• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alright, Lucas is NOT better than Ness.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
That's a lie. It doesn't get stronger.
But Ness's Dtilt has a chance of having a home-run bat effect. True story.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
That's a lie. It doesn't get stronger.
But Ness's Dtilt has a chance of having a home-run bat effect. True story.
lol, I don't know whether to believe you or not. I'm leaning towards the "not."

While we're at it, I heard that if you press shield + shield + Z during the first frame of Dedede's Waddle Dee attack, you can force him to spawn Dragoon parts. (derp).

Browny

Smash Hater
ahh it pains me to say it but i think lucas really is better. i mained ness in 64 and melee and still use him in brawl but i dont win nearly as often as when i use lucas. Its all the upsmash. I like ness' everything better, but when a sweet spotted b-air doesnt even kill people at 80% while lucas upsmash of doom lasts forever and kills at 70% its just so much easier

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
Here are my noticable strong points for both

Lucas:
1. has major air combo superiority ( dair, nair )
2. usmash and dsmash are great edge guarders
3. uspecial easy to control and doesnt stop after hitting target
4. dspecial hurts when disengaged
5. pk freeze is abnormally fast

Ness:
1. has a meteor smash ( need i say more )
2. all smash attacks have great potential kill rate
3. uspecial is faster and stronger
4. fspecial gives great combo oppenings
5. ph flash is very strong and great for edge guards and 4-player matches

I still love them both equally no matter what anyone may think. If you have any more strengths on these to feel free to add.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
PK Thunder2 on Ness KO's about the same as Lucas's Up smash and has about the same kind of setup/lag too....

I really need to stop thinking about Melee Ness and use this move a lot more.

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
Lucas's up smash sucks. A good player doesn't use it that much. I use both Ness and Lucas and they're both pretty good, I've beaten a lot of players with my Ness, but I just find Lucas more fun to use. Ness does have a really nice PK Fire, it can set up combos easily.

Contrary

Smash Cadet
Both are viable characters to kick some a** with. I prefer Ness's PK Fire, but I prefer Lucas' PK Thunder.

Luca's up smash is good if used during the right occasions, but if used incorrectly it is too easily punishable.

Conda

Lucas's usmash does NOT have the same applications as Ness's PKT2. That's ridiculous.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Ness' PKT2 can kill at as low as 50-55% even from the middle of Final Destination. Lucas' Upsmash can only kill at around 70%. If you get used to PKT2, a good Ness player can do it easily and fast.

Conda

Ness' PKT2 can kill at as low as 50-55% even from the middle of Final Destination. Lucas' Upsmash can only kill at around 70%. If you get used to PKT2, a good Ness player can do it easily and fast.
Exactly. PKT2 is executed via more effective mindgames. Saying PKT2 and lucas's usmash have the same applications is like saying Falcon Punch, DK Punch, and Rest are pretty much the same thing as PKT2.
:S

Looper

Smash Journeyman
lucas is the easier to use version of ness, simple is that!

Galeon

Smash Ace
Compairing ness pkt2 to lucas upsmash....who gets hit by pkt2.......
well that's not really fair.

If someone hasn't played alot of Ness players or isn't used to a Ness's mindgames (or just doesn't have the timing down for proper edgeguarding), they can very easily get hit and die by PKT2. Same thing goes for Lucas's up smash really. The up smash comes out faster but nobody playing defensive has a reason to get hit by it. At least Ness can use PKT2 as a threat to not have people get too close when he's PKT1'ing.

napZzz

Smash Hero
lucas is for people too lazy to learn how to use ness. Lucas might have more meta game potential though. Wait until things develop to decide how is better.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
I couldnt agree more, imo Ness is a LOT better than Lucas!!! He is a lot more fun, pkt is faster and more effective, and pkt2 is simply ownage compared to the combo-y Lucas one. Ness' side A smash is better, and Ness' down air can spike extremely well (am i missing a spike Lucas has? i dont remember)

I love playing Ness. And I simply dont really like playing Lucas. But both are good and both are very different from the other. So in the end I personally dont think it matters that much. In a Ness vs Lucas match the better player will win 7 to 9 times out of 10.

blackcat13

Smash Cadet
nobody checks this anymore, but this ness beats lucas and lucas beats ness thing has to stop. These <lucas iz betr than ness all starts when som cocky brawl player loses to a clone of the same series and automaticly assume that char is worst.

really, i liked lucas smash attacks becuz of how they look not their strength(didnt even pay attention 2 strength. the attaks jus looked cool). and i eventualy pic him up and train night and day with him. and it was all 4 not when i fought som ness players online and won. they use the exuse lucas overpowers ness! then when they win they say "im the best! i beat a lucas with my ness! u suck!"
dont say ones better than the other. and guys get overhis u-smash, cuz first, ur stupid 4 running into it and if u do and ur good then the lucas is better. same 4 ness, ur stupid if u run into pkt2. not really stupid but u know accidents happen. lucas iz just easier 4 people 2 think they r good. while ness just isnt as funfilled or has coolanimations
Youd think ness waz overpowered from SSE

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
Ness has an obvious aerial advantage, but a pitiful recovery. I mean, how hard is it to get yourself hit by PKT before it hits him?

I bleed audio

Smash Rookie
Isn't this a redundant practice? I mean both characters have different playstyles and both have their pros and cons. When it comes down to it isn't it the effective player that wins the match? Every character has things they don't do as well at as other characters, this doesn't make the character overall "inferior" to the other characters it just means the player has to customize their playstyle to cover that particular characters shortcomings. I agree with Blackcat on this one, it probably just started when some ness player got beaten by a lucas main and had to find some reason why he "should have" won but didn't. It just comes down to the ability of the player to chose the most effective moves at the time and it won't matter if a player is using a "superior" character or not if their skill at the game isn't up to par.

It's like back in the day when street fighter a game of choice and there was a hidden character Akuma that was supposed to be godly to the point where in most tournaments he was banned, but every once in a while you'd get the player that thought they'd get the advantage over their opponent by using Akuma only to be humiliated by being being by an "inferior" character used by a player with more skill

You can't go off saying one character is "better" than another because that's just a practice of futility. Of course if you like a character you're going to defend him and say he's better than the others. You could go to the jigglypuff forum and you'd see people that think she's the best character under the sun, same goes for fox,snake,etc. No character is overall superior to others, it's just a matter of perspective and game play style.

Levitas

the moon
You can definately claim one character is better than another. In fact, that can be at odds with the matchup.

Melee Peach vs. Young link comes to mind. For a while, Y.Link was considered a soft counter to Peach, much in the same way that Ness can be considered a soft counter to lucas. However, Peach was the better of the two.

And really, it's important to compare characters and debate which one's better. The whole "Lucas vs Ness" thing is a bit old though. Why not "Lucas vs ZSS" or something?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I am about half way through my comparison guide thing. You guys look forward to it.

And no, just because I main Ness, it wont be biased. I love Lucas too.

Top Bottom