• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Observation

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Game & Watch can't approach.

While playing last night, I figured out part of the reason that my Game & Watch was losing so much. I approached, and I lost.

Firstly, I would like to address this paragraph on Game & Watch's approach options by A2ZOMG:
2. It's sad to say that there are probably people who would be surprised to hear that G&W can approach in more ways than spamming SH B-airs (which is not that good of an idea anyway). Did you know that Fullhopping a F-air actually hits 95% of the cast when they are standing on the ground? In fact SHFFed F-air isn't even a horrible approach, since it's pretty safe on block. Fullhopping B-air isn't even horrible especially against tall characters. SH N-air has MANY different applications, whether you use the final hit as an aerial poke and then jump to safety, or you rush someone down with a fastfalled N-air and then go for a combo. Then there is playing footsies with tilts, Jabs, and grabs, where you mix up your horizontal movement to bait and control space and then pressure your opponent with your grounded poke options. G&W really is no more limited in his approach than most characters. In fact his approach has quite a few options, and overlooking those options is a recipe for failure.
From what I can see, he has listed things that are not approaches, but rather are pokes. To me, an approach is something that allows you to get into the opponent's space and get them in a position where they must play carefully, or they will take severe damage.

BAir, NAir, Jab, and Tilts, in his example, are demonstrations of pokes: moves that give the opponent a bit of damage, but do not necessarily mean that you're in an advantageous position. Game & Watch's moveset is full of these sorts of moves, with his excellent disjointed, long-lasting hitboxes and his good mobility. A good Game & Watch player will be able to play off of these pokes and deal more damage to the foe, but by themselves, they usually aren't enough to allow Game & Watch to start stringing hits.

Don't get me wrong, I think Game & Watch is an excellent character. He has very good kill power, an exceptional edgeguarding game, survivablility, range, and is able to quickly deal damage.

He just can't approach.

Against characters that outrange him or have flexible projectiles, such as Marth, Snake, and Diddy, Game & Watch has to play extremely conservative, because they are better at controlling the space around them than he is; his supposed "approach" options are almost always useless against them.

I fully expect arguments against this point; this is simply how I feel about Game & Watch's ability to approach, and how not to play him.

G&W certainly can approach though in theory he would only be able to poke with bair and fair most of the top tier characters. However, humans are not perfect so you could rush down with nair like A2ZOMG said. Mix-up your game play honestly. Run towards them a bit, shield, then do whatever. G&W can still approach through the ground through some mindgames.

I've always thought playing conservative against marth was one of the worst things to do because you allow him to reposition himself in a comfortable position where he can just fair and up b your approaches. You want to get inside marth's range with a hit and don't let him get any space.

I do agree that with snake, you have to play very conservative. You can definitely poke him and then proceed to plank to force him to get closer or mess around more with his grenades to try to hit you on the ledge. You have to be creative with G&W, he has a lot of tools people don't seem to use. Good mobility helps him set up these small tricks.

The only character I think that can really shut down G&W is MK. He has so many quick moves that outspace G&W, however you can abuse the fact that those moves will not kill you until very very high percents. He has to get in closer to use his smashes, nair, etc. Most of the time, the best outcome G&W can pull off is trading hits with MK

Just use his good mobility, there's more to brawl than out-ranging your foe with larger hitboxes. Another problem I think most G&W players have is breaking down when they get outspaced because they're so accustomed to out-ranging everything the opponent has. You have better mobility than marth or snake, or some of those more difficult characters to beat. Use it to your advantage. If you fight head-on with them, you will lose because you're playing exactly the way they want you to

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W can approach just fine except against Metaknight really. And I guess the Ice Climbers are seriously stupid as well since I really don't know what G&W is supposed to do against the blizzard wall lol.

Brawl is in fact a poke based game. Practically nobody constantly rushes down in this game since it is massively unsafe to do so most of the time. This does not mean that you can't control space and use that as an advantage in closing ground. G&W has many good poke options for mid range stage control. It's by controlling midrange G&W can get in consistently. And his sliding shield oos options are pretty good as well through his F-air alone. In a lot of matchups, G&W can really condition people to shield, which can enable opportunities to approach with grab as well.

Then again that is exactly what makes Metaknight so unfairly good as well...

Onion Knight

Smash Cadet
According to what the OP is saying about approach, just play the poke game then. If you can deal 8% damage and be at a safe distance after the attack, thats still a win, even if slightly, and the pokes add up. Game and Watch has viable moves in every direction, so be sure to know what side is weak/strong against each matchup.

Splice

Smash Hero
I agree with Suuwo, and would also like to add that making Game and Watch work as character relies on Mindgames, moreso than some other characters.

He can approach, but he doesn't have a definitive way to approach, you have to mix it up, and you have to make the right decisions. I still think playing conservatively is still a decent and legit playstyle for a GaW main to have, but he's not limited to that.

Just use his good mobility, there's more to brawl than out-ranging your foe with larger hitboxes. Another problem I think most G&W players have is breaking down when they get outspaced because they're so accustomed to out-ranging everything the opponent has. You have better mobility than marth or snake, or some of those more difficult characters to beat. Use it to your advantage. If you fight head-on with them, you will lose because you're playing exactly the way they want you to
QFT, I like your post Suuwo :)

Top Bottom