• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

alternative palettes?

Zeox

Smash Champion
and i'm not talking about just different colors, but also different shirts, hair styles, etc... just like the villagers, or maybe even some of them making references, like splat tim or the squid sisters, do you think they would do something like that?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I'd say no to splat tim and Grandad Mario. I do not think Nintendo would want to put in memes as skins.

I imagine the colors would be the colors that are possible for inklings to appear as appear in matches

As for alts, I wouldn't expect just regular gear to show up.

If anything, it would be the Splatoon 2 designs. IMO at least.
:061:

Neon._.Boi

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3591 5927 6691
I think it's a safe bet to say that the alts will have different gear/hairstyles if villager is anything to go off of. The main girl/boy inklings of Splatoon 2 are definitely going to be alts. The gear will probably consist of what's in the second game tho.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Alt gear/colors are free game, though I'm unsure of hairstyle/more than half being split between male/female models. (as in no specific characters/Octolings).

A White Ink palette would be the dream though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I imagine Inklings will have a set up like Villager, 50/50 M/F, Hairstyles, Clothing, etc.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
My ideal palatte would be:

For the female side

default female Splatoon 1 hair/outfit
and 2 palettes based off of Callie and Marie (just the hair and outfit as they were is Splatoon 1)

default female Splatoon 2 hair/outfit
and 2 palettes based off of Pearl and Marina (just hair and outfit as they are in Splatoon 2)

for Male Inkling side

default male Splatoon 1 hair/outfit
Splatoon 1 Story costume
Power Armor outfit

default male Splatoon 2 hair/outfit
Splatoon 2 story costume
Power Armor Mk.1 outfit

And finally Octolings (this would be the same as Olimar and Alph or Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings)

But realistically it will probably be a couple of basic hairstyles and outfits from both Splatoon 1 & 2 and some that are based off of Callie, Marie, Pearl, and Marina in color only and maybe default octolings.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
if they stay true to the series, their hair color and ink will be random every match. hopefully it's that and the skins are different gear and hair styles like the villagers

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I'm hoping against hope that Callie and Marie will be alt skins, a la Alph and the Koopalings.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Honestly, these are the skins I want:
  • Inkling girl from splatoon 1
  • Inkling boy from splatoon 1
  • Inkling girl from splatoon 2
  • Inkling boy from splatoon 2
  • Callie
  • Marie
  • Peal
  • Marina

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I know that Pearl and Marina won't be costumes because of the height difference, but I really want to see their Tupac/Biggie costumes appear in the background in one of the stages.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
In Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, three different versions of each inkling were available: two based on amiibo and one extra one. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar in Smash. Maybe something like this?
I'm not sure what they'll do with the final 2 slots. If that want to keep things equal between the genders, they could have Agent 3 costumes for the inkling girl and inkling boy from Splatoon 1. Or they could go with Callie and Marie. An Octoling alt is also a possibility. Agent 3 costumes would probably be the easier way to fill those last slots though.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
  • Splatoon 1 girl
  • Splatoon 2 girl
  • Splatoon 1 boy
  • Splatoon 2 boy
  • Agent 8 Octoling
  • Antagonist Octoling
  • DJ Octavio colors (boy)
  • Male Octoling (Octo Expansion)
If Octolings are a clone later in development (I see them as the second most likely clones after Yarn Yoshi), the Inklings have alts using the Set 2 amiibo colors and Callie/Marie colors. Octoling has ones based around Pearl and Marina, as well as a second generic set.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I doubt there are going to be costumes based on any characters in the Splatoon series (aside from potential DLC costumes). I think they're all just going to be different colors, skin tones, hairstyles and gear, with 4 males and 4 females. I'm guessing the colors will be Orange, Blue, Pink, Green, Yellow, Teal, Purple and Lime Green.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Not a fan of adding in Callie, Marie, Pearl, or Marina. Personally, I'm really hoping for Villager-esque alternates:

Two Inkling girls and two boys from Splatoon 1, and two more Inkling girls and boys from Splatoon 2. These are all Inklings used in promotional art for their respective games, makes an equal cut between genders and games, and includes all eight primary colors used in Splatoon.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Two dark skinned alts, PLEASE. One girl and one boy. Customization is such a big thing in Splatoon and it should be represented in Smash, too.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I want them to have a white haired/ink alt.

Because then you turn into a Blooper from super Mario Bros when you turn into a squid.

HairMythe

Smash Cadet
Not a fan of adding in Callie, Marie, Pearl, or Marina. Personally, I'm really hoping for Villager-esque alternates:

Two Inkling girls and two boys from Splatoon 1, and two more Inkling girls and boys from Splatoon 2. These are all Inklings used in promotional art for their respective games, makes an equal cut between genders and games, and includes all eight primary colors used in Splatoon.
While I do like that version of their palettes, the way the two regular inklings stand out with their minimalistic gears bother me... So maybe without headgear ?

I really don't see the four idols as alternate skins like Alph. They'd fit way better as stage backgrounds like KK. What's more, each of them have a different weapon of choice, so it'd be weird to have them fight with the exact same moveset.

Reila

I was hoping for the Inkling girl from the Splatoon 2 cover to be an alt, but no luck. At least there is a dark skinned alt, but I don't really dig that outfit. I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I was hoping for the Pink Inkling Girl and Green Inkling Boy from Splatoon 2 as well. Too bad. It would have made a lot of sense as they are on the cover of Splatoon 2's box art.

I really would have used Green Inkling Boy had he shown up. Guess I'll use Blue Inkling Boy.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really like the Yellow and Green Inkling colors and those are the ones I'll probably use when I use Inkling

Yellow reminds me of Chobits or something

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have an image of the alts yet?

Edit: also I'm looking at them in the game play clip and I see orange, blue, yellow, green, pink, teal, purple, and violet. Conspicuous lack of red. I've never played splatoon before. Are they too concerned it'd look like blood?

Yellow reminds me of Chobits or something
I was reminded of Elsa from pokemon b&w.

Last edited:

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have an image of the alts yet?

Edit: also I'm looking at them in the game play clip and I see orange, blue, yellow, green, pink, teal, purple, and violet. Conspicuous lack of red. I've never played splatoon before. Are they too concerned it'd look like blood?
Yeah, they’ve only had red ink for a special event in Splatoon since it looks too much like blood. In smash, it also might be for colorblindness since the green color is almost yellow.

I’m actually looking for pictures too, I just need the blue and dark purple alts and I’ll post them

Edit: all the alts except the standard boy
6CD6B93B-A11D-422B-9347-B234570E799A.jpeg
CBDCA439-BC93-45D0-B3FB-2EC6FE3BDB2D.jpeg
BF6A8CBA-6416-4846-9481-6A90D9DF9CC7.jpeg
1A057667-9DE3-4EE1-8832-9F188B6D35E4.png

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Since I was curious and was starting to do the work for it, would anyone be interested in what all these outfits reference?

Reila

It’s not exact, but we did get an alt that’s pretty close to Splatoon 2 cover girl.
It is not close at all. Different hair, hat, clothes. Everything. The similarity is the skin tone.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
It is not close at all. Different hair, hat, clothes. Everything. The similarity is the skin tone.
I was thinking “girl with pink hair in a baseball cap” when I typed that out, but I guess that’s a little too general for “pretty close”.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I hate that light blue one. I swear it's going to be my punching bag.

Top Bottom