• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alph should have just been his own slot, Really.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
There is no reason for him to not be his own slot, If Dark Pit gets to have his own slot with minor tweaks why can't an ACTUAL different character get his own slot?

1. Get to have some more changes and maybe even a semi-clone.
2. New Pikmin Rep
3. MORE CHARACTERS!
4. I always thought it was disgusting to have different character as alternate costumes...

Last edited:

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Yeah, I agree. It would have been interesting to see what they'd do with a clone / semi-clone of Olimar. Rock Pikmin, maybe?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Really, Pikmin 3 is a wonderful game, but Sakurai doesn't just add clones at random. Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina just out prioritized Alph.

But it would have been nice to see a new Pikmin rep. :)

Saint Johns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HyperSlash
I agree completely. If Dark Pit was a last minute clone, Alph should have been one too.

:4pit:Just Sakurai bias. Nothing to see here.:4darkpit:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
How'd you make a clone out of Olimar? Each Pikmin already provide different properties.

Seems pointless to me.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Really, Pikmin 3 is a wonderful game, but Sakurai doesn't just add clones at random. Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina just out prioritized Alph.

But it would have been nice to see a new Pikmin rep. :)
Dark Pit... out priortizing Alph... :ohwell:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
How'd you make a clone out of Olimar? Each Pikmin already provide different properties.

Seems pointless to me.
1. Rock Pikmin deal more damage but have low distance.
2. Can run faster or slower.
3. Different damage stats.
4. Projectiles have different physics.

You can literally make a clone out of any character just using 2 through 4 and it works. (Dark Pit)

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I agree, I am still pissed my new favorite Pikmin type, Rock Pikmin, aren't in Olimar OR Alph's movesets -_-

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
1. Rock Pikmin deal more damage but have low distance.
2. Can run faster or slower.
3. Different damage stats.
4. Projectiles have different physics.

You can literally make a clone out of any character just using 2 through 4 and it works. (Dark Pit)
1. So Purple Pikmin?
2. Fair enough
3. Something each Pikmin already does?
4. Something each Pikmin already have?

Only thing I could think of is a faster/slower Olimar and that's it. He's too awkward and specific of a character to make a clone of. Either that or he'd be a clone that would actually take TIME to make him work.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
1. So Purple Pikmin?
2. Fair enough
3. Something each Pikmin already does?
4. Something each Pikmin already have?

Only thing I could think of is a faster/slower Olimar and that's it. He's too awkward and specific of a character to make a clone of. Either that or he'd be a clone that would actually take TIME to make him work.
I am not just talking about Pikmin, I mean all of his attack and speed stats.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I am not just talking about Pikmin, I mean all of his attack and speed stats.
But his moveset is designed all around the Pikmin.

I'm all for clones, but I can't wrap my head on an Olimar clone. It's something too difficult to design to be a last minute clone like the rest.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
If Dark Pit gets to have his own slot with minor tweaks why can't an ACTUAL different character get his own slot?
Dark Pit is an ACTUAL different character, that is precisely why he is named "Dark Pit" instead of Pit. Dark Pit maintains different aesthetics, different personality, different abilities, etc.

I am not sure why Alph does not have his own slot. Maybe it is because he is an ACTUAL same character.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Dark Pit is an ACTUAL different character, that is precisely why he is named "Dark Pit" instead of Pit. Dark Pit maintains different aesthetics, different personality, different abilities, etc.

I am not sure why Alph does not have his own slot. Maybe it is because he is an ACTUAL same character.
Have you ever played Pikmin 3? He has a different personality, is slightly shorter than Olimar, could be made faster, and could use Rock Pikmin that deal more damage than knockback to differentiate from Purple Pikmin. Just saying that Dark Pit pretty much opened the door for ANYONE to be a clone. Alph would probably have his own spot but I think they didn't have time.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Alph would probably have his own spot but I think they didn't have time.
Personally, If they didn't have enough time to give him his own spot i would without a doubt just make him apart of future DLC.

Last edited:

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman

I'm all for clones, but I can't wrap my head on an Olimar clone. It's something too difficult to design to be a last minute clone like the rest.
Perhaps that's true but maybe they could have gone a similar route to Lucina. The only thing to differentiate her from Marth is that she has a different hitbox. For Alph he could have a different hurtbox (seriously, his head size is larger than Olimar) but to back it up they could also increase his speed to balance it out. Something simple as that can suffice.

Unresolved

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unresolved
3DS FC
4596-9792-3892
I agree with all of you, if Alph was a clone with Rock Pikmin instead of purple, no one would be mad.
After all, Pikmin has had 3 games now, which is more than franchises like Kid Icarus have had in the last 20 years.
So yeah, more Pikmin representation would be nice, and it's a no-brainer that Alph (or even Louie because I like him more) would be similar, therefore clones, of Olimar.

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Dark Pit... out priortizing Alph... :ohwell:
Sakurai
Made
Him.
Creator made characters> Others.

I agree with all of you, if Alph was a clone with Rock Pikmin instead of purple, no one would be mad.
After all, Pikmin has had 3 games now, which is more than franchises like Kid Icarus have had in the last 20 years.
So yeah, more Pikmin representation would be nice, and it's a no-brainer that Alph (or even Louie because I like him more) would be similar, therefore clones, of Olimar.
I'd say, the president or charlie would make for a more interesting addition if they were to make a olimar semi-clone.

Change the types of pikmin and both characters would be a bit taller and a heavier weight class. That alone would change their play style a little. perhaps rock pikmin replacing purple pikmin, as was said, or perhaps flying pikmin as an actual pulled pikmin type? I am not sure what they would do that other pikmin can't...though they would be the weakest.

Last edited:

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I would have loved Alph to be his own character, then Olimar could have more alts and not have Alph take up half the spaces. I'm kind of biased here, since I really don't like Alph as a character compared to Olimar, but the point still stands. :p

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I agree wholeheartedly!

Maybe, they could have had Olimar keep his Brawl up special.
Then, Alph's differences could be:
-Slightly faster/lighter but a little weaker (as he doesn't punch very strong in Pikmin 3)
-Different Up Special: Winged Pikmin
-Rock Pikmin instead of Purples - they'd have shieldbreaking properties
-Final Smash has him fly away in the S. S. Drake instead of the Hocotate Ship, and Pikmin 3 enemies (Whiptongue Bulborbs!) would attack everyone on the ground.
-Maybe a taunt where he drinks some juice :3

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457

It's not really too much of an ask to have a Pikmin using character with different speed, attacks and damage properties to Olimar, it's not like the variety of moves he uses are the only moves a character that fights with Pikmin could EVER use. A second Pikmin character could definitely work. That said, I think Louie with a Brittany alt (or maybe even Charlie/President) would be great rather than having Olimar and Alph be the Pikmin representatives since they work as alts of each other.

Like any interesting mechanic a character has, it's not like their implementation of that mechanic is the only way it could ever be done. There could easily be another character with a Little Mac style K.O. bar but completely different attacks, fighting style and animations. There could be a Puppeteer character like Rosalina with the same core mechanic but a different fighting style. It's not like there could be another character with Pikmin pluck, Pikmin throw and Pikmin whistle that feels completely different and attacks in different ways for the A moves.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Alph could have Olimar old moveset, Like the neutral attack, Ftilt (dropkick) and diffrent moves. He can use Rock Pikmin and Flying pikmin.
Olimar should stick with the teering recovery.
Alph could have olimar old Up-air or have the same air moves with new tweaks.

I prefer have a Alph a slot than Dark Pit and Dr. Mario.
It save its own Planet (Koppai) and Olimar at the same time!!
Dark Pit did is bring trouble and Doctor Mario just cure virus for points, when Alph is trying to find food for its people and is dying planet.
At least Lucina did something amazing by the way.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I wish Alph had his own slot too, but with five simple steps, you can make him a clone!

1. Acquire Olimar's custom moves.
2. Create a custom moveset with Alph as the alt.
3. Use the custom moves to make Alph more unique(I use Sturdy Pikmin, Tackle Pikmin Throw(or whatever it's called), Dizzy Whistle, and the up-special that shoots you upwards.)
4. Play as Alph
5. Feel less sad about him not getting a slot and Dark Pit getting one instead.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Alph as a separate character would have been cool but other than Rock Pikmin, there isn't anything else to add to differentiate between the two move-sets.

I'm more surprised that Sakurai didn't do the Bowser Jr./Koopaling style of their alternate costumes:
1. Olimar
2. Louie
3. President
4. Alph
5. Brittany
6. Charlie
7. Lamarr (Black Olimar(Alt costume from Brawl(was godliek btw)))
8. ???

I feel like that would have done more justice to the Pikmin series as a whole because this ish is CANON.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Pikmin 3

Kid Icarus
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Kid Icarus: Uprising

Although Uprising completely forgot Of Myths and Monsters, apart from the completely unmentioned use of the Silver Armour when Pit has the Three Sacred Treasures.

But, I have to disagree. The only real differences Alph could have to Olimar would be Pikmin selection, slightly different stats and hurtboxes, and possibly Brittany and Charlie as assist characters, alluding to the Captain Throw and KoppPad orders mechanics found in Pikmin 3. (But Smash 3DS focused too much on graphics to allow that to run, hence no Ice Climbers) Pitoo, on the other hand, could have had completely different weapons, while having the same run speed, jump height, and weight as Pit. And even those would be optional, as Uprising has a weapon weight mechanic. They're literally clones, in Uprising's plot. His implementation was just lazy. Him being in the game, on the other hand, was a good idea. Just done badly.

But nope, he had a slightly different moveset and stats. At least the Doc. is a series vet, and keeps the down B tornado, unlike normal Mario. And let's be straight with Lucina. She got in because she's a woman. Planned as Marth's alt (reasonable, like Robin, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer but with a different name) and given a spot on the roster because she was tweaked to have no tipper. She's more similar to Marth than Pitoo is to Pit. Even in Awakening, Marth used Lucina's animations, and Lodestars and Great Lords are almost identical. (I guess it kind of makes sense? Sorta?)

I do agree with Louie, the President, Brittany, and Charlie as extra alts, though. Maybe with one extra costume per alt - like how Little Mac has wireframe versions of all his swaps.

Last edited:

Tewks

Smash Rookie
I think he would have been great as a new fighter. Give Olimar his original up b, and Alph the flying pikmin. And the purple could have been replaced by rock, which could be something like more damage but less knockback. I also think Alph would be a bit faster, but weaker than Olimar.

Thinking about this disappoints me now :( Hopefully there is another Pikmin rep in DLC!

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Yeah, but then it would be no different than what we have now. The only difference is that you can get separate records for him in singleplayer/online. You're not gaining anything from him being separate. I would be okay with Dark Pit if he made a discernible difference. it makes no sense to ask for this. You should be asking for actual changes. If Dark Pit were an alt. costume, there would be no actual difference.

Heres what I would have done:
  • Olimar keeps his Brawl moveset. (I miss it -- he was really good)
  • Alph gets no purple and white pikmin.
  • Alph gets rock and flying pikmin -- this means that he has the new flying pikmin ^B, but Olimar keeps the chain
  • Olimar has weaker normals but way more powerful smashes
  • Olimar's whistle attracts items like Rosalina's \/B its rainbow-coloured
  • Alph's whistle is blue (like in Pikmin 3) and ;the super armour can be held for longer
  • whatever

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Alph as a separate character would have been cool but other than Rock Pikmin, there isn't anything else to add to differentiate between the two move-sets.

I'm more surprised that Sakurai didn't do the Bowser Jr./Koopaling style of their alternate costumes:
1. Olimar
2. Louie
3. President
4. Alph
5. Brittany
6. Charlie
7. Lamarr (Black Olimar(Alt costume from Brawl(was godliek btw)))
8. ???

I feel like that would have done more justice to the Pikmin series as a whole because this ish is CANON.
This would've been amazing. I want to play as Brittany.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
I think louie should of been olimar's alt and alph a olimar "clone".
Differences
  • Alph is smaller and thus could of been lighter and faster.
  • He could have better recovery them olimar(flying pikmin) and olimar would keep his brawl recovery.
  • Make rock pikmin a slightly different version of the purple pikmin.
  • Remove the whites from Alph's pikmin pool to balance out the fact olimar has worse recovery.and it makes sense cannon wise.

Just my 2 cents as a Alph Main.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think Sakurai is trying to avoid cloning the more mechanically unique characters. There's nothing too terribly special about the movesets of Mario, Pit, and C. Falcon so cloning them isn't too detrimental to the roster. Olimar is one of the more particular and unique characters in SSB, almost 100% exclusively relying on his Pikmin to do work.

It's why I kinda doubt we'll see another Pikmin 'slot' in general (unless Louie gets his own super unique powers or something). It's not so much cloning a character's general moveset as it is cloning their defining gimmick and making them feel less special. Imagine if we'd, say, kept Pokemon Trainer around, but then added ANOTHER Pokemon Trainer. Sure, he/she could have different Pokemon from the first one, but it still generally takes away a lot of the uniqueness of the character. Now you're left with two, not-so-unique fighters. I think Sakurai is trying not to do that with the more special characters like Olimar. Making Alph an alt for Olimar is, in a sense, a way for Sakurai to add another Pikmin character to the game all while keeping the Pikmin gimmick confined to one slot.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Filler crap like Dark Pit gets in but a main character from a better selling and more popular series like Alph didn't get his own slot? Bias at it's finest.

Boigahs

Smash Rookie
The other characters have reasons/excuses to be in seperate slots. Dark Pit needed a different final smash, and Lucina needed to be easy-mode Marth, and Dr. Mario was re-cloned because they didn't want to disappoint Melee/Doc fans by making him into a costume. Alph doesn't have any such reason, much as the Koopalings don't. Of course, there are a lot of other reasons at work here. We know that they had two character slots they had to fill (Ice Climber and a mystery character), which Dark Pit and Lucina likely fit into. It just turned out that Dark Pit and Lucina were easier to make into clones than Alph so they went with them. It's a shame, but it's not worth it to be too upset.
And please stop complaining about Dark Pit and Sakurai playing favorites. Dark Pit is nothing to complain about. He was going to be in the game regardless, and him having a character slot and very very slightly different moveset changes nothing. If Alph was a clone, he would be the exact same "filler crap." The phrase "filler crap" leads me into a completely different discussion, but I will spare this thread my huge rant about people that want the clones to be cut from the game.

Top Bottom