• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
*** **** it I got too carried away wasting money on them toys that you scan into your Wii U Gamepad this month, now I'm broke. At least I now possess the one I wanted the most, Villager (of course it was from an eBay scalper). I hope they eventually get around to making Toadette.

I've seen Megaman and Toon Link last time I went to Gamestop, but I don't ever recall finding any Yoshi.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
GOD DAMN IT I WONT HAVE MONEY UNTIL NEXT WEEK AND HE'LL BE LONG GONE BY THEN

EDIT: They are already out of stock. Or did they only put the LISTINGS up just now?

-------

@YoshiandToad

From what I remember, those two have been there for some time now, and if it helps, Wario has been available to pre order since the direct that announced wave 4, and Sonic is in stock.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here's my Mega Man, Sonic, and Rosalina Amiibos in action.

Mama Rosie is protecting her babby Mega Man (note the Share Stock). :3

Meanwhile, I Pac about doing Pac things with my Pac Mitts.

Last edited:

Matt H

Smash Rookie
Alright I have a really bizarre situation right now with my Zelda Amiibo. I'm not sure if this warrants its own thread so I wanted to post here.

I was admittedly late to the Amiibo party. As excited as I was, pretty much all of my mains are hard-to-find Amiibos (or characters who don't have Amiibos RIP in piece Ganon), so I figured I'd just wait until I could find some and start playing with them then.

ANYWAY long story short I was spending some time learning to play Zelda recently so I figured I'd pick up a Zelda Amiibo and see what I could do with it.

Once I felt my fundamentals with the character were decent enough, I broke the Amiibo out and started to play against it. I named the Amiibo "Lulu", after the name my Grandma uses for Link when she plays Zelda games. I mirror matched Lulu with Zelda until it reached level 50. I wanted Lulu to be the best it could be in a "competitive" environment, so I played only in 2-stock, 5-minute matches. I started on Battlefield, and cycled through each of the tournament legal stages over and over and over again. After about an hour and a half, it reached level 50.

To begin, Lulu played poorly, as to be expected. It just kind of stood around a lot whiffing attacks. I just started hitting it with some basic Zelda tactics. The first kill move Lulu attempted on me was around level 3, in our second match. It attempted to teleport into me, and whiffed. The move wouldn't have killed anyway because I was at like 30%. I don't know if this was significant, I just thought it was neat that it tried to kill with arguably Zelda's most stylish kill move.

At around level 14 I noticed Lulu had a really bad habit of NOT teching knockdowns. This was the first "habit" I noticed in the Amiibo. I immediately began to punish its lack of recovery with down-airs. After getting knocked around for a few more levels, it started to tech sooner and more often. It became more pro-active moving around. It was LEARNING.

The second habit I noticed was that when both players are offstage, Lulu will always attempt to teleport into the other player to kill them rather than teleport to the stage to recover. This led to several whiffed teleports into the bottom of the stage, and an SD. Lulu still does this now, but far less often.

Lulu didn't take an honest stock off me (a stock where I didn't SD because of execution error) until around level 32. It didn't actually win a match until level 42.

Leading up to that first win, Lulu was learning to respond and read my movements. It became more and more efficient with Din's Fire. It used N-air and Nayru's Love more and more effectively. The spacing on it's hitboxes got better and better. And the more it leveled up, the more it was landing sweet spots on all of its moves that had them.

Between levels 45 and 49, Lulu was winning about half the matches we played. And after a few matches at level 50, it began to beat me consistently. Forward-air and back-air were noticeably Lulu's favorite moves, and it almost ALWAYS sweet-spotted them. Every hit it landed was devastating because of those sweetspots.

Once Lulu got to that point, I felt it was good enough to introduce to other characters. My mains are Ganondorf, Rosalina, and Shulk (pretty much in that order). I switched to Ganondorf first, as he is my most comfortable character. At first, the Amiibo had a hard time making decisions, and it seemed to move more slowly as a result. However, it still respected the hell out of my N-air and B-air. Ganondorf's F-air has a much more vertical hitbox than Zelda's F-air, so Lulu mistakenly got hit with that a lot, and Ganondorf's Up-air also has a much more horizontal hitbox than Zelda's, so I got some free hits in with that as well.

After taking one stock on the Amiibo with Ganondorf, however, it had my Ganon downloaded. It was reacting like it had been against my Zelda. It respected my attacks properly, and it even knew to avoid the Ganon-cide on the ledge dispite the fact that I'd never attempted it before. That may have been because it understood Ganon's hitboxes and it was thinking "don't get hit" rather than "don't die", so I don't know. I just thought it was neat. It won that first match, I think I won the second, and then Lulu won every other game I played as Ganon.

I switched to Rosalina next. It seemed as though Lulu couldn't see Luma. If Luma was left out, I could hit Zelda with them for free. This behavior hasn't changed. However, after taking a few smash attacks and jabs and aerials with Rosalina and Luma together, the Amiibo at least seemed to understand that certain "blind" areas around Rosalina were still unsafe because it kept getting hit. Lulu eventually made the adaptation, and would only go in with momentum that would go through or around Luma. I can't remember how many (if any) matches I won against Lulu, but eventually it was dominating me just like how it was when I was playing Zelda and Ganondorf.

I played a couple Shulk games and it was the same story. Lulu adapted really quickly and blew me up. I don't think I took a game off of it as Shulk.

I had my roommate play against Lulu at that point. My roommate is a Mario main in Melee, and that's their main game, but they still beat me more often than I beat them in Smash 4. This was the real test to see if the Amiibo was playing well or if it had just learned to counter my playstyles.

Out of about 7 games, my roommate only managed to win one, because Lulu SD'd the first stock by teleporting under the stage. "This Zelda is too good. We need to destroy it."

My other roommate who is a Dedede/Yoshi/Luigi player also played against Lulu the next day, and he couldn't do anything to it.

Later that day is when it starts to get weird.

Inspired by Lulu, my roommates decided to begin training their Mario (named "Mike Ross") and Luigi (named "player two") Amiibos. "Mike Ross" was trained to about level 23 with Mario mirror matches exclusively played on Omega Gamer ("I want Mike Ross to have a FIELD ADVANTAGE on Omega Gamer!"). "player two" was trained against Yoshi until about level 14. At that point, my roommates decided to make the Brother Amiibos fight each other in order to level up.They each went up about 20 levels over the course of probably ten matches or so.

The two Amiibos spent a lot of time standing around, and when they did interact with each other, it was a lot of jumping past each other while air-dodging back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. Eventually one of them would stop and hit the other with a smash or a grab. At one point, "player two" used Luigi's down-taunt to ledge-guard and was successful in taking "Mike Ross"'s stock. Nothing else of note happened during these matches as far as I know. "Mike Ross" won most of the matches.

"Mike Ross" finished leveling up by playing mirror matches with my roommate's Mario. Again, after level 50 it began to win consistently.

After Mike Ross played a few matches at level 50, I decided to pit Mike Ross against Lulu to see what would happened. We started them off on Battlefield. This is the weird part: when the match started, both Amiibos just kind of stared at each other. This was to be expected from Mike Ross, who had never played against a Zelda, but I had assumed Lulu would have some idea of what to do because of its previous experience playing against my roommate's Mario. However, Mike Ross was the first one to drop down from the platform. Mike Ross went on the offensive first.

After taking a couple hits, Lulu began to move around a little, and would shield and airdodge, but Lulu had almost completely stopped attacking. Most of the attacks Lulu did throw out whiffed, and the ones that did hit only ever sour-spotted.

Mike Ross was playing exactly the same way it was playing against "player two".

Lulu would play the short-hop into air-dodge dance with Mike Ross, but Lulu would always stop after one or two air-dodges, and then would just stand there until Mike Ross hit it with a grab or a smash (mostly grabs). Mike Ross 2-stocked Lulu and had only taken about 80% damage. We had them play about 4 more matches against each other. Lulu never even attempted a f-air or b-air until the third game. Lulu was constantly running up to Mike Ross, and stopping until it got hit. It spent a lot of time doing nothing, so Mike Ross was free to attack as it pleased. I was confused and disappointed, but I figured I could remedy the situation the next day and I went to bed.

The next day, I loaded up Lulu to play Zelda mirrors again. I hypothesized that because I had played a fairly aggressive playstyle for much of Lulu's "training", I would then play as close to like the Amiibos as I could. I had assumed that once Lulu went back to playing against humans, it would start kicking ass again, but that's not what happened. Even when I played agressive, Lulu was super passive and wasn't reacting like it had been two nights ago.

I started playing super defensive, and I wouldn't move until I was in immediate danger. I was using jabs and f-tilts on reaction a lot of the time, and would occasionally spam Din's Fire when Lulu was taking too long to come over to me. The goal was to train it to handle defensive playstyle as well as the more aggressive and "human" styles it had already been accustomed to. After a couple of sessions of playing, Lulu is a little more proactive, but it still walks rather than runs most of the time. It isn't landing nearly as many sweet spots as it had been. It's better than it was at the end of the second night, but nowhere near as strong as it was at the end of the first night. Lulu's been in game a total of maybe 4 hours at this point.

Mike Ross still beats Lulu and player two and every human player it fights on a regular basis.

I'm really confused as to why this happened. I understand the Amiibos continue to learn after level 50 (in fact, I was counting on it), but Lulu abandonded practically all of the tactics it had learned after playing against other Amiibos. I've yet to hear of Amiibos UNlearning things, so what could cause this? Does anyone else have any theories? I've seen a few glitches and issues that others have encountered and the theories behind them, but I have yet to hear of an Amiibo getting worse after improving so much. Sorry for the wall of text, but thank you for reading if you got this far and I would be grateful for any thoughts or opinions.

TL;DR My Zelda Amiibo was really strong, then it played against a Mario Amiibo and now it plays like garbage and I am really confused and honestly a little upset?? Does anyone have any theories or explanations as to how or why this would happen? Thanks.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Our Zelda amiibo happens to be very grabby, and I'm wondering if pitting my Link against her is what made him spam grab attempts in his next match... fortunately, he only did it that one time against Fox (I need to put the two together to see if he does it again) so I don't think he's permanently "damaged." Your experience is a common fear of mine, though - I always worry that they can be "tainted" by just one wrong influence, and no amount of training will ever totally clean them of a particular habit they might've picked up. It also might just be against a specific matchup. Who knows?

In other news: My original Toad from Gamestop was cancelled because of the problem with the gift card (good thing I knew the problem ahead of time, because they didn't even give me a reason). I snagged a new order from GS as soon as I saw it available... and then a few hours later, my Toad from Walmart showed up at our door. So, yay, now I'll have one for display and one for play.

Last edited:

Matt H

Smash Rookie
It's definitely not matchup specific. The only real difference I notice is that the Amiibo will react to humans more often than it will react to other Amiibos (at least the Mario Amiibo, the Luigi isn't level 50 so I haven't bothered making them fight). It's super weird. It looks like it's just intentionally letting the other Amiibo win.

Purio

Smash Cadet
I picked up my Toad Amiibo at GameStop the other day. I've been debating if I wanted any others, mostly eyeing Luigi as he's always been my favorite. When I got there... Kinda splurged and bought all of them! The Mario w/ Mario Party bundle too, haha! I love how they have much different designs than the Smash ones. I think it's rather interesting having them displayed next to each other and that they respectively capture the styles of Smash and Mario Bros.. This is what really draws me to Amiibos, not only are they sweet add-ons to games, but really nice figurines for display.

With that my collection is nearly complete, only waiting on Shulk to come in May. ... That and waiting for the next Wave...

OH! And Gold Mario, but honestly I have little to no interest in. A gold Luigi on the other hand...

Last edited:

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
About King Dedede and Meta Knight being available on GAME...

I've been checking back everyday for what...a month now? King Dedede is always in stock, Meta Knight jumps on and off throughout the day, but other than that, he's always in stock. Shulk on the otherhand? Never in stock.

Winner-Bit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twistbit
3DS FC
1977-0793-0839
My Toon Link has become a monster.

So there's this weekly Smash meet-up in my hometown, with quite a few quality players (probably even small-tournament level) getting together every Saturday. The head of the gathering had trained a Donkey Kong amiibo to the point that he couldn't even get a stock on him. "TrophyKong" was completely undefeated.

I spent all day yesterday leveling my new Toon Link amiibo (who I named "Spillgrim," a play on Scott Pilgrim) to 50, and I trained it for two hours exclusively against Donkey Kong. I 1v1'd him with DK, team-battled him with DK -- even pitted myself and six level 9 CPUs against him. All DK.

And by the end of the night, considering he had seven giant apes after him, he was doing pretty damn well.

Saturday. I bring Spillgrim, he brings TrophyKong. We set up a 5-stock match. Spillgrim destroys TrophyKong twice before losing a stock. End results: Spillgrim wins, 3 stocks up, 48%.

Funny thing is, though, we also challenged each other's amiibos as real people. Each of us played best of three 3-stock matches against the other person's amiibo. Both of our amiibos took out the human player 2 out of 3 times. (Yes, this also means I beat the previously-indestructible TrophyKong. It wasn't for lack of trying, though.)

I personally love how Spillgrim learned from me how to do two-jab combos, rather than continuing to follow through to the third and final jab. This allowed him to chain normal-A attacks without the opponent flying away from him. He caught me in it once, and drove me from 0% to about 55% without even trying. He also spams projectiles and Down-Air like my play-style too, although he doesn't do it as recklessly as I do.

I'm having way too much fun with this. xD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yay! I got Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Toad amiibos today! My boyfriend keeps Mario Party 10 at his place since we play games in his place more than in my place.

Maybe next month or two, we will get them again to play the amiibo boards.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman

My current amiibo collection! All from GAME, NONE ordered online from scalpers or otherwise! Never give up!

From left to right, back to front: Linkelf, Sparky, P. Diddy, Shelly, Goku, Sheikira, Chrom and Sanic. :)

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
My current amiibo collection! All from GAME, NONE ordered online from scalpers or otherwise! Never give up!

From left to right, back to front: Linkelf, Sparky, P. Diddy, Shelly, Goku, Sheikira, Chrom and Sanic. :)
The names of your amiibo are really familiar... Did you enter some at an Amiibo tournament at CoinItUp arcade a couple weeks ago?

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'm probably gonna have to pay 30 bucks to import Dedede. I'll have him by the end of the week hopefully.

If Wave 4 goes without preorders I'm gonna have to really drive places for Pac-Man and Wario (and Ness if I'm lucky)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
So here is my amiibo collection at the moment:

From left to right, we have: Cynthia, Leroy, Rosie, Rock and Tino II.

Still waiting word from GameStop on my Shulk pre-order. Hoping to hear from them around the time Xenoblade Chronicles 3D comes out, but who knows. And I'm waiting for the wave 4 line to come out so I can get Lucina...and maybe Robin since there's a possibility he will be the next rare thing.

I just need those 2 (or maybe 3) in my collection and my amiibo hunting bull**** will be over.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
My Megaman amiibo has been "out for delievery" all day (it's 8:40PM now). You had one job, OnTrac. Oh well, the previous estimate was thursday so I'm fine with more waiting.
Also ever since I've been using http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/games/amiibo/ nothing out of ordinary has ever been in-stock. The amount of "out of stock"s on the page is gross.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My mom got me a couple of Gold Mario in the middle of a rural town she was driving by on Saturday morning.

I've checked out so many SMALL towns via texting friends.

I truly hope all future waves are not like this- and I fear each wave too much. It's ridiculous.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
My Megaman amiibo has been "out for delievery" all day (it's 8:40PM now). You had one job, OnTrac. Oh well, the previous estimate was thursday so I'm fine with more waiting.
Also ever since I've been using http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/games/amiibo/ nothing out of ordinary has ever been in-stock. The amount of "out of stock"s on the page is gross.
It's Sunday, mate.

Walmart had some Mario series Luigis and one Bowser. Not sure if they even had Peach or Toad. To be honest this could be a "Luigi is in good supply" kind of thing but I feel more like it's "no one wants to but Luigi" and that makes me sad because he's probably my favorite one of the bunch. I'll buy you one day when I have money.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
It's Sunday, mate.

Walmart had some Mario series Luigis and one Bowser. Not sure if they even had Peach or Toad. To be honest this could be a "Luigi is in good supply" kind of thing but I feel more like it's "no one wants to but Luigi" and that makes me sad because he's probably my favorite one of the bunch. I'll buy you one day when I have money.
Eat your words, mate, it came

Gutei

Smash Cadet
"Eh, I'll probably buy a Link amiibo and Marth, then I'll stop."

"Well... I should add Yoshi and ROB to round out my mains from each game."

"Well.... I really like the Zelda series... Soft cap 6, hard cap 8."

And then you get a bunch of credit on Amazon and get rid of an extra Gamecube. So much for limiting yourself, right?

Anyone else holding out for ROB? I want to know my competition since he's really the only one I desire that's left, besides the probably Mewtwo amiibo.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
A fellow Yoshi/R.O.B. main! We should mirror-match and trade notes.

To answer your question, R.O.B. and Mewtwo are the last two big-ticket amiibos on my list. I'm still collecting them all, but if I were to stop now I'd still be gunning for those two.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Wii Fit Trainer is on her way :D Now I just need Lucina, Robin, Ganondorf and Mewtwo and I'm DONE with this nightmare.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Would be a lot easier if I had good enough internet to actually play online. -_- Sorry. Unless you live near Pittsbugh, it's very unlikely to happen.
I do live in Pittsburgh! What are the chances? I'll PM you and see if we can't set something up.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
"Eh, I'll probably buy a Link amiibo and Marth, then I'll stop."

"Well.... I really like the Zelda series... Soft cap 6, hard cap 8."

And then you get a bunch of credit on Amazon and get rid of an extra Gamecube. So much for limiting yourself, right?

Anyone else holding out for ROB? I want to know my competition since he's really the only one I desire that's left, besides the probably Mewtwo amiibo.
I have a feeling that when I run out of amiibo characters that I actually want I'll turn into a crazy collector.
Though that will never happen because everyone I want costs like $40+ and I will never give into scalpers

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I think R.O.B will get two versions: a grey one for the West and a red and white one for Japan. Collectors will be crazy.
I'm going crazy. Mostly because I prefer the red and white Japan color compared to the gray.

Last edited:

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
Toad came yesterday! His amiibo looks adorable. The Hide and Seek feature in Captain Toad is pretty fun (and challenging). I tweaked my display a little bit, more space between each figure, added the back of Toad's box to my Wall of Amiibo Functionality, and my Smash CD came in today so I added that as well to the background.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
So I guess Wave 4 NA Pre Orders are never gonna come :\ I'm getting tired of this.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Toad came yesterday! His amiibo looks adorable. The Hide and Seek feature in Captain Toad is pretty fun (and challenging). I tweaked my display a little bit, more space between each figure, added the back of Toad's box to my Wall of Amiibo Functionality, and my Smash CD came in today so I added that as well to the background.

requesting close-up of those pop-tarts

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I hope that rumour was true. No preorders and limited to one different amiibo per person.
The problem is I would need to schedule I-don't-know'which-day off work to line up in front of I-don't-yet-know-which-store and pray they don't pull the TRU "You only get one total." Theoretically, pickin's should be easier if all of the stock is in store, but the lack of info is making this a huge problem. For me, I probably won't even get that day off if I can't schedule it at least two or three weeks in advance, so I've had to preemptively call off the 20th so I can hopefulyl reschedule it later

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
The problem is I would need to schedule I-don't-know'which-day off work to line up in front of I-don't-yet-know-which-store and pray they don't pull the TRU "You only get one total." Theoretically, pickin's should be easier if all of the stock is in store, but the lack of info is making this a huge problem. For me, I probably won't even get that day off if I can't schedule it at least two or three weeks in advance, so I've had to preemptively call off the 20th so I can hopefulyl reschedule it later
We wouldn't need this if Nintendo actually listened and produced more amiibos ):

Top Bottom