• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Entire Thread in Defense of Corrin

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I have a true unbiased opinion, because I did not have any hopes or expectations for what character would be put into the game. I was satisfied with Shulk, and stopped speculating then.

Why not more Fire Emblem characters? Easy - variety and satisfying more people. You are quite happy about Corrin being included, but that is because you are a Fire Emblem buff. However, is everybody else? No. Fire Emblem fans already have a variety of characters to choose from. The people who love Fire Emblem should already be pretty satisfied. The people who love unrepresented series are right to feel disappointed, because if the goal is to overall satisfy the fans, it was a poor decision.

Corrin is the reason some other character did not get into Smash 4, so that line of thinking is not wrong. People can be disappointed that it is Corrin rather than another character. Now, I see you responded to this point against you...
Also, "despite what you thing, games don't pop out of the sky". I never said that, buddy. I think you missed my point there, so let me rephrase it:
Smash 4's team chose Corrin. Sure, I bet they considered other characters, but in their thought process, Corrin won for a reason. So did each of the characters in the roster. Saying Corrin is responsible for somebody else not being included, you could blame anybody. You could say Wii Fit trainer is the reason you don't have Wolf. Bayonetta is the reason you don't have Isaac, so on and so forth.
At the time Wii Fit trainer was announced, there was still much opportunity for say, Isaac to be put into the game. Corrin and Bayonetta were the last chance of opportunity. You can afterwards say that Wii Fit Trainer was a bad decision. Though, from my understanding, people like her, so whatever. Bayonetta would also be a reason for the character to not be included, but in the eyes of most, Bayonetta was a much more 'deserving' character than Corrin. What does deserving mean here? Well, the players really don't care about how big the franchise is or whatever sort of business intentions Nintendo had. They think Nintendo's should have made the decision of the character for the satisfaction of the people who play and enjoy the game. This is probably aided by the fact Nintendo made it look like they were putting it to a vote with the character ballot.

If Nintendo just wanted to pick whoever they wanted based on another factor like personal opinion and sales, they should have probably made the character ballot look more like what is really was - just a poll.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I have a true unbiased opinion, because I did not have any hopes or expectations for what character would be put into the game. I was satisfied with Shulk, and stopped speculating then.

Why not more Fire Emblem characters? Easy - variety and satisfying more people. You are quite happy about Corrin being included, but that is because you are a Fire Emblem buff. However, is everybody else? No. Fire Emblem fans already have a variety of characters to choose from. The people who love Fire Emblem should already be pretty satisfied. The people who love unrepresented series are right to feel disappointed, because if the goal is to overall satisfy the fans, it was a poor decision.
Well, I'll simply talk for myself, I don't represent everyone, but I never played Fire Emblem (except once, and juste one mission). I'm someone who had expectations, and want unrepresented series in Smash (such as Advance Wars that really deserves more than a pixel assist trophy IMO, or Sin & Punishment for a more obscure one that managed to stay in Smash through Saki).

I'm actually satisfied with Corrin. A lot. I'm looking forward playing her.

Representation is something important. I can't deny that, as I was happy to see characters like Palutena and Villager, or even the Zelda's Assist trophies and other content.

But is that the only thing that matter? Again, I surely have my own favorite characters that I want in Smash, and if I can trade Corrin for Isa Jo or the Inklings, I would certainly do it without hesitation. But I'm not really looking at "this isn't playable" or "this have too much".

Yes, Corrin is a Fire Emblem character, have a counter and the stage entrance will probably be the same teleportation as the others. On the other hand, Corrin truly feels unique, and that's what is important in my opinion. It's mostly a matter of aesthetics so far, and some properties (especially the Side-B, of course), but Corrin stands out in the roster, like Robin do. And no, that's not because they aren't blue haired!

Besides, while I wanted the Inklings (a character that was probably with Corrin for that "recent character" spot), I fear that their weaponry result in a kinda bland gameplay (an Ink mechanic seems more and more impossible to me). I they were playable, I would absolutely love it no matter what, anyway.

Also, I tend to think that there's "four" FE characters, Lucina being a bonus and Roy being back because Melee (I mean, he was presented this way, and Melee is mentionned in his trophy). I won't say that they aren't there, but their conditions of inclusion in Smash 4 isn't exactly the same as, for example, Falco or Ganondorf. (that the same reason why I'm okay with Dark Pit, as a Kid Icarus Uprising fan, despite being against him before the release of the game). This is a more personal reasoning of course.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Corrin is the reason some other character did not get into Smash 4, so that line of thinking is not wrong. People can be disappointed that it is Corrin rather than another character. Now, I see you responded to this point against you...
The only other character that Corrin took the spot of are the Inklings. Why? Because Corrin was chosen because the Smash team wanted a character from a game that was recently released. Sakurai picked Corrin because he thought he could make him unique (presumably he thought he could do stuff with the partial dragon transformation and did). The major recently released games (in Japan; Fates came out last summer) are Fates, Splatoon, and a bunch of Mario spin-offs; so it came down to the Inkings and Corrin, and Corrin was more interesting to him, so he got chosen.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
The only other character that Corrin took the spot of are the Inklings. Why? Because Corrin was chosen because the Smash team wanted a character from a game that was recently released. Sakurai picked Corrin because he thought he could make him unique (presumably he thought he could do stuff with the partial dragon transformation and did). The major recently released games (in Japan; Fates came out last summer) are Fates, Splatoon, and a bunch of Mario spin-offs; so it came down to the Inkings and Corrin, and Corrin was more interesting to him, so he got chosen.
So in short, don't blame the character who got chosen, blame the reason he was picked ;)

Rakath

Smash Ace
That doesn't mean you're unbiased, because one key item in your argument is flawed out the gate. It means you were satisfied with what you were given. Mostly.

At the time Wii Fit trainer was announced, there was still much opportunity for say, Isaac to be put into the game. Corrin and Bayonetta were the last chance of opportunity.
Technically speaking, yes. Isaac had long outside odds to win the ballot. Outside of that, Isaac's last possible spot was taken by Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr. Mostly Duck Hunt. Isaac has no current day buzz, no big games in the works. No big games recently released. Anyone who did believe Isaac had a chance after that? Lying to themselves. Rool, Dixie, another Zelda rep, Wolf? One of the characters from XCX? Their series aren't dead, they have recent games (not recent enough in some cases, but still active in the past few years), they have a living fandom, not a fandom in mourning like Golden Sun.

So many of the shade thrown is for characters whose last shot was eaten by the Dog. Well before now. They held onto hope, and it burned them.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Neither Duck Hunt Dog or Bowser Jr. stole Isaac's spot.
I was a bit... inaccurate as to my meaning there. No, neither did take 'Isaac's spot' they took 'the last slots in the roster where Isaac could have been added' as game creation resources are finite. If Isaac was going to make it in, he'd be a secret character on the main on-disc roster, he would never have made the cut as DLC.

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
I think the reason Corrin made it in over characters like Elma and the Inkling is that the latter two can get in next game; Inkling's popular and Xenoblade likely won't get another game before the next Smash if the difference between Xeno and X are an indication, but this is Corrin's only chance, it's now or never for him/her.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think the reason Corrin made it in over characters like Elma and the Inkling is that the latter two can get in next game; Inkling's popular and Xenoblade likely won't get another game before the next Smash if the difference between Xeno and X are an indication, but this is Corrin's only chance, it's now or never for him/her.
Personally, I think it came down to which character was the most practical and the most interesting.

The Inklings, while definitely oozing with potential, may have posed a problem when it came to translating their unique mechanics into Smash. Their main gimmick is covering the world with ink and disappearing into it; that sort of thing could be difficult to implement in the world of Smash, both for balancing and technical reasons. While ideal candidates otherwise, their inclusion might not have been the most practical.

So if it came down to Elma or Corrin, it's either a character that uses dual swords and guns, or a shapeshifter. While Elma could definitely have been interesting in her own right, Corrin truly brings something to Smash we haven't seen before, which is something I think Sakurai loves.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
That doesn't mean you're unbiased, because one key item in your argument is flawed out the gate. It means you were satisfied with what you were given. Mostly.

Technically speaking, yes. Isaac had long outside odds to win the ballot. Outside of that, Isaac's last possible spot was taken by Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr. Mostly Duck Hunt. Isaac has no current day buzz, no big games in the works. No big games recently released. Anyone who did believe Isaac had a chance after that? Lying to themselves. Rool, Dixie, another Zelda rep, Wolf? One of the characters from XCX? Their series aren't dead, they have recent games (not recent enough in some cases, but still active in the past few years), they have a living fandom, not a fandom in mourning like Golden Sun.

So many of the shade thrown is for characters whose last shot was eaten by the Dog. Well before now. They held onto hope, and it burned them.
What key item is flawed out the gate. All you are debating is Isaac, who I merely used as an example. I don't care about Isaac.

I am unbiased because unlike most, I am neither disappointed nor overjoyed about Corrin. My opinion toward Corrin is actually slightly positive. I had no clear hopes of other characters.
Well, I'll simply talk for myself, I don't represent everyone, but I never played Fire Emblem (except once, and juste one mission). I'm someone who had expectations, and want unrepresented series in Smash (such as Advance Wars that really deserves more than a pixel assist trophy IMO, or Sin & Punishment for a more obscure one that managed to stay in Smash through Saki).

I'm actually satisfied with Corrin. A lot. I'm looking forward playing her.

Representation is something important. I can't deny that, as I was happy to see characters like Palutena and Villager, or even the Zelda's Assist trophies and other content.

But is that the only thing that matter? Again, I surely have my own favorite characters that I want in Smash, and if I can trade Corrin for Isa Jo or the Inklings, I would certainly do it without hesitation. But I'm not really looking at "this isn't playable" or "this have too much".

Yes, Corrin is a Fire Emblem character, have a counter and the stage entrance will probably be the same teleportation as the others. On the other hand, Corrin truly feels unique, and that's what is important in my opinion. It's mostly a matter of aesthetics so far, and some properties (especially the Side-B, of course), but Corrin stands out in the roster, like Robin do. And no, that's not because they aren't blue haired!

Besides, while I wanted the Inklings (a character that was probably with Corrin for that "recent character" spot), I fear that their weaponry result in a kinda bland gameplay (an Ink mechanic seems more and more impossible to me). I they were playable, I would absolutely love it no matter what, anyway.

Also, I tend to think that there's "four" FE characters, Lucina being a bonus and Roy being back because Melee (I mean, he was presented this way, and Melee is mentionned in his trophy). I won't say that they aren't there, but their conditions of inclusion in Smash 4 isn't exactly the same as, for example, Falco or Ganondorf. (that the same reason why I'm okay with Dark Pit, as a Kid Icarus Uprising fan, despite being against him before the release of the game). This is a more personal reasoning of course.
I am interested as well, but it doesn't matter.
If this is actually true (source would be appreciated), then you can still argue the decision to limit the last character to somebody from a recent release was a poor one. If it turns out there were only 2 characters to pick from when narrowing it down to that, and neither of them is that great, then you can and probably should go back on that limitation you set.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
If this is actually true (source would be appreciated), then you can still argue the decision to limit the last character to somebody from a recent release was a poor one. If it turns out there were only 2 characters to pick from when narrowing it down to that, and neither of them is that great, then you can and probably should go back on that limitation you set.
Source: This translated Famitsu article
"After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game."
"After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot."
"I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character."
So if you want to blame anyone, blame Intelligent Systems for releasing FE Fates when it did:p.

Last edited:

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
I'm totally fine (even a bit hyped) with Corrin because he is a more unique figther than the rest of the FE cast (Robin aside), but if they wanted to include a character to promote a game, wouldn't it have been better to add Linkle from Hyrule Warriors Legends?, I mean, it's a new game for every continent and she would have been a new Zelda rep aside from a unique figther.

I think the REAL reason they chose Corrin is because the enormous popularity of FE in Japan.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm totally fine (even a bit hyped) with Corrin because he is a more unique figther than the rest of the FE cast (Robin aside), but if they wanted to include a character to promote a game, wouldn't it have been better to add Linkle from Hyrule Warriors Legends?, I mean, it's a new game for every continent and she would have been a new Zelda rep aside from a unique figther.

I think the REAL reason they chose Corrin is because the enormous popularity of FE in Japan.
I kind of doubt they'd add one of many side characters from a crossover spin-off game, especially those made up for said spin-off.

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
I kind of doubt they'd add one of many side characters from a crossover spin-off game, especially those made up for said spin-off.
I think I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo plans on including Linkle in future games, I could be wrong tho.

Mothman

Smash Apprentice
I think as a character Corrin seems to be the most interesting and unique from the fire emblem characters after Robin....but one thing that I am kinda like "why?....." about is that there is like 6 fire emblem characters some of which seem pretty similar.....I just feel like there could've been representation for some franchises that aren't in the game yet

and for people saying that the mario series has 7 characters....well what do you expect? Mario is basically nintendo's mascot and the game is named super smash bros, of course theyre going to have the most representation, and for the most part if you own a nintendo console chances are you probably own some sort of mario game like for example: mario kart

At the end of the day tho I can't complain too much, I was able to get Lucas and Bayonetta as dlc so I'm more than satisfied, but I can definitely see why some people may be upset about a 6th fire emblem character being added

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I think as a character Corrin seems to be the most interesting and unique from the fire emblem characters after Robin....but one thing that I am kinda like "why?....." about is that there is like 6 fire emblem characters some of which seem pretty similar.....I just feel like there could've been representation for some franchises that aren't in the game yet

and for people saying that the mario series has 7 characters....well what do you expect? Mario is basically nintendo's mascot and the game is named super smash bros, of course theyre going to have the most representation, and for the most part if you own a nintendo console chances are you probably own some sort of mario game like for example: mario kart

At the end of the day tho I can't complain too much, I was able to get Lucas and Bayonetta as dlc so I'm more than satisfied, but I can definitely see why some people may be upset about a 6th fire emblem character being added
It wasn't a matter of representation; Nintendo wanted a character from a new game, and FE Fates was in the right spot.
I posted this a few comments above.
Source: This translated Famitsu article
"After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game."
"After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot."
"I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character."
So if you want to blame anyone, blame Intelligent Systems for releasing FE Fates when it did:p.

Mothman

Smash Apprentice
It wasn't a matter of representation; Nintendo wanted a character from a new game, and FE Fates was in the right spot.
I posted this a few comments above.
I'm well aware that Corrin being added to smash was a good advertising opportunity and even agreed that he's a unique character that I honestly have no complaints about, it's more so the other 5 characters I'm more stumped about

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Marth was one of the first playable FE protagonists, so he has that. Lucina was intended originally to be an alt costume for Marth, but became extra content due to her being slightly shorter or something? I dunno. Roy was fan demand. Nothing else.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I'm well aware that Corrin being added to smash was a good advertising opportunity and even agreed that he's a unique character that I honestly have no complaints about, it's more so the other 5 characters I'm more stumped about
Other five...FE characters? Marth and Ike are from Brawl, Robin's due to Awakening's success, Lucina was originally going to be an alt costume but became a character because they had the time, and Roy was added because fanservice (he was a popular character in Melee).

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Well let's break down the new (and in some cases not so new) FE Characters in Sm4sh for a second.

:4robinm::4robinf: - A brand new character that represents the mage/magical aspects of Fire Emblem.
:4lucina:- Originally a palette swap of ol' Marth, who got added in as a bonus clone character due to extra dev time.
:4feroy: - Brought back by popular demand from Melee fans, not so much for FE fans due to his polarizing nature in the franchise.
:4corrin::4corrinf: - A brand new character that represents the Manaketes/other transformation races of Fire Emblem, and as ARGHETH ARGHETH pointed out, happened to be in just the right spot game-release-date wise.

So at the end of the day, none of these characters were chosen over others because they were FE characters or that FE deserved more characters over other series, it just worked out that FE got a few more challengers due to Lucina's unexpected inclusion and Roy's Smash fanbase.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Well, when the fighr starts you franchize don't matter only your strenght, so if the character is unique why complain about his home place? Is like you are watching a battle like onw guy but since he is from another country some people hate him, ignoring all about his strenght

(Sorry about my english guys)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo plans on including Linkle in future games, I could be wrong tho.
That would be Aonuma since he seems to be the only one interested so far. But this is the same guy who wants the Master Bike in a future title and we all know such a vehicle would be completely out of place in the Zelda universe. But I'd rather wait and see what they'll do with Linkle first before saying she's guaranteed to be "the new Rosalina".

AJb1205

Smash Cadet
NNID
AJb1205
It's a good business streategy
Well let's break down the new (and in some cases not so new) FE Characters in Sm4sh for a second.

:4robinm::4robinf: - A brand new character that represents the mage/magical aspects of Fire Emblem.
:4lucina:- Originally a palette swap of ol' Marth, who got added in as a bonus clone character due to extra dev time.
:4feroy: - Brought back by popular demand from Melee fans, not so much for FE fans due to his polarizing nature in the franchise.
:4corrin::4corrinf: - A brand new character that represents the Manaketes/other transformation races of Fire Emblem, and as ARGHETH ARGHETH pointed out, happened to be in just the right spot game-release-date wise.

So at the end of the day, none of these characters were chosen over others because they were FE characters or that FE deserved more characters over other series, it just worked out that FE got a few more challengers due to Lucina's unexpected inclusion and Roy's Smash fanbase.
I'd love to see Hector from Fire emblem: Blazing Sword (The GBA one), he uses an axe so he'd be a fresh character instead of the basic sword fighter. (again) And he represents the first fire emblem game to be released in america (since I don't count Lyn since she's only an assist trophy, and Eliwood is just Roy. But Hector as far as I know isn't represented anywhere, no stickers from brawl and no trophies.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom