• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
tl;dr

basically I say that because you seem to need to get more of the basics down, forget arthurs stupid training process of overanalyzing everything, it works for him for some dumb reason, but it shouldn't work for anyone else.

Basically you just need to get better at the general game, something you'll notice I'm pretty good at, just game sense and playing safe when you need to, execution if you're watching videos you basically know what you need to do/can do, but whats important is you don't get set on that cause every match is different, right? So get used to reacting and the combo's will come later, and the reason I suggest other chars is not to have said you've done it, but because literally it takes the focus off "what do ice climbers do" and it becomes "what is he doing"

any character can wavedash back grab, but is it the right idea? Well, that comes from experience and general practice.

Make Paul play a couple matches and put serious pressure on you the whole time, he's good at it, and you'll see what I mean, you will really need to stretch to rely on his weaknesses not yours.

edit: as a ganon player, trust me, those lazers literally mean theres almost nothing I can do unless he messes up.

Ah, you're still a youngin'

I asked cause once school starts I'll probably actually be able to smash semi-often
WTF
You pretty much said I was wrong and then your tl;dr was pretty much exactly what I said except longer.

Like I said before...
Get basic game sense for now and focus on what your opponent does, not what you do.

And it works for me because I got most of the basics down with my character.

:phone:

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
thanx for the tips brad but i think i understand basic punishment-spacing. also i have to plan around both popo and nana. execution is not as simple as it is with ganon, i literally have more options. i think overanalysis is the only way i will be confident in myself, also my execution is horrible even if i know the right thing to do i often cant because of slow reaction time and sloppy controller work. i often azendash 1 or 2 times in fourstocks
also i dont think i have ever tried wd back grab in a tourney match, but even in a wd back i have more options most char i can pivot after into an ftilt(reliably) and desync nana to blizzard,fsmash grab ect. or dash farther dash back and have nana doing something while im waiting for an approach, shield, cc, and many more. smash is such an awesome game and ics are awesome, i just need to play them like 2-3 years more in serious mode to start winning, i see new ics on the boards every day;)
also paul that sucks but we do have a touney here in calgary on the 11th that sask is probably coming to, you need to put on your "**** falco with falco"face
arthur dont u mean basics of your characters

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
Hmmm Some input from a player that doesn't play melee at all!

Honestly, I can't tell any difference between your tech skill (Clarke) and like... Brads. And then theirs people like Arthur and Paul with crazy tech skill.

Like everyone in Melee has better tech skill than me, as long as you guys can L-Cancel and ****.

However when watching/playing Brad what I do notice is he KNOWS when to approach, and WHEN to use his moves. While you KNOW HOW to use your moves, and use them well, you don't know WHEN to use the moves that will help your game play.

ie; I can do decently well against some melee players by just spacing fair/bair on Jigglypuff, because I have an idea of what to do, and avoid your moves by spacing. Players like Brad would just punish me because I only use 2 moves ( Except those 2 moves don't have much punishment haha)

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore...

tldr; focus more on what YOU should do. Than what your character can do.

Can I go in and actually hit him and win the trade without him hitting me.

vs

I NEED TO GRAB HIM SO I CAN WOBBLE. x 5000 > players avoid grab.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
So what's the plan then? Should we crazy hype our own August 11th tourney, and get Edmonton and Saskatchewan coming out, or should we find a way to travel up to Edmonton on Friday and stay for the weekend?

BTW ppl were loving Brawl on Saturday Hansel. I don't see why everyone can't just play both games. Heck, Arthur even found a main. A very spammy pillaring main.

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
PIKACHU?

And LOL I've been wanting to get into melee for a while. Just need a damn controller.

AND HYPE OUR TOURNEY. I CAN'T GO TO EDMONTON LOL

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Hansel I can buy you the new white controller as along as you pay me back (~$35), I'll even cover the shipping cost. If your looking for a cheaper alternative than go to stores that still sell used ones...

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
So what's the plan then? Should we crazy hype our own August 11th tourney, and get Edmonton and Saskatchewan coming out, or should we find a way to travel up to Edmonton on Friday and stay for the weekend?

BTW ppl were loving Brawl on Saturday Hansel. I don't see why everyone can't just play both games. Heck, Arthur even found a main. A very spammy pillaring main.
brawl is actualyy one of the main event games in edmonton they even have an extra pot bonus too and its on saturday so ya if your a brawl player and considering going go for it .

ill probably going to play marvel so yaa , im still sad melee couldnt be moved :[

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Hmmm Some input from a player that doesn't play melee at all!

Honestly, I can't tell any difference between your tech skill (Clarke) and like... Brads. And then theirs people like Arthur and Paul with crazy tech skill.

Like everyone in Melee has better tech skill than me, as long as you guys can L-Cancel and ****.

However when watching/playing Brad what I do notice is he KNOWS when to approach, and WHEN to use his moves. While you KNOW HOW to use your moves, and use them well, you don't know WHEN to use the moves that will help your game play.

ie; I can do decently well against some melee players by just spacing fair/bair on Jigglypuff, because I have an idea of what to do, and avoid your moves by spacing. Players like Brad would just punish me because I only use 2 moves ( Except those 2 moves don't have much punishment haha)

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore...

tldr; focus more on what YOU should do. Than what your character can do.

Can I go in and actually hit him and win the trade without him hitting me.

vs

I NEED TO GRAB HIM SO I CAN WOBBLE. x 5000 > players avoid grab.

My character pillars like a boss lol

Man Brawl is so fun with this char

First thing I'm going to do the next time I see Hansel/James is play Brawl

OMG I can SHDF with him lol

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Sid, I would come if I wasn't working, you know it's legit.

Also that recording test for twitch, was that using your Dazzle? you never got back to me on that google thing you were talking about.

Silly Brad!
See, Arthur, the thing is, there is a difference, and what you said isn't "wrong" just I think he should focus on it from a different light. Thats all, like I said, you focus on techy stuff, I just want him to fight them.

execution is not as simple as it is with ganon, i literally have more options.
=V WHAAAT? NO WAY!

Thats because I have no tech skill lol

But yeah Arthur/Clarke this is pretty much exactly what I said, Hansel gets it, you need to learn to fight them, like don't learn how to mash your carpul tunnel into a controller, just virtually punch them in the face.

Ain't nothin' wrong with Brawl, it's just a party game.

And LOL I've been wanting to get into melee for a while. Just need a damn controller.
Yeah, get on that, would love to see it.

because im sooo lazy all the time
Spoken like a true man covered in kfc grease.

You really should come out more though dude, you know what I mean when I say, new smash just isn't the same as old smash.

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Aites so from now on we will be streaming all our events. The video channel can be found here: http://www.twitch.tv/calgarysmash

Videos are recorded after stream ends so you can watch them. I'll export videos to youtube as well.

And Brad, I tried with Google, but their software was still primitive for this type of streaming. For recording I used Dazzle and FME. It works well enough that we get a decent stream and quality.

Mripod128

Smash Cadet
Aites so from now on we will be streaming all our events. The video channel can be found here: http://www.twitch.tv/calgarysmash

Videos are recorded after stream ends so you can watch them. I'll export videos to youtube as well.

And Brad, I tried with Google, but their software was still primitive for this type of streaming. For recording I used Dazzle and FME. It works well enough that we get a decent stream and quality.
Try using Ustream, it's not a very popular streaming tool but it works really well with Dazzle and FME. I would know, I use that same type of setup all the time for my streams and I get 0 lag, with a semi-good computer.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
i dont think i have ever played fast and have barely practiced shffls and other compared to arthur. my first chars were jiggs and falcon cause i HAVE POOR TECH SKILL. i just play computers wayy too often, also the amount of options i have with nana is exeptional. altho most of the options serve redundant purposes because of better coverage the amount of options is much greater. i tried to type out every move ics had and stopped after 3 pages standard times new roman font size 12. ganon does have less options and i will not debate this furthur because you will not change my mind. it takes extra time to learn ics, and i am fine with that but if you still think i play very fast or focus on grab>death too much most of my kills come from poorly di'ed smashes at low percent and you can ask around the community,there is much more fear of my dsmash than getting grabbed cause the only 0-death wobbling i have done is on moe's pika with missed sdi at the start. i practice wavedashes mostly and mapping out how far horrizontally i can go in a shffl or shl so i can work on poking people with uairs
also arthur my spammy kirby vs your spammy luigi
ics are better than ganon but execution is much harder, @ our level of play i realize i could win without cgs, wobbling ect. but not for much longer. everyone in calgary now knows this matchup and simple spacing/ punishing is not enough to work around major disadvantages in priority. this has been illustrated by you in the most clear manner, even with using your range, and spacing people well you just dont play a character that can be played at the highest level. ics can play at the highest level with so little examples that it reinforces my point on the effort and skill it takes to play ic's. i think you should switch your char IF you want to win. winning doesnt prove much @ this level and you know it.
im getting serious on learning how to win not very serious on winning itself because u r all scrubs anyways;)
+everyone has seen genesis 2 crew battles, and as i mentioned earlier ics are important in crew battles simply because of FEAR

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
how many ****ing times do i have to say it. they are not confirmed but he said PROBABLY posted this multiple times and answered questions in person.
wow, arthur do you have me on ignore or something? cant see my posts?

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Ben, since Shiro can't move the tournament, are we going to have one on the 11th?

Is Saskatchewan confirmed to come?

And if there's any hardware issues I could use my laptop as well

Arthur, we still have a room booked for the 11th. Stop assuming that magically Saskatchewan is in the loop though. TALK TO SASKATCHEWAN AND ****ING CONFIRM THEM URSELF BRO!!!

Paul, are you goin up still? I'm a little tempted to come up for win brawl

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace

Arthur, we still have a room booked for the 11th. Stop assuming that magically Saskatchewan is in the loop though. TALK TO SASKATCHEWAN AND ****ING CONFIRM THEM URSELF BRO!!!

Paul, are you goin up still? I'm a little tempted to come up for win brawl
Clarke said he talked to them or something, I dunno.

You can't go, Brawl in Alberta Beatdown 3 is scheduled on the 11th as well.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
long post
Actually, no one knows the ics matchup, you just need more games with people. And I don't understand what you're trying to say, but im pretty sure the others are just telling you that you need to get the general basics down still.

:phone:

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
most of that long post was addressing brad's response to my belief that ics are harder to execute with than ganon and that they have extra options that distract me from real growth as a player. i do appreiciate everyone's imput and im sorry for ranting about myself. also i went to weeklies for about a year trying new stuff everytime working new chaingrabs and desyncs. people like arthur and daniel actually understand the matchup very well. i am probably just REALLY predictable and it has nothing to do with the matchup.
also, Brad is wrong;)
lol i forgot about that thread, taught me alot when it was posted
read the boards? is that addressed @ me or tyson cause pretty much all i do is read stuff on the boards 5+hours yesterday
lol @ matt, sooo persistant
wow cc->shine can punish illusion never thought of that

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I actually don't know the IC's matchup, I just know the Clarke matchup lol

I play against IC's like I do against any other character that I don't know the matchup against, lots of retreating lasers into advancing pillars.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Ah, cool, I figured as much, not to mention the cross-streaming lag would be rediculous

Try using Ustream, it's not a very popular streaming tool but it works really well with Dazzle and FME. I would know, I use that same type of setup all the time for my streams and I get 0 lag, with a semi-good computer.
ustream < Twitch.

I support this post, Ben telling people to do their own ****

how many ****ing times do i have to say it. they are not confirmed but he said PROBABLY posted this multiple times and answered questions in person.
wow, arthur do you have me on ignore or something? cant see my posts?
This and then

Clarke said he talked to them or something, I dunno.

You can't go, Brawl in Alberta Beatdown 3 is scheduled on the 11th as well.
This.

Best joke I've heard in a while (it's a twofor, because after asking Ben something he knows nothing about (read: Saskatchewan) he proceeds to assume Ben can't go to the tournament on the 11th simply because Paul can't)

I actually don't know the IC's matchup, I just know the Clarke matchup lol
^the point I was making to Clarke, you need to improve, I've said NOTHING about IC's, I've just said you need to get better without IC's cause they're dragging you down.

And I have no idea what you're talking about Ganon is the best character in the game, IC's got nothing on him

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I just miss the days when people cared about my posts.

(A random factoid for the new kids out there: I am the sole reason the alberta thread doesn't count towards your post total)

Top Bottom