• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

Smash Journeyman
I teamed with Ka. He's basically my brother XD

No, I didn't know you could up-b walljump at PS. Good find.

General tips for new Mario: Do the combos and get the basic techs down? XD
dont give him too much advice eggz:chuckle: . eggz how do you do vs ka? i have terrible problems with luigi.

dp how many boards have you try it on?

Eggz

Smash Hero
I generally play fox because its much more fun.

But for Mario vs Luigi, just know when you can and can't combo him. Use your cape and bair for ledgeguards alot. Predict his double aerials.

Once you can read a Luigi, all thats left is comboing. So a Luigi will always

1: Try to pressure you with double aerials
2: Try to N-air out of your combos
3: Wavedash approach with either ftilt usmash jab grab jab or dsmash. maybe even an aerial.
4: They will always save their down b for the last second

So using all of that, just find ways to counter that.

Peterk

Smash Rookie
eggz i was watching ur vids on youtube (by the way they are awsome!) u were playing gimpy and i was wondering how you do the mario torando going up for recoveries

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Tap B really fast but make sure you jump right out of it otherwise you'll lose the height that you gained from the tornado

Roughly comes out too about 15 B taps a second

Smash Journeyman
also remember that the tornado can move similar to luigi's cyclone but not as far but it help give you leveridge going horizontal. and the tornado can be used as mindgames for a edge hogger. just beware of egde hogged bairs.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Everyone [ I know] talks about the tornado like it's impossible, I see my friend dying when they try to do it and I just gain lots of height, it's pretty valuable if you ask me.

Smash Journeyman
Everyone [ I know] talks about the tornado like it's impossible, I see my friend dying when they try to do it and I just gain lots of height, it's pretty valuable if you ask me.
yea true when i learned it i used it so many different ways. i have learned to combine doing it vertical and horizontal. red exodus do you count yout taps like most? im not the best mario but i have never counted it once.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Lol I can't practice since I don't have my GC so everything I hve to learn is actually in a battle, so I don't get to count the taps but I know I tap as fast as I can and jump out of it before I lose the height I gained.

Smash Journeyman
Lol I can't practice since I don't have my GC so everything I hve to learn is actually in a battle, so I don't get to count the taps but I know I tap as fast as I can and jump out of it before I lose the height I gained.
its like mario tornado comes naturally to me.

i wanted to ask maelstrom a question do you really find yourself needing to wavedash out of your shield?

cuz i need to really get that down i was wondering how much would you say it is needed in a fight and should i get that down?

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
i wanted to ask maelstrom a question do you really find yourself needing to wavedash out of your shield?

cuz i need to really get that down i was wondering how much would you say it is needed in a fight and should i get that down?
It's useful. I usually use it against Marth to avoid his laggier hits and just wavegrab/wavejab out-of-shield. That's the textbook case, though you can use it in a bunch of other scenarios. There's no reason to avoid learning it, given that more options in Smash typically gives you an advantage.

Peterk

Smash Rookie
ya see i can do it now but to an extent like when eggz duz it he flys to the edge more while my tornados just go directly up

Renth

Smash Hero
ya see i can do it now but to an extent like when eggz duz it he flys to the edge more while my tornados just go directly up
whenever i tornado i start it with down b and hold towards the stage the tornado going straight up is useless.

Coin Chaser

Smash Journeyman
jeez, i think there should b a stickied thread for the amount of times ive seen someone explain to someone else how to use down-b as a recover....i dont mean to dis u at all peterk...

i recommend u try using double jump immediately after using down b to get max height

if u DIed up while revovering u dont need vertical get back so u should down-b then cape and leave ur jump for last so u dont get edgehogged

---hope that helped

mario-man

Smash Lord
I'm still trying to remember to double jump LAST and not FIRST. Lol I keep forgetting.

Zombies!

Smash Rookie
yea, for some reason i can't seem to get shuffl'd uairs correctly, i'll get it sometimes but i can only get like 2 on average. what's the best way to do them? with the c-stick? whenever i use the joystick and A i usually go up after the uair :[

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
It really doesn't matter but i do use the c-stick because it moves a lot faster then usual and you can chain them better then other people can with Up and A

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
i used to have that problem, but what i did was pratice sh to ff, the basics, until i was able to get it correctly. then i added in the airs, then l-cancelling. with the pratice i always did the shffls against my friends so it would become natural to me. whatever situation your in, always pratice the move. also for uairs, stick with c-sticking. it's alot easier if you do so.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
What is the timing needed to cape Link and Young Link's bombs so that they get reflected and do not explode in your face? From my observations it seems you need to hit it with the end of the move animation when the cape is no longer swinging... but I'm really not sure at all.

I do realize that grabbing the bomb can often be a better option; but the more possibilities, the greater the mindgame potential.

Renth

Smash Hero
What is the timing needed to cape Link and Young Link's bombs so that they get reflected and do not explode in your face? From my observations it seems you need to hit it with the end of the move animation when the cape is no longer swinging... but I'm really not sure at all.

I do realize that grabbing the bomb can often be a better option; but the more possibilities, the greater the mindgame potential.
The bomb reflects almost everytime if you do a reverse cape. use the cape to turn around so the bomb flies at your back. I find it easier that way, you can cape it reguarly but it's harder and will explode in your face more often.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Thanks Renth, I noticed you doing that in a recent vid on youtube. Even if I could get the timing down just right facing them, reverse caping does set you up to follow-up with a BAir, which is almost always sweet.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Hmm...shorthop reverse cape bair? Woah, I'll try that against Deva this weekend. =D Then again, I got caught up trying to powershield all his stuff last time and that almost cost me the set LOL

Anyways...>_>; That's all I came in here to say apparantly...cha.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
In case anyone else was wondering about the bomb-caping, I discovered last night that you can cape them regularly without too much difficulty. You just have to do it early so the cape is already behind you and only the magical invisible hitbox is in front. It definitely takes more timing and prediction, so I'd only use the regular cape when you can tell ahead of time that the bomb is going to be thrown.

Smash Journeyman
It's useful. I usually use it against Marth to avoid his laggier hits and just wavegrab/wavejab out-of-shield. That's the textbook case, though you can use it in a bunch of other scenarios. There's no reason to avoid learning it, given that more options in Smash typically gives you an advantage.

ok thx i i have ti down now i'll be putting up vids soon.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
Ive got a qeustion...

Is it necessary to L cancel the bair?

And secondly...ive seen some of Eggz vids... and somehow he waveland after doing the bair with a shorthop...

And thirdly the air up there said that you should throw up in the air to start a combo
but isnt it better to throw downwards?

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
The BAIr does not require L-cancelling even when FF'd if you do it while rising.

That is called the SHABAWD (Short-Hop-Air-Back-Air-Wave-Dash) and it is possible because of how the Bair autocancels itself. this isn't too difficult if you don't FF... I'm not even sure if it is possible fast-falled. Basically just airdodge into the ground after a rising SH BAir.

yes, downthrow usually works better- except against characters that are fast-fallers like the space animals; and falcon at really low percentages

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
About the SHABAWD, does anyone know exactly when to waveland after the short hopped bair? When I go to practice and turn the speed down to 1/2, I seem to be able to do it about half the way through Mario's spin after performing the bair. But at normal speed, I just can't seem to do pull it off in time.

(A) Does it require un-godly speed?
(B) Must you perform the SH Bair a certain way?
(C) Do I just suck? XD
(D) All of the above.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out. It's really discouraging not being able to do this despite it sounding so easy.

Eggz

Smash Hero
About the SHABAWD, does anyone know exactly when to waveland after the short hopped bair? When I go to practice and turn the speed down to 1/2, I seem to be able to do it about half the way through Mario's spin after performing the bair. But at normal speed, I just can't seem to do pull it off in time.

(A) Does it require un-godly speed?
(B) Must you perform the SH Bair a certain way?
(C) Do I just suck? XD
(D) All of the above.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out. It's really discouraging not being able to do this despite it sounding so easy.
As soon as the b-air ends, you'll basically be doing a near completely horizontal waveland (if your cool enough)

Practice doing short back hop perfect wavelands first. It'll basically give you the timing. Once you have the timing for that down, just kick in a perfectly rising back air.

I'll go with B on your given options =]

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
That makes sense, except for the part about being cool enough to horizontal waveland- that part makes perfect sense. Thanks a million.

And why did you change your avatar? You were like the only person on this entire site that could rock the Freakazoid avatar. :)

Eggz

Smash Hero
Haha, I decided to sport an infected mushroom, as its going to be the theme for my next sig, the paint job on my controller, and my combo video.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Gimpyfish62
Master of Bowser

you are no fan of the mario universe then! >=(

Top Bottom