• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternatives to DACUS?

Smoom77

Smash Master
I've always wondered about this. Why can't you do a Dash Attack Canceled Down Smash or Forward Smash? Is that just the way it is, or is there a reason?

Smoom77

Smash Master
It's not possible because it's not possible?

Is there a REASON to why it's not possible?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
If it is technically possible to cancel a dash attack into something besides a Usmash, they won't be any use anyways.

I'm not going to hop on my Wii and test if you can cancel a dash attack into anything else, because I already know they are useless.

The point of the DACUS is the horizontal momentum you get out of it, but Dsmash and Fsmash both cancel any momentum you have when on the ground. That's why a hyphen smash works with Usmash and none of the others.

Ozone.

Smash Rookie
Because you can do an up-smash at anytime when you are on the ground. Running or dashing. But if you could do forward smash or downsmash it would just be plain cheap. In DACUS you are cancelling the animation btween dashing and going into a dashattack. So if you are still technically in a dash, you can cancel it with an upsmash and use the momentum of the dash attack to go flying.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Because you can do an up-smash at anytime when you are on the ground. Running or dashing. But if you could do forward smash or downsmash it would just be plain cheap. In DACUS you are cancelling the animation btween dashing and going into a dashattack. So if you are still technically in a dash, you can cancel it with an upsmash and use the momentum of the dash attack to go flying.
I believe this guy has it. You are still registered as being in the dash, but have the speed of the dash attack. It also explains why it works best with the likes of Sheik and Snake, who have very quick surges of speed in their dash attacks, and can slide for miles in their DACUS.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Short answer: The Up Smash is the only smash attack you can perform out of a dash. See the above two, who have it right, if you want more detail.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Also, the reason you can do an upsmash out of a dash has to do with the way the game handles up on the control stick.

When you press up on the control stick, you go into your "start jump" animation. But if you press up during that time, the game realizes you want to upsmash, and not jump.

In Melee this let you upsmash while running. I am not sure why csticking the upsmash works in brawl, but I wouldn't doubt it being a similar concept.

Meese

Smash Cadet
but then that would mean you can DACgrab, right?
Yes, thats the basics of boost grabbing. It's most apparent with the reverse boost grab.
Falco's use this a lot if theyre going for a dthrow chain and have there backs to the edge of the stage and want to go for a spike. You still get the slide, it looks awesome with the reverse.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Also, the reason you can do an upsmash out of a dash has to do with the way the game handles up on the control stick.

When you press up on the control stick, you go into your "start jump" animation. But if you press up during that time, the game realizes you want to upsmash, and not jump.

In Melee this let you upsmash while running. I am not sure why csticking the upsmash works in brawl, but I wouldn't doubt it being a similar concept.
Csticking works in brawl because when you input a cstick direction, the game counts it as you pressing a direction and the A button at the same time. So its the same thing as pressing Up and then A a few frames later in melee (JCed Usmash outve dash)
but the button inputs happen at the same time cause of the way brawl reads the Cstick.

Top Bottom