• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Final Smashes

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hey, everyone; what sort of alternate Final Smashes would you give existing/announced new fighters in Ultimate? Here’re my picks:

Donkey Kong: Same rush of punches, but then followed by an uppercut followed by a Moon Punch (a nod to the ending of DKC Returns).
Dark Samus: Have her turn into Metroid Prime…or something, I dunno.
Kirby: Robobot suit. I’m surprised Sakurai didn’t think of that, interesting.
Pikachu: Catastropika.
Jigglypuff: Moonblast.
Daisy: Sky Pop from Super Mario Land. How does Daisy eat her own eponymous flowers, anyways?
Dr. Mario: An actual game of Dr. Mario. It was the jam for me when I bought it and played on my Wii U a couple years back.
Pichu: A powered-up Nuzzle. SCREW THE DAMAGE; IT’D BE SO CUTE.
Young Link: Fierce Diety Triforce Slash: WHY. DIDN’T. YOUNG. LINK. HAVE. THIS.
Meta Knight: Super Mach Tornado.
Pit: Just let him keep the Three Sacred Treasures
Dark Pit: Arrow Rain. I’ve never played Uprising, but I have seen Dark Pit’s Arrow Rain in action.
Zero Suit Samus: Keep her SSB4 Final Smash, but without the aiming. It was a bit too slow for my tastes.
Pokémon Trainer: Triple Finish, but with Mega Charizard X.
Diddy Kong: Keep his current Final Smash, but with the Peanut Popgun.
R.O.B.: Subspace Bomb. Oh yeah, I went there.
Rosalina and Luma: Just have the Comet Observatory come crashing down like a meteor.
Little Mac: Three-Star Punch from Punch-Out Wii, with Giga Mac.
Greninja: Ash-Greninja and the Super Water Shuriken (that didn’t win Ash the Kalos League).
Robin: Ignis-Bolganone. Basically slashing everyone with the Levin Sword and a bunch of tomes, and then a Bolganone finisher.
Richter: Basically the same thing as Simon’s Grand Cross, but using Hydro Storm instead.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
:ultness:: PK Rockin'

:ultlucas:: PK Love

Last edited:

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
First, imagine the damage dealt from a smash attack goes into a pending status and knockback effect is postponed for maybe half of a second. This only happens when the player's final smash meter is at 100%. That .5s following the landing of a smash attack (and ONLY a smash attack) is the time the player has to press B (neutral) or a Direction+B to unleash a corresponding final smash attack. In other words, you are hit confirming a smash attack into a final smash attack. If the player presses B too late during recovery or while recovering from a failed smash attack attempt (meaning it was evaded/blocked), then something like 30% of the final smash meter is lost and (of course) no final smash is unleashed. If the player has a full meter and uses the smash attack but not a final smash, something like 15% of the meter is lost. The player would need to rebuild meter to 100% for another opportunity to use a final smash.

Across the roster, final smash attacks would be something like one quarter of the damage and knockback of the smash attack used. They are not at all for immediate finishers. So if you know the smash attack you'll use is going to kill, perhaps you'll prefer to not use the final smash. Use of a final smash also comes with access to powerful skills designed to add oomph to what's possible in mixups., combos, or just other threats (like Incineroar's throws becoming even stronger than they already can be WITH that counter gimmick of his) .

Here's a crazy example. Wii Fit Trainer forward smashes the opponent. Within that .5s after landing the attack, the player must input either side B, Up B, Down B, or just B to unleash a Final Smash Attack. Let's say the player went with Side B.

The result is this super animation of WFT's "rainbow of spirits" (or whatever) bombarding the opponent with soccer balls from different directions off various Header Cancels. When that is finished, the player will have access to an additional Header Cancel skill. Since then (while the FS Meter auto depletes, or maybe depletes with each use of the skill), cancelling Header with Z instead of shield/dodge has Trainer pocketing a ball (like Villager). She can then Z-drop the ball at anytime and act on the bouncing ball like any normal Header Cancel. The nice part is she can still do Header Cancels while a ball is in her pocket, giving her the ability to have two balls bouncing on screen at once. Z-dropping the pocketed one has no recovery frames (unlike cancelling Header).

All characters would have 4 unique Final Smashes. The skill effects and FS attack animations would be based on the special moves. You may have noticed in my example with Wii Fit Trainer, I used a "Side Special" Final Smash, therefore I got a Final Smash animation AND effects that were based on Header.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
:ultness:: PK Rockin'

:ultlucas:: PK Love
PK Rockin? I'm pretty sure that one's called PK Boobs. At least it was in my playthrough.

Anyway, I really dislike Bowser Jr's Final Smash. It's pretty much impossible to avoid and it makes no sense when the Koopalings use it. I'd swap it out for a giant Mecha Bowser attack, assaulting the opponent with fire and those goofy missiles. That way you can still have a Sunshine reference while allowing the Koopalings to perform an attack that makes a reasonable amount of sense for them to do.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Kirby: Hypernova. But It's nice to see RtDL get represented, so I'll keep it.
Dedede: Buff Dedede, and masked Dedede becomes his echo.
Robin: ANYTHING, really. Why again is Chrom still his Final Smash?
Pit: 3 Sacred Treasures. his new Final Smash is just the Dragoon.
Yink: Fierce Diety. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
Rosaluma: Galaxy Reset
R.O.B.: Subspace bomb

Last edited:
Top Bottom