• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All smashers, please fill this form out, for Gamecube controllers for smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reznor

work in progress
What a pointless comment. There's no real correlation between SB join date and length of time playing smash. In any case, it's mostly people who've invested large amounts of time playing with the smash series with the gc controller asking that their tool of choice isn't changed. How many people have actually tried playing Smash with the WiiUPro? Exactly.. You're all knocking something that you have yet to try and in doing so somehow justify to yourselves how it'd make perfect business sense for Nintendo to bring back a GC like-controller.

Petition or not, it doesn't really matter. You would all win from not being so emotionally vested in an argument when the odds are most definately against you. Same goes for the controller.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, you could just get a Mayflash adapter...
I didn't imply any of that I just thought it was interesting :sadeyes:

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Holy **** this is still going on?

This gives the competitive scene such a whiney and finicky personality.
No wonder why Sakurai doesn't give 2 ****s about you.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Here's an Idea. Get over it. The GCN controller isn't being supported anymore. Deal with it and move on.
I'm curious, how hard is it to just not respond to a thread you have no interest in? It's just one thread, don't click on it.

Or do you actually want the game cube controller to not happen?

Personally I'm neutral about it, I probably wouldn't get one even if they were available. But if people care, trying to let Nintendo know seems about as good as they can do. Why not try?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm curious, how hard is it to just not respond to a thread you have no interest in? It's just one thread, don't click on it.

Or do you actually want the game cube controller to not happen?

Personally I'm neutral about it, I probably wouldn't get one even if they were available. But if people care, trying to let Nintendo know seems about as good as they can do. Why not try?
I was bored and felt like giving a serious response. It doesn't bother me. But i prefer to be brutally honest to people in things like this.

I don't care if it happens or not. It's more a neutral thing. I know that chances are unlikely for it to happen though.

Also, there is a GCN controller ATTACHMENT for the Wii U. (It hooks up to the Wii Mote) But people seem to forget that it exists. So i don't even bother to mention it's existence if others wont.

Nintendo confirmed recently that petitions don't affect their decisions.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG
It's 19.99!
It comes in it's own little box and everything!
I was bored and felt like giving a serious response. It doesn't bother me. But i prefer to be brutally honest to people in things like this.

I don't care if it happens or not. It's more a neutral thing. I know that chances are unlikely for it to happen though.

Also, there is a GCN controller for the Wii U. (It hooks up to the Wii Mote) But people seem to forget that it exists. So i don't even bother to mention it's existence if others wont.

Nintendo confirmed recently that petitions don't affect their decisions.
What does it look like?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Wait, then why have the petition if they already know there's an option?
They say why on the petition page.

It does not, however, list a wired option. I'm guessing the petition maker just assumed the usb would behave like ps3 and xbox charging cables did, Or he/she is just drop dead stupid.

main reason imo that mayflash wouldn't work is that it's still wireless

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
They say why on the petition page.

It does not, however, list a wired option. I'm guessing the petition maker just assumed the usb would behave like ps3 and xbox charging cables did, Or he/she is just drop dead stupid.

main reason imo that mayflash wouldn't work is that it's still wireless

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I like how people are STILL missing the big picture with all this.

Again, we need WIRED CONTROLLER SUPPORT. At least then we don't have to freaking petition, which isn't going to work unless it was like last year's EVO, for an old controller design. I know some of you don't care for third party controllers, but certain ones have gotten rather good in their quality. If there is demand from a competitive audience, the precious GCC will be remade by a third party.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I like how people are STILL missing the big picture with all this.

Again, we need WIRED CONTROLLER SUPPORT. At least then we don't have to freaking petition, which isn't going to work unless it was like last year's EVO, for an old controller design. I know some of you don't care for third party controllers, but certain ones have gotten rather good in their quality. If there is demand from a competitive audience, the precious GCC will be remade by a third party.
And I like how this still misses an even bigger picture: wireless support won't get any better if there's no reason to work on it. Face it: eventually, wired options will be so few and far between that they might as well not exist, and that's on all consoles. So, what's better: force Nintendo et al to stick with wired options for longer than they want to, stalling and curbing actual wireless innovation, design, and research and causing wireless technology to lag behind, making controller technology worse for everyone, or let them (and yourself) move on so that we can have bigger and better things?

Personally, I go with progress. The GCN was a great controller, I loved it, I hope to always have one for my classic games for that old school experience. But, the GCN was flawed, it was not the pinnacle of input design, and I'm glad to have better input devices.

RODO

Smash Ace
And I like how this still misses an even bigger picture: wireless support won't get any better if there's no reason to work on it. Face it: eventually, wired options will be so few and far between that they might as well not exist, and that's on all consoles. So, what's better: force Nintendo et al to stick with wired options for longer than they want to, stalling and curbing actual wireless innovation, design, and research and causing wireless technology to lag behind, making controller technology worse for everyone, or let them (and yourself) move on so that we can have bigger and better things?

Personally, I go with progress. The GCN was a great controller, I loved it, I hope to always have one for my classic games for that old school experience. But, the GCN was flawed, it was not the pinnacle of input design, and I'm glad to have better input devices.
This just made way too much sense. And really, why not just petition for an update to make the charger chord into an extension of the controller for wired play? It's not like people actually have a problem with the pro controller besides it being wireless.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

Thing is a wireless controller will never be better then a wired controller. A wireless controller will always require batteries, be it replaceable or chargeable, which becomes a hassle in larger scale stuff. And as the power goes down so will the sensitivity between the receiver and itself. Wireless controllers will still be required to synch up to the receiver which will still make a problem at larger scale events.

Wired controllers are already as close to perfect as can get when it comes to controllers and wireless will alway be inferior in one way or another. If anything wired controller should be made better then what they already are as they will always be the better controller when it comes to wired VS wireless.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Thing is a wireless controller will never be better then a wired controller. A wireless controller will always require batteries, be it replaceable or chargeable, which becomes a hassle in larger scale stuff. And as the power goes down so will the sensitivity between the receiver and itself. Wireless controllers will still be required to synch up to the receiver which will still make a problem at larger scale events.

Wired controllers are already as close to perfect as can get when it comes to controllers and wireless will alway be inferior in one way or another. If anything wired controller should be made better then what they already are as they will always be the better controller when it comes to wired VS wireless.

Don't get me wrong, I also want wired controllers to stay (and for Nintendo to make an alternative wired controller) but all of the things you listed are not a problem anymore.

The Wii U Pro has an 80 hour battery life with a 4 hour charging time, what this means is that charging your controller just for 3 minutes gives you a full hour of play time! I just took my Wii U Pro controller for my 4 weeks christmas vacation, beat Zelda WW HD and Mario 3D World both with 100% completion (well I am still trying to beat the very last bonus world in 3D World) and I have still not charged my controller once.

The Wii U can synch without using the synch buttons, you can do it through the controller menu, which is much simpler and requires just as little hassle as plugging in your wired controller, you just go into the menu and click: synch and then click any button on the controllers you want to synch up. With wired controllers you still have to manually insert the plug into the console, sure it's not a big deal but neither is opening home menu and clicking on synch.

Current Wireless controllers have less than 5 ms lag. Compared with wired controllers which have less than 1 ms its about 4 ms difference. That is 0.004 of a second or 1/4th of a frame. The norm of an HD fighting game is 60 frames per second with 2 updates per frame. This gives you a 0.002 second window on which a wireless controller will lag behind a wired controller for only half of a frame or 0.008 seconds. If you ask me, that lag is completely negligible and the chances of that happening are extemely rare.

The problem of wireless controller comes from large scale tournaments where having 20+ wireless signals could cause interference between each other (causing input delay or even the input to be missed completely by the console) and trivial actions such as synching to a console become a burden if matches are done concurrently (People might try to synch up at the same time and synch up to the wrong consoles).

This is why I completely support wired controllers.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Don't get me wrong, I also want wired controllers to stay (and for Nintendo to make an alternative wired controller) but all of the things you listed are not a problem anymore.

The Wii U Pro has an 80 hour battery life with a 4 hour charging time, what this means is that charging your controller just for 3 minutes gives you a full hour of play time! I just took my Wii U Pro controller for my 4 weeks christmas vacation, beat Zelda WW HD and Mario 3D World both with 100% completion (well I am still trying to beat the very last bonus world in 3D World) and I have still not charged my controller once.

The Wii U can synch without using the synch buttons, you can do it through the controller menu, which is much simpler and requires just as little hassle as plugging in your wired controller, you just go into the menu and click: synch and then click any button on the controllers you want to synch up. With wired controllers you still have to manually insert the plug into the console, sure it's not a big deal but neither is opening home menu and clicking on synch.

Current Wireless controllers have less than 5 ms lag. Compared with wired controllers which have less than 1 ms its about 4 ms difference. That is 0.004 of a second or 1/4th of a frame. The norm of an HD fighting game is 60 frames per second with 2 updates per frame. This gives you a 0.002 second window on which a wireless controller will lag behind a wired controller for only half of a frame or 0.008 seconds. If you ask me, that lag is completely negligible and the chances of that happening are extemely rare.

The problem of wireless controller comes from large scale tournaments where having 20+ wireless signals could cause interference between each other (causing input delay or even the input to be missed completely by the console) and trivial actions such as synching to a console become a burden if matches are done concurrently (People might try to synch up at the same time and synch up to the wrong consoles).

This is why I completely support wired controllers.
I can admit the battery thing isn't a big issue, but it can affect a large scale tourney that lasts for a few days, because people are, to be frank, idiots.

I did however address synching to the receiver at larger scale events, I even said larger scale events in my original post. I just didn't expand upon what I meant cause I've stated why it's a problem at larger events multiple times already.

And I didn't address wireless interference because of the hypothetical the person I originally quoted set-up. I can see stuff like input lag and interference being made non-existent if someone tried hard enough. I however cannot see synching to the receiver being fixed for large events, which alone can potentially cause a huge hassle.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
This just made way too much sense. And really, why not just petition for an update to make the charger chord into an extension of the controller for wired play? It's not like people actually have a problem with the pro controller besides it being wireless.
Because people would still complain because "It's not the GameCube Controller".

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
If Nintendo has ignored the foreign market so much that they didn't see their Wii U tank coming, I honestly don't think they'll even hear about this petition in our lifetimes.

We'll just have to accept the lag.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Adaptor plugs into Wiimote, wiimote a are still wireless. So half the concept in this is complete bullsh*t. You'll still have the lag. The entire "wireless at tourneys so we need this" is ridiculous.

Don't quote me on it, but I don't recall any other place on the system for a wired controller. You'd be forced into the wiimote. I doubt nintendo would ever make a new version of their system with ports for controllers that only work on games the system can't run. Read that a few times and think over this petition crap again.

In the end, it's a desperate attempt at more of the same...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Adaptor plugs into Wiimote, wiimote a are still wireless. So half the concept in this is complete bullsh*t. You'll still have the lag. The entire "wireless at tourneys so we need this" is ridiculous.

Don't quote me on it, but I don't recall any other place on the system for a wired controller. You'd be forced into the wiimote. I doubt nintendo would ever make a new version of their system with ports for controllers that only work on games the system can't run. Read that a few times and think over this petition crap again.

In the end, it's a desperate attempt at more of the same...
The only option is really for Nintendo to add controller-over-USB functionality to the console, although to be fair, the functionality may already be there for future planned peripherals or something. I can't imagine that Nintendo added two USB ports just so that we could connect one USB hard drive and never ever use the other.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If Nintendo has ignored the foreign market so much that they didn't see their Wii U tank coming, I honestly don't think they'll even hear about this petition in our lifetimes.

We'll just have to accept the lag.
Wait, didn't Brawl have input lag?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
its possible ill be making a pro controller for smash. no promises yet tho, just possible. do you guys think gamecube controller is perfect? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuCLFUw5D6g
Oh man, yes! The gamecube controller honestly feels like it's practically made for Smash Bros. It's the perfect Smash controller for me, honestly. I'll definitely buy one from you if you make one! :D

Anth0ny

Smash Master
its possible ill be making a pro controller for smash. no promises yet tho, just possible. do you guys think gamecube controller is perfect? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuCLFUw5D6g
Yeah man, GC controller is perfection for Smash. It feels like the GC controller was made for Melee specifically, cause obviously it's lack of buttons/weird layout/weird nipple c-stick isn't great for a lot of game genres (fighting games, shooters).

I tried using the CC Pro and it's just not right. GC controller for life. I'm hoping the Smash community can continue to purchase specially made Gamecube controllers for Smash 4, 5, 6, 7... just like the FGC will continue to buy specially made arcade sticks for fighting games.

Would you make any changes to the GC controller M2K?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
A made for smash, wired controller would be a dream come true. You can't go wrong when something is made by a competitive player and for competitive players, after all.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
As much as I'd be willing to give the new stuff a chance, if we get this:

There's no way I wouldn't get my hands on one.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
As much as I'd be willing to give the new stuff a chance, if we get this:

There's no way I wouldn't get my hands on one.
I've always liked this mockup but **** I hate those analog sticks and D-Pad on the Wii U. Noooooo thank you.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Just get used to this...
My ****ing god...
We're going to have people whining 20 years in the future about the newest system not having GC controller compatibility.
The fact that you cannot adapt to change is the reason people hate everything that they are uncomfortable with (ie anything other than Melee with a GC controller)

Someone seriously asked if there was a way to connect the GC to a 3DS to play Smash on...

This is ridiculous

If you can't play Smash with this then you seriously have a problem
Is THAT the pro controller? That thing looks unintuitive, and it looks like it'll be really bad for Smash. The controller is not so much about "people can't deal with change", it's that the GC controller is really a golden design. It's virtually perfect for Smash Bros, anything else is a downgrade as far as I'm concerned. Besides of which, having spent years mastering Smash Bros with the GC controller, I can't bring myself to use anything else and I understand how everyone else feels about it. It would never feel right to use another controller, I'd always be hindered. And even if I got used to it someday, I don't want to have to re-adjust back to a GC controller, because I know I'll be playing Melee and Brawl too.

As much as a need there would be for a Wii U GC controller, the petition is pointless. One because it won't do any good, and two because the Mayflash adapter exists. Being wireless is not a big deal for me, if it plays just as good I'll gladly settle for it. Although, anyone who's making a custom built Wii U controller, don't let that stop you, I'd certainly like that option.

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
I'm happy using the gamepad, pro controller or cc pro.

its not that bad once you train your hands to use a cc pro controller in smash. i'm as good now or better with a cc pro in brawl/project m

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Don't get your hopes up guys. Your best just learning how to use the new controllers which all work fine. Especially the Pro Controller and CC Pro. I haven't touched a Gamecube controller since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom