I know you like to bump it, but either request a sticky, or the people who are subscribed to it will know when you update, and you can even change the title to bump it, like saying what you updated with

Top Bottom