• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Outside of the BOX idea - Qbby for Smash Support Thread!

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
well well well. he may not be a dream friend (yet) but Qbby apparently does make a cameo in Kirby Star Allies. based on this image
Seeing as how Hal is putting Qbby in multiple places (Star Allies, their new mobile game, etc), it definitely seems they still care for him.

Honestly, it just feels like their teasing something. No mention of Qbby since the whole “To Be Continued” thing and Mukae mentioning his interest for BOXBOY! on Switch. It feels weird, and we all know that Smash is no stranger to obscure choices. And as I mentioned before, Hal is helping develop Smash Switch, so I think his chances are actually higher than what some people give him credit for.

His being a playable character isn’t gauranteed, but there’s no denying he’ll be in the game in some shape or form. (Trophy, assist trophy, cameo, or playable character.)

Fingers crossed~

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
oh yeah, I'm definitely confident he'll be in Smash in some form.
I hope for as a playable character.
but I'm certain we'll at least get a trophy of him :)

especially if HAL keeps putting him in things like they are.
there's definitely something going on with the way he keeps popping up and Mukae talking about him being on the switch.

I'd like to think of Qbby as a quiet dark horse. most people overlook him. but he may just come up and surprise them!

in other news. courtesy of Golden Icarus we have a support icon to include in our signatures!

I will add it to the Op

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
I would love to see Qbby in Smash (despite only having played the first Boxboy) so could you add me to the list of supporters?

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to think of Qbby as a quiet dark horse. most people overlook him. but he may just come up and surprise them!
Mhm
I can kind of already imagine the reveal trailer if it’s a direct.
Remember how when Bayonetta was revealed, Sakurai had said, “climax”? That was actually a hint as to who would be revealed since it’s a term in the game, so fans of the Bayonetta series knew who it was already.
I think maybe they’d do something similar, like a, “For Smash, we’ve been trying to think of really unique characters. And we think this character is really thinking outside of the box.”

in other news. courtesy of Golden Icarus we have a support icon to include in our signatures!
:O
That looks great!

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see Qbby in Smash (despite only having played the first Boxboy) so could you add me to the list of supporters?
Added, welcome to the supporters list! :)

Mhm
I can kind of already imagine the reveal trailer if it’s a direct.
Remember how when Bayonetta was revealed, Sakurai had said, “climax”? That was actually a hint as to who would be revealed since it’s a term in the game, so fans of the Bayonetta series knew who it was already.
I think maybe they’d do something similar, like a, “For Smash, we’ve been trying to think of really unique characters. And we think this character is really thinking outside of the box.”

:O
That looks great!
That's a clever idea. I could see them hinting at him like that before his proper reveal trailer. now the question would be. what would happen in the actual reveal trailer?

In other news. congrats to us for reaching our second page! let's hope we have way more by the time Qbby (hopefully) gets revealed for smash
Let's celebrate Qbby's growing popularity with another Boxboy comic

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am absolutely on board with this. Fighters should only get weirder and the BoxBoy games were great!!!!!!!!!

Count me in absolutely this just became my most hoped for

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am absolutely on board with this. Fighters should only get weirder and the BoxBoy games were great!!!!!!!!!

Count me in absolutely this just became my most hoped for
Awesome. always great when people see the potential of Qbby.
welcome to the supporters list.

feel free to share any ideas you have for how Qbby could work in smash :)

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
That's a clever idea. I could see them hinting at him like that before his proper reveal trailer. now the question would be. what would happen in the actual reveal trailer?
Well, I think it would depend. If before the trailer they don’t have any mention of Smash Brothers, and they just play it off like a regulae trailer, I think it’d go like this:

The “To Be Continued...?” screen is shown. After a few seconds, Qbby begins walking off that screen to the right.
It begins to show Qbby completing different puzzles. His different type of boxes are shown, a couple spikes, etc. Then, Qbby completes a level and is standing in front of the door. He does his little dance, gets some coins, and walks through the door.

The trailer then cuts to Mario, Link, Inklings, and Kirby fighting.
Qbby walks in through a door, and then looks around, confused. The characters notice him, and he noticed them. The four charge at Qbby, who performs a forward smash at them, knocking them out.

It then proceeds to have that montage of the character showcasing their moves and taunts.

If they revealed it was a Smash trailer, I think it would be a bit similar.
It would start as the same four characters fighting. Mario, who is in the middle of the stage, grabs Kirby and then throws him to the launch zone. However, before he gets launched off the stage, a wall of theee blocks stops him and saves Kirby.
Qbby jumps in and defends Kirby. (A sort of ‘new francise supporting the old’)

It then has the montage of moves and taunts.

Thoughts?

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I really like the idea of Qbby going through the door from the end of his stages and ending up in smash bros. that's a nice touch.
as is the idea of having him come to Kirby's aid.

You've got some pretty good ideas Drawcia. I'll try and come up with a smash trailer idea of my own too :)

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I like this thread, despite me not having any connection to the franchise, I do like his design. I'll admit. He does look as cute, if not cuter than Kirby himself.
I hope something can come out of him, whether it's an assist trophy, a regular trophy, maybe an easter egg or anything. As long as he's mentioned in the series. If he's an actual character, I would love to see him offer a unique moveset as a boxed cube. But who knows, anything is possible.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit. He does look as cute, if not cuter than Kirby himself.
I IS amazing how cute a white square with eyes and legs can be. HAL just has a talent for bringing out the cute in things.

I hope something can come out of him, whether it's an assist trophy, a regular trophy, maybe an easter egg or anything. As long as he's mentioned in the series. If he's an actual character, I would love to see him offer a unique moveset as a boxed cube. But who knows, anything is possible.
Yeah, anything is possible, and I'm confident Qbby will make an appearance in some capacity. especially with HAL potentially helping with the game. he'll be in there somewhere

Auroxen [sbvpXVII]

Smash Rookie
NNID
Simobros17
3DS FC
1118-0217-3683
I literally just finished playing Bye-Bye BoxBoy and I am surprised that I now want a CUBE in Smash Bros.
But yeah I would be very happy to see him in, I would love to see him as a fighter but if that's too much AT LEAST a stage would be very cool.
I really support this, I want to see him in the game, he could be very cool and despite the appearance he has potential for a cool moveset.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I literally just finished playing Bye-Bye BoxBoy and I am surprised that I now want a CUBE in Smash Bros.
But yeah I would be very happy to see him in, I would love to see him as a fighter but if that's too much AT LEAST a stage would be very cool.
I really support this, I want to see him in the game, he could be very cool and despite the appearance he has potential for a cool moveset.
Exactly, some people just seem to write him off because "he's a cube" but if they actually tried out his games they would see just how much this cube can do! he has tons of potential for a unique and fun moveset

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Exactly, some people just seem to write him off because "he's a cube" but if they actually tried out his games they would see just how much this cube can do! he has tons of potential for a unique and fun moveset
I know right!
Sort of relating to this, another reason I so desperately want him is because of the recognition that the BOXBOY! series would gain.
Earthbound, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade Chronicles gained way more fans because of Smash, and i really want to see that for BOXBOY!.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
id love a trailer with lets say mario and kirby fighting in a world with a white sky and black ground when all of a sudden the ground beneath one of them erupts upwards sending him flying its shown to be a tower of blocks which then retracts and then qbyy climbs out, then splash art, gameplay montage

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I know right!
Sort of relating to this, another reason I so desperately want him is because of the recognition that the BOXBOY! series would gain.
Earthbound, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade Chronicles gained way more fans because of Smash, and i really want to see that for BOXBOY!.
That's a good point Drawcia, if Qbby gets in smash. it would be a massive boost for the popularity of the BOXBOY! series. Qbby is well known enough and developed enough to deserve his place in smash. but getting in would only increase his popularity and help his series a ton. especially if they announce a switch port of the games or a new game in the series around the same time they reveal Qbby for smash.

Another thing being in smash would do to help Qbby is to actually help people learn what his name is. I was watching some let's plays of the first game recently and noticed that virtually no one was getting his name right.
some were taking a "metroid/Zelda" approach and thought his name was Boxboy. others actually bothered to read the name of the first world "wake up Qbby" but didn't seem to get the joke with his name (CUBE BY) and read it as KWIBBY.
sorry, just wanted to vent a little since it was bugging me

id love a trailer with lets say mario and kirby fighting in a world with a white sky and black ground when all of a sudden the ground beneath one of them erupts upwards sending him flying its shown to be a tower of blocks which then retracts and then qbyy climbs out, then splash art, gameplay montage
You've now got my picturing Qbby as a stage. with his box creation working like a stage hazard. changing the shape and size of the stage on a whim.

Last edited:

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Another thing being in smash would do to help Qbby is to actually help people learn what his name is. I was watching some let's plays of the first game recently and noticed that virtually no one was getting his name right.
some were taking a "metroid/Zelda" approach and thought his name was Boxboy. others actually bothered to read the name of the first world "wake up Qbby" but didn't seem to get the joke with his name (CUBE BY) and read it as KWIBBY.
sorry, just wanted to vent a little since it was bugging me
I agree. It also bugs me a lot.

Also, from what we’ve seen, there’s a rep. for almost every Nintendo Console and Handheld. (Kirby for Gameboy, Many people from the NES, Animal Crossing from Gamecube, heck, they even brought Mr. Game and Watch for the Game and Watch.)

And now we know that the Inklings will be the Wii U rep, so I’d be genuinely surprised if we didn’t get a character from the 3DS, which did quite well. And especially since the eShop lacks a rep (though that’s just assuming it deserves one. But, if Wii Fit can get a rep, it’s not too far fetched.), Qbby or Dillon would be good canidates, both from successful eShop-3DS games.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Also, from what we’ve seen, there’s a rep. for almost every Nintendo Console and Handheld. (Kirby for Gameboy, Many people from the NES, Animal Crossing from Gamecube, heck, they even brought Mr. Game and Watch for the Game and Watch.)

And now we know that the Inklings will be the Wii U rep, so I’d be genuinely surprised if we didn’t get a character from the 3DS, which did quite well. And especially since the eShop lacks a rep (though that’s just assuming it deserves one. But, if Wii Fit can get a rep, it’s not too far fetched.), Qbby or Dillon would be good canidates, both from successful eShop-3DS games.
they dont represent the consoles they represent their own series

the villager doesnt represent the game cube his design comes from the wii title

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman

they dont represent the consoles they represent their own series

the villager doesnt represent the game cube his design comes from the wii title
While it's true they don't "represent the console" specifically. you can still say that every nintendo device is spiritually represented by characters in smash who originate from those devices.
Pikachu from the gameboy
Mario from the NES
Mr. (from the) Game & Watch
etc etc
currently there are no characters in the game who originate from Nintendo developed eShop titles
(Qbby, Dillon, Tempo, Mallo, Arcade Bunny etc)

Including Qbby could change that, by being a representative of the eShop although it's debatable whether or not such a "title" matters to Nintendo

Comic time

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While it's true they don't "represent the console" specifically. you can still say that every nintendo device is spiritually represented by characters in smash who originate from those devices.
Pikachu from the gameboy
Mario from the NES
Mr. (from the) Game & Watch
etc etc
currently there are no characters in the game who originate from Nintendo developed eShop titles
(Qbby, Dillon, Tempo, Mallo, Arcade Bunny etc)

Including Qbby could change that, by being a representative of the eShop although it's debatable whether or not such a "title" matters to Nintendo

Comic time

yeah i imagine there are a lot of us who want an e-shop original

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Here’s a question that’s been on my mind:
Would Qbby be flat, like Mr. Game and Watch, or become 3D, like Duck Hunt?

I’d personally prefer for a flat Qbby.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well i suppose it would make sense for him to be flat but he is supposed to be a cube

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman

I'd be fine with either look, just as long as he gets in.

given that Qbby is meant to be a cube, making him 3 dimensional makes sense
but since his series has always been flat 2D and minimalist. making him flat would also make sense.
but I feel like that should remain just Mr. Game & Watch's thing (unless Paper Mario gets in, then he should be flat too)

merchandise for Qbby seems to imply that he is meant to be 3 dimensional anyway.
the plush is a cube, as is the amiibo.
however, the storage box is more of a brick-ish shape, more height and width than depth. the Qbby Cap in Kirby Battle Royale also seems to support him being rectangular. but then his cameo in star allies shows him being a cube. (as do some of the comics)

so I feel like him being 3 dimensional is most likely. but they could decide to make him 2 dimensional too. and I'd be happy either way.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I reckon the best route for Qbby would be a 3D cube, but with "dynamic" outlines. So instead of all twelve of the cube's edges being black, it'd just be a constant outline around the entire visible shape, kinda like this:

(Except the grey within the cube would all be a single, uniform white, rather than having different shades of lighting.)

I think it'd look pretty weird otherwise.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, my biggest issue with a 3D Qbby is that I think he’d just look a bit awkward.

Though, if they can pull it off, I think it’d be fine.

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
I support this character. Perhaps I am simply over-valuing the amiibo, but I feel that gives Qbby a real chance to make it in. If you look at Amiibo figures, they are either from series already represented, or are series Nintendo is actively promoting. Thus, the amiibo of series not in Smash are extremely important. That would mean getting Qbby, Chibi-Robo, Celica, and Shovel Knight as new characters, which I would be happy with. I'm not counting the Animal Crossing ones, as there are too many of them, plus they already have a playable character. I also feel the Dark Souls amiibo came out too late to effect development, so Solaire won't get in either. With popularity and interesting moveset potential for Qbby, what's not to love?

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I support this character. Perhaps I am simply over-valuing the amiibo, but I feel that gives Qbby a real chance to make it in. If you look at Amiibo figures, they are either from series already represented, or are series Nintendo is actively promoting. Thus, the amiibo of series not in Smash are extremely important. That would mean getting Qbby, Chibi-Robo, Celica, and Shovel Knight as new characters, which I would be happy with. I'm not counting the Animal Crossing ones, as there are too many of them, plus they already have a playable character. I also feel the Dark Souls amiibo came out too late to effect development, so Solaire won't get in either. With popularity and interesting moveset potential for Qbby, what's not to love?
Very well put. I also felt that him getting an amiibo (while not a guarantee of his inclusion) was a good point towards his chances. which is why I point it out in the OP. and he definitely has the popularity and moveset potential. you really are "a smart guy"

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
My friends, we have an issue.
something we have not yet discussed about Qbby in samsh.
but something that definitely needs addressing.

How does Qbby hold items? :confused::confused::confused:

he has no arms. his boxes can't really "hold" things... he doesn't have a mouth or tongue or something. or telekinesis.
and if he tried to use one of his legs to hold an item. we'd be left with a pogo-box.

This could be an issue for him.

does anyone have any ideas how they could work around this for smash?

so far hes the only e-shop original to have an amiibo

of course that could change
Hey, he is! that's kinda neat. what an honor for out little boxy hero. and while yes, it could change (and I wouldn't be surprised if it did with Dillon getting a new game) for now it's a nice little factoid for Qbby.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

he has no arms. his boxes can't really "hold" things... he doesn't have a mouth or tongue or something. or telekinesis.
and if he tried to use one of his legs to hold an item. we'd be left with a pogo-box.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice

I’d guess it would be like the Goomba holding the baseball bat.
Also, how does Qbby open doors? They aren’t automatic doors, I don’t think, so maybe he has some form of telekinesis

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Oh ****, that’s pretty important. I would think it would be cute if objects just lay flat on top of his head, that would work for throwables and guns but as for weapons like the Home-Run Bat I’m at a loss.

Edit: that Goomba pic is probably the likeliest approximation.

Last edited:

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Oh ****, that’s pretty important. I would think it would be cute if objects just lay flat on top of his head, that would work for throwables and guns but as for weapons like the Home-Run Bat I’m at a loss.
I love this idea too much oml

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
My main 2 ideas were either

1: he uses that sticky goo from some of the levels in Boxboy! to act as sort of of pseudo-hand, sticking the items to him. which is weird but at least has some connection to something from his series.

or

2: he can't use items.... at all. it would certainly be a point towards uniqueness for Qbby, but not in a good way. he'd be seriously handicapped if everyone but him can pick up items. so hopefully this doesn't happen.

the idea of just having the items laying flat on top of him is really cute and silly, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
then again, very little about Qbby using items makes sense....

the Goomba pic is probably the most accurate. especially since the comics do seem to imply Qbby has SOME level of telekinesis or a gravitational field or something. things just sorta... float next to him.
like in this comic

Also, apparently Qbby sees Kirby as his hero. that's cute. hopefully he can fight alongside his hero someday!

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I was playing Kirby Planet Robobot earlier (since I can't get Star Allies yet...) and came across this

Qbby just pops up everywhere doesn't he?

now my Robobot is adorned with Qbby on one arm, and Bandana Dee on the other. :)

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Also, apparently Qbby sees Kirby as his hero. that's cute. hopefully he can fight alongside his hero someday!
If there happened to be a new Subspace Emmissary, AND Qbby was in Smash, I would be incredibly angry if Qbby wasn’t with Kirby for at least part of the mode.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Guys! I have some awesome new Boxboy! news to share with you all!

QUAAAAAACK!!!!!
Sorry, I felt I had to post something stupid. Happy April Fools Day. let's hope for some REAL Boxboy! news soon ^_^

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm someone who can put aside their own wants and desires to see the potential in characters. While I don't care too much for the character, I actually think he might have a chance. It seems like HAL is really championing this guy and he's had some great success.

On top of that he'd be very unique in his abilities. The one problem is picking things up with no hands. Sure, of course he can pick thing up by just levitating it in front of him like demonstrated above, but the player needs to be able to see to character's reach when grabbing. It's important for gameplay reasons that the player plainly sees the animation of a character reaching out and grabbing something or someone.

I suppose they could take creative liberties and make him sprout a grabbing box from his side. The box would have cute little claws at the end that grab opponents.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Because of this thread I decided to check out the BoxBoy series. I can't say I support him for Smash yet since I never support any character I don't have experience with, but you guys got me into the series.

Top Bottom