• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Interesting Finding Regarding Rosalina's Crouch Animation

Neos

Smash Cadet
I know many people find Rosalina's crouch animation to be a bit silly, but I recently discovered something about it that makes it even sillier.

To make it short, I found out that ROSALINA HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF SURVIVING KNOCKBACKS WHILE CROUCHING. Meaning if Mario for example would F-Smash Rosalina while she's standing, she would die normally at a certain percent, BUT if she gets hit by his F-Smash while crouching, then she will actually be sent at a MUCH shorter distance!

HOW I TESTED THIS:
I tested this out in Training Mode in Final Destination by positioning myself at the VERY edge of the stage and shot Luma off stage so he wouldn't get in the way. Then I allowed Mario (controlled by my training partner) to F-Smash me (using his strongest hitbox) and I decided to Vector, Crouch, and did nothing against his Smash attack. I also kept pressing the Reset option in Training Mode to avoid the stale move effect.

Here's the HIGHEST percents Rosalina can survive before get KO'ed by Mario's F-Smash while I Crouched, Vectored, and Did Nothing at all:
  • Nothing: 58%
  • Vector towards stage: 67%
  • Crouch (holding down): 80%
So yeah based on the percents shown above, crouching helps you survive a lot longer than Vectoring, and especially doing nothing at all. I didn't find DI'ing useful for surviving, only for escaping combos imo. That's why I didn't put it on the list.

However, it won't work against throws and attacks that multi-hit, such as Mario's stand combo and the first two hits of Diddy's and Pit's F-Smash.

HOW CAN THIS BE USEFUL IN COMPETITIVE GAMEPLAY?:
I would use her crouch animation as an approach when I'm at killing percent. Her crouch animation can be used as a silly yet decent way to approach people. D-tilt is pretty much the only move she can do while crouch, but it's definitely one of her best and quickest moves to do. Her crouch animation can also be useful to minimize her hurtbox a bit, since EVERY single movement matters in the game. Other than that, that's all I can think of for now.

So what do you guys think about her crouch animation now? Useful? or no?

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
This is known as crouch canceling and is a global engine feature. There's also an ingame tip about it that talks about "crouching's defensive value."

Notably, for characters with a crawl animation, crouch canceling won't work while crawling.

Last edited:

Niner

Smash Cadet
As far as I know crouch-canceling isn't in 4, nor have I seen any tips on it.

Last edited:

Neos

Smash Cadet
This is known as crouch canceling and is a global engine feature. There's also an ingame tip about it that talks about "crouching's defensive value."

Notably, for characters with a crawl animation, crouch canceling won't work while crawling.
The game already mentions this?? And I thought I discovered something unusual. :ohwell:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
It is mentioned in one tip, however I think its not like crouch canceloling since it doesnt reduce the time you get in hitstun i think.

C3CC

Smash Lord
That's very useful and all... But my question still is why they animated her like that. It just doesn't make sense.

I actually think Rosalina is the worst animated character in the game. She's so stiff all the time...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
We shouldn't refer to it as crouch cancelling if its not the same.

How about: cinda crouch cancelling? haha

Top Bottom