• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social All Range Mode!

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
So, um, excited for Star Fox U? Really looking foreard to E3!

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
With Miyamoto in charge I'm kind of concerned that it'll be devoid of content/really basic. Lots of room for improvement. Super hyped though, of course =D

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Especially since it has been years since a new game and I heard assets from the cancled Wii project got broughtover. But I'm afraid it might be pretty basic stuff as well. Similar to something like Star Fox 64. (please no) I'm hyped of course nonetheless.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Yeah I mean I honestly don't rate Miyamoto as a developer these days - there's a difference between keeping it basic and removing depth (something that can be achieved in even the most basic of games but that's a totally different matter) - but I hope I stand to be corrected.

What do you guys want from the game? I want Gamepad integration but I don't want it to just be simply "motion controls to decide where you go" or w/e. I like the idea of looking around your ship's control room with the Gamepad during gameplay, not sure what exactly they could do with that but there's something there I'm sure. Honestly, we can hate on the game all we want but Command was a step in a direction I liked... just its strategy elements were ass and the story was worse than fan fiction.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'd love a multiplayer mode like the one from Starfox Assault, to give it some "endgame" so to speak off.

But it's obviously going to be an interesting game whether we like it or not, my real 2 dime is how Nintendo is planning on doing Amiibo integration with the game, that could get tricky.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Slippy Toad amiibo that you can put in to make him shut the **** up
We triple A now
Triple A!? WE PENTA A'S ALL ACROSS THE BOARD!
I doubt they'd do Slippy though, Falco and Fox sure cause they are SSB4 character, and well maybe Wolf if he gets revealed as the next DLC, or Krystal.

Though I really want some multi-player from it! Use this Falco Amiibo to play Falco in the multiplayer mode and rain death on them with his Sky-Claw! Personally, he prefers the air!

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
A lot of Nintendo games lately have been lacking that depth, imo. They're still fun regardless, but I prefer the older stuff. Call me an old timer if you will.

Look at Smash for example. It's not like Smash4 has as much depth as Melee :foxmelee: :dazwa:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Well, here we go guys. It has been 8/9 years of debate of whether or not Star Fox Command is canon or not. And if so, where will they go from the infamous game?
Hopefully we'll get are answer soon at E3 and end the debate once and for all!

Last edited:

Jet3000

Smash Apprentice
I'm so pumped to see another star fox game. It's been like 10 years since we seen fox in a star fox game. I just hope star fox command ending aren't canon, ugh. Those endings were horrid.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Command was the game that made me despise Krystal. Adventures actually introduced her fine.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
It won't effect my enjoyment if Command is ganon. So long its the better ending...

Really looking forward to the 14th :chuckle:

Edit: that typo :lol:

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Ryu could very well be the most technical character in the entire game with a kit like that!
Oh and Roy being able to angle his Up B is whack as fug!

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Roy social has over four times as many posts as us.

We're an embarrassment.

Alternatively we don't have enough memes about our boy
Fox isn't a popular character in this game due to the nerfs, and the top destroys him in some cases, though the MU is probably better against Falcon now.

BESIDES WE'RE JUST TOO FEW

M@v

Subarashii!
Fox hasn't been touched at all by any of the patches FYI: he's exactly the same as when he started smash 4. If you are referring to melee fox, no fox in any smash game will ever be as good as melee Fox without being ban worthy. As for Brawl, he's a massive improvement from brawl, and Brawl Fox wasn't a bad character.

And as for Roy, Blazer is ridiculous. He's an entire tier higher than he would with that move. It's basically mario's upb except it kill, and kills early. I think it may not be invincible/have super armor once he's arcing upwards though; gotta test it more.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Alicia <3

Yeah the Super Armour ends after about five active frames or so.

I've heard people say that Fox in this game is worse but the engine/other character nerfs make him much better (apparently he was fine in Brawl just MK matchup was godawful?)

M@v

Subarashii!
Alicia <3

Yeah the Super Armour ends after about five active frames or so.

I've heard people say that Fox in this game is worse but the engine/other character nerfs make him much better (apparently he was fine in Brawl just MK matchup was godawful?)
I've been playing through Valkyria Chronicles since Friday because of the Steam Summer sale. $5 (4.43 Euros, I looked it up for you :p) . Probably the best $5 I've ever spent <3

I think Fox in smash 4 is at least on part with brawl fox, but a couple of brawl fox's individual moves were better. Fox example, fair did a whopping 23% damage on a full hit, and it could kill off the top with the last hit if you were in the air. Lastly, it gave you much bigger jump boost if you used it when jumping than it does now. However, it had no sort of spike/dragging properties, so it had ZERO follow up/combo potential, or ability to gimp or spike. You really can't compare the move now on which is better, as fair serves completely different functions in both games. The one move that's straight up worse no matter how you cut it is shine though. Shine is just worse anyway you cut it...yeah you can cancel it off of projectiles in smash 4, but in brawl the move only lasted for an instantly anyway unless you held b, so its not really an upgrade.

Fox could double jab cancel in brawl too; it just wasn't nearly as effective because of lack of hitstun and its power. You could catch some fat characters off guard with it, but they DI out much easier in Brawl. It was best just to do a single jab to another move, or a double jab to another move, rather than go for a lock. That's how I personally discovered the double jab lock in smash 4; I was trying all sorts of brawl fox things, and when I got to double jab cancelling I realized how amazing it was in this version.

Lastly, Fox did ok vs MK. I think it was 4-6 at worst. On same stages it was probably even. Fair was godly vs mk and a super easy way to get safe damage vs him. Had to do a lot of laser camping though, and use your speed and combos to get damage off what little windows you had vs mk since he's a super safe character. Thankfully Fox had some true combos in brawl you could use to help.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Afraid we use sterling in Northern Ireland - don't worry, I got the game on release =D. I have more than a few qualms with the game that keeps me loving it, though... that's a topic for another day when I finish my review/you finish the game. Alicia is definitely one of them, though, her character becomes very dry and dull after the first few chapters D:

23% on Fair is absolutely nuts, what the hell?! Kinda glad that got nerfed.

M@v

Subarashii!
Google lied to meeeeeeee </3. Basically it was dirt cheap. New games here retail for $50-60 USD. I know the games old, but $5 is still a ridiculous steal.

Yeah, I'm getting close to the end of the main story (I THINK), but don't want to do spoiler talk yet.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I missed out on Valkyria Chronicles when it was on sale for $5 *cries* I'm either gonna wait until it is marked down again or just get it for $10. That's still pretty cheap.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
I'd still jump on it for $10 to be honest. Would still of been worth it for me. The game's worth a full price buy imo, let alone 5 or 10. I mean, with how the summer sale works, it may go back down again if it gets voted on, so keep an eye open. Just make sure you at least get it before it goes above $10. There are usually timers to tell you when the sale price stops. Its an excellent turn based strategy game. Only gripe I have with it is I think its too easy outside of a few missions, and even on those, by the 3rd or 4th time you should be able to figure out exactly how to beat the mission, and efficiently. Also, if you don't like cut scenes, this is NOT the game for you. Its like 75% cut scenes , but its a great story overall.

And as for pros, there are just too many to list. This isn't really a spoiler, as its core gameplay mechanics, but probably one of the biggest pros for me is you can develop your technology and class skill levels very liberally, so you can mold your army into basically whatever playstyle you want. So many different types of army strategies and compositions you can choose to go with. As an example, my style is scout and sniper heavy, as I've dumped a lot of my exp, as well as research, into scouts and snipers. Scouts advance quickly and the snipers take out any targets too strong for the scouts. My weakness is when there is lots of armor, as I usually only have a Tank and 1 rocket soldier to deal with them unless I know going into the mission I'll be up against a lot of armor, and then I'll adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I got it for about £15 on release, not sure how much that is in dollars. Definitely worth it.

A huge problem with the game is the fact you can't speed up enemy turns. Sooo frustrating to spend a good 5 minutes watching your opponent move units like two centimetres then they just kill you at the end of all that. Total waste of time. It's also sometimes unclear why things are hitting you sometimes?

The two biggest problems are that one mission in the desert with the tank being mind numbing and the story, for me, being just... meh. It's charming, I'll give it that, but it doesn't really do anything interesting or unpredictable I feel. A charming, nice story would be fine in any game that didn't dedicate sooo much time to watching cutscenes.

Mish. The game is great, I love to nitpick. I just know it could have been so much better which is what upsets me about it ^^;

M@v

Subarashii!
Euros are close to US Dollars atm. 15 Euros=16.93 US Dollars right now. (1 euro is 1.13 US Dollars at the moment, but it fluxes).

And yeah, I can agree with speeding up enemy turns too. On one of the harder missions I was referring to, their turn meter spans like the entire width of the screen and I'm basically sitting there like "Please stop killing me...oh you have like 10 actions left, brb in a few minutes"

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I remember putting the game down for like a week after the enemy spent ten minutes on one turn just to one shot Welkin at the end of the turn anyway. The AI can also be really stupid sometimes? On one mission, an enemy sniper jumped over the same wall to try and shoot me then changed its mind like five times in a row. I'm kind of hoping the good feedback to the PC port prompts them to make a sequel on anything but the PSP/Vita but asking Sega to make good decisions is never going to go well lol.

On Smash, which of three DLC characters are you guys liking? Adoring Roy right now, playing him super aggro and fast like Fox and having a ton of fun.

M@v

Subarashii!
If I was going to play one, I'd probably pick Roy. I've always disliked Lucas in Brawl, same goes here. As for Ryu, I would need to learn to not suck at Street fighter inputs in order to play him properly. I don't mind Ryu -he's usually one of my characters in vs. series games I play - but I was never good at them. You need to use the SF inputs to get the max potential out of him because those inputs make the moves stronger.

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I haven't gotten any of the new dlc quite yet. I'll probably just get Roy and Ryu as I'm not a big Lucus fan and rarely used him in Brawl/Project M.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Roy is very interesting, and the fact he's actually got combos out of his throws is sick

This could utter destroy Fox, especially with Roy's tipper a Dash Attack could probably kill around 90-100 !

I haven't gotten any of the new dlc quite yet. I'll probably just get Roy and Ryu as I'm not a big Lucus fan and rarely used him in Brawl/Project M.
But Lucas has the Hoo Haa!

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
From quick testing on Fox, Roy chaingrabs him with Down throw jab from 0 to around 40, same with every fast faller not named Sheik (for some unknown reason). Honestly in this MU we have to be super boring and fire lasers all day, he wins up close and we'll die to early to challenge him. Seems even at a glance but I may stand corrected.

Roy is so fun though holy **** I cannot stop playing him. The other two also seem really good so maybe Mewtwo is the only garbage one.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
From quick testing on Fox, Roy chaingrabs him with Down throw jab from 0 to around 40, same with every fast faller not named Sheik (for some unknown reason). Honestly in this MU we have to be super boring and fire lasers all day, he wins up close and we'll die to early to challenge him. Seems even at a glance but I may stand corrected.

Roy is so fun though holy **** I cannot stop playing him. The other two also seem really good so maybe Mewtwo is the only garbage one.
Actually every time you block or dodge a tilt you have about 20 frames of punishment open, so a lot of shield grabs.
But Roy is probably one I don't want to fight because of the tipper, and ESPECIALLY because of how his dancing blade works, if he does Side side Up Side he'll get almost no lag on it.

This is a bait and punish game

Top Bottom