• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just bought my first Amibo from a friend (he was selling an extra Mega Man for $10). I only wanted Palutena, but now I see why everyone is trying so hard to collect these. I regret not grabbing a Pit while I had the chance.

Does anybody else notice that rarity of the Amiibo connects to the rarity of that series' games? Maybe it's just me, but since you don't find a lot of Kid Icarus, Earthbound or Fire Emblem merchandise, there Amiibo tend to be a lot rarer. Or maybe I'm just talking nonsense since that doesn't explain Villager's rarity.
That theory isn't the end all be all, but it's a factor for some characters.

There are outliers though - Rosalina & Luma is one of the rarest globally despite being two of the most well known characters on the roster. Then Ike, who is quite niche, while rare in the US, is bloody everywhere in Europe. Easier to find than Mario, since Mario actually sells.

izumisempai

Smash Rookie
That theory isn't the end all be all, but it's a factor for some characters.

There are outliers though - Rosalina & Luma is one of the rarest globally despite being two of the most well known characters on the roster. Then Ike, who is quite niche, while rare in the US, is bloody everywhere in Europe. Easier to find than Mario, since Mario actually sells.
I can't say much for every place, but all the US store exclusives like Lucario, Metaknight and Rosalina have been rare regardless of their series. But yeah, can't say for certain because there are plenty of outliers. Since people are speculating that Robin, Lucina, and Ness will be the rarer ones, they'll go for them which I think might contribute to them being scarce.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I honestly don't think Robin and Lucina will be that rare. Probably the most common FE characters, and they HAVE got two months of production. Sonic had 1 month of production, and he is everywhere. Mega Man had 2 months, and is also everywhere.

Awakening was quite successful for Nintendo, to the point where it saved the otherwise dead Fire Emblem franchise. Nintendo have to be stupid to not produce more of that game's main protagonists. Plus, they have the Codename STEAM functionality to back them up.

izumisempai

Smash Rookie
I honestly don't think Robin and Lucina will be that rare. Probably the most common FE characters, and they HAVE got two months of production. Sonic had 1 month of production, and he is everywhere. Mega Man had 2 months, and is also everywhere.

Awakening was quite successful for Nintendo, to the point where it saved the otherwise dead Fire Emblem franchise. Nintendo have to be stupid to not produce more of that game's main protagonists. Plus, they have the Codename STEAM functionality to back them up.
I've actually never considered the thought of a character's months of production, thanks for that. It makes sense for those two to have more production. Hopefully for future games Nintendo could continue restocking some of the rarer Amiibo. If a game like Pokken Tournament comes out for the Wii U, I want to be able to buy Lucario.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Lucario isn't rare in Europe, and he is the most common exclusive even in the US. You should be able to get him somewhere.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Meta Knight and Gold Mario are easier to find in the US, and even they are hard to get.
Gold Mario hasn't even been announced for the EU yet.

And Meta Knight, Shulk, and King Dedede had almost all of their shipments meant for the EU cancelled outright, so they basically don't exist here either. I already have Shulk and Dedede secured for me by a friend, fortunately.

-------------

I JUST GOT SOME GREAT NEWS

I was expecting a grant payment today, so I waited anxiously to see if it would come.

I got not one, but TWO payments worth.

So I've ordered Mario (Smash), DK, and Pikachu for delivery for €12 each, and they should arrive Monday at the latest. I have a reservation on Kirby who I will pick up tomorrow. And then I'm gonna pick up Toad. And if I can find them in the wild, I'll pick up Bowser (Smash) and Toon Link too.

Then I'm only missing Meta Knight and Little Mac (latter of which I have on back order). And then Dedede and Shulk are secured for me.

Dark Dr. Pink-Gold Pit Jr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
Gold Mario hasn't even been announced for the EU yet.

And Meta Knight, Shulk, and King Dedede had almost all of their shipments meant for the EU cancelled outright, so they basically don't exist here either. I already have Shulk and Dedede secured for me by a friend, fortunately.
I was referring to the US.

Lucario isn't rare in Europe, and he is the most common exclusive even in the US. You should be able to get him somewhere.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
So I think the only downside of painting a normal Mario amiibo is that the M logo detail (and maybe even the eyes?) wont be shown. I could live with it though...

Dark Dr. Pink-Gold Pit Jr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
I've heard more people say Lucario is the easiest to get, and was the most plentifully stocked. Even at the recent Nintendo World Store restock of exclusives, Lucario was the very last to sell out, lasted a whole day apparently.
I browse the amiibo subreddit a lot; many more Meta Knight sightings than Lucario, and Gold Mario is even less hard. Lucario has not been very availiable since February (not counting the NWS) but Meta Knight has been popping up.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I browse the amiibo subreddit a lot; many more Meta Knight sightings than Lucario, and Gold Mario is even less hard. Lucario has not been very availiable since February (not counting the NWS) but Meta Knight has been popping up.
Well it stands to reason that there would be more subreddit posts about more recent Amiibos (I check it daily myself) than past Amiibos, but that does not reflect their rarity in the grand scheme of things, especially since you still see Lucario posts there on occasion.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
So how are Mario-series amiibos doing in terms of availability? Can I expect to find Luigi in any store that sells video games? Also got Gold Mario today. I'm not gonna sell him but I dont wanna touch the box at all, even to remove the sticker...

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
Gotten a :4sonic: and :4megaman: today at a mall. I was attempted to get a :4bowser: as well but I didn't want to spend more then I needed to.

Now got two more in my collection! Also, is there's any signs for a Ness pre order? I want to ordered one quickly as possible.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
So this weekend Gamestop is doing buy 2 get 2 free on all amiibo/NFC figures, and starting sunday up until the end of the week Target is doing 25% off all amiibo/NFC figs

Reaver2Kull

Smash Rookie
Can anyone tell me how can you teach an amiibo to utilize crashrun effectively. Also where would be a good place to order amiibos.

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499

JipC

Smash Journeyman
http://www.gamestop.com/collection/preowned-gaming-figures

Too bad it's only on the pre owned figures. I honestly never seen a pre owned Amiibo before, lol.
Pre-owned? Screw that, I thought it was brand new. I dont even know why they bother taking those back. At least theres still the target deal.

Can anyone tell me how can you teach an amiibo to utilize crashrun effectively. Also where would be a good place to order amiibos.
You can't really teach amiibo tricks or techniques or anything like that. The AI really isn't that deep, and they get auto-stat boosts when they level up and you cant turn them off.

Last edited:

Reaver2Kull

Smash Rookie
Pre-owned? Screw that, I thought it was brand new. I dont even know why they bother taking those back. At least theres still the target deal.

You can't really teach amiibo tricks or techniques or anything like that. The AI really isn't that deep, and they get auto-stat boosts when they level up and you cant turn them off.
That's weird. One of my friends somehow taught his Samus how to use crashrun. Maybe that was a fluke then. Well that sucks. Thank you for answering my question. Btw what do you mean they get auto - stat boosts when they level up? That's the first time I heard about that.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
IMAG0168.jpg

Couldn't find Smash Bowser (found plenty of the Super Mario version though) or Toon Link anywhere, so it's only these two for today. I'll have to buy them online or maybe try to get to a different town.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
If there happen to be any pre owned SMB Luigi figures, I might just have to go shopping this weekend at GameStop, there are still some common Smash amiibos I want (even though my backlog for amiibo fighters is getting larger, I havent touched :4tlink: Makar or :4sheik: Impa yet. Or I could still just snag Peach, Zelda, and Bowser all for $26 even if Luigi pre owns arent available.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
http://www.gamestop.com/collection/preowned-gaming-figures

Too bad it's only on the pre owned figures. I honestly never seen a pre owned Amiibo before, lol.
Same. I've only seen like one picture of used amiibos from gamestop. Someone on reddit somehow got like, a used Rosa Fox and Lucario.

I even went to my gamestop quickly to ask if they even had any. The guy kinda looked at me weird like (who on earth would trade in amiibos to gamestop) and said no.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Okay so I have a little breathing room in my paycheck now so I went for a hunt. Went to Toys R Us and found this majesty.

Sorry for the bad angle but iPhone camera pretty much sucks ass. But yeah, it's amazing since the Amiibo section only used to be a third of this a few weeks ago.
It's safe to say that Shiek and Sonic are as plentiful as Pikachu and Zelda. Megaman is pretty sparse but I managed to get one. They even have plenty the Mario Series guys. Plenty of Toads and Peaches.
Sadly no sign of Dedede, Ike, or Lucario but it's definitely an improvement.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
All these stores, cleaning out inventory.
Interesting....

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So are amiibo cards still (potentially) a thing, or are figures still the way to go?
Amiibo cards have already confirmed to be in the works at a Nintendo Investor Meeting, with the two main purposes being to use them as "portable" Amiibos, and to provide a cheaper alternative for those who just want the functionality and don't care about/can't get the figures.

-----

If any of you are passing buy Target today or something, check the Amiibo section. A few Targets have had 1 or 2 wild Rosalinas show up in their stores. Mind you, this isn't a literal restock (which is why I wouldn't go too out of the way for these), these Rosalinas were either previously held up in the Port Strike, or they were simply lost out back for a while and put on the shelves when found.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
maybe they are shipping out more of the waves I heard something at my tru that they were getting more amiibo like kdd by at least 3 diffrent employees but take with a grain of salt

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So it seems Bowser and Toon Link don't exist in Ireland anymore. There may be some lying around in the odd Smyths store, but they aren't on the site, and GameStop and Argos don't have them either. Had to resort to Amazon UK, and Toon Link was actually above MSRP there. :\

Still, at least I have them out of the way. Though won't be arriving until the 8th or 9th of April (the former is my birthday though, so pretty timely).

Last edited:

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
So I'm nearly giving up hope on GAME getting a re-stock of Shulk, Meta Knight and King Dedede, which is upsetting because I was going to buy either MK or D3 yesterday, but nooo, they had to go out of stock. Pfft.

I have yet to see a single Toon Link in the UK, which is very disappointing because he ranks high in my Wave 3 priority list...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
On the topic of availability in US of the exclusive figures,
I want to add that Shulk is the easiest to get, by a dramatic degree.

• Gamsetop (Shulk) has over 4,000 stores in the US, versus Toys R Us, which has just under 900.
  • Gamestop handles the preorders better. They rarely sell their stock early, as well, whereas Toys R Us has frequently sold Amiibo preorders out from underneath the holder.
  • Gamestop also put Shulk up for another release order in May.

Lucario may have had slightly larger stock, but not divided among those stores; the misappropriation of those resources, as well as the single-time availability, also make him more common.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Is YesAsia a good source for importing Amiibo? It looks pretty legit like PlayAsia.

Purio

Smash Cadet
Is YesAsia a good source for importing Amiibo? It looks pretty legit like PlayAsia.
While I never ordered Amiibo from them, I have ordered a few other things several times. I never had any issues. It will take a while to get delivered, but if you can wait it is worth it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Nope. There hasn't been a single pre-order opportunity in North America (and given that this is the wave that includes characters like Ness, the new amiibos seem like they're going to be hard enough to find as is). I remember reading that Nintendo was waiting to see how the port strike and its after-effects would effect the amount that they could ship before they announced release dates and pre-orders, but I can't remember what website I saw that on.

Top Bottom