• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Palette Contest: Round 5 Zelda Open

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It’s fine if you use a color swap that you previously made.

Also, don’t forget that there’s one more day left before the judging process begins so make sure you get your Ryu color swaps in if you haven’t. Also, it would be great if this content could get more participants so if you have the chance, please invite anyone who may be interested!

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Round 3 is officially closed! Thank you for thesubmissions! The judging process should be finished within a day or so.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Round 3 Winner: Akuma Ryu CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica

Congratulations CaptainAmerca
Score: 49

The judges would like to thank all the contestants in creating amazing Ryu palettes. The judges felt there were tons of great submissions that truly made a case for these swaps to be included should Ryu return again.

Notable Mentions

Remember that a Notable Mentions means that your submission had made it to the judging process. We normally judge based on four chosen submissions but this time we increased it to five due to reasons.
Hinata Hinata Evil Ryu: 46
@Starcutter Violent Ken Ryu: 44
Uffe Uffe Dan Hibiki: 42
@Oddball Dan Hibiki: 47

Once again, tried to get this done quick. I'm super in love with this contest, and I'm always excited to find out who's next so I can get my renders in.

Evil Ryu

Origin
This skin originates from many Street Fighter games, and represents Ryu if he were to give in to the Satsui no Hado, an evil energy that flows through him. However, this particular render takes heavy inspiration from Evil Ryu's apperance in Street Fighter IV.

Source Image

Hm, I don't really think Ryu has a lot of options to get creative but I tried.

VIOLENT KEN RYU

Based off Violent Ken, a version of Ken who is possessed by M. Bison's Psycho Power. That's why I tried to make him glow, haha
Ryu is tough - Don't really know Street Fighter, but here's my hand at it.

Based on Akuma

Dan Hibiki First appeared in Street Fighter Alpha
Well, now I feel bad. I had the exact same idea. Here's my version.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Congratulations once again, CaptainAmerica~ Your recolor was easily the most elaborate of them all, so you deserve the win~

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Round 4: Single Color Palette Swap for Spring Man

Here is our second newcomer round and the first result of our character poll! Spring Man hails from an up and coming new series called ARMS and his a spring-loaded boxing genius! The game is jam packed with alternate colors and additional characters which are sure to bring some interesting and creative submissions! Please remember to include both a transparent image plus one against a white canvas plus the original source.

Contest ends April 24th

Round 4 is now open.

Last edited:

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Luckily for me, I knew Spring Man was gonna win the poll, so I made my recolor in advance.

Ribbon Man
(or Spring Girl, if it suits your fancy)

(This render was graciously provided by Poland on Discord, and was used with permission)

Origin

This skin is based off of the other mascot of ARMS, and the chick punchin' Spring Man in the face on the cover, Ribbon Girl.

Source Image

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
This seems like a fun game. Here's my first go at it. Not the most original idea, but nonetheless:

Springtron-styled Spring Man

Source:

Higher Quality:

I didn't add the mask, because that would make it more of an alternate costume than a palette swap, due to how Spring Man and Springtron are different characters, and that would go against Rule #9.

splat

Smash Lord
Again, not an actual entry (judging), but I had an idea and wanted to try it.

Spring Man Spring Man
Spring Man Spring Man Spring Man

Uffe

Smash Hero
Springmonchan (My brother came up with the name.)

Hitmonchan inspired Spring Man. Spring Man from Mega Man was an idea I was thinking about doing, but it looks like I was beat to it, and I even thought about Little Mac, but that seems to be apart of a meme, and I felt it wasn't necessary to go with it since you could just grab the image off of Google, so I went with another boxer, Hitmonchan.

Source

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Ninjara Man, as you can probably tell by the name, is an alternate based off of fellow ARMS fighter, Ninjara. I chose to make an alt after Ninjara because of two reasons. One, I think that Spring Man getting alternate palletes based off of other ARMS characters is pretty likely, and Two, because I really like Ninjara's default color scheme. Definitely a challenge, especially where there was blur in some segments of the photo. Every changed color is based off of Ninjara, even the eyes. Only things that weren't changed where Spring Man's face and legs, and that was due to his skin tone being strikingly close to Ninjara's.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Great color swaps everyone!

A new poll is up to decide the next veteran that should be color swapped! The choices were picked by the judges and consist of:
  • Zelda
  • Lucario
  • Kirby

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This one was tough, but I love playing this game.

Since we're dealing with boxers, I had to go with the OG Smash boxer: Presenting SpringMac!

Can't wait to see the rest!

Gotta say, I wasn't really considering Springman in Smash before, but I kinda really want to see it now:grin:

Uffe

Smash Hero

Since we're dealing with boxers, I had to go with the OG Smash boxer: Presenting SpringMac!

Gotta say, I wasn't really considering Springman in Smash before, but I kinda really want to see it now:grin:
Yeah, Spring Man is only the second character I recolored, but he was very difficult to work on. I like the Little Mac concept. I expected to see it early on, but I'm surprised he's finally been created. Show 'em whatcha got, Mac Baby!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Reminder that there’s little more than one day left!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oops sorry guys! A bit late but around 4 is now closed! results will be posted soon!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have been very busy so I haven’t been able to update the main thread. I will in the next few hours, I promise :)

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Round 4 Winner: Springmonchan by Uffe Uffe and Ninjara Spring Man by AlphaSSB AlphaSSB

Congratulations Uffie and AlphaSSB!

Score: 49​

This round was particularly tough with less submissions than previous rounds as well as a amazing submissions by contestants! It ended up being a tie with a 49 scoring. This is the first time this has happened!

Notable Mentions

Remember that a Notable Mentions means that your submission had made it to the judging process.
This seems like a fun game. Here's my first go at it. Not the most original idea, but nonetheless:

Springtron-styled Spring Man

Source:

Higher Quality:
I didn't add the mask, because that would make it more of an alternate costume than a palette swap, due to how Spring Man and Springtron are different characters, and that would go against Rule #9.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Round 5: New Single Color Palette Swap for Zelda[/CENTER]

Princess Zelda wins the spot for the fifth round among characters chosen by the judges. Zelda has tons of potential in a color swap form various games within the Zelda library. You are free to use Smash related artwork, Hyrule Warriors, or any other 3D render artwork with the Princess. You do not need to use the one I provided above.

Contest ends May 10th

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Damn, it was hard to find good inspiration for a Zelda recolor. But I think I came out with somethin' pretty good.

Boss Pack Zelda

Origin
This skin is based off a recolor Zelda had in Hyrule Warriors, which came with the Boss DLC Pack.

Source Image

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Hilda (Breath of the Wild ver.)

zelda_hilda1s.png
zelda_hilda2s.png

Origin
This palette swap is inspired by Princess Hilda from The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds. She is Lorulean counterpart of Princess Zelda, who guides Link through Lorule to rescue the seven sages of the land.

Considering Link has been shown to be using his Breath of the Wild design in Smash 5, I felt it would be best to use a BotW Zelda design.

In the high quality version of the palette swap, I've remove the Triforce symbol from her boots (because it wouldn't make any sense for Hilda to have a standard Triforce symbol), and flipped the Triforce on her shirt upside down, to better reflect the Lorulean Triforce. The standard sized versions have this as well; it is just harder to see.

zelda_hilda1.png

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Whew, wanted to get this done, but exams were taking all of my time.

Here's my take on Zelda:

I love the transformation mechanic, and I loved BotW's royal gown. Honestly, it would make me happiest if she used her royal gown for her Zelda form, and then wore the adventuring outfit as Shiek.

To that end, I've got royal Zelda and her 'Shiek' form, both based on her look in Twilight Princess, since I loved that one.

Top Bottom