• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate colors/costumes

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
So as we all know Rosalina wields different colored Lumas I have been thinking that much like Olimar the Lumas will have different abilities and these are the ones I think the Lumas will have

Yellow: all around nothing special about him
Red Luma: Longer area of reach, faster
Green Luma: Higher durability
Silver Luma: Stronger attacks
Blue Luma: the ability to grab (could be a tether recovery)

What does every one else think?

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I think that the lumas will have different attributes... They also could be just a different colour with no effects. I think blue luma will have a better recovery
I think red luma will be power
Sliver luma could be strongest but may not listen to you.
Green luma could be range.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i think the luma colors have no effect untill sakurai states otherwise.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
If they have different abilities, then it potentially affects the way her moves work.

If they give you the ability to swap out for a different color Luma, then that removes a move that could've been used otherwise.

If the Luma's color is irrelevant, then neutral-B could summon your Luma, but if you already have a Luma, it could do something else. Swapping would take a potential move then.

Personally, I'd rather they not make her like Olimar. Makes it more complicated and more difficult to master and potentially adds an element of chance. While different colored Lumas do turn into different things, I don't see the kinds of abilities you're proposing as really fitting with that anyway. There's not necessarily any good way to reflect the difference between turning into a launch star vs. a pull star.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
If you already have a luma summoned, i think pressing the summon button again draws luma back to rosalina similar to olimars whistle.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What alt costume or palette swap could you want for Rosalina?

All I can think of is her Biker outfit from Mario Kart.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
If they have different abilities, then it potentially affects the way her moves work.

If they give you the ability to swap out for a different color Luma, then that removes a move that could've been used otherwise.

If the Luma's color is irrelevant, then neutral-B could summon your Luma, but if you already have a Luma, it could do something else. Swapping would take a potential move then.

Personally, I'd rather they not make her like Olimar. Makes it more complicated and more difficult to master and potentially adds an element of chance. While different colored Lumas do turn into different things, I don't see the kinds of abilities you're proposing as really fitting with that anyway. There's not necessarily any good way to reflect the difference between turning into a launch star vs. a pull star.
the pullstar could be her grab as well as a tether recovery

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Color swaps-
Blue- her regular appearance
Light green- green team
Red- to resemble fire Rosalina in 3d world
Yellow- gold like, somewhat resemble daisy?
Pink- to resemble peach
White- because why not

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
What about that black luma with blue eyes that was rosalinas advisor? I doubt he will be a part of the move set, but what if?

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Teal Dress - Her regular appearance. Used for Team Blue.
Fire Rosalina - Red dress from Super Mario 3D World. Used for Team Red.
Garden Outfit - Dress in shades of green resembling the ones on Gusty Garden. Used for Team Green.
Gold Rosalina - A glittery gold dress with orange borders, gem, and crown. References Gold Mario from New Super Mario Bros. 2.
Wedding Dress - Entirely white dress.
Black Hole Rosalina - Rosalina with the entire "space" texture she has in Super Guide mode in Super Mario Galaxy 2. She will probably require special borders not to be confused with background in Space/Night stages.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Alt costumes.......the biker outfit from Mario kart and her old concept art design.

Cosmic Spirit could be her black color pallet.

pitthekit

Smash Ace

what is wrong with make rosa even more hard master?? you can already tell she will require a lot of tech skill and reads.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
what is wrong with make rosa even more hard master?? you can already tell she will require a lot of tech skill and reads.
I dunno, why not make all characters have their moves randomly do slightly different things? Maybe Fox's Blaster should shoot different colors that do different things. Samus's Charge Shot could randomly be a different beam every time, and you have to know when to use the different ones and save them for different things. The Links could have randomly different bombs. Why not do this for everyone? It would make the game harder to master. Do you think that would make it better?

Adding more complications to everything doesn't inherently make them better.

Like you said yourself, she already will require skill to master. Why should they add random Lumas with different properties that would require even more skill on top of that?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm honestly under the impression that the differently colored Lumas are purely for cosmetic effect. Giving them different abilities when the color summoned is as of yet random seems to unnecessarily complicate an already complex character.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I dunno, why not make all characters have their moves randomly do slightly different things? Maybe Fox's Blaster should shoot different colors that do different things. Samus's Charge Shot could randomly be a different beam every time, and you have to know when to use the different ones and save them for different things. The Links could have randomly different bombs. Why not do this for everyone? It would make the game harder to master. Do you think that would make it better?

Adding more complications to everything doesn't inherently make them better.

Like you said yourself, she already will require skill to master. Why should they add random Lumas with different properties that would require even more skill on top of that?
I agree having uncontrollable random properties is dumb I am saying that I want to control what color pops out... If I can't then I want lumas color to be a cosmetic change. Nice post.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Some one on Reddit suggested the colors represents the luma's health, since it may not be sharing Rosalina's percentage.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i think its more like hit points. like olimars pikmin die if they take too much damage.
the color representing health doesnt make sense cuz in the trailer, the luma didnt change color when hit.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Isn't Red Luigi pink? I don't think it matters if she's blue enough.
Red Luigi has red overalls though, and a red L on his hat. He has enough red for it to be his red costume.

Rosalina's main costume on the other hand can barely be called blue. It's not even sky blue, it's straight up teal. She'll definitely have a separate blue pallette swap.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking, what if the different colored Lumas was part of Rosalina's costume ? When we think about it, what happen when there is two (or more) Rosalina in battle ? We'll be confused about which Luma is ours. So,

So, I photoshopped Rosalina a bit for her different color (I sincerly hope that cosmic Rosalina will be present, and if would have love her original outfit) :

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was thinking, what if the different colored Lumas was part of Rosalina's costume ? When we think about it, what happen when there is two (or more) Rosalina in battle ? We'll be confused about which Luma is ours. So,

So, I photoshopped Rosalina a bit for her different color (I sincerly hope that cosmic Rosalina will be present, and if would have love her original outfit) :

The Cosmic Spirit appears to be more bluish in color...

Frankly, I'd rather see Rosalina have a yellow palette swap, since we do need more yellow palette swaps.

In terms of the Luma colors, how that'll work out with the palette swaps might need to be worked on.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice

This is great! It truly is. The only thing missing is a Yellow Team costume. On a side note, I kinda hope they go that extra mile and tie up Rosalina's and Peach's hair when wearing their Fire Peach/Rosalina costumes (White and Red palette swaps respectively)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Obviously, I'd use the black or red ones.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman

All of these are great options! I like the redish pink one the best.

And seriously...yellow team?

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
The pink/light purple one looks the best to me. On a side note, I like the stars they put on the side of her dress.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
And seriously...yellow team?
Ah yes, please forgive me for making such a stupid mistake that a 4 player game would have 4 teams! Thank you for pointing it out so nicely too =)

No but seriously, why isn't there a 4th colored team for a 4 player game?

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Ah yes, please forgive me for making such a stupid mistake that a 4 player game would have 4 teams! Thank you for pointing it out so nicely too =)

No but seriously, why isn't there a 4th colored team for a 4 player game?
Sorry if it sounded rude, I didn't mean it that way 0_o
And yeah, if all 4 people are on 4 different teams, then you would just make it free for all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wish we could do Team Battles like how they were Melee's Classic mode, where your partner just had a heart over them and had whichever color they wanted
Yeah, something like a heart, diamond, club, or spade icon might help separate teams as well. If all four players are using different icons, then it's a free-for-all bout.

Top Bottom