• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
"They're not tutorials, but let me explain exactly how they are tutorials".

You're playing through small chunks of existing stages with specifically set up challenges for specific mechanics with the difficulty of the missions increasing with each mission. That is exactly how the tutorials for different mechanics in other team based online games work.
No, they're literally the same stages you play in the main campaign just using the roller/charger/et cetera. Tutorials are designed specifically to teach you how to use the weapon, and seeing as how these were built with the Splattershot in mind, they're clearly not tutorials for these weapons.
The MK8 costumes, for example, are just small cosmetic bonuses that don't effect gameplay, but have a unique aesthetic based on the actual character I scanned in. Rather than feeling cheated out of content that actually has universal relevance to every player (gear and weapons with status effects), you get content based on the Amiibos you happened to be collecting and using in other games anyway, so it feels personalised, and those who didn't care enough about Rosalina as a character to get her super hard to find Amiibo at launcg, for example, won't be missing out if they can't use the Mii costume in MK8. This content is smart because it doesn't effect gameplay and helps personalise your experience with the game based on the characters you like most. Splatoon doesn't do that. It's just locking generic content behind a pay wall. I mean, I wouldn't even have minded if they felt like adding gear to the game as DLC, and just made it packs or something. But the content the Amiibos do offer is not worth by any stretch.
A unique character-based aesthetic is nice to have, but I don't see it as a make-or-break deal. Although if you wanna talk about the unlock reflecting the amiibo you scanned in, how about that amiibo appearing in-game and talking directly to you? Because that's what happens in Splatoon.
A) They're unique content that you can't get in any other way, that's significant enough for me to raise an eyebrow, especially since one is available in the game.

B) That's completely different because that mode is designed around using Amiibos as peripherals. Naturally, you can't unlock the mode without an Amiibo, because the mode has no use without the constant implementation of Amiibos and their ability to save little bits of data on the fly. Splatoon just requires you to scan in the Amiibo once to unlock the missions, then you play the missions to unlock the stuff, and then you never touch the Amiibo again.
A) So, like most of the other amiibo-exclusive content?

B) It's not designed around using amiibo. It has an amiibo skin and makes you tap them every five seconds, sure, but everything you do in that game could easily be done without amiibo. You could have profiles for the stands, press a button to roll, etc.
No they aren't, not in the slightest.

Smash allows you to train up a personal "Figure Player". It's like a pet that you watch grow and learn from you. It's really playing with the fact that you are using an Amiibo of a specific character, and you try to help that character grow, and can take it to your friends house to play and pit it against their Amiibos or have it fight alongside you.
Similarly, Splatoon plays with the whole amiibo aspect by having it show up in the game and talk to you, complete with retail packaging.
Nothing is locked away from you here.
Except, you know, the whole train-a-fighter mode.
It was built to help sell Amiibos, and did it without making players who don't want them feel left out, as you can still play as the characters anyway. It's not a side challenge, especially since you never have to even fight against your Amiibo if you really don't want to.
A side challenge is something that's not required to "beat" the game, and with Smash, you don't have to touch amiibo to complete the single player modes (in fact, they can't even be used there).
Mario Kart unlocks cosmetic bonuses that personalise your Mii around the characters you like most and probably already own.
And Splatoon unlocks cosmetic gear (if I'm not mistaken, any gear can have any effect, but I'm not sure about this) that personalize your Inkling.
Mario Kart's Amiibo functionality was not designed to sell Amiibos, it merely gives them extra value, evident by the fact there isn't even a Mario Kart Amiibo line.
All amiibo functionality is meant to sell amiibos. Nintendo is a company with the goal of making money (like every other non-non-profit company), and the more value an amiibo has, the more people will want to buy it.
Wooly World allows you to use any variant of Yoshi Amiibos to have a partner Yoshi that mimics your movements and can generally help you out as you play through the main game. Once again, much like the Smash Bros functionality, you are interacting and "playing with" your figure.
And Splatoon allows you to use an Inkling amiibo to use a different weapon that alters your playstyle as you play through a variation of the main game.
Splatoon is just locking generic (i.e. it isn't very specifically associated with the characters the figure represents), significant and should be complimentary content behind an unjustified pay wall.
It is associated with the character in that you're putting it on the main character. It would be odd to put an Inkling hat on your Inkling, after all. I wouldn't say that slightly tweaked story levels, a bit of extra gear (like the Mii outfits you pay for in Smash via DLC, and which amiibo also give you, which I feel is worth pointing out), and a couple of shallow mini games are a necessity.
It's clearly designed to make players feel like they are missing out on substantial content if they don't fork out half the game's worth of money for these figures (and not even all regions have access to the 3-pack either - plus, in Europe, the only way to get the Squid Amiibo is to fork out extra to have it bundled with the game - unfair for those who would like to utilise the eShop discount provided by the Global Testfire Demo).
If people feel like they're missing out on something (which could happen for the other games), they'll want to buy the figures, which is good for Nintendo.

I don't feel like we should hold amiibo availability (or lack thereof) against the game.
Of course you could, but the difference is those games all justify it.

Smash and Mario Party have Amiibo functionality that just serves no purpose without the Amiibos. They both encourage you to bring your Amiibos out of your home and into other peoples homes to use your own personalised character in some way. Training a Figure Player in Smash serves no purpose in Smash if there is no Figure to go along with it, or if I can't conveniently bring it around. The internet workaround you mention is a compromise - it makes the feature worse. And regardless of whether or not you like Amiibo Party compared to other Mario Party games, the exact way the mode is designed doesn't work without them (it seems you're thinking less about the read/write functionality and more about the boards, which aren't the main mechanic).
I've stated how Amiibo Party would work just fine without amiibo above, so I won't repeat myself. I don't see how using the Internet would make the feature worse. A bit inconvenient perhaps, but you wouldn't need to carry around the figures.
You could wear a Yoshi suit in Mario Kart without an Amiibo, but it'd likely be paid DLC like the Mii Fighter costumes in Smash anyway.
What makes you say that?
But since the main advertised features of the Yoshi Amiibo are in other games, throwing small little, cosmetic bonuses into other games is fine, since it only matters to people who like Yoshi, and people who like Yoshi would probably buy a figure of him anyway for those other games where he has a bigger use. So it feels more like you are getting a bonus based on the characters you like, since you would naturally buy figures of them anyway.
Similarly, the Splatoon amiibo functionality only applies to people who like Splatoon (and most likely the Inklings as a result). I don't know what Splatoon fan wouldn't want to get an Inkling amiibo unless they just disliked the figures or something to that effect.
All of the other Amiibo uses up to Splatoon follow those similar two patterns, and furthermore, they don't intrude the main game. They are either isolated experiences designed with the read/write functionality in mind, or they are naturally integrated, personalised bonuses that don't intrude or side track you from the main experience, merely enhance it based on the personal preferences you have regarding famous Nintendo characters.
Splatoon's amiibo functionality is an isolated experience. It doesn't have any read/write stuff going on, but it adds tons of content that doesn't really interfere with the main game aside from the gear that should act similarly to the other items in the game. You can play through the enitre game and have an absolute blast without touching the amiibo support, but if you do, you get a nice little treat for your efforts.
Splatoon just takes these new characters and attaches generic, but significant unlocks to them, and you will only use them once in their main game.
Splatoon takes these new characters, puts your figures right into the game, and instead of putting an Inkling hat on your Inkling's head, it gives you fresh new twists on existing missions, simple little minigames to kill some time on, and stylish new gear that helps you express your personality and trick out your Inkling. You're encouraged to use them multiple times due to the number of missions they unlock, plus the added challenge of finding the best and fastest way to clear each challenge with these new weapons. And if you think that a game that brings your figures to life, gives you sixty missions to play with new rules, gives you new gear to trick out your Inkling with, and has the cherry on top that are the little minigames has the worst amiibo support, then I highly disagree. That honor goes to Xenoblade 3D for me (by the look of things anyway; haven't played that game myself).[/quote]

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No, they're literally the same stages you play in the main campaign
They're not, they are remixed, bite sized chunks of them, designed for training you in the use of specific weapons. Tutorials.

A unique character-based aesthetic is nice to have, but I don't see it as a make-or-break deal. Although if you wanna talk about the unlock reflecting the amiibo you scanned in, how about that amiibo appearing in-game and talking directly to you? Because that's what happens in Splatoon.
STOP THE PRESSES THE CHARACTER TALKS TO ME AS AN NPC

Yeah that's not exactly "playing with the character" still, it's just an aesthetic.

A) So, like most of the other amiibo-exclusive content?
No, as I outlined, it isn't.

B) It's not designed around using amiibo. It has an amiibo skin and makes you tap them every five seconds, sure, but everything you do in that game could easily be done without amiibo. You could have profiles for the stands, press a button to roll, etc.
The Amiibos in Mario Party allow you to use those Tokens and save them to the Amiibo, so you can take both your base and your tokens to your friend's house. This would be impossible without the Amiibos. So yes, it's perfectly justified.

Except, you know, the whole train-a-fighter mode.
It's not a mode. Smash mode is available without Amiibos. Amiibos are simply as special AI partner you can train in that mode. It's not the same as unlocking exclusive tutorials, gear, and bonus games. Stop trying to split hairs and say "DUH IT'S UNLOCKABLE BECAUSE I NEED THE AMIIBO". It's not the same thing. Amiibo in Smash are not unlock keys for content, they let you train a partner and save it in the figure, and bring it around to other systems. It's NOT possible without Amiibos. What Splatoon is doing is locking content behind a pay wall, in a full price game that is already devoid of content at launch. That's completely absurd. Especially when the Squid Amiibo can only be obtained through the 3-pack (US), or bundled with the game (Europe). The latter is actually at odds with the Splatoon Demo promotion too, which makes it even worse.

I'm not continuing this discussion since from past discussions I know you to be a Nintendo Apologist anyway, and I don't enjoy discussing the negative aspects of Nintendo's games with people like that. Splatoon looks like a great game mechanically, but feature wise, it's devoid of content at launch, when any other online shooter has those things and more at launch. And then it locks some of that content behind a completely unreasonable pay wall (and what's more, they figures will probably become scarce, especially in Europe).

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
I made my Level 50 Link train my Level 1 Toon Link. Toon Link took a lot of time to get to level 50.
In the first minutes, Toon Link was just using every attack possible. I guess he was testing to see what worked. He once hit Link with a down air, then he started to spam down air until Link started to punish him for it.
As time passed, Toon Link became really good in dodging and attacking between openings. He could hit his opponent a lot while avoiding some attacks. The thing is, he didn't know how to finish his opponent. He would make Link get to high percentages... and then jab or grab or something else. Link would kill Toon Link like 6 times until he eventually died because his percentage was insanely high.
Now Toon Link is level 50 and is a capable fighter, but Link is still slightly better than him.
So once you see that couldn't you just jump in a match with him and show him some kill moves? I mean, I'm doubtful that the amiibos could train the others all by themselves, but I do think that they could help in the department where you need to show them how to play against different characters.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
So once you see that couldn't you just jump in a match with him and show him some kill moves? I mean, I'm doubtful that the amiibos could train the others all by themselves, but I do think that they could help in the department where you need to show them how to play against different characters.
While I could show him my moves, I choose not to just to see what would happen.
But I can say that when you put two level 1 amiibo against each other, they get really strong at the end. I've done that a lot.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Marth was on Amazon US for MSRP but he sold out.

NWS got a restock of Ike, Meta Knight, and Sonic today.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
http://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/359myp/rosalina_fox_wii_fit_trainer_and_pit_reprints/

For Japan, May 14th restocks for Pit, Fox, WFT, and June restocks for Mega Man and Rosalina.

Not sure if this is good considering I just got my Rosalina today. Though I do need WFT. Regardless, NA just can't catch a break. lol
I AM SO HAPPY YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW RIGHT NOW!
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR SHARING THAT!

Edit: Pit preorders up on Playasia!
Ordered mine, here's hoping there's no cancelling involved.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What's MSRP? o:
Also upset that I missed out on a chance for Marth.
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Basically, about $14. Normal price.

...Which makes me sad. Wonder when the in-store restock will be for the USA...

D

Deleted member

If only retailers could actually tell us in advance when amiibo pre-orders come out. Ain't nobody got time to camp out in front of their computer pressing F5 every half a millisecond!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If only retailers could actually tell us in advance when amiibo pre-orders come out. Ain't nobody got time to camp out in front of their computer pressing F5 every half a millisecond!
Or you could just use an Auto Refresh extension for you web browser (Chrome in the case of this link).

-------------

Well this is a thing you can get now (click image for Amazon.com page):

While it's not official, it apparently works. The same people made one for Skylanders in the past (in fact you can still see various Skylanders elemental emblems on the thing).

It basically allows you to directly edit your Amiibo data. I think you can even remove the automatic multipliers Amiibos have in Smash for their damage and what not.

However, by far the coolest feature is that you can store your Amiibo data here too. So if you want to back it up in case you lose it, you can. This also means you could use, for example, a Mario Amiibo in Smash, back the data up here, and then use the same Mario Amiibo in Mario Party 10 without having to worry about losing your Smash data.

Just so it's clear though, you CAN'T use it to change the "identity" of your Amiibo. So you can't just buy a Mario Amiibo, put it on this, and rewrite it's ID to be a Villager Amiibo, for example. You'll still have to buy each character if you want to use all of them. It does at least mean you won't need two Mario Amiibos to use them in two different read/write games.

Last edited:

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
Or you could just use an Auto Refresh extension for you web browser (Chrome in the case of this link).

-------------

While it's not official, it apparently works. The same people made one for Skylanders in the past (in fact you can still see various Skylanders elemental emblems on the thing).

It basically allows you to directly edit your Amiibo data. I think you can even remove the automatic multipliers Amiibos have in Smash for their damage and what not.

However, by far the coolest feature is that you can store your Amiibo data here too. So if you want to back it up in case you lose it, you can. This also means you could use, for example, a Mario Amiibo in Smash, back the data up here, and then use the same Mario Amiibo in Mario Party 10 without having to worry about losing your Smash data.

Just so it's clear though, you CAN'T use it to change the "identity" of your Amiibo. So you can't just buy a Mario Amiibo, put it on this, and rewrite it's ID to be a Villager Amiibo, for example. You'll still have to buy each character if you want to use all of them. It does at least mean you won't need two Mario Amiibos to use them in two different read/write games.
Honestly not surprised.It IS Datel,after all.
Anyway,lemme just update you all,then I'll go back to life.
Mains collected::4mario::4luigi::4falcon::4dk:
Others collected::4sonic::4bowser::4megaman::4diddy::4kirby:
Shipping at the end of the month,I think.::4pacman::4shulk:
Mains wanted but not released yet::4drmario::4ganondorf::4rob::4bowserjr::4duckhunt:
GameStop couldn't get order in for:4wario:,might try again or something.
Future consideration::4pikachu::4gaw::4fox:(Why did you have to become uncommon
?WAI?):4falco:
Not sure how rare Doc,Gan,Jr.,& the retro crew are gona be,but might as well try when the time comes.
If
is ever confirmed,you better believe I'll try to get his amiibo.
2 more things.
1:Can we even call Wave 5::4palutena::4darkpit: a real wave?My friend says it's like "Wave 4 part 2",or "Wave 4.2 "or something like that.
2:WHY IS :4falco: BEING HELD OFF UNTIL PROBABLY THE LAST WAVE?IT MAKES 0 SENSE!
I am done.

Last edited:

Seige

Smash Cadet
Apparently you've never seen Web Novel/Light. Novel posters who post in about 5 seconds after the chapter is posted... Most of the time faster than the translator(the guy who posted it)

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I can already imagine Game&Watch being unicorn status.

Just realised that the shipping of the Pit amiibo made it cost just as much as It would if I got it off E-bay...
50 bucks..
*sigh*

Last edited:

umbreonly

Smash Rookie
Brand new to Smashboards so please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong!
Signed up just to ask about problems with my amiibos. I just got them and started training yesterday, but I ran across a few problems. The CPU typically plays them pretty badly, so I think that might be the problem.
My Robin amiibo won't stop charging all the way to Thoron, even though I only charge to Arcthunder and only to Thoron as a kill-move. He likes charging to Arcthunder, immediately shielding (I guess I taught him that? It's my habit), and charging up until Thoron throughout the match, rinse and repeat. He also never edge guards and going for the Elwind spikes despite how I've done that to him numerous times, at best he throws up an Arc fire when I'm recovering low. He did kill me with a back air Levin sword once though and I was pretty proud.
Shulk won't ever use the appropriate Monado, such as using Shield when his percentage gets high or Smash when mine gets high, despite how I use it. I usually start off the match with Speed, which he also never copies. What he usually does is go for jump, which is good, but not like... Every single time. He also spams jabs, even when I'm open for much harder punishes.
Marth well... Just won't stop spamming side B.
Robin and Shulk also both have the irritating habit of up smashing, which I guess is their counter measure to my jumping, since I approach/retreat usually with jumps, but I usually avoid them pretty well and punish (Shulk with Vision and Robin with a grab), but they still insist on using it, even if I'm adjacent to them.
Any tips on how to train them properly and get rid of the bad habits? I've looked at quite a lot of training guides and have already reset Robin once, but they still pick up the same habits.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592

[snipped image]

What effect would this have on possible amiibo tournaments?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just got :4dedede: in the mail today.

Got it used, but I don't mind as long as it still looks good, which it does (definitely one of the best looking amiibos, up there with Mega Man/Mario/Link/Samus/Mac). Came with the opened box, which it was cut out of without ripping the cardboard. I don't even know my I've held onto 21 damaged boxes now. lol

Seige

Smash Cadet
I suppose it could regulate them, and make it easier to have specific types of Amiibos.
Can we enter Amiibos into tournies now ;)

@ umbreonly umbreonly
Wow uh... The only thing I can think of is to keep rinse and repeating what you do, since it looks like there's no other way to train it if you've gone through it perfectly...

Last edited:

Raccoonman_900

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RMan_900
3DS FC
1418-6736-6840
Switch FC
SW-5350-0976-4122
I just cannot believe what came in mail today. It came much earlier than I thought. My Japanese :4pacman:and:4charizard:amiibos arrived! Finally, my first Wave 4 amiibos! Here's the picture.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I just cannot believe what came in mail today. It came much earlier than I thought. My Japanese :4pacman:and:4charizard:amiibos arrived! Finally, my first Wave 4 amiibos! Here's the picture.

Amazing!
Wave 4 is definitely the best looking wave so far. All the Amiibos are on point!

Seige

Smash Cadet
Actually now that I think about it, is it bad that I only buy good characters in Smash? Lol. Well so I randomly went to a gamestop today in a mall, I found
:4diddy::4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi:
I felt like I should have bought the Diddy because there was one left.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Do people ever actually buy opened amiibos, even with the casing gone?

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I don't open mine, but I have opened doubles of the ones I want to play with. Even more if I count the ones my girlfriend keeps and opens.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
I open all my amiibo, I get them for play and display (ooh, rhymes).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I had an awful start to the day today, but something came in that cheered me up:

Am I a leprechaun yet?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So basically going by what I just saw on the amiibo reddit, you'll be lucky to have a Target store get four Robins/Lucinas and maybe two Marths, if Marth doesn't go online only. Information came from a known Target employee with access to the system.

Some "restock", Nintendo of America.

Top Bottom