• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
I've heard ShopTo is reliable enough for pre-orders on Amiibos. They're good for games anyway, as I pre-ordered games from them twice in the past.

---------

So I got a new desk for my room today:

My old Amiibo display for comparison:

I kinda disagree on Palutena. I think her Amiibo looks like a tacky, creepy porcelain doll.
*eyeballs intensely*
Stooop trying to make me jealous.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, it seems so long ago when the amiibo first came out and the store employee said to my parents when they were buying me my first Marth that "You're the only ones who have actually brought one. These won't be popular."

*hiss*YOU WERE WRONG.

FyrianFate

Smash Apprentice
Pfff.... Of course I missed the tiny 15 min window to preorder Robin in France because I was off on vacation -.-
Guess I'll have to end up trading my extra Shulk after all...
At least people in the UK can preorder them early... in France it's 2 days before

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

"Yet another friend has been captured in a plastic and cardboard prison, after a long and hard fight on the Battlefield..."

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

"Yet another friend has been captured in a plastic and cardboard prison, after a long and hard fight on the Battlefield..."
Ugh, how did everyone manage to get an Ike with a better sword than mine. Mine's curved in at least a centimeter...

He's still got a derpy face though. The other Fire Emblem crew fared much better. Ike's bad.

Ok, new list: Biggest amiibo derp-fails:
  1. :4myfriends:
  2. :4zelda:
  3. :4sheik:
  4. :4marth:
  5. :4link:
I think the rest look good. Rosalina in particular looks amazing, and then of course any 'cute' characters are spot on.

D

Deleted member

I think the Sheik amiibo looks fine imo. The others do have a bit of derp to them though but despite that I still want Marth and Link.
Link I can get at any store but Marth...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Telling the clerk at Gamestop that my brother exchanged a Link amiibo for a Rosalina amiibo was priceless.

He preordered Rosalina well in advance, so they had her shipped in especially to order, but I like to maintain a little mystery in the telling of the tale~

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Is Ike rare or uncommon?

You guys are so lucky, there's no such thing as pre-ordering amiibos where I live... I have to follow the store's social media and instantly go there once they post something Amiibo related.

*sigh*
Is Lucario that rare? I found like 10 Lucarios in a Virgin Megastore.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ugh, how did everyone manage to get an Ike with a better sword than mine. Mine's curved in at least a centimeter...

He's still got a derpy face though. The other Fire Emblem crew fared much better. Ike's bad.

Ok, new list: Biggest amiibo derp-fails:
  1. :4myfriends:
  2. :4zelda:
  3. :4sheik:
  4. :4marth:
  5. :4link:
I think the rest look good. Rosalina in particular looks amazing, and then of course any 'cute' characters are spot on.
My Ike (or rather all 3 of them right now) and Marth look really nice in the face actually, and Sheik is fine. You can't really see Sheik's face anyway. Link isn't too bad either. Zelda does look a bit off though.

Rosalina is my favourite looking Amiibo. And that's not really bias, since I'd be annoyed if it looked bad. But I like Bowser, Wario, Charizard, Mega Man, Fox, and Dedede a lot too. And like you said, a lot of the cute, simple characters look fine.

Is Ike rare or uncommon?

You guys are so lucky, there's no such thing as pre-ordering amiibos where I live... I have to follow the store's social media and instantly go there once they post something Amiibo related.

*sigh*
Is Lucario that rare? I found like 10 Lucarios in a Virgin Megastore.
Ike is rare in the US, but one of the most common in Europe. I live in Ireland, which is pretty bad for Amiibos after Wave 2, but even I see Ike everywhere.

Also if you're at all interested in doing an international trade for a Gold Mario, I know someone who would trade you one for one of those 10 Lucarios. Just as a heads up.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Also if you're at all interested in doing an international trade for a Gold Mario, I know someone who would trade you one for one of those 10 Lucarios. Just as a heads up.
That's a pretty poor trade, IMO. Gold Mario would be worth at least two or three Lucarios, especially outside the States.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, tomorrow is Toys R Us? Any true confirmation any are getting the cards?

One Gold Mario for Ten Lucario? I'd do it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's a pretty poor trade, IMO. Gold Mario would be worth at least two or three Lucarios, especially outside the States.
Not everyone cares about the arbitrary value of the figures. Us collectors are the ones that place those arbitrary inflated prices on them. In actuality, they all cost around the same to make (with a few exceptions that we can't even reliably pinpoint), and are all distributed for around the same at a local retail store.

When it comes to trading, most people are trading spares for ones they are missing and simply want. With Gold Mario especially, there is barely anyone who's saying "GOLLY, I'VE ALWAYS WANTED A FIGURE OF MARIO PAINTED GOLD", people are literally just buying him to use as trade bait or to sell off because they know desperate collectors will eat it up. They don't care if they are losing out on a "$100 figure" as long as they are getting a character they want, because at retail, these things are all the same price. If Nintendo were stocking these properly, this individual would have gotten his Ike and Lucario for the exact same price as the two Gold Marios he bought to use as trade bait to get those two figures. Gold Mario, for a lot of people, has really just become a genie in the lamp for most regular people.

So while people in the collector's circle will jack up the price of these things in order to exploit the sentimentality of others and make a quick buck off of them, these things really have no realistic reason to be jacked up in price on eBay right now. If you ask me, it's far too early to be jacking up prices and legitimately giving one figure more value than another, as we do not know the long term rarity of these things. I mean, as far as I'm aware, the only Amiibo that's had any discontinuation announcement is Rosalina, and even that's only applicable to Target (as she did pop up for Play-Asia's July Re-Run).

Me personally, I'm only getting this Gold Mario to hold on to for a few years so I can see how valuable it will truly get. I could make a quick €100 off it now, or I could wait a few years and possibly make €1,000.

But until then, it will look pretty on my new display.

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
Last night I had a dream that the entire Smash line was in my room. I woke up crying. A middle school budget doesn't encourage importing but I still need :4falcon::4pit: from wave 2, :4shulk::rosalina::4myfriends: from wave 3, :4wario::4charizard::4pacman::4robinm::4lucina::4jigglypuff::4greninja: from wave 4 and :4ganondorf::4duckhunt::4mewtwo: From the rest of the line. Does anyone know an easy way to get the first five for under 30 bucks. I've seen three of them under 30 on foreign amazons.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Last night I had a dream that the entire Smash line was in my room. I woke up crying. A middle school budget doesn't encourage importing but I still need :4falcon::4pit: from wave 2, :4shulk::rosalina::4myfriends: from wave 3, :4wario::4charizard::4pacman::4robinm::4lucina::4jigglypuff::4greninja: from wave 4 and :4ganondorf::4duckhunt::4mewtwo: From the rest of the line. Does anyone know an easy way to get the first five for under 30 bucks. I've seen three of them under 30 on foreign amazons.

She's been at that price or higher since day one. Shulk isn't any better, and Pit and Falcon are only a little bit lower in most places.

The only one of those first 5 you could get for any cheaper than $30 is Ike. Since he is common here in Europe. There's still two more left at my local Smyths (however, they both have bent Ragnells - this is fixable though). And their online store over here still have him well stocked.

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
I saw Ike for 20 euros on Amazon.de. Pit and falcon were about 25 a piece. I don't know if I should snag them yet. Is that a good price?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I saw Ike for 20 euros on Amazon.de. Pit and falcon were about 25 a piece. I don't know if I should snag them yet. Is that a good price?
You'd want to check the shipping prices too, and make sure you've done the currency conversions.

With Ike, you'd honestly be better off just looking for a European to trade with. Hell, if you could get me a Ness, Robin, Lucina, Jigglypuff, or Greninja when they come out in the States, I'd happily get you an Ike if he's still here.

Alternatively, if I'm feeling financially secure enough or something, I suppose I'd just take a Super Mario Bowser for it. Or maybe even a Sonic so I could make a custom or something like that.

That's just me spitballing though, I don't want to do anything like that just yet. I already have two Ike trades to take care of.

Last edited:

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
You'd want to check the shipping prices too, and make sure you've done the currency conversions.

With Ike, you'd honestly be better off just looking for a European to trade with. Hell, if you could get me a Ness, Robin, Lucina, Jigglypuff, or Greninja when they come out in the States, I'd happily get you an Ike if he's still here.

Alternatively, if I'm feeling financially secure enough or something, I suppose I'd just take a Super Mario Bowser for it. Or maybe even a Sonic so I could make a custom or something like that.

That's just me spitballing though, I don't want to do anything like that just yet. I already have two Ike trades to take care of.
Would you really trade an Ike for a bowser or sonic? I'll have to ask my mom if she's okay with international trade. I'll ask her and let you know in a PM if that's okay with you.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Why is Diddy all the way in the back? Aren't we following the top tier? (Was 1.0.6. that substantial to Diddy's standing?)
:roll:
I don't believe he meant that kind of "top tier".
More like the characters he likes the most, or, aside from Rosalina, who's obviously his favorite character, the standing of the rest doesn't matter, as long as they are following with Rosalina in the lead.
Point is, it has nothing to do with the actual"tier list" of Sm4sh.

So, Greninja preorder is going up soon, uh? Good luck to everyone trying to get it! well, except scalpers.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Would you really trade an Ike for a bowser or sonic? I'll have to ask my mom if she's okay with international trade. I'll ask her and let you know in a PM if that's okay with you.
I don't want to do any trades beyond what I've already arranged now but in a month from now I might.

:roll:
I don't believe he meant that kind of "top tier".
More like the characters he likes the most, or, aside from Rosalina, who's obviously his favorite character, the standing of the rest doesn't matter, as long as they are following with Rosalina in the lead.
Point is, it has nothing to do with the actual"tier list" of Sm4sh.

So, Greninja preorder is going up soon, uh? Good luck to everyone trying to get it! well, except scalpers.
Actually, it was to do with actual tiers. Rosalina is easily the best character, especially after Sakurai threw Diddy under the bus (I mean she would have eventually rose above him anyway, but now she doesn't even need to).

However, beyond Rosalina being the best, I wasn't actually ordering the others.

Last edited:

Raccoonman_900

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RMan_900
3DS FC
1418-6736-6840
Switch FC
SW-5350-0976-4122
Okay, so I caved in on eBay and I bought :4ness: and :4jigglypuff: (though they were around 40 dollars). Here's to hoping me and anyone possible in San Diego manage to get :4greninja:.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
The closest Toys R Us is 2 hours away, by my grandma's, but I can't make the drive and I'm in school. However no one seems to hunt there (they're packed with amiibos) so maybe, just maybe, there will be a Greninja pre-order available. I asked her to go as soon as she can and check for me. Here's hoping.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
According to Amiibo Michigan, both of my stores filled up by 7:00.

**** that if that's what it takes to buy these things.

Jinx129

Smash Ace
NNID
Jinx129
3DS FC
3368-3418-9942
Arrived at the store 2 mins before "opening" at 10 a.m. They only had 10 of each. All were gone except for Pac Man. Secured one of those.....

Checked Best Buy and Gamestop while I was out. Had the same old stuff. No one seems to be able to tell me when on-line pre-orders will open up! I asked about a Marth Amiibo just to get a chuckle out of the clerk at Gamestop. lol

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My friend in New York managed to secure both Greninja and Pac-Man at TRU today.

Also my Gold Mario from my trade partner shipped. Gonna send him Ike tomorrow.

Raccoonman_900

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RMan_900
3DS FC
1418-6736-6840
Switch FC
SW-5350-0976-4122
Okay, I noticed that my :4jigglypuff: order on eBay is arriving on… the 30th of April. Did I really just get scammed?

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Not everyone cares about the arbitrary value of the figures. Us collectors are the ones that place those arbitrary inflated prices on them. In actuality, they all cost around the same to make (with a few exceptions that we can't even reliably pinpoint), and are all distributed for around the same at a local retail store.

When it comes to trading, most people are trading spares for ones they are missing and simply want. With Gold Mario especially, there is barely anyone who's saying "GOLLY, I'VE ALWAYS WANTED A FIGURE OF MARIO PAINTED GOLD", people are literally just buying him to use as trade bait or to sell off because they know desperate collectors will eat it up. They don't care if they are losing out on a "$100 figure" as long as they are getting a character they want, because at retail, these things are all the same price. If Nintendo were stocking these properly, this individual would have gotten his Ike and Lucario for the exact same price as the two Gold Marios he bought to use as trade bait to get those two figures. Gold Mario, for a lot of people, has really just become a genie in the lamp for most regular people.

So while people in the collector's circle will jack up the price of these things in order to exploit the sentimentality of others and make a quick buck off of them, these things really have no realistic reason to be jacked up in price on eBay right now. If you ask me, it's far too early to be jacking up prices and legitimately giving one figure more value than another, as we do not know the long term rarity of these things. I mean, as far as I'm aware, the only Amiibo that's had any discontinuation announcement is Rosalina, and even that's only applicable to Target (as she did pop up for Play-Asia's July Re-Run).

Me personally, I'm only getting this Gold Mario to hold on to for a few years so I can see how valuable it will truly get. I could make a quick €100 off it now, or I could wait a few years and possibly make €1,000.

But until then, it will look pretty on my new display.
My bad, I realize I misread your post - I thought you were trying to get a Gold Mario out of somebody for less than its worth, but I see you were in fact doing the opposite.

Still, despite retail value you can't really argue that Gold Mario and Lucario are equal in value after the fact. One of those was a one-time release in limited qualities in only one region of the world, and the other can still be found in abundance in some stores in the UK. Without even bring eBay prices into the equation, one of those is intrinsically more valuable than the other - I think he's truly the only exception to your argument. More power to you though if you're willing to downtrade to help someone out.

Okay, I noticed that my :4jigglypuff: order on eBay is arriving on… the 30th of April. Did I really just get scammed?
Were you expecting an American JPuff? I think she releases really soon in UK and/or Japan, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My bad, I realize I misread your post - I thought you were trying to get a Gold Mario out of somebody for less than its worth, but I see you were in fact doing the opposite.

Still, despite retail value you can't really argue that Gold Mario and Lucario are equal in value after the fact. One of those was a one-time release in limited qualities in only one region of the world, and the other can still be found in abundance in some stores in the UK. Without even bring eBay prices into the equation, one of those is intrinsically more valuable than the other - I think he's truly the only exception to your argument. More power to you though if you're willing to downtrade to help someone out.

Were you expecting an American JPuff? I think she releases really soon in UK and/or Japan, but I could be wrong.
Right now, Gold Mario is exclusive to the US, but we don't necessarily know if that will be true forever. I mean, Europe is getting a lot of figures earlier than the US too.

Also where did you here Lucario can be found in abundance in the UK? Ike is the only "common in Europe, rare in the US" figure. Tons of collectors in the UK still don't have a Lucario.

My point here is that inflated Amiibo prices only exist so early because of scalpers trying to take advantage of sentimental Nintendo fans, not because they are genuinely worth that much. Amiibos are not comparable to say, a limited print comic book that is rare because they genuinely couldn't print that many (meaning it's forever discontinued) - Nintendo could easily print enough Amiibos to fulfill demand starting right now if they wanted to. But they're spacing restocks out, to keep us hooked and perceive them as rare, even though at the end of the day, all of them have no reason to be sold for more than MSRP. None of them have been discontinued completely yet. As I said, the only confirmation of a discontinuation we have gotten so far is Rosalina in the US. Technically, she should be the most expensive Amiibo in the US, because as of right now, no more US Rosalinas are planned for print in that region. Rosalina is the only one with any excuse to be sold for over MSRP in the US (as far as I know, Gold Mario has not been discontinued altogether). Most other unicorns have actually been confirmed for restocks in some part of the world (including those from Wave 4), and even the ones that aren't have not had a discontinuation announcement yet.

A product only becomes rare when no more are in production, not when it's merely sold out. Tons of things sell out, yet never sell for inflated prices. The Amiibo community is just rabid, and people exploit that for a quick buck. The figures aren't genuinely more valuable than MSRP.

EDIT: The best way to put is that Amiibos are not rare - they are scarce.

Amiibos are like vegetables - sure, they are scarce for a time depending on the season, but more can always be planted.

They aren't comparable to real diamonds, which are rare and valuable - because those have a finite resource, and we can't make more. We can make our own version, but we can't make the original one that was mined from the Earth.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
It's an american Jigglypuff.
In that case, I would contact your seller for clarification. At one point, it was believed they were going to drop on 4/27 (Nowinstock had this date up for about a month before the direct revealed it'd be much later). It's very possible it's an honest mistake, but you'll have to bug your seller to find out.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Went for a Greninja preorder on a whim around 8 AM and ended up 9th in line. They only had 10 Greninja. Guess I lucked out. Secured a Pac Man as well along with making some new friends. We even went out for frozen yoghurt and a movie afterwards. Noice.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I've secured Pac-man, Charizard, and Wario
... Robin, Lucina, Ness, Jigglypuff, and Greninja still evade me...
Hoping i'll see some wilds.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Found out about Greninja too late to make plans to get off work to go stand in a line, and it wouldn't have worked anyway because we had a big company quarterly meeting today. I've long since accepted that I'll need to trade for one - shouldn't be an issue, I have duplicates of everything from Wave 3 plus a few Rosalinas to offer up.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I managed to preorder 3 today, Palutena, ZSS and Ganondorf. This is in the UK, mind you. I'd love to get a Greninja, would sit nicely with my Charizard and PIkachu.

Owned: :4mario::4yoshi::4pikachu::4fox::4link::4diddy::4falcon::4marth::4lucario::4myfriends::4tlink::4bowser::rosalina::4sonic::4charizard:
Pre-Ordered: :4zss::4palutena::4ganondorf:
Want: :4mewtwo::4lucina::4greninja::4metaknight::4shulk:

I don't think I'll end up getting the ones I want though, the prices for them are insane sadly... I can hope though.

Edit: I was just looking on Play Asia, And I found this... Interesting. A way to save data off Amiibo and edit them would be cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom