• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Analog stick or Y button?

Exile724

Smash Cadet
Well some people use the analog stick to jump in brawl some people use the Y/C/X button which do YOU use?

Personally I use the analog stick because it's easier and more usefull but thats just my opinion lets hear yours.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I use C (wiimote/nunchuk controls). I turn off tap jump - I just can't stand that function. Makes it more difficult to use up tilts properly. Never liked it in the previous games, and the ability to turn it off is a godsend if you ask me.

Zevox

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
I cant see how anyone prefers using the analog stick to another single button. Its almost impossible (well for me anyway) to make the transition from a dash to a jump using the analog stick. And when you do, you lose some momentum you were carrying from the dash

Also, once youre airbourne, its hard to use your second jump while moving in a certain direction. If youre moving left/right during a jump, using the analog stick to use your second jump requires you to move your thumb from the pushing-left/right position on the analog stick to pushing up, and then if you want to continue moving left/right afterwards, you have to revert your thumb back into the pushing-left/right position.

This, for me, is a lot harder than using completely seperate buttons for moving and jumping, e.g, analog stick for moving, Y button for jumping.

BetaWolf

Smash Apprentice
Down on the Wii remote's dpad. I rest my thumb half on the down button and half on the A button. I never have to lift a finger to play the game.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Only X/Y/Z(?) jump carries momentum. It took me 3 days to get used to it, but now I can finally shorthop u-airs and u-tilt without JUMPING AT THE MOST INOPPORTUNE MOMENTS.

Also, B-sticking ftw. You lose stutter stepping, but I don't use Sonic/C. Falcon enough to req. it.

Exile724

Smash Cadet
Why do you all use X instead of Y and you have all convinced me I need to stop using the analog stick xD.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I use the Classic Controller, but adjusted which button is used to jump. Through my control scheme, the a button is used to jump.

Exile724

Smash Cadet
I asked why do you guys use X instead of Y on my last post I'm curious :p

derpinsmash

Smash Cadet
I asked why do you guys use X instead of Y on my last post I'm curious :p
x just feels more natural to me. i honestly use both x and the analog stick though. In melee I also use y whenever im doing a wavedash and L for wavedashing and L-cancelling lol.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Y button
cause Tap jumping SUCKS
Ive HATED it in every smash game, so much, I never even DID Utitlts because I was afraid of that stupid Analog.
*grumble*
Being able to turn off Tap Jump almost outweighs tripping IMO

zapdose

Smash Apprentice
x just feels more natural to me. i honestly use both x and the analog stick though. In melee I also use y whenever im doing a wavedash and L for wavedashing and L-cancelling lol.
Haha, in Melee, I used X and R for wavedash and l-cancelling. Pretty funny how we used the exact opposite buttons.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
I jump with the start button.

By jump I mean pause the game, quit, and play melee.

Exile724

Smash Cadet
I now jump with the X button and sheild with the L button thanks for the help.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
I think I've posted this to defend analog jump users ... 15 times. Here's the breakdown, I learned how to play Melee not knowing any better using up as jump. If I could live my life over again, I would learn how to do it with X/Y. But I took this unorthodox setup and made it work. Here's what I, and others, can consistently do with analog jumping in Melee. I'm a C.Falcon/Fox main.

Short Hops (SHFFL), JC grabs (just slide up and Z) Complex ledge stalls (G&W Dair, Samus Nair, Fox Shine Laser Illusion ledgegrab) JC Shines (2 with Fox, 3+ with Falco) Fox SHDL(very easy), Marth SHDFair (very easy) Shine Bair with Fox (and of course Falco) Etc.
What I need Y for: Wavedashing, jumping out of Moonwalks

BTW if you can't Utilt in Melee you suck, period.
I still jump with up in Brawl, being as this is a slow and non technical game, nothing has challenged me yet in terms of jumping (rar is just as easy)

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
I have a weird custom set. i use x to jump however i dont always use it. i set the c-stick to jump as well so i can run at the enemy with the analog then tap the c-stick up really quick to do a short hop and attack with an airial attack.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
For some reason I use analog stick for first jump and then Y for second jump. Just a habit.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I turned tap jumping off when I first got the game. But then I realized I preferred to have it on cause I use it sometime to ledge stall or just when I've jumped over the ledge to attempt to gimp somebody, and I'm coming back.

Alou

Smash Cadet
I use C (wiimote/nunchuk controls). I turn off tap jump - I just can't stand that function. Makes it more difficult to use up tilts properly. Never liked it in the previous games, and the ability to turn it off is a godsend if you ask me.

Zevox
Read my mind have you?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I've always used analog stick to jump.

In melee I could waveshine, shorthop, DI, and everything else just fine with the control stick. Just takes some practice >.>

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
You gotta use the button to carry momentum. The End.
Only X/Y/Z(?) jump carries momentum.
Only the buttons allow you to jump full distances, analog takes away momentum from the jump, also makes short-hopping aerials a bit more difficult.
There's no dash jump momentum in Brawl.

If you think you can't jump as far using the stick as a button then you don't move the stick fast enough. >_>

Edit: I use X. So I'm not some stick elitist. But it irks me when people say that one control method is mechanically inferior when it's actually not.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Tap jumping is awesome.

It also conserves button-pressing time in your right to do other things.

Right now, I'm trying to get used to c-sticking more often so I can do stuff even faster.

Top Bottom