• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The Gold Amiibo situation from this point forward will really dictate how I feel about Nintendo, unfortunately.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I seriously hope Nintendo does not make a Pink Gold Peach amiibo. The whole situation with the Gold Mario amiibo is really bad and it makes me dread the inevitable Metal Mario amiibo.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Apparently Walmart opened three different times for preorders.
Why doesn't any one have more info on this?

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the rumors that there would be no pre-orders was a hoax put on by the scalpers themselves...

Here's how I feel about amiibos right now... I'm going to finish my Smash collection, because I've come too far to stop now. After that, they're dead to me. I have no further desire to buy them after this and it seriously hinders my desire to support Nintendo as a company.

A boycott wouldn't even help in this situation because that'll just make them easier to obtain by scalpers. Nintendo's put us all in an uncomfortable position, one that even puts us in real, tangible danger - whether it's getting into a screaming match or fist fight with some unscrupulous line jumper or hypothermia from standing outside in sub-zero temperatures for these things, the fact Nintendo doesn't care about these things is turning them evil.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the rumors that there would be no pre-orders was a hoax put on by the scalpers themselves...

Here's how I feel about amiibos right now... I'm going to finish my Smash collection, because I've come too far to stop now. After that, they're dead to me. I have no further desire to buy them after this and it seriously hinders my desire to support Nintendo as a company.

A boycott wouldn't even help in this situation because that'll just make them easier to obtain by scalpers. Nintendo's put us all in an uncomfortable position, one that even puts us in real, tangible danger - whether it's getting into a screaming match or fist fight with some unscrupulous line jumper or hypothermia from standing outside in sub-zero temperatures for these things, the fact Nintendo doesn't care about these things is turning them evil.
Truer words have never been spoken.
In other news final payed for a slightly over priced :4metaknight:
Meaning I have them all including wave 4 :4ness::4pacman::4wario::4charizard::4robinm::4lucina:
Meanwhile over here we have heard no news about Golden Mario coming to anywhere but the US.
Speaking of which why don't Nintendo just make the damn things purchasable through there store.......

AquaInferno

Smash Apprentice
No GOLD Mario for me. Such a sad day for amiibo. I'm with Kenbo, I have 29 SSB amiibo I may as well finish that. Once I finish this set I'm done. I'm moving to the normal part of the forum for actual Smash discussion. Bottom line: amiibo suck!

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
So I finally got around to ordering Bowser. This puts me at 22 figures. Just need;

:4littlemac::rosalina::4shulk::4tlink::4lucario::4dedede::4metaknight:.

Not bad, if I do say so myself. *adjusts tie*

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hope Nintendo is done with amiibo once all Smash and Mario figurines are out... no more amiibo... I hope they don't make Zelda and Pokemon amiibo. Can you imagine what would happen if Nintendo made special Four Swords amiibo with Red Toon Link, Blue Toon Link, and Purple Toon Link? Or special Pikachu amiibo like Surfing Pikachu, Flying Pikachu, and Cosplay Pikachu?

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I hope Nintendo is done with amiibo once all Smash and Mario figurines are out... no more amiibo... I hope they don't make Zelda and Pokemon amiibo. Can you imagine what would happen if Nintendo made special Four Swords amiibo with Red Toon Link, Blue Toon Link, and Purple Toon Link? Or special Pikachu amiibo like Surfing Pikachu, Flying Pikachu, and Cosplay Pikachu?
Nobody would buy them. We'll all be broke before then.

I do fear a Pokemon line, because I've gone through this conversation with myself in my head a thousand times. "Nope! I won't do it. I will not collect the Pokemon line. It's not worth having them all. Maybe... maybe I'll just get the Pokemon I like, so... Mewtwo, sure. Malamar, definitely... oh, I'd have to get Inkay too, won't I? ...Nidoking, would they make Nidoking? Vileplume and Electrode are givens too... omg is that a Charmander I need it?? I remember Lapras, I have to have that one... wow I can't believe they made Stunfisk, please and thank you... Umbreon, that's mine... That Arcanine's pretty cool, I'm not the biggest fan of that one but it looks really nice so I want it..." etc.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Truer words have never been spoken.
In other news final payed for a slightly over priced :4metaknight:
Meaning I have them all including wave 4 :4ness::4pacman::4wario::4charizard::4robinm::4lucina:
Meanwhile over here we have heard no news about Golden Mario coming to anywhere but the US.
Speaking of which why don't Nintendo just make the damn things purchasable through there store.......
You and others who say they have wave 4. How (some UK company?), and, I imagine that just means preordering... which I know is not always a sure thing.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Went to try and find Shulk, Dedede, and Mega Man this morning - only one place got Mega Man, and they had sold out of him in the first thirty minutes. :ohwell: I think I'm going to start pre-ordering at this rate; not being able to find Shulk is understandable if EB Games is only sending out enough to cover pre-orders (though that's a ridiculous practice if true - why bother with making it exclusive to one place if they're going to make it almost impossible to get?), but the amount of work that I have to do just to get one or two non-exclusives is ridiculous!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

I do fear a Pokemon line, because I've gone through this conversation with myself in my head a thousand times. "Nope! I won't do it. I will not collect the Pokemon line. It's not worth having them all. Maybe... maybe I'll just get the Pokemon I like, so... Mewtwo, sure. Malamar, definitely... oh, I'd have to get Inkay too, won't I? ...Nidoking, would they make Nidoking? Vileplume and Electrode are givens too... omg is that a Charmander I need it?? I remember Lapras, I have to have that one... wow I can't believe they made Stunfisk, please and thank you... Umbreon, that's mine... That Arcanine's pretty cool, I'm not the biggest fan of that one but it looks really nice so I want it..." etc.
Pokémon Amiibo would be just like Smash for most of us. If they made a Pokémon line, it would sell. People would want them. You buy one, you want two more, and from there it goes on to consume your income.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pokémon Amiibo would be just like Smash for most of us. If they made a Pokémon line, it would sell. People would want them. You buy one, you want two more, and from there it goes on to consume your income.
I would be fine with Pokemon amiibo but since we have problems with scalpers and extremely limited supply, I hope Pokemon amiibo does not happen.

If the Pokemon amiibo does happen, the only Pokemon that will be always fully stocked is Pikachu while all the other Pokemon are rare and discontinued. :rolleyes:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I continually wonder how a Pokemon line would be handled.
I'd love to say I wouldn't get it, but I know I would. In fact, I think I'd get more invested in that then any Smash line, In fact, I'm sure it would be even more difficult than Smash- there is the continual chance we would get more, would never know which Pokemon were going to be chosen, and they would be extremely popular but probably even less produced as they are more niche.

I'd need to follow them for years, probably, never knowing when updates are, and paying the price when I missed even one update. I'd need to garnish help from every amiibo hunter, friend, and family I have.

Even a 'just starters' line, would be 54 Pokemon. And that isn't even including a guaranteed Pikachu/line, and potential Eevee line.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The biggest problem I've had with Amiibo is controlling myself. The more rare they become, I tell myself the following things:
  • I won't buy inflated price
  • I end up preordering from multiple locations/regions
  • I feel a necessity in keeping my backups in case I miss one later on
I wanted to save money, and now I think that my spreadsheet shows I've spent over 1000 with just 29 figures.
:4mario::4luigi::4luigi::4peach::4peach::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:
:4link::4zelda::4zelda::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4tlink::4tlink::4tlink::4pikachu::4lucario::4lucario::4lucario::4lucario::4pit::4pit::4pit:
:4kirby::4metaknight::4metaknight::4dedede::4dedede::4villager::4villager::4fox::4fox::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4wiifit::4wiifit:
:4megaman::4megaman::4megaman::4sonic::4sonic::4sonic::4samus::4samus::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4marth::4marth::4myfriends::4myfriends:

The thing is... I don't really know how to NOT get doubles of some, and still make sure that I get any.
Preorders are cancelled, and if I ask friends to checkout sores on launch days, I'm not going to tell them not to pick up the figure because I got it, that would only make them feel unhelpful, and the LEAST I can do for a friend who woke up early and waited in line for hours without me, is give them the satisfaction of knowing they helped.

Add in Super Mario :4mario::4mario::4luigi::4luigi::4peach::4peach::4bowser::4bowser::4yoshi::4yoshi::substitute::substitute:
That is a total of 81 amiibo.
And I still have full plans to get Gold and Metal Mario, and :4mario::4yoshi::4dk::4link::4pikachu::4kirby: for doubles.

jaketheknight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaketheknight
3DS FC
4854-6438-8016

Umbreon and I'm done. *continues to buy all eeveelutions, starters, pikachu variants, and golden bidoof*

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
'Nobody would buy them' was sarcasm. Of course it'll sell. It's Pokemon. However, I don't think it'll sell as well to collectors who are already burned out with the Smash line.

When you think about it, those of us who are collecting the entire set are already spending over $700. By the time you've factored in taxes and shipping costs, it's closer to $800. This is just ~50 figures. Now, multiply $12.99 (plus tax) by 721, and add in a variable for shipping costs and scalper fees. Even if they don't actually make one of every Pokemon, the total cost of that collection will be staggering. If someone is collecting all of them, they might need an intervention.

Umbreon and I'm done. *continues to buy all eeveelutions, starters, pikachu variants, and golden bidoof*
Oh geez, I hadn't even considered variants... this is going to get ugly.

...Anybody think they'll have exclusive event-based Pokemon amiibos like they've always done with exclusive Pokemon, like Mew?

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Also considering how their priorities are in stocking certain series in the Smash line, looks like the Fire Emblem Amiibo line likely won't happen.
:crying: No Anna Amiibo?.....

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
'Nobody would buy them' was sarcasm. Of course it'll sell. It's Pokemon. However, I don't think it'll sell as well to collectors who are already burned out with the Smash line.

When you think about it, those of us who are collecting the entire set are already spending over $700. By the time you've factored in taxes and shipping costs, it's closer to $800. This is just ~50 figures. Now, multiply $12.99 (plus tax) by 721, and add in a variable for shipping costs and scalper fees. Even if they don't actually make one of every Pokemon, the total cost of that collection will be staggering. If someone is collecting all of them, they might need an intervention.

Oh geez, I hadn't even considered variants... this is going to get ugly.

...Anybody think they'll have exclusive event-based Pokemon amiibos like they've always done with exclusive Pokemon, like Mew?
I think it is highly improbably that there will be all Pokemon. Even back in the 90s with Pokemon Trading Cards, it took three or four different iterations (by Fossil, Team Rocket... maybe even by the Gym Leader collections) before we saw even 151 Pokemon represented.
If cards cannot manage to produce a line of 151, I doubt figures will be quick to jump on over 700 figures.

They already had amiibo-like figures for Pokemon Rumble, and they only made about 30. I expect types of packs for the Pokemon, and unfortunately, each one will probably contain a new Pikachu, and some special, even particularly rare, Pokemon.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just found out about these Earthbound figures in Japan, and I'd love it if even a handful of these were turned into amiibos. I wouldn't even care that they'd basically never be used in games; they'd just be nice to have.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Is the woman in red on those EB figures Ness's mom? Also, I would kill for the monkey and Mr. Saturn to get re-released or amiibo'd or somethin'.

D

Deleted member

I just found out about these Earthbound figures in Japan, and I'd love it if even a handful of these were turned into amiibos. I wouldn't even care that they'd basically never be used in games; they'd just be nice to have.

Shame the only EarthBound merchandise that'll be released out of Japan is the Ness amiibo, and just trying to get one of those will be a nightmare.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would not be shocked if Pokken got Japanese-only amiibo.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
I'm tempted to go look instore tomorrow while I'm in town...but my gut instinct tells me it'll be in vain...what to do...

On a side note;

I'm not interested in the Gold Mario. I'm collecting the Smash line plus Toad and that's that, until a Fire Emblem line comes out.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just bought Gold Mario... GO NOW WALMART WEBSITE NOW!
My boyfriend managed to get it for me!!! I didn't even get an email notification but he did!!! To a gamer like me, my boyfriend is the best boyfriend ever!!!

Last edited:

AquaInferno

Smash Apprentice
Good luck everyone on your hunt for silver and gold. I'm sure gold Mario will go back up for sale again.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Yes. It's gone. :(

My boyfriend managed to get it at 4:00 PM.
I seriously just checked at around 3:45. I just missed it by being too early.

But I DON'T want it... I don't.... *rocks back and forth in the fetal position*

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
So for today's Amiibo hunt:
Went to Toys R Us first. Found this:

That's three Sheiks in there. (Are they uncommon?) This one's for @im just peachy .:awesome:
Also found like 20 Toon Links. No Sonic or Megaman in sight.

Went to Best Buy and walked to the Amiibo section. They had another Sheik and another Toon Link. Then this guy walks behind me and has a freaking Sonic in hand! He tells me that it was the only one they had aside from preorders. Gaaaahhh lucky!!!! He also took the Sheik and Toon Link from the shelf.
Unrelated, but they also had a Mario Party 10 demo. The mini games were alright and Rosalina was playable. Will look to getting this game.

Walmart had a load of Pikachus and a few Luigis. Definitely an improvement from the violated Peaches from earlier. There were also two guys in front of me also on the Hunt. They got nothing.

GameStop had nothing extra so I just grabbed a Luigi and called it a day. I'll go back for a Toon Link later.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
GODDAMMIT! I'm on this damned website all day and then I take a break and THAT is when walmart has it. LIke ten minutes later.

I never get these stupid email alerts. I'm so ****ing annoyed.

jaketheknight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaketheknight
3DS FC
4854-6438-8016
GODDAMMIT! I'm on this damned website all day and then I take a break and THAT is when walmart has it. LIke ten minutes later.

I never get these stupid email alerts. I'm so ****ing annoyed.
Welcome to my life. *single party popper goes off*

Top Bottom